Why Shaquem Griffin will Make Roster, Where he Could Play

FinNasty

Reaction score
Seymour":347tkrf1 said:
FinNasty":347tkrf1 said:
Seymour":347tkrf1 said:
FinNasty":347tkrf1 said:
The further away you move him from the ball and LOS... the bigger mistake you’re making. Use his speed to attack, not chase...

You can attack from safety!!!

[youtube]N8HzPWbSimo[/youtube]
Na... he's chasing the guy down right there. That's not attacking and disrupting a play... that's chasing trying to stop one.

Knocking the ball out at the goal line sure hell is disrupting play in this part of the country.
Defenders are always "chasing" since the other team has the ball.
:roll:

Lol you know what I mean man lol. By attacking I mean disrupting the play while it’s developing, not downfield after the play has happened. Being disruptive behind the LOS and using his instincts to read and the as the play is developing is where he’s at his best...

FinNasty

Reaction score
Tical21":2lud073e said:
He seemed to get caught in the wash a bit on inside runs. SS might be a good fit, except we require the SS to often set the edge, which he really struggled woth at the senior bowl. He is probably in the right place. I'd love to see him at DE in passing situations, to see if he can do it. All with time.

You mean like this? ;)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/chasegoodbread/status/956315714515800065[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":17gtu2vt said:
FinNasty":17gtu2vt said:
The further away you move him from the ball and LOS... the bigger mistake you’re making. Use his speed to attack, not chase...
I agree with this sentiment, Griffin also doesn't have any experience as a DB, and he has proven to be a dynamite linebacker. He is the type of guy that can go sideline to sideline, and also be a threat as a pass rusher. If he had an extra hand, I bet you he would have been a top ten pick. In training camp and the preseason game against the Colts he demonstrated that he had another trick up his sleeve, pass coverage.

Wrong Wrong Wrong, he played Safety but was not in games, WHY HE ALMOST WALKED AWAY, the move to LB got him into games, he does have experience and the way we would use him at SS is like a tweener safety Linebacker anyway.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Mad Dog":2yvjlpjc said:
I picture him more as a Deone Buchanon deathbacker clone personally. A bit undersized for LB but a bit oversized for safety. So give him the tweener role. Short zone coverages, sideline to sideline run stopper, occasional blitzer.

He might be oversized at FS but he's definitely not at SS. He has 4.4 speed at this weight AND he's big enough to take on big RB's and TE's.

I'm not suggesting that he SHOULD be switched to strong safety but was merely curious why they hadn't at least tried him out there seeing as how he is a little undersized at LB.

FinNasty

Reaction score
chris98251":ppaiwjiz said:
Spin Doctor":ppaiwjiz said:
FinNasty":ppaiwjiz said:
I agree with this sentiment, Griffin also doesn't have any experience as a DB, and he has proven to be a dynamite linebacker. He is the type of guy that can go sideline to sideline, and also be a threat as a pass rusher. If he had an extra hand, I bet you he would have been a top ten pick. In training camp and the preseason game against the Colts he demonstrated that he had another trick up his sleeve, pass coverage.

Wrong Wrong Wrong, he played Safety but was not in games, WHY HE ALMOST WALKED AWAY, the move to LB got him into games, he does have experience and the way we would use him at SS is like a tweener safety Linebacker anyway.
So just FYI... that’s kinda yes and no.

So, yes he did almost quit. And yes it was because he wasn’t playing....

BUT...

...he wasn’t playing b/c the old coaching staff couldn’t look past his hand. At all. And it was the frustration from that prejudice that almost drove him to quit. It wasn’t that he wasn’t good on the football field, even while still a DB. The old coaching staff just looked at him without a hand and thought “how can he play football”? It became clear to him that the only reason why he was offered a scholarship was to get his brother... that they didn’t actually want him. I mean... to put it in some perspective... he wasn’t even played on Special Teams. And all the while his identical twin with the same speed, same athleticism, and same ability is getting to play with the 1st team as a starter. It was bad and VERY apparent to him and everyone else. And with no shot to ever play in his eyes no matter how hard he worked it became very defeating.

When the new coaching staff came in 2016... they came in with an open mind about him and immediately saw his insane athleticism and drive. They put him in a LB/DB hybrid joker role and he immediately won Defensive Player of the Year for the conference. The following year, with a year to bulk up some more and learn how to pass rush, they moved him to OLB... and he was unstoppable and became a legend at UCF.

So, yes he almost quit and yes it was b/c he wasn’t playing... but it wasn’t for lack of ability. It was b/c the coaching staff couldn’t see past his missing hand...

lukerguy

Reaction score
FinNasty":1hic4rql said:

This guy knows. I tend to agree. I'd like to see him get after the QB a bit more as he did in that bowl game.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":bm6t7cjz said:
Spin Doctor":bm6t7cjz said:
FinNasty":bm6t7cjz said:

Exactly....you get it, outsiders not so much.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Seymour":5rovpoqh said:
chris98251":5rovpoqh said:
Spin Doctor":5rovpoqh said:
FinNasty":5rovpoqh said:

No, I get it. You play a single high C3 coverage scheme that puts your safety in the box more often than not. That said, playing him in that role still reduces some of his value. If you have him at LB, and a team trots out 11 personnel on 1st down... you don’t have to put in a sub-package. With Griffin as your 3rd LB, you can use the same personnel for base and nickel, which makes you less predictable based on personnel that you have on the field when the O is calling in the play.

Plus, in passing situations I would assume (this is an assumption that you’d have to correct me on) that the WLB blitzes more often than your SS. Griffin blitzing is something you want... b/c while he can cover... he’s best at getting after the QB. WLB will put him in rushing situations more often than SS...

chris98251

Reaction score
FinNasty":1dyypghc said:
Seymour":1dyypghc said:
chris98251":1dyypghc said:
Spin Doctor":1dyypghc said:

No, I get it. You play a single high C3 coverage scheme that puts your safety in the box more often than not. That said, playing him in that role still reduces some of his value. If you have him at LB, and a team trots out 11 personnel on 1st down... you don’t have to put in a sub-package. With Griffin as your 3rd LB, you can use the same personnel for base and nickel, which makes you less predictable based on personnel that you have on the field when the O is calling in the play.

Plus, in passing situations I would assume (this is an assumption that you’d have to correct me on) that the WLB blitzes more often than your SS. Griffin blitzing is something you want... b/c while he can cover... he’s best at getting after the QB. WLB will put him in rushing situations more often than SS...

History has shown that TE coverage has been our achellis heal, Griff has good coverage skills and make up speed if needed. Which is the real asset that he could bring. We have pass rushers, but a SS that can line up as a LB in a 3-4 look and then a SS that can cover in a 4-3 seems to have great value.

Fade

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":36gp8cnw said:
lacking but at times the WLB is asked to play sort of a pseudo MLB which allows Wagner to either free lance or drop back in deep coverage to allow Kam Chancellor/SS to free lance. So that made sense to me as to why at times Wright often filled in for Wagner at MLB when Wags was banged up because at times the WLB to play MLB in certain looks.

It's because when Seattle is in their Base 4-3 Under look, it looks like a 3-4 with the Will & Mike as the inside backers and the Sam & Leo as the outside backers. The difference is they are 1 gapping. They don't have to read & react like in a 2 gap 3-4 defense. Every player is responsible for their gap, it is a simple yet effective scheme that allows the players to play fast.
file.php

FinNasty

Reaction score
Fade":1rnb5jo1 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1rnb5jo1 said:
lacking but at times the WLB is asked to play sort of a pseudo MLB which allows Wagner to either free lance or drop back in deep coverage to allow Kam Chancellor/SS to free lance. So that made sense to me as to why at times Wright often filled in for Wagner at MLB when Wags was banged up because at times the WLB to play MLB in certain looks.

It's because when Seattle is in their Base 4-3 Under look, it looks like a 3-4 with the Will & Mike as the inside backers and the Sam & Leo as the outside backers. The difference is they are 1 gapping. They don't have to read & react like in a 2 gap 3-4 defense. Every player is responsible for their gap, it is a simple yet effective scheme that allows the players to play fast.
file.php

I realize that it looks like Kam is about to come down into the box in this picture, but this snapshot of your base is why I wouldn’t want Griffin playing SS. Pre-snap the SS isn't always down near the LOS. Many times the SS is still lining up 10-15 yards downfield as the ball is snapped. Keep Griffin closer to the LOS and let him get after it...

Don't be scared that he's a little undersized... he's still bulking up from his conversion from DB. Dude is a LB through and through... and

Fade

Reaction score
FinNasty":26cpujmx said:
Fade":26cpujmx said:
Pandion Haliaetus":26cpujmx said:

file.php

I realize that it looks like Kam is about to come down into the box in this picture, but this snapshot of your base is why I wouldn’t want Griffin playing SS. Pre-snap the SS isn't always down near the LOS. Many times the SS is still lining up 10-15 yards downfield as the ball is snapped. Keep Griffin closer to the LOS and let him get after it...

Don't be scared that he's a little undersized... he's still bulking up from his conversion from DB. Dude is a LB through and through
... and

What? You must be confused.

Fade":26cpujmx said:
The Seahawks are doing the smart thing, and putting him 5 yds off the LOS with his smaller size, and placing him at Will.

Placing him at SS is too different at this juncture. Will is the perfect spot for his skillset, he doesn't have to take on as many blocks as the other linebackers, and gets to use his sideline to sideline speed. SS requires more backpedal, and DB techniques, stuff he would need to learn. He can start right now at Will.

Leave him at Will.

I already said he should remain at Will.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Fade":1bp57pm5 said:
FinNasty":1bp57pm5 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1bp57pm5 said:

file.php

Don't be scared that he's a little undersized... he's still bulking up from his conversion from DB. Dude is a LB through and through
... and

What? You must be confused.

The Seahawks are doing the smart thing, and putting him 5 yds off the LOS with his smaller size, and placing him at Will.

Placing him at SS is too different at this juncture. Will is the perfect spot for his skillset, he doesn't have to take on as many blocks as the other linebackers, and gets to use his sideline to sideline speed. SS requires more backpedal, and DB techniques, stuff he would need to learn. He can start right now at Will.

Leave him at Will.

I already said he should remain at Will.

Yep, wasn’t talking about you specifically... more just using your image to help illustrate the point I was trying to make. :irishdrinkers: