Earl Thomas desirability poll

.net pulse regarding #29

• Get Earl in now, he’s badly needed

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • Trade Earl for no less than a 2nd round pick

Votes: 75 32.8%
  • Trade Earl for whatever you can get

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Let him sit out, then let him walk in 2019 (potential comp pick)

Votes: 61 26.6%
  • Earl who?

Votes: 27 11.8%

• Total voters

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My point exactly.

If he isn't here so what incentive has the team to renegotiate with him? Besides he's indicated he'd rather be elsewhere but only on his terms. Some genuine clarification of that situation seems to be a condition precedent to negotiation to begin.

As well Earl's contract position is clear, and as such he has essentially made himself worth considerably less in a trade and sign situation. As said above, he wants to play elsewhere, but won't unless he gets paid what he wants; and the market has changed for his position, making his expectations somewhat unrealistic. Meanwhile he's got a deal that he finds unacceptable @ $8.5 million/yr.

He totally has no leverage as you correctly observe. This will not quickly resolve if even at all without Thomas losing considerable $.

toffee

Reaction score
That heartless Jerroh, our Earl is training so hard for him with low impact workouts.
[instagram]BmheFxJFhGj[/instagram]
[instagram]BmhHiRYFo90[/instagram]
Come make an offer already.

chris98251

Reaction score
With each snap in practice and in a Game by Thompson Earl becomes more expendable, at some point play difference will be negligible but cost will be huge.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Fade":3tdyw72g said:
Let him sit. Then Franchise Tag him at the end of the year. Sometimes players need to be made an example of so the other players don't get any funny ideas about holding out.

Strictly business, I don't hold any ill will towards Earl. I just don't want future players getting the idea it's a good idea to hold out. The Marshawn holdout led to the Kam holdout which is now the Earl holdout. That is 3 holdouts in 5 yrs. No more.
I couldn't agree more.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
I don't like 2nd round pick for a guy an entire offense has to account for all game.

I do like swapping Earl on a new contract for Khalil Mack on a new contract haha.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":2ph7i6pn said:
oldhawkfan":2ph7i6pn said:
I know there is a thread dedicated to Earl Thomas but I thought it would be interesting to see how a poll would sort out the pulse of the board. In 2018 the top brass seemed all in for a run to the Owl considering the trades they made. Had he held out last year, they might have caved by now.
The poll seems flawed since trading Earl for no less than a 2nd is only possible if another team is willing to give up a second. Since that seems unlikely, everyone who voted for trade Earl for no less than a 2nd voted to do nothing and hope. Hope is not a winning strategy.
"Hope Is Not A Winning Strategy"?----Isn't that exactly what Earl is doing?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Danny Darko":2g0ndg6o said:
I don't mind a 2nd round pick for a guy an entire offense used to have to account for all game when he was younger.

FIFY

chrispy

Reaction score
I read recently that ETs fines have now reached a potential $1million. I don't know if that's true, but is there a way to calculate the break even point where fines equal income? It surprised me that fines were that high already. Subtracting lost income for each game, fines, and any signing bonus that could be prorated from this season's income should show which game he'd (theoretically- if fines aren't forgiven) end up playing for free the rest of the season. Anyone know how to do that?

toffee

Reaction score
Danny Darko":3nvt4y4p said:
I don't like 2nd round pick for a guy an entire offense has to account for all game.

I do like swapping Earl on a new contract for Khalil Mack on a new contract haha.

let's make it happen, Earl is also my dawg, but I rather pay Mack then keep Earl.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/1021832585746497536[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
toffee":142ymcpb said:
I am really hating on jerruh, when a hall of fame FS at his prime personally hand picked your team as his only destination, you do whatever to accommodate his wishes.

So insulting to Earl that jerruh made not even a half ass effort.

McCloughan and Dorsey may come with their next year’s 1st for Earl, they need help in their secondary and they knew it,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerruh still thinks he can get ET for a 3rd......
One of their safety’s got hurt last night, Seattle’s price should go up.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't agree with making an example out of any player. It's a error to make things personal when they shouldn't be, and the discussions about who has the moral high ground are misguided here. Earl makes our defense better this year and it's strictly a cost-benefit decision from the team's side whether his performance will justify a large extension. Earl has his own decision to make about what he is willing to work for.

Regarding whether we are in a Super Bowl window or not - does it really matter if Earl increases our SB odds from 3% to 4% or from 8% to 9%? This strikes me as committing the narrative fallacy where we group teams into categories (contenders, pretenders, rebuilders) strictly to simplify our thinking and discussions on these issues, but lose sight of the underlying truth in the process. If our goal is to maximize Super Bowl wins over a long period of time then optimum strategy is to take increases in our odds wherever they are cost effective. A 2% increase in a "rebuilding" year is mathematically equivalent to a 2% increase in a "contending" year.

Ultimately, my main problem with this situation is that Earl sunk his own trade value with his bizarre actions. I believe Pete when he says that Earl told him he was going to report, perhaps as a leverage play on Earl's part. If instead Earl had played along in public but been up front in private then it's possible that he would already have his extension on a new team, and the Hawks would have another highly drafted rookie in camp right now. Now unfortunately it looks like neither side is going to get a good solution from this mess.

Rat

Reaction score
He's no Earl Thomas, but the Bengals just waived an above-average safety in George Iloka. That could give us some more leverage with Thomas.

Fade

Reaction score
AgentDib":1wtvahf9 said:
I don't agree with making an example out of any player. It's a error to make things personal when they shouldn't be, and the discussions about who has the moral high ground are misguided here. Earl makes our defense better this year and it's strictly a cost-benefit decision from the team's side whether his performance will justify a large extension. Earl has his own decision to make about what he is willing to work for.

Regarding whether we are in a Super Bowl window or not - does it really matter if Earl increases our SB odds from 3% to 4% or from 8% to 9%? This strikes me as committing the narrative fallacy where we group teams into categories (contenders, pretenders, rebuilders) strictly to simplify our thinking and discussions on these issues, but lose sight of the underlying truth in the process. If our goal is to maximize Super Bowl wins over a long period of time then optimum strategy is to take increases in our odds wherever they are cost effective. A 2% increase in a "rebuilding" year is mathematically equivalent to a 2% increase in a "contending" year.

Ultimately, my main problem with this situation is that Earl sunk his own trade value with his bizarre actions. I believe Pete when he says that Earl told him he was going to report, perhaps as a leverage play on Earl's part. If instead Earl had played along in public but been up front in private then it's possible that he would already have his extension on a new team, and the Hawks would have another highly drafted rookie in camp right now. Now unfortunately it looks like neither side is going to get a good solution from this mess.

I am glad you don't own the team, or we would be dealing with holdouts every year.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Get Earl’s ass back here... or trade him to the Fins. With Kam’s retirement, the Fins already have the best SS in the league in a Reshad Jones. Pair him with the best FS and let Minkah Fitzpatrick learn from a HoFer...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Just a different perspective, the Seahawks told Earl that they wouldn’t entertain any discussion on an extension with him. I wonder if they wouldn’t have taken such a hard stand from the get go that maybe Earl would have been more amicable to showing up to training camp. Earl may have had every intention to attend and that’s why he told Pete that but when the Seahawks refused to discuss an extension, he changed his mind and decided to hold out.
Hell, for all we know maybe the Seahawks told Earl they weren’t going to discuss any extension with him last year therefore his antics after the Cowboys game. I believe both parties are at fault for the dissolution of this relationship. It’s unfortunate it’s going this way.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
A bad pre season game and its panic time. Earl will not save the season or make anything better. With his shitty attitude he will only make things worse.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If you trade Earl without getting “your price” in return you are encouraging holdouts in the future dictating your future moves.
Not a good precedent to set. Hawks should tell Earl nothing will happen as long as he holds out and they will keep any fines in place until he comes in. ....and if he holds out into the regular season he misses game checks and risks being franchised for 2019 and 2020. I love ET the player on the field, but I also love the Hawks. Earl killed his own market value.

toffee

Reaction score
Trade Earl plus ‘19 third round pick for Mack, all pro for all pro. John and McKenzie should work out this deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk