There are Doubters, then there's This Guy

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
I agree with Largent. The cupboard is way barer compared to what we had just at the beginning of last year.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I don’t think we lost 5 WAR in talent. Media is just tagging along on Sherman comments. It’s been overblown.

We are still more talented than the 9ers and Cardinals, we will likely split. You are telling me we lose 10 of the remaining 12 games? Nah. Not unless both Pete and Russell have been broken in half. Are we forgetting Pete went 7-9 with 200000 transactions of nobodies? He has never had a team win less than 6.

We played half the season without most of these guys out due to injury (Bobby also injured) anyways. We went 50/50 ish in a tough part of the schedule facing a number of playoff teams during that time. We stand to be a better team than our second half team from last year?

Tical21

Reaction score
My fear is that Schottenheimer and Norton are going to call antiquated games. It's nice to go back to basics and run the ball more, but if opposing defenses already have a book on exactly how to shut down your scheme, you're treading water with weights around your ankles. Same for the defense. If that happens, and we can't run, we aren't going to get that far on talent alone.

We have Earl, Russ, Doug, Bobby, KJ, Brown. Next tier we really only have Frank and Reed. Then EVERYBODY else is average at best at present. Not even above average. Maybe McDougald. Point is, we're going to go as far as the young talent that emerges takes us. If guys like Jordan, Shaqs, the young o-line, Lockett/Darboh, whomever else step up big, we can be really good. If not many guys step up to be more than average, that is a whole lot of average guys on a football team, and bad records then come into play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1zu2mp63 said:
I don’t think we lost 5 WAR in talent. Media is just tagging along on Sherman comments. It’s been overblown.

We are still more talented than the 9ers and Cardinals, we will likely split. You are telling me we lose 10 of the remaining 12 games? Nah. Not unless both Pete and Russell have been broken in half. Are we forgetting Pete went 7-9 with 200000 transactions of nobodies? He has never had a team win less than 6.

We played half the season without most of these guys out due to injury (Bobby also injured) anyways. We went 50/50 ish in a tough part of the schedule facing a number of playoff teams during that time. We stand to be a better team than our second half team from last year?

I don't either, and I'm not saying I'm predicting 4-12 like this guy. I'm more in the 8-8 realm, just because I think Russell keeps us in games and gives us 3-4 chances at pulling out games late.

But I do see a scenario where if our offense doesn't become good at running the ball, controlling the clock and scoring 24-30 pts a game to help out a re-building young defense? I certainly can see a 4-12 scenario where our offense is like last year's offense, and our defense is worse.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
I dont see 4-12, unless Wilson and Wagner get hurt or we just get ultra conservative on Offense and defense. I see any were 8-8 to 12-4 I know its a wide range but until I see the offense and defense in a game or 2 its tough to say

HawkerD

Reaction score
For the Hawks, the difference between a 4-12 season and a 10-6 season could be as little as a few failed 3rd down conversion for the O or stops for the D. Too many slow starts or a misplays on special teams. Of course injuries will be big. This team simply doesn't have the depth or a talent disparity to overcome adversity. So when making a prediction regarding record the are so many assumptions taking place that it is impossible to be right or wrong.

Before 2017, the division was down. The Rams are clearly the class of the division and my personal opinion is that the Niners will be a plus team with an easier schedule. regardless of my hopes, my expectations aren't all that great because of all the factors working against the Hawks.

Cons:
Depth
Overall talent
Outspoken veteran leadership
Division rivals
Unproven O-line and running game

Pros:
Wilson
LB's
Doug
12's

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Cmon, the only year the division wasnt competitive was 2016. Don't forget the Arians Cardinals rose to power just as the Harbaugh niners fell off.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":gaakueqy said:
Trrrroy":gaakueqy said:
When was the last time a team with a healthy top 5 qb went 4-12?

2015 San Diego Chargers went 4-12.

- Brees played on three straight 7-9 teams
- Eli Manning was 6-10, 6-10 and 3-13 three of the past four years
- Favre went 4-12 in 2005
- Matt Ryan went 4-12 and 6-10 in 2012 and 2013
- Cam Newton went 2-14 in 2010

Is it likely we go 4-12 with a healthy Russell? No, but to say "hey he's too good for us to stink" is not an accurate opinion.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This guy's opinion is seriously wrong, it fails to acknowledge any positive offseason move, Cable, Bevell, and Richard, and overemphasizes the losses the team has had in Sherman, Bennett, Avril, Chancellor, Richardson, and Graham. The writer's perspective is reflective of a real lack of understanding of the team's young depth and why the players already here could step forward and be special. By the way just exactly how is the team's roster crumbling all around Wilson?

He will be eating some cold crow by the end of the year. I say Whatever to this very biased and uniformed article.

Cough, BS!

D

DomeHawk

Apologize if someone has already stated this, but the perception that we will be terrible is based upon the theory that we have lost most of our star players. While there is some truth in that, it doesn't account for the fact that those same players were already getting long in the tooth. This is the Belichick model that you don't wait too long to change rosters. And, let's face it, this has become more and more of a young man's game.

Fortune favors the bold.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I don't want to finalize a season record prediction when I haven't even seen the preseason games. They will tell a lot about the new "schemes" on OL and the offense in general. I think many are ignoring the draft prospects and their upside and not factoring them into predictions, IF, several perform exceptionally. + The Seahawks always seem to find a gem or two among the late round/UDFA guys and they have several players drafted higher this year with starter potential, It may be best to see what these newcomers can do before making the dire 4-12 type predictions. That's all I intend to mean by this post. Seems like the dude that wrote this partially used draft grades as a guide, teams with better graded drafts were generally rated by him much higher, the perceived low Seahawk draft grade was a factor IMO in his 4-12 prediction. Using the flawed logic that anything coming from the media idiots like - grades & rankings - are gospel.

To me, the defensive depth is the biggest concern, however I think the preseason MAY show that they have enough good players to remain in at least in the above average range. My hope is that the new running game plans work out well, allow for a ball control offense/field position game & allow the defense more rest. If I see that is true in the preseason, I'll likely be thinking between 10-12 wins with a realistic possibility to do even better. Avoiding the injury bug will be paramount to accomplishing these numbers of wins and by the law of averages, this should be a down year on injuries for a change (hopefully).

I personally prefer being positive about my teams chances, it's so much less stressful when I believe they are going to win a lot more than they lose. I can hope they win every game even though I may know deep down that may be just a little bit
unrealistic. If anything, the game is never over until the final whistle as we have learned over the last few seasons, a lot of those games ended up being "stress filled" and exciting to watch - WINS, and an occasional sad clunker. It makes me a proud fan knowing that they are in almost every game with at least a good chance to win. Go Hawks.
:smilingalien:

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Trrrroy":9ic5q2d1 said:
When was the last time a team with a healthy top 5 qb went 4-12?

If it happens to the Hawks this year PC is probably done

TwilightError

Reaction score
Pretty certain that this will go along like any Seahawks season. The start will be hard, there will be some unexpected losses but they will get it together at some point and they will finish strong. Last season was an anomaly, due to some problems with veterans and the fact that there was no kicker in the team. Just some random nervous wreck who dressed like one.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qbubnj6r said:
Well, like I said in another thread if the combo of Solari, Schottenheimer and our RB's, O-line don't work out.........it could get 4-12 ugly.

Our D-line has major holes, other than Clark there are no proven stars. Same with the defensive backfield, especially if Earl holds out.

If the offense rebounds in the run game and we can play some smash mouth ball control play action offense that can score 24-30 pts a game? Yeah, we have a shot at competing.

But if the offense does what it did last year, stink in the run game and Russell has to account for 90% of the offensive output running for his life trying to make plays? 4-12 could happen my friend.
4 & 12 ugly ? BWAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAA.
You're souring all the hell on Wilson,,,4 & 12?...C'mon Sargie-Large, get serious man. :pukeface:
Worst case scenario I see -> MAYBE <-another 9 - 7 Season if the Run Game don't pan out & that's not being homer, I'm just more confident that Russell Wilson is WAY BETTER than you're giving him credit. SMH.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
9-7 worst case? I think that would be a good record given how much talent we have lost and how we have to actually develop their replacements with real-game experience. Wilson could play great and we could still go 7-9. Look at Drew Brees the past few seasons before this one, it's certainly possible.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Pete Carroll got a team of nobodies to go 7-9 with Tavaris Jackson as QB and an offense that lost 6-3 to the Browns. 9 wins the floor of the Russell Wilson Seahawks.

Msfann

Reaction score
I went into a Subway the other day and I was wearing my championship hat and the first thing the guy said was "living in the past?", I didn't say anything and kept ordering my sandwich and he said "Are you ready for a 6-10 season?" I said probably and kept ordering.

Moron cost himself a tip and I won't go back to Subway again. They don't have to be Seahawks fans but they don't need to be jerks about it either. Subway is garbage.