Concerning our desire for more "Traditional Play" @ QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
adeltaY":2mc05w98 said:
It's weird because as unavoidable as the pressure seems the way I described it, after watching the play more closely he could've stepped up because there was a lot of space in front of him in the pocket. Baldwin beat his guy with a slick, subtle double move in just under 3 seconds after the snap too so one more second and that could've been a big play. Aboushi held regardless so it wouldn't have mattered, even if Ifedi blocked cleanly. .

Wait I thought it was Pete's fault.

Whether through playing behind a bad line for most of his career, or whether it's because that's just Russell's default reflex to extend the play with his feet and bail (or IMO somewhere inbetween), it IS a valid criticism of Russell.............and thus why he may never be a traditional drop back style of QB.

Nor should we want him to be, because that's what makes him great, the ability to escape and extend plays downfield.

If you have no run game? Then yes, it's an issue because then defenses can just put 8-9 in the box and blitz the hell out of Russell. But that's not unique to us. Any one dimensional offense is going to get pounded.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2oza1zqi said:
Fade":2oza1zqi said:
Russ probably won't be a 600-800 yd rusher in his 30's, he will still be mobile, and slippery as hell in the pocket though. I watched an old ass Doug Flutie play amazing for the Bills and lead them to the playoffs. Flutie rushed for 476 yds at age 37 in 1999.

Russ is a bigger, faster, better version of Flutie. Russell Wilson is actually more like Steve Young, with wicked Fran Tarkenton elusiveness.

Concern trolls, or casuals who haven't been watching football very long think mobile QBs begin to suck, or slow down when they hit 30. That is simply not the case. Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton, Mike Vick, etc.

Most of these QBs, if not all of them got better after they turned 30. The best years of RW still lay ahead of him, he is entering his prime. Now get him a running game, and rebuild the defense, so the Hawks can start winning some Super Bowls.

Concern Trolling should actually be the title of the thread.

2Fmediagiphycom2Fmedia2F11FAgyUZdrLM9W2Fgiphy
Russ plays nothing like Steve Young did, he is more Tarkenton. One thing to keep in mind about Tarkenton is that he played in a completely different era. The athletes were also much different. Today they're bigger, faster, and stronger than in Tarkenton's time. He also adapted as he got older. Tarkenton was most consistent from a statistic point of view from ages 23-30. In his older years he was injured more, and he had many years where he threw more INTs than TDs, which is something he didn't do once from ages 23-30. He had his best season when he was older, but there was some crap in between that.

Young spend most of his 20s on a bench, or in relief duty. He was considered a bust, and went on to back up Montana. He hadn't started a whole season outside of Tampa until he hit 30. His legs were fresh -- he also learned to play QB from Walsh, and Montana. Young was a traditional QB that happened to be able to run. His athleticism was more of a garnish. Young was more in the Aaron Rodgers mold of QB. A guy that can play the traditional role, but was able to let loose once in awhile.

Cunningham completely changed how he played when he got older. Once again Cunningham had his best stretch of seasons in his younger years. He had his best season when he was older, but he was also playing with Randy Moss. We must also note that his playing style in that season was more in line with the traditional pocket QB. He had lost a lot of his mobility and was forced to change. Just look at his rushing stats compared to his younger years once he got older.

Vick was the only one I can really think of from this list that kept his same style when he got older, and was still effective. He also spent a few years in prison, and was away from the game -- plus he spent one year on Philly's bench.

Flutie only had two good seasons, and spent a good portion of his 20s being out of the NFL or on benches. Wear and tear matters.

Each of these players had to adapt, and evolve. Most of them had a few years of struggling before they were successful again as Quarterbacks. Each of these guys went through an evolution of sorts. Wilson is approaching the time where he will need to undergo that evolution. Wilson succeeds because of a mix of savvy and elite athleticism. He is a smart QB, and he knows what his job is, he just goes about it in an extremely unorthodox manner. He knows how to go through his progressions, and he has demonstrated he can work the LOS like any other QB.

The thing that should be worrying you as he ages is his lack of development as a pocket passer. He can pocket pass, he just does it in the weirdest way I've ever seen. He breaks all rules here, again he can get away with it due to his elite athleticism. He has happy feet, he doesn't step up into the pocket, he doesn't really have an internal clock that tells him he needs to throw the ball, he doesn't know how to manipulate the pocket, and his footwork is horrid when he actually climbs the pocket. He retreats back instead of going forward making his offensive linemans job very hard.

He is the most flawed elite QB as far as passing fundamentals that I have ever seen. The angles he can pass from, the jumbled up footwork, and the baseball release. Despite all of this he is a top 2-3 QB. The problem with all of this is I don't think he can make this style work without elite athleticism and agility. This will become a problem as he ages. Even the greatest of athletic QB's have had to rework their style. The problem is I see little interest from Pete in developing his line, or nurturing Russell Wilson's growth as a passer. Here we are in year 6 of Wilson's career, and Pete is still using the training wheels, and sticking to ridiculous dogmas on the offense that died in Tarkenon's era.

(just an FYI personal attacks, and calling people a trolls because they don't adhere to you view on things is no way to get your argument across)

"He is the most flawed elite QB as far as passing fundamentals that I have ever seen. " lol Almost everything you say is way off in my opinion and with no facts to suppport it. Lot sof presumtions and obvious negative spin. Neither you nor me have any clue what Wilson wiull be like in his mid thirties. The fact that when asked to operate mostly form the pocket he has performed very well gives un the only factualy insite and he shows he will be fine.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":iu4l7f7w said:
Hawk1217":iu4l7f7w said:
So for all these concerns about what he "can't" do I still see no concrete evidence he can't or has not.

Then you aren't paying attention. Every time he bails from a decent pocket, and it happens a handful of times every game, belongs in the category being describing. He CAN operate from the pocket. He just doesn't like to, and it shows.

This hasn't been fatal to his game yet, because for every time he runs out of the pocket and beyond the protection of his offensive tackles, he makes up for it on the next play with some 40-yard long bomb to Doug Baldwin.

The question is what will happen once those unnecessary bailouts start getting caught from behind more often.

No I watch all the time, I also watch other Qbs and in games, they all make a few mistakes. Some of what some of you call bailing from a good pocket, I don't, I see pressure coming, or no throwing lane or no one open. Now I said some, sometimes he does bail from a pocket, but usually, that is after being hit a few times. The question is if the oline was even average would he still do it? You see I said he Cant you admitted he can, and until he gets even an avg oline neither you nor I can say otherwise. As I said in 2016 when he could not run for most of the season he operated from the pocket and did great, same in the latter half of 2015. So again my point is for those saying he can't, that is not true, he can and has. The question is not what happens when is unneeded bails out get caught, but what happens when he has a decent oline and o longer needs to as much and as I said we already know as we have seen it. SO we have a what if, against what we already have seen. For most sensible people what we have seen overrules what if.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawk1217":1lgh9f9w said:
MontanaHawk05":1lgh9f9w said:
Hawk1217":1lgh9f9w said:
So for all these concerns about what he "can't" do I still see no concrete evidence he can't or has not.

Then you aren't paying attention. Every time he bails from a decent pocket, and it happens a handful of times every game, belongs in the category being describing. He CAN operate from the pocket. He just doesn't like to, and it shows.

This hasn't been fatal to his game yet, because for every time he runs out of the pocket and beyond the protection of his offensive tackles, he makes up for it on the next play with some 40-yard long bomb to Doug Baldwin.

The question is what will happen once those unnecessary bailouts start getting caught from behind more often.

No I watch all the time, I also watch other Qbs and in games, they all make a few mistakes. Some of what some of you call bailing from a good pocket, I don't, I see pressure coming, or no throwing lane or no one open. Now I said some, sometimes he does bail from a pocket, but usually, that is after being hit a few times. The question is if the oline was even average would he still do it? You see I said he Cant you admitted he can, and until he gets even an avg oline neither you nor I can say otherwise. As I said in 2016 when he could not run for most of the season he operated from the pocket and did great, same in the latter half of 2015. So again my point is for those saying he can't, that is not true, he can and has. The question is not what happens when is unneeded bails out get caught, but what happens when he has a decent oline and o longer needs to as much and as I said we already know as we have seen it. SO we have a what if, against what we already have seen. For most sensible people what we have seen overrules what if.

Every QB makes mistakes, but do you know what else every QB does? Get hit. It is a myth that the best QBs are best because they stand behind pristine OL's all day and never get hit. They're best for a lot of other reasons, too, including things driven by them alone (decision-making, getting rid of the ball, and, yes, pocket movement).

Every QB gets hit. Good QB's need to be able to shake it off and consistently work from the pocket despite getting hit. If Wilson can't do it, we're going to see a decline in his play once his age starts taking away his escape.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2152nprg said:
Don't waste your energy. Many have flat out decided that Russ will never be good enough, ever. Meh

Agreed LOL

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's entertaining, just enjoy the back and forth and accept the crazy negative stuff and you'll enjoy. Plenty of great topics and discussions on here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1hovs5gq said:
It's entertaining, just enjoy the back and forth and accept the crazy negative stuff and you'll enjoy.

This is exactly what I tell Mrs. Sarge before disappointing her in the sack.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawk1217":121swjd9 said:
Spin Doctor":121swjd9 said:
Fade":121swjd9 said:
Russ probably won't be a 600-800 yd rusher in his 30's, he will still be mobile, and slippery as hell in the pocket though. I watched an old ass Doug Flutie play amazing for the Bills and lead them to the playoffs. Flutie rushed for 476 yds at age 37 in 1999.

Russ is a bigger, faster, better version of Flutie. Russell Wilson is actually more like Steve Young, with wicked Fran Tarkenton elusiveness.

Concern trolls, or casuals who haven't been watching football very long think mobile QBs begin to suck, or slow down when they hit 30. That is simply not the case. Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton, Mike Vick, etc.

Most of these QBs, if not all of them got better after they turned 30. The best years of RW still lay ahead of him, he is entering his prime. Now get him a running game, and rebuild the defense, so the Hawks can start winning some Super Bowls.

Russ plays nothing like Steve Young did, he is more Tarkenton. One thing to keep in mind about Tarkenton is that he played in a completely different era. The athletes were also much different. Today they're bigger, faster, and stronger than in Tarkenton's time. He also adapted as he got older. Tarkenton was most consistent from a statistic point of view from ages 23-30. In his older years he was injured more, and he had many years where he threw more INTs than TDs, which is something he didn't do once from ages 23-30. He had his best season when he was older, but there was some crap in between that.

Young spend most of his 20s on a bench, or in relief duty. He was considered a bust, and went on to back up Montana. He hadn't started a whole season outside of Tampa until he hit 30. His legs were fresh -- he also learned to play QB from Walsh, and Montana. Young was a traditional QB that happened to be able to run. His athleticism was more of a garnish. Young was more in the Aaron Rodgers mold of QB. A guy that can play the traditional role, but was able to let loose once in awhile.

Cunningham completely changed how he played when he got older. Once again Cunningham had his best stretch of seasons in his younger years. He had his best season when he was older, but he was also playing with Randy Moss. We must also note that his playing style in that season was more in line with the traditional pocket QB. He had lost a lot of his mobility and was forced to change. Just look at his rushing stats compared to his younger years once he got older.

Vick was the only one I can really think of from this list that kept his same style when he got older, and was still effective. He also spent a few years in prison, and was away from the game -- plus he spent one year on Philly's bench.

Flutie only had two good seasons, and spent a good portion of his 20s being out of the NFL or on benches. Wear and tear matters.

Each of these players had to adapt, and evolve. Most of them had a few years of struggling before they were successful again as Quarterbacks. Each of these guys went through an evolution of sorts. Wilson is approaching the time where he will need to undergo that evolution. Wilson succeeds because of a mix of savvy and elite athleticism. He is a smart QB, and he knows what his job is, he just goes about it in an extremely unorthodox manner. He knows how to go through his progressions, and he has demonstrated he can work the LOS like any other QB.

The thing that should be worrying you as he ages is his lack of development as a pocket passer. He can pocket pass, he just does it in the weirdest way I've ever seen. He breaks all rules here, again he can get away with it due to his elite athleticism. He has happy feet, he doesn't step up into the pocket, he doesn't really have an internal clock that tells him he needs to throw the ball, he doesn't know how to manipulate the pocket, and his footwork is horrid when he actually climbs the pocket. He retreats back instead of going forward making his offensive linemans job very hard.

He is the most flawed elite QB as far as passing fundamentals that I have ever seen. The angles he can pass from, the jumbled up footwork, and the baseball release. Despite all of this he is a top 2-3 QB. The problem with all of this is I don't think he can make this style work without elite athleticism and agility. This will become a problem as he ages. Even the greatest of athletic QB's have had to rework their style. The problem is I see little interest from Pete in developing his line, or nurturing Russell Wilson's growth as a passer. Here we are in year 6 of Wilson's career, and Pete is still using the training wheels, and sticking to ridiculous dogmas on the offense that died in Tarkenon's era.

(just an FYI personal attacks, and calling people a trolls because they don't adhere to you view on things is no way to get your argument across)

"He is the most flawed elite QB as far as passing fundamentals that I have ever seen. " lol Almost everything you say is way off in my opinion and with no facts to suppport it. Lot sof presumtions and obvious negative spin. Neither you nor me have any clue what Wilson wiull be like in his mid thirties. The fact that when asked to operate mostly form the pocket he has performed very well gives un the only factualy insite and he shows he will be fine.
He is one of the most flawed elite QB's. His style is unique and he breaks all established conventions of Quarterback play. What QB could get away with the way Russ plays? Nobody. He back peddles instead of steps up in the pocket, this alone manufactures pressure. Offensive lineman use angles to redirect defenders past the QB. There is no way to do this when you're 15 yards deep. If he slows down there is no way he can pull this method off. People used to say the same thing about Shaun Alexander. "He can play into his late 30s, he never gets hit" all of the sudden he gets several ankle injuries that completely destroy his speed. Russ is not immune to this.

Russell Wilson has poor footwork, this has been more apparent lately, and is actually a regression on his side. This is why we saw a bunch of wide open deep balls sail over their intended targets on a regular basis. He isn't setting properly, if at all in some cases. Russ's game is entirely structured around his ad lib style of play. Again, this will not work if he loses a step.

Russ is at the point in his career where he needs to start refining his fundamentals. He is 29, he is at the age where things start slowing down. As I said before, most mobile QB's had to rework their style in order to find success in later in their careers. Randle Cunningham become a pocket passer as did Donvan McNabb, and even the great Fran Tarkenton had to change things around as he got older. What is keeping Russell Wilson from aging like the rest of us? Nothing.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2d3r3hbs said:
chris98251":2d3r3hbs said:
Pete is a enigma, he Coached in Minny for Bud Grant, they had a powerful defense but a pretty wide open offense as well with a guy that was considered a somewhat mobile QB at the time, why Pete doesn't take the lid off Wilson is perplexing.

Not sure why people think it's Pete and not Russell.

Pete's had numerous drop back pocket QB's, both in the pros and at USC.........and all VERY successful, to tune of multiple Heisman's.

IMO this is a Russell issue, not a Pete issue. I'm sure Pete would love for Russell to take his 3-5 step drops, go through his progressions and get the ball out on time.

But that's not who Russell is, nor who he's ever been. He's a tempo/rhythm QB that relies on his feet to buy time and find open receivers. It's a messier style of offense that sometimes is a detriment to his line and receivers not knowing what's going on.

So that's what you're seeing, and again IMO it's not Pete or a coordinator thing, it's a Russell thing.

If Pete would love for Russell to take his 3-5 step drops and go through his progressions he would direct his OC to call that type of offense and provide a line capable of protecting a 5 step progression read offense and he never did. Strangely Wilsons stats when given time in the pocket are near league best so it still baffles me people don't think he's capable of it. There isn't a QB in the league, Rogers included who would be able to do what people are criticizing Wilson for here. Wilson is more than capable of producing in a conventional offense in my opinion but Pete is holding the offense back and I don't think Schott will do much to move that needle. They offense will be better but I expect Schott to do what Pete wants him to do which is an outdate approach. Running against any formation, 8 men in the box etc is archaic and will hold them back unfortunately. I'm about as optimistic as any Seahawks fan and I still am but Wilson will have to continue to shine in spite of, not because of, the system in place.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's that fascination that winning has to LOOK a certain way. Or a QB has to look and/or play a certain way. Why? His results since being in the league are right up there with the top QB's in the league. Especially Wins, his 4th quarter ratings, comeback wins etc. He is EVER going to be the QB that so many want him to be. It makes zero sense that some people flat out will not allow themselves to step back and look at what he does with what he has to work with. Can he get better? Absolutely he can. But would it matter to those that just want to bag on the guy 24/7? He could throw for 300+, 5 TD's and 1 pick. And people would just whine about the Pick. He could win by 3 touchdowns, but it wasn't 4, so not good enough :irishdrinkers:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":r51l23r6 said:
Russell Wilson has poor footwork

I think "poor" is overstating the case. "Poor" footwork doesn't let you complete a single NFL pass. Flawed at a particular style of throw, maybe, but keep in mind that Wilson's deep ball is still one of the best in the league and one of his most-cited strengths.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":szef669l said:
Hawk1217":szef669l said:
Spin Doctor":szef669l said:
Fade":szef669l said:

He is one of the most flawed elite QB's. His style is unique and he breaks all established conventions of Quarterback play. What QB could get away with the way Russ plays? Nobody. He back peddles instead of steps up in the pocket, this alone manufactures pressure. Offensive lineman use angles to redirect defenders past the QB. There is no way to do this when you're 15 yards deep. If he slows down there is no way he can pull this method off. People used to say the same thing about Shaun Alexander. "He can play into his late 30s, he never gets hit" all of the sudden he gets several ankle injuries that completely destroy his speed. Russ is not immune to this.

Russell Wilson has poor footwork, this has been more apparent lately, and is actually a regression on his side. This is why we saw a bunch of wide open deep balls sail over their intended targets on a regular basis. He isn't setting properly, if at all in some cases. Russ's game is entirely structured around his ad lib style of play. Again, this will not work if he loses a step.

Russ is at the point in his career where he needs to start refining his fundamentals. He is 29, he is at the age where things start slowing down. As I said before, most mobile QB's had to rework their style in order to find success in later in their careers. Randle Cunningham become a pocket passer as did Donvan McNabb, and even the great Fran Tarkenton had to change things around as he got older. What is keeping Russell Wilson from aging like the rest of us? Nothing.

Your OPINION is noted, just not agreed with by most reasonable fans and experts.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Hawk1217":30furjtn said:
SoulfishHawk":30furjtn said:
Don't waste your energy. Many have flat out decided that Russ will never be good enough, ever. Meh

Agreed LOL

Except that NO ONE in this thread is saying he isn't or won't be good enough. There are definitely guys on the board who don't think Wilson is that good, but they aren't posting in thread.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":245bfuhc said:
Spin Doctor":245bfuhc said:
Russell Wilson has poor footwork

I think "poor" is overstating the case. "Poor" footwork doesn't let you complete a single NFL pass. Flawed at a particular style of throw, maybe, but keep in mind that Wilson's deep ball is still one of the best in the league and one of his most-cited strengths.
A lot of times he completes passes in spite of his footwork. His issue is, his feet are always moving. He hardly ever plants even if he has time. I think it is a shell shock issue. He missed a lot of freebe long balls this season.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
adeltaY":12btnlej said:
Hawk1217":12btnlej said:
SoulfishHawk":12btnlej said:

Agreed LOL

Except that NO ONE in this thread is saying he isn't or won't be good enough. There are definitely guys on the board who don't think Wilson is that good, but they aren't posting in thread.

That is open for debate LOL

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawk1217":1m5scp1t said:
adeltaY":1m5scp1t said:
Hawk1217":1m5scp1t said:
SoulfishHawk":1m5scp1t said:

Agreed LOL

That is open for debate LOL
Anthony, remember why you got banned the first time? You're following the same path. Stop insulting posters for their views. Like seriously. This is getting out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.