Top 5 Concerns going into the Season

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I know we have 3 more preseason games, but what are your Top 5 concerns for the upcoming year?

Here's mine:
1. OLine.
Only one new starter from the awful 2017 season. I know everyone's happy with the coaching change, but is it enough?
2. Pass rush.
Avril and MB gone. Clark, Jordan and White are MIA. Green, Mingo and Martin looked good against the Colts. Is this enough? I don't think so.
3. Secondary.
T2 looks good, but untested. Who will replace him if he struggles? Maxwell and Thorpe are limited in practices so are we comfortable with Flowers as the starting RCB?
4. RB
I know, I know, Penny should be ready when the season starts, but Mike Davis has a big toe problem, Prosise is glass, and Carson hasn't played a full season at RB in college or with the Hawks. Some bad juju since Beastmode left.
5. WR
Doug Baldwin hasn't been seen in weeks. Marshall looks good, but will age and health limit him? The young guys show flashes at TC, but can we really trust them on a game to game basis? Are we ok with Lockett, Marshall and Brown as our starting three if Baldwins not ready for the start of the season?

toffee

Reaction score
Hoping the Penny's surgery serves as wake up call, life in NFL could be rough and short, one must capitalize on opportunities. A focused Penny, an improved OL, functioning TEs. our running game and offense would be GREAT.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I have faith that the offense as a whole will look much improved over last season. My concerns are on the Defense. Our secondary is down three HOF level players. That said, Pete may be the best in the NFL at identifying DB's that can fit and excel in his scheme and the reports coming out of training camp are promising.

Our pass rush, however, terrifies me. We have Clark and that's it. I'm hoping somebody steps up but just looking at paper we're in trouble.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm actually for the first time in a long time not putting the O-line as #1. I think with Brown in for an entire off season and camp, decent depth, Solari and a stronger RB group think we'll be OK.

So I'd say;

1. D-line, and specifically pass rush. Right now it's Clark and a rookie. We desperately need Jordan to come back and stay healthy or else Clark's just going to get double and triple teamed and wear down and get frustrated and ineffective playing 80% of the snaps.

2. Defensive backfield. I'm not comfortable at all with Maxwell starting. I think he's going to be a liability not only injury wise due to his age, but scheme wise getting picked on over and over by quicker WR's. Plus our depth at BOTH DB and safety is thin at best.

3. WR. Another depth issue. Doug hasn't played at all this camp, and Lockett's yet to prove he's all the way back from his injury. So we're relying on guys like Marshall, Brown and who knows to round out the WR corp. If Doug or Tyler miss time, we're in deep doo doo.

4. O-line. Can Brown anchor a shaky line. Can someone, ANYONE be a dependable RT. Can FLuker and Pocic be dependable guards. Can Britt rebound and have a better year than last year. With Solari and a more straight forward blocking scheme, we SHOULD be OK, but it's not certain by any stretch.

5. Special Teams. Dickson's a stud, so I'm not worried about him, he's a once in a generation punter. But we've got a rookie and a 41 year old battling for PK. That doesn't exactly help me sleep at night on getting our kicking game back where it needs to be.

mrt144

Reaction score
Mine:

1. Offensive Personnel
2. Defensive Personnel
3. Offensive Scheme
4. Defensive Scheme
5. Coaching

Crap, I just did a Madden.

The Breh

Reaction score
truehawksfan":3o53mj0t said:
2. Pass rush.
Avril and MB gone. Clark, Jordan and White are MIA. Green, Mingo and Martin looked good against the Colts. Is this enough? I don't think so.
Who's White ?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ez6a37q said:
I'm actually for the first time in a long time not putting the O-line as #1. I think with Brown in for an entire off season and camp, decent depth, Solari and a stronger RB group think we'll be OK.

So I'd say;

1. D-line, and specifically pass rush. Right now it's Clark and a rookie. We desperately need Jordan to come back and stay healthy or else Clark's just going to get double and triple teamed and wear down and get frustrated and ineffective playing 80% of the snaps.

2. Defensive backfield. I'm not comfortable at all with Maxwell starting. I think he's going to be a liability not only injury wise due to his age, but scheme wise getting picked on over and over by quicker WR's. Plus our depth at BOTH DB and safety is thin at best.

3. WR. Another depth issue. Doug hasn't played at all this camp, and Lockett's yet to prove he's all the way back from his injury. So we're relying on guys like Marshall, Brown and who knows to round out the WR corp. If Doug or Tyler miss time, we're in deep doo doo.

4. O-line. Can Brown anchor a shaky line. Can someone, ANYONE be a dependable RT. Can FLuker and Pocic be dependable guards. Can Britt rebound and have a better year than last year. With Solari and a more straight forward blocking scheme, we SHOULD be OK, but it's not certain by any stretch.

5. Special Teams. Dickson's a stud, so I'm not worried about him, he's a once in a generation punter. But we've got a rookie and a 41 year old battling for PK. That doesn't exactly help me sleep at night on getting our kicking game back where it needs to be.

I totally agree and won't repeat your points, which prioritize my areas of concern, though I think we could be very surprised with the improvement of our ST if Janikowski is healthy again, for one I suspect a return to health and some new talent added for ST coverage units could cause them to be in fact quite special.

Fade

Reaction score
-1- Pete Carroll Being too Conservative on Offense at the Start of Games

Pete has the better QB pretty much going into any game. Then proceeds to null this advantage by being way too conservate, sometimes for the entire 1st half until they let Wilson off the leash. This should change with Schotty on board, but I'm still nervous about it.

-2- Pass Rush

A lot of good D-Lineman on the team, but not a lot of great pass rushers. Frank Clark is going to have to put up monster numbers to keep the pass rush respectable.

-3- Offensive Line Depth / Ifedi

The Offensive Line is looking light years ahead of where it has been in the recent past. Now though with Jamarco Jones being injured they need Ifedi to play better, and cannot afford any injuries because all they have coming off the bench is Sweezy. Jones probably won't be back from injury until late Sep, early Oct.

-4- Runningback Health

It has been a problem for years, and guys keep getting hurt. Right now it's no big deal as the injuries are only minor. One major injury though and things could go south real quick.

-5- Young Defenders Must Contribute

The Defense shed a lot of veterans this off-season and need the youngsters to contribute right now.
TT
Griffin Twins
Naz Jones
Rasheem Green
Jacob Martin

Jville

Reaction score
No worries here ...... as we look forward to pre-season game 2.

I'M all IN with Carroll's proven process. Tomorrows second preseason game is special. It's like the beginning of finals week for all the new kids in town. Very exciting all across the league. Scouts will be all over it this weekend.

WEEK 2 · Sat 08/18 · 7:00 PM PDT

Don't miss it!

chris98251

Reaction score
All I want to see each week right now as the guys playing faster and getting more bad Helmet to Helmet calls because we hit someone. Paul needs to set up a fund for the 26,000 dollar fines being issued. The Officials are going overboard now and calling hits away from the ball blocking on special teams also.

Should have known the mystery foul was going to arise and will dictate a lot of game outcomes now. Touchdown called back because of Helmet to helmet contact by players of the same team celebrating.

getnasty

Reaction score
1. Offensive Coordinator
2. Earl Thomas
3. Offensive Line
4. Pass Rush
5. Aaron Donald

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
chris98251":2ect8ihe said:
All I want to see each week right now as the guys playing faster and getting more bad Helmet to Helmet calls because we hit someone. Paul needs to set up a fund for the 26,000 dollar fines being issued. The Officials are going overboard now and calling hits away from the ball blocking on special teams also.

Should have known the mystery foul was going to arise and will dictate a lot of game outcomes now. Touchdown called back because of Helmet to helmet contact by players of the same team celebrating.
I have seen enough of preseason to know that these calls are going to decide WAY to many games this season. What the HELL are you supposed to do as a defender?

Steve2222

Reaction score
DL for sure.

I think the OL will be vastly improved this year. Probably a below league average OL, which would be leaps and bounds better than the dumpster fire we have had the past 2-3 years. Duane Brown has a whole offseason with Russ, Pocic more experienced and weight put on for the NFL. DJ Fluker is an upgrade to who he’s replacing.

I think the offense will be fine and probably a Top 10 Unit

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My one true concern continues to be RT.

As a pass blocker Ifedi plays too passively. He gives up way too much ground and his ability to re-establish is non-existent.

toffee

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2k1w9war said:
My one true concern continues to be RT.

As a pass blocker Ifedi plays too passively. He gives up way too much ground and his ability to re-establish is non-existent.

I was counting on my boy Jamarco Jones to take over RT at some point this season. His injury was therefore very disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
1. injuries
2. Defense
3. Inexperience DB’s
4. Injuries
5. NFL officiating, it’s consistency, and Interpentation of new rules.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
1. Injuries
2. Pass rush (more specifically, LDE)
3. Run blocking (more specifically, both guard positions)
4. Free safety
5. Pass blocking (from everyone, except Brown and Britt)