Why wasn't Paul Richardson retained?

mikeak

Reaction score
seabowl":3txua4ae said:
mikeak":3txua4ae said:
Hawker8989":3txua4ae said:
5 years and 40 million with Washington. That's only 8 million per season. Only 26 years old. I thought he was a real good player. Does the front office see something else?

I think he is a household name by end of the season. Loved his game from the first time I saw him play. Feel free to quote me later if I am wrong

Name one receiver that became s household name with Alex Smith throwing to him?

Give me six months then see above......

But regardless Kelce is known. Maybe not household but NFL household :)

Dang3Russ

Reaction score
I loved Richardson since we drafted him and he is a complete deep threat that could make a name for himself in the NFL. He is not the healthiest guy and giving him a long time deal is a a huge risk which I am glad the Seahawks didn't make.

We have like $9.3 M in dead money this season. We can't afford anymore if we want to continue year in and year out.

Lockett has had a couple injury season the past few years and wasn't playing at full strength last year. If he comes in 100%, he replaces Richardson deep threat. He has more upside. Baldwin continues to play the Slott and Marshall does it all.

I wish Richardson all the best in Washington and hope he does become the star he played like last year. Always will be a fan of PRich. Wish he could of stayed, but Seahawks have a game plan and they need to follow it to make the team compete once again.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Richardson has potential, however that potential is limited by his health. The reality is we cant keep everyone and if Healthy Lockett can also be a deep threat, So there is some redundancy. We will see how it all works out.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He was hurt all the time? Have you not watched Seahawks football from 2014-Now?

Jville

Reaction score
Couple of points of reflection ........

The major injuries to both Richardson and Lockett were characterized as accidents. Both cases involved a pass that was accidentally under thrown combined with a defender who accidentally ran up on the back of the legs of a receiver. Both Richardson and Lockett suffered injury due to similar accidents.

The current 2018 dead cap figure has grown to roughly 14.4 million dollars which ranks 11th highest. There is another 9 1/2 million tied up in Chancellor and 1 1/2 million tied up in McDowell. The Seahawk dead cap number is going to grow to something over 25 million. So 2018 has arrived as the year to pay up. Going forward ...... the Seahawks will easily climb into the top ten in dead cap money and possibly into the top 5.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":1fma4zqu said:

The major injuries to both Richardson and Lockett were characterized as accidents. Both cases involved a pass that was accidentally under thrown combined with a defender who accidentally ran up on the back of the legs of a receiver. Both Richardson and Lockett suffered injury due to similar accidents.

Richardon's injury history is long and detailed, so I'm not cool with putting him into the same "accidental fluke" category like Tyler.

Richardson tore his MCL and ACL in college, tore his ACL again against the Panthers in the playoffs, missed all of the 2015 season with a serious hamstring injury............and yes has only missed one game the past two years. But was dinged up quite a bit which caused him to disappear for large chunks of games being ineffective.

All of this spells no thanks to 8M a year for five years. Has some serious flash, but NOWHERE near the consistency needed to give a 2nd contract too. Especially for a team desperate to shed cap.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Because he was an injury prone, #3 quality WR who will make a crazy catch every now and then player?

rcaido

Reaction score
I like him, he made big catches...The way the Seahawks play though, they can just get cheap FA players instead. Money needed else where.

I think we may do the same for Lockett if Penny can return those punts.

chris98251

Reaction score
rcaido":36vdvvd5 said:
I like him, he made big catches...The way the Seahawks play though, they can just get cheap FA players instead. Money needed else where.

Penny will not be returning kicks after his first full game, if he is what we think he is they will not risk him getting hurt on a fluke cut and or tackle.

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":2zbya9jz said:
rcaido":2zbya9jz said:

Penny will not be returning kicks after his first full game, if he is what we think he is they will not risk him getting hurt on a fluke cut and or tackle.

But they do with Lockett? Do you mean if Penny becomes a flat out stud RB? It'd be difficult to ascertain that after one game.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":o53vnutp said:
Jville":o53vnutp said:

Richardon's injury history is long and detailed, so I'm not cool with putting him into the same "accidental fluke" category like Tyler.

Richardson tore his MCL and ACL in college, tore his ACL again against the Panthers in the playoffs, missed all of the 2015 season with a serious hamstring injury............and yes has only missed one game the past two years. But was dinged up quite a bit which caused him to disappear for large chunks of games being ineffective.

All of this spells no thanks to 8M a year for five years. Has some serious flash, but NOWHERE near the consistency needed to give a 2nd contract too. Especially for a team desperate to shed cap.

I agree on all but he part where he was “dinged up” which caused him to disappear

He was a casualty of Bevell’s incompetence and got very little playing time 2 seasons ago until he came in late in the season. Two games left they suddenly had to play him and he caught four passes back to back and had 40 yards in each game and a TD. His lack of production prior was due to coaching and scheming. In the Arizona game he had his first catch in the second half after Tyler L. Was injured at the end of the half

Then in 2017 he was a starter and featured more in the running game

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":1wc2s5r2 said:
chris98251":1wc2s5r2 said:
rcaido":1wc2s5r2 said:

But they do with Lockett? Do you mean if Penny becomes a flat out stud RB? It'd be difficult to ascertain that after one game.

Your 1st round pick and assumed bell cow back is not going to be doing a lot that, I will add however, I liked what I saw of him returning kicks, and the new Rules may make the risk less.

Traditionally though your not going to put that much on him trying to learn the offense, blocking assignments as well as route trees of a new offense.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Ah I figured Carson would start or split carries pretty evenly so Penny would be fresh to return kicks

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":o5yy08yf said:
Richardson is just a guy.

You trolling? He is more than just a guy, but he has been hurt 4 of the last 6 yrs of his College & Pro career. You can't pay a guy 8-9M APY when he is that consistently injured, while also being that damn slender.

I forecasted exactly what he ended up getting even before the '17 season started (8-9M APY), and I didn't want the Seahawks to re-sign him either if he found a way to stay healthy. Let another team take that risk.

In a proper non Bevell/Cable ran offense he is a 50-60 catch, 800-1000 yd, 8 TD, take the top off the defense X. That isn't a JAG. The catch is he is brittle.

Alex Smith is his QB though so he is probably screwed if he stays healthy. Alex Smith is a check down artist who occasionally throws to the TE. PRich's chances of being successful are very low being paired with Alex Smith. That would be like trading for Jimmy Graham and asking him to block. Dumb.

So you may end up looking right on the surface level of things when it is all said & done. Fun fact: Alex Smith went a whole 594 days in a row (Damn near 2 seasons.) without throwing a TD to a WR during a stretch of his career with the KC Chiefs.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Fade":24fv9ile said:
Tical21":24fv9ile said:
Richardson is just a guy.

You trolling? He is more than just a guy, but he has been hurt 4 of the last 6 yrs of his College & Pro career. You can't pay a guy 8-9M APY when he is that consistently injured, while also being that damn slender.

I forecasted exactly what he ended up getting even before the '17 season started (8-9M APY), and I didn't want the Seahawks to re-sign him either if he found a way to stay healthy. Let another team take that risk.

In a proper non Bevell/Cable ran offense he is a 50-60 catch, 800-1000 yd, 8 TD, take the top off the defense X. That isn't a JAG. The catch is he is brittle.

Alex Smith is his QB though so he is probably screwed if he stays healthy. Alex Smith is a check down artist who occasionally throws to the TE. PRich's chances of being successful are very low being paired with Alex Smith. That would be like trading for Jimmy Graham and asking him to block. Dumb.

So you may end up looking right on the surface level of things when it is all said & done. Fun fact: Alex Smith went a whole 594 days in a row (Damn near 2 seasons.) without throwing a TD to a WR during a stretch of his career with the KC Chiefs.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/966761269201162241[/tweet]

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... mpaign=nfl

It wasn't just a high efficiency thing either, he finished with the most deep passing yards and tied for most deep passing TDs with 12.

Now, I still think he needs to be in a great offensive scheme, but that's exactly what Jay Gruden will offer him. Richardson, Crowder, Doctson, Reed, and Chris Thompson is a hell of a pass-catching crew. Not to mention the fountain of youth that is Vernon Davis.

And you're absolutely right. Maybe Tical has a different definition of JAG than we do, but there's no way Richardson qualifies as that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":jd98ig4b said:
Sgt. Largent":jd98ig4b said:
Jville":jd98ig4b said:

I agree on all but he part where he was “dinged up” which caused him to disappear

He was a casualty of Bevell’s incompetence and got very little playing time 2 seasons ago until he came in late in the season. Two games left they suddenly had to play him and he caught four passes back to back and had 40 yards in each game and a TD. His lack of production prior was due to coaching and scheming. In the Arizona game he had his first catch in the second half after Tyler L. Was injured at the end of the half

I love that we're still blaming Bevell. Awesome.

Richardson was in the same offense as Jimmy, Doug and Tyler...........those players didn't seem to have a hard time catching balls and getting on the field. Why just Paul?

He wasn't on the field because he didn't earn it. He was SUPPOSE to be what Locket turned into, a dependable deep threat that could stretch the defense.

It was his wild inconsistency and injuries that kept him off the field his first two years, not Bevell.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Richardson was a lot better than a few people around here realize. His efficiency stats last year were comparable to stars like Antonio Brown and that's why he got paid despite his injury history. If he stays healthy he could absolutely light it up next year.

That being said, he was a luxury that we couldn't afford due to the way other things shook out the last two years. We have quite a lot of dead money hitting the cap this year, particularly when you include Kam's contract. We restructured Baldwin and Wilson last year to try to stay competitive. Unfortunately, the only way to sustain success in the NFL is to let some of your good players walk and replace them with high value rookie contracts.

We replaced Richardson with a much cheaper version in Jaron Brown. Our receiver corps is worse for it right now but it gives us our best chance to succeed next year by introducing the chance that we could get great value out of one of Moore, Grayson, Stringfellow, Johnson, Brown, Reynolds, etc.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12bxp0io said:
mikeak":12bxp0io said:
Sgt. Largent":12bxp0io said:
Jville":12bxp0io said:

I love that we're still blaming Bevell. Awesome.

Richardson was in the same offense as Jimmy, Doug and Tyler...........those players didn't seem to have a hard time catching balls and getting on the field. Why just Paul?

He wasn't on the field because he didn't earn it. He was SUPPOSE to be what Locket turned into, a dependable deep threat that could stretch the defense.

It was his wild inconsistency and injuries that kept him off the field his first two years, not Bevell.

Look at last two years and show me wild inconsistency

He wasn’t featured at all. Hen suddenly he was given playing time and was very consistent