Penny Broken Finger

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":170wor38 said:
jammerhawk":170wor38 said:
Lynch retired, the team didn't just let him retire. Just clarifying.

While it is true the team let him keep his SB $ and traded his rights they may have had to litigate to get the $ back and cause ill feelings with the remaining team who felt Lynch had done a lot as a Seahawks player. In the end there have been posts ad nauseum as to why Lynch became dissatisfied in Seattle and at long last the clueless OC and OLine coaches were both finally canned. I can imagine Lynch is hardly overjoyed to see Cable in Oakland.

To me I don't think this retirement was what Earl saw but he did see the team cave into Lynch and redo his deal early and that act has bitten them in the rear, so they need to make it clear now they won't be redoing contracts early. Of course the reason why they did that with Lynch was to fight to keep Lynch here and playing b/c he was a special player in the system we had as he nullified the weak OLine play and lame offensive play calling with his strong running.

Getting back to the topic now, the thread was about Penny's injury; and all we know so far is he has a broken finger, will be having a surgeon look at it, or surgery, and he will be out as presently estimated for 3-4 weeks.

No need to clarify, but..... you cut out the important part of my sentence (gave up the rights to him and let him walk which is the opposite of the post I responded to stated).

We wanted him to walk.

Why continue to pay an aging RB 8M+ a year to do what he's doing in Oakland, nothing.............AND my guess is Pete and John were tired of his nonsense.

I know this because we gave up his rights in order to let him retire so we could get out of the last year of his contract. If we didn't, then we wouldn't have.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
zchurch74":p3t5b5g2 said:
This is going to haunt us all year. He will come back too soon. First game back he will only play partial time. They will pull him due to issues. He will also have fumbling problems and they will blame it on the broken finger. He will never be 100% this entire year. Just how the cookie crumbles in our backfield.

So where did you get your crystal ball? Did you get the less expensive negative view only version?

Did you ever think it just could be the case that he will make a total recovery and your quite negative predictions will never come to be reality?

Before we acknowledge the sky is actually falling let's wait and see what the news of the next week brings about this injury, Penny's predicted recovery time and we get further information as to the true nature of this injury. Penny had no significant injury history in college, seems to stay healthy, and recovers quickly from bumps and bruises. I think it's way too soon to be so negative about an unfortunate injury that may only be a brief delay in his playing and may not cost his any actual lost playing time or playing effectiveness.

Of course the sky could be falling, but I'd want more evidence.

Seymour

Reaction score
Pete just said on 950 he thinks it will be closer to 2 weeks and all went very well!

:irishdrinkers:

Still.....this haunts me to no end.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1029793022223904768[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1029822620928077824[/tweet]

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Jville":14ub67o5 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1029793022223904768[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1029822620928077824[/tweet]

Aw, but I'm not done freaking out and thinking the season is lost yet.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The people freaking out are severely underestimating how good Carson is looking so far this preseason. Long term we need Penny to share the workload and I like his upside, but our RB group looks very good for week 1 right now provided there are no other injuries. We have the luxury to let Penny get this taken care of correctly and there's no reason to think we would rush him back too early.

TreeRon

Reaction score
The only concern I have is that if they put a screw to accelerate healing, the bone surrounding the screw will be subject to breaking if struck. You have flexible bone adjacent to inflexible steel and if pressured, the bone may break. Much like putting a pencil on the edge of your desk and hitting the part of the pencil off the desk. Once healed, he may want to have the screw removed. If the broken bone is in the area we call the hand, he may wear a padded glove in order to absorb impact if his hand were to be struck by a helmet for example.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Excellent news about the positive response from surgery by Penny

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Broke a pinky finger left hand playing back lot football in 82 at my first duty station in Nevada. I could put the pinky out from the ring finger at a 90 degree angle easily. We set it back, gave me a bottle of motrin and said go have fun. Of course put a little splint on it, and in 2 weeks start with a ball flexing the muscle to gain back the mobility. Still not perfect, but livable. Pain was not really an issue as I had a lot of liquid refreshment available. So I do understand what he is going thru to a certain extent. Index fingers are a lot different tho.

As to taking off to Philadelphia, That is his choice. I had two fingertips snipped off in Packwood in 2002 I think it was..The doc in Monroe said he could handle it, but I was told fantastic things about Madigan so said I want to go there. They did FANTASTIC work there. I watched him do the surgery. I got some meds that I shall NEVER EVER take again tho. He put a nerve inhibitor so there was no pain...that was cool....the Perkocet....naw man, I think I will take the pain..or give me some Ty3. Ty3 has codiene in it. It was legal too as I was on prescription. I have had it a few times and split the pills sometimes just because it was too much for me. I know my limitations. Anyway...go hawks.

edited for fingertips snipped. not the whole finger.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Do we know how he broke it? He wasn't riding g an ATV, was he?

Too soon?

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
HawkGA":2edsw1dw said:
Do we know how he broke it? He wasn't riding g an ATV, was he?

Too soon?

Ironically enough he broke it on his helmet as he was getting ready to ride an ATV.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Mike Davis sat out with a toe injury, so another extremity issue for people to freak out about.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
rjdriver":1xhpllir said:
I heard he hurt it while riding an ATV.

Dammit! Why didn't he have hand guards on the handlebars?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, unless he misses a bunch of regular season games, no need to assume he's the next Glass Procise :lol: