Imagine that, Sherm with something negative to say

thegameq

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2vtihc2w said:
SoulfishHawk":2vtihc2w said:
I guess the Ravens and Bears with historic defenses squandered their chances as well. Plenty of great teams have only won a single title. But making it back to back? That's pretty damn impressive.
I hate this argument. ...b-b-b-b-but the Bears and Ravens weren't dynasties, weren't they squandered? The thing about this statement is it has more nuance than just numbers, which is all that you're looking at. You need to take into consideration the team composition, coaching changes, etc. In the 1985 Bears case their workhorse RB Walter Payton was near the end of his career. In 1986 they also went through four different QB's due to injury, and ineffective play. McMahon only played 6 games in 86 and 7 games in 87. The bears also lost the architect of that legendary defense, Buddy Ryan to the Eagles. The 46 defense was also still a new gimmick that the 85 Bears used to trounce their opponents. Ditka also failed to replace guys that left in free agency or got old. The Bears never really had a decent QB outside of McMahon, but McMahon wasn't able to stay on the field. In 1987 Sweetness was worn out, and ready to be put out to pasture. Ditka also made stupid decisions like putting Leslie Frashier on special teams, only to have his knee torn, ending his career.

The Ravens, like the Bears had no Quarterback. They replaced Dilfer with Elvis Grbac, whom turned out to be a downgrade. Jamal Lewis got injured before the start of the season, and the RB's who replaced him didn't do that much. Salary cap purge happens and the Ravens lose many players, and Ray Lewis misses most of the season. This is a case of unfortunate injuries, and lack of a Quarterback. The Ravens went through Kyle Boller, Elvis Grbac, Anthony Wright, glue factory special Randall Cunningham, Chris Redman, and Jeff Blake.

The Seahawks were regarded as dynasty potential, because not only did they have a defense that was at least on par with the Ravens and Bears, but they also had a young top 10 Quarterback, one of the best backs in the NFL at the time, and had solid receivers. Doug Baldwin, Miller, Kearse and Tate were also young, and were far better than the Raven, and Bear units. The Ravens and Bears were stuck in QB hell, and were constantly a revolving door. In most cases they didn't even get average Quarterback play whilst the Seahawks had a franchise Quarterback that was already a top 10 QB at the end of his second year, and arguably a top 10 QB in his rookie year. The Seahawks were in a unique situation compared to the Ravens and Bears. They were a balanced team, the situation mirrored that of the 2001 upstart Patriots, only in my opinion the Seahawks were much scarier than that team on paper.

Great post!

Sherm is just giving voice to the frustration that himself, fellow LOBers, and fans are feeling:

"What the hell happened?!?"
"We had it all, we were supposed to be the next dynasty?"
"We were supposed to be the next New England."
"All of us could see the slow decline and deficiencies on the field, why didn't the coaches?"
"Whose to blame?"

Going from a dominant force to a mid-pack performer sucks when you're used to being a true Super Bowl threat. It's probably worse when you see the decline taking place all around you--worse when you feel like nothing is being done.

Frustration and venting is all it is......

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":23zpq6e3 said:
MontanaHawk05":23zpq6e3 said:
pittpnthrs":23zpq6e3 said:
MontanaHawk05":23zpq6e3 said:
We were winning and firmly in contention the entire time, until 2017 when injury and a bad kicker killed us. There was no major glaring problem to fix until that happened.

In contention of what? Wildcard slots and NFC West titles? We certainly werent in contention for another Super Bowl.

You need those wildcard slots and NFC west titles to qualify for a Super Bowl. Not sure why they constitute some "poor man's playoffs" tier in your opinion. Even the 2013 Seahawks didn't look like the Patriots week in and week out. That's revisionist history.

They constitute a 'poor man's playoff' because they had no shot at the Super Bowl even when in the playoffs the last couple seasons. Carolina drummed us up in 2015 and probably could have scored 60 on us if Rivera hadnt called off the dogs in the 2nd half, no way in hell we were going to beat Atlanta in 2016, and we didnt even make the playoffs last year. Yeah we made the playoffs in 15' and 16' but we were pretenders,,,, not contenders.

Bullshit.

Beastquake.

"Do we belong now".

Have we all so quickly forgotten? We weren't dismissing playoff qualifications then, and we weren't wrong. We were quite happy to get into the playoffs then, and we had hopes for the next game. The only thing that's changed is our expectations.

Or shall I invoke the 2005 Steelers? Wild card team. On the road for the entire postseason. Dismissed as also-rans. THEY WON. I'll spare you the identification of the NFC opponent they climbed over to do it.

There are playoff pretenders, but not nearly as many as you claim. Clinging to the "lost their way" narrative in an attempt to dismiss injury and bad personnel moves as culprits is intellectual dishonesty, nothing more. We were a good, worthy team that just didn't make it.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Do you think he may be making a brand for himself over in Ninahville? What are his shirt sales like there? What are his brand sales like over there? Maybe he is using his communications major for himself again.

When he was here, he was branding himself after he got starts. For the next few years he did the same thing. LOB man LOB man.

Now he has to rebrand himself to make more money and to bring his new team some excitement. The best way to do that is to dump on his old team/his new rivalry. And he is doing just that. In effect making his brand still strong while dissing the old team that has no matter anymore to him.

I think personally that he is one of them that stopped buying in as well. When he attacked the coaching staff, the chip on his shoulder turned into mud....and it got washed away.

NEXT MAN UP.

chris98251

Reaction score
Steve2222":20g8rscv said:
chris98251":20g8rscv said:
I see Sherman as Jerry Rice coming to the Seahawks, maybe with a little more in the tank but very similar.

Bad comparison. Rice had zero left in the tank when he came here. Sherman still has juice left. All Pro Sherman is however done.

Where does not understanding Sherm has a bit more in the tank then Rice did not equate, going from a legend on a Super Bowl Team to a contender in the division as a mentor and teacher.

I see them as very similar, as far as something left in the tank as well, how many games has Sherman played on those to Achilles tears so far.

If your going to tear apart a comment leave more then just a open ended statement.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I think PC is riding a fine line between being a rah-rah player friendly coach and a coach that actually requires maximum performance AND the proper level of discipline from his players. Starting way back with Lynch who was pretty much allowed to do and say anything he wanted, only played when he felt like it, etc. When a coach allows a player or players so much freedom to do and say whatever they want, what are all of the other players on the team going to say and do? If Lynch/Sherman can do that kind of crap and the coach allows it, the whole roster can say, well if he can do it so can I and there goes the entire team discipline. What would the Patriots do with these types of players?

Entitled players are allowed to be entitled by their coaches and this is a big part of the problem. Sherman and Lynch going bananas on the sidelines, yelling & giving the finger to coaches is another glaring example of the loss of respect between the players & coaches, that is a primary reason they are gone, PC wants a more disciplined team with less controversial players with HUGE egos and SMALL brains (as ET is now showing the world how great he is in his own mind as he thinks he deserves 13-14 million a year and holds out to get it.) IMO-The best option for ET is ignore him completely and if and when he comes into camp, make him compete for the position he thinks he unquestionably owns. Retirement may end up being ET's best option unless the Seahawks can convince Cleveland to give them a 2020 5-th round pick, ET should really love playing in Cleveland because it's closer to Texas than Seattle. Shape up or ship out seems to be the new Seahawks mantra & it's about time.

PC needs to apply a lot more discipline & accountability to both coaches and players on his team in order to have optimum success. Every garden needs weeding from time to time and you usually start the weeding process with the big ugly ones taken out first.

:smilingalien:

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":338vwgbj said:
Losing their way I think means not holding certain coaches accountable, also paying guys to come in more then those that contributed and have them bust. Those mistakes are what pissed off the LOB and Sherman, why those are the only ones that have held out at all during the Carroll Era.

Pretty much agree but also a good example of what Sherman is talking about is valid IMO and that is trading Unger and picks for Graham. That was a double shot against the run game losing Unger and also Graham being the weak link in blocking took us from what we were all about. Also Graham being soft took us away from what we were all about (smashmouth) 2 Prime examples of when Pete swings for the fences, he tends to let the bat fly out of his hands (Harvin / Graham).

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1bqyreqc said:
Maybe he should concentrate on his new team instead of talking about the Hawks after the fact.
And we only made the Super Bowl back to back years because of the D? They don't make EITHER of them w/out Russ as well.

They make both of them without Russ.

He's only become a star because Marshawn and the D started deteriorating.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":271xz2yr said:
Bullshit.

Beastquake.

"Do we belong now".

Have we all so quickly forgotten? We weren't dismissing playoff qualifications then, and we weren't wrong. We were quite happy to get into the playoffs then, and we had hopes for the next game. The only thing that's changed is our expectations.

Or shall I invoke the 2005 Steelers? Wild card team. On the road for the entire postseason. Dismissed as also-rans. THEY WON. I'll spare you the identification of the NFC opponent they climbed over to do it.

There are playoff pretenders, but not nearly as many as you claim. Clinging to the "lost their way" narrative in an attempt to dismiss injury and bad personnel moves as culprits is intellectual dishonesty, nothing more. We were a good, worthy team that just didn't make it.

No we really didnt belong. We were 7-9 for cripes sake and won a fluke game at home that was more remembered for one play than the entirety of it. We played a decent Bears team after that and appropriately lost. The 'Anything can happen as long as you make it' mantra is the most tired saying around here ever. The Steelers and Giants had the stars line up for them years ago and fanbases cling on to that for some reason when its so unlikely to happen that its practically a myth. In 2015 and 2016 the Seahawks really werent worthy and good enough to win it. They got stomped at the first hint of playing a good team and lost like most football fans knew they would. Pretenders.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":12p78oq9 said:
MontanaHawk05":12p78oq9 said:
Bullshit.

Beastquake.

"Do we belong now".

No we really didnt belong. We were 7-9 for cripes sake and won a fluke game at home that was more remembered for one play than the entirety of it. We played a decent Bears team after that and appropriately lost. The 'Anything can happen as long as you make it' mantra is the most tired saying around here ever.

You must not have any fun at all being a fan.

Needless to say, I disagree and am walking away from this line.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3syhk96m said:
pittpnthrs":3syhk96m said:
MontanaHawk05":3syhk96m said:
Bullshit.

Beastquake.

"Do we belong now".

No we really didnt belong. We were 7-9 for cripes sake and won a fluke game at home that was more remembered for one play than the entirety of it. We played a decent Bears team after that and appropriately lost. The 'Anything can happen as long as you make it' mantra is the most tired saying around here ever.

I don't know what this guy is going on about. That was one of the most legendary games in Seahawk history. One of the worst teams ever to make the playoffs, came in and smacked the defending Super Bowl champions. To top it off the game we got the greatest runs of all time. Even the announcers who are usually drab had the enthusiasm of Mexican soccer commentators.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Put down the pipe Six. No, they do NOT make the Super Bowl without Russ, period. :roll:
Yet another "fan" who refuses to acknowledge what Russ means to this team and the winning.
Or w/out the Defense and running game.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":10ndjckm said:

I have plenty of fun, but I dont have unrealistic expectations. I had no aspirations of beating the Panthers in 15' and even less against the Falcons in 16'. They lost both games as expected. We'll agree to disagree on the subject but I dont know why some fans allow their hearts to cloud their judgement so often.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3ha5aa5h said:
I don't know what this guy is going on about. That was one of the most legendary games in Seahawk history. One of the worst teams ever to make the playoffs, came in and smacked the defending Super Bowl champions. To top it off the game we got the greatest runs of all time. Even the announcers who are usually drab had the enthusiasm of Mexican soccer commentators.

It was an awesome game to watch and tons of fun, but it was meaningless in the grand scheme of things. The Bears whipped us the following week like they should have. In context of the subject, beating New Orleans that years didnt make us Super Bowl favorites or anything on those lines. It was a fluke win and the Bears cemented that the following week.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Beast Quake game was not meaningless. It was an incredibly entertaining night and we beat the defending champs as heavy home underdogs. I'll never feel like that game didn't matter, ever. Saints came in expecting the Hawks to lay down and go smacked in the mouth. It also set a tone for the future w/that group of players.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3kamwskf said:
Beast Quake game was not meaningless. It was an incredibly entertaining night and we beat the defending champs as heavy home underdogs. I'll never feel like that game didn't matter, ever. Saints came in expecting the Hawks to lay down and go smacked in the mouth. It also set a tone for the future w/that group of players.

That set the tone for everything after, the impossible made possible, believing in each other, setting the demeanor of the team going forward. So much came from that game and that run.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":35o2d64i said:
I guess the Ravens and Bears with historic defenses squandered their chances as well. Plenty of great teams have only won a single title. But making it back to back? That's pretty damn impressive.
Yep, AND, the Wilson, Lynch combo were also a big part of the Seahawks success too.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
chris98251":2smqclkq said:
SoulfishHawk":2smqclkq said:

That set the tone for everything after, the impossible made possible, believing in each other, setting the demeanor of the team going forward. So much came from that game and that run.

I would say Russell Wilson panning out is what made all that possible. The New Orleans win gave us an entertaining game and another week of football. That's about it in my opinion. I don't feel it set the stage for future success. We had the same record and missed the playoffs the following season.

erik2690

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":gzdfbg35 said:
MontanaHawk05":gzdfbg35 said:
pittpnthrs":gzdfbg35 said:
MontanaHawk05":gzdfbg35 said:
We were winning and firmly in contention the entire time, until 2017 when injury and a bad kicker killed us. There was no major glaring problem to fix until that happened.

In contention of what? Wildcard slots and NFC West titles? We certainly werent in contention for another Super Bowl.

You need those wildcard slots and NFC west titles to qualify for a Super Bowl. Not sure why they constitute some "poor man's playoffs" tier in your opinion. Even the 2013 Seahawks didn't look like the Patriots week in and week out. That's revisionist history.

They constitute a 'poor man's playoff' because they had no shot at the Super Bowl even when in the playoffs the last couple seasons. Carolina drummed us up in 2015 and probably could have scored 60 on us if Rivera hadnt called off the dogs in the 2nd half, no way in hell we were going to beat Atlanta in 2016, and we didnt even make the playoffs last year. Yeah we made the playoffs in 15' and 16' but we were pretenders,,,, not contenders.

I just don't agree. In 2015 we had the offense clicking and yes that CAR game was ugly, but good teams can have ugly games. And that game swung so much on bad o-line play. 2016 I think people forget how big of a swing that one holding call on the punt return was. Not saying we would have won but that call and the safety again based on bad o-line play really swung that game. Again when you are one of the final 8 teams and games swing so heavily on single plays I have trouble with your logic. That 2015 team in particular was pretty solid.