Earl Thomas desirability poll

.net pulse regarding #29

• Get Earl in now, he’s badly needed

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • Trade Earl for no less than a 2nd round pick

Votes: 75 32.8%
  • Trade Earl for whatever you can get

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Let him sit out, then let him walk in 2019 (potential comp pick)

Votes: 61 26.6%
  • Earl who?

Votes: 27 11.8%

• Total voters

hawknation2018

Reaction score
toffee":1guhtb6h said:
Trade Earl plus ‘19 third round pick for Mack, all pro for all pro. John and McKenzie should work out this deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That deal never made any sense. They would just be trading one problem holdout for another.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
toffee":zkeyspo2 said:
Trade Earl plus ‘19 third round pick for Mack, all pro for all pro. John and McKenzie should work out this deal.

While I love Mack, I’m not sure this would work, not sure Oakland would do it anyhow.

You’d have to get both players long term deals with their new teams before both would be traded..... plus Seattle would be without a 2nd (Brown) and 3rd in 2019. Unless they’d plan on going heavy in FA, thats not good for a rebuilding team to be missing a 2nd and a 3rd in the same draft. Just my .05 worth of course 8)

Schadie001

Reaction score
It has been reported that Earl wants 14mil a year. Players don’t care that a team can’t pay everyone everything they want or said team can not continue to be competitive. The salary cap is real and Seattle has Been been burned recently with Kams contract. The team holds every card at this point and really doesn’t have to budge. Earl is bleeding money right now, has to come back by week 8 or the season doesn’t count and Seattle can still franchise him next year for less money than he wants. I say absolutely no trades right now. We don’t need to give him away, he essentially can be a Seahawks at least this year and next for far less than a new deal and is worth far more than a lousy draft pick. Hawks own him and there isn’t anything other than lose money that he can do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FinNasty":2ts6hi0y said:
Get Earl’s ass back here... or trade him to the Fins. With Kam’s retirement, the Fins already have the best SS in the league in a Reshad Jones. Pair him with the best FS and let Minkah Fitzpatrick learn from a HoFer...

Give us a 1st or 2nd and he's theirs.

Own The West

Reaction score
I don't think this could have worked out any better for the Seahawks:

1. You know he's going to begin to decline in the next 4 years and put you in a John Ryan situation.
2. We have good depth at safety and a coach that's great at coaching up DBs (Pete).
3. You didn't have any serious suitors around the draft, but by week 9 you may have a contender desperate for a FS.
4. You don't have to pay him until week 9.

So that fact that the team doesn't *need* him, doesn't have to pay him, and can hold on to his rights until they get an offer they like is a huge coup for this FO.

I don't even feel bad for Earl. He's made plenty of money, so it's not like he's going to be eating ramen in the foreseeable future; and he's protected from injury. His 50 year old self will thank him for this holdout.

mrt144

Reaction score
Fade":1xsu4rcb said:
AgentDib":1xsu4rcb said:
I don't agree with making an example out of any player. It's a error to make things personal when they shouldn't be, and the discussions about who has the moral high ground are misguided here. Earl makes our defense better this year and it's strictly a cost-benefit decision from the team's side whether his performance will justify a large extension. Earl has his own decision to make about what he is willing to work for.

Regarding whether we are in a Super Bowl window or not - does it really matter if Earl increases our SB odds from 3% to 4% or from 8% to 9%? This strikes me as committing the narrative fallacy where we group teams into categories (contenders, pretenders, rebuilders) strictly to simplify our thinking and discussions on these issues, but lose sight of the underlying truth in the process. If our goal is to maximize Super Bowl wins over a long period of time then optimum strategy is to take increases in our odds wherever they are cost effective. A 2% increase in a "rebuilding" year is mathematically equivalent to a 2% increase in a "contending" year.

Ultimately, my main problem with this situation is that Earl sunk his own trade value with his bizarre actions. I believe Pete when he says that Earl told him he was going to report, perhaps as a leverage play on Earl's part. If instead Earl had played along in public but been up front in private then it's possible that he would already have his extension on a new team, and the Hawks would have another highly drafted rookie in camp right now. Now unfortunately it looks like neither side is going to get a good solution from this mess.

I am glad you don't own the team, or we would be dealing with holdouts every year.

Ummmm...Then I can't really tell a difference between Dib's fantasy ownership and Paul Allen's

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Earl lost even more leverage with the news that Cincinnati cut George Iloka, who is nowhere near the player Earl is but will come cheaper and won't cost any draft picks, making him a better option for teams that need a safety but don't want to invest heavily in the position. In fact, it's sounding like the Raiders will pursue Iloka, which pretty much kills any chance of an Earl-for-Mack trade (though I doubt there was ever much of a chance of that anyway.)

Honestly, Earl's best move would be to report today in exchange for A) having his fines waived, B) a promise from the team that they will trade him if they get a viable offer, and C) a promise from the team that they will not franchise him in 2019. Then come in, treat the last year of his contract like a one-year "prove it" deal, and do his best to show the league that he's worth every penny he's asking for. And, frankly, I think teams might be more likely to pay him the money he wants if he demonstrates that he is worth it and they don't have to trade a high draft pick for him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3k6uwogg said:
Honestly, Earl's best move would be to report today in exchange for A) having his fines waived, B) a promise from the team that they will trade him if they get a viable offer, and C) a promise from the team that they will not franchise him in 2019. Then come in, treat the last year of his contract like a one-year "prove it" deal, and do his best to show the league that he's worth every penny he's asking for. And, frankly, I think teams might be more likely to pay him the money he wants if he demonstrates that he is worth it and they don't have to trade a high draft pick for him.

My guess is Pete and John already offered this deal before camp even started.

Our FO is one of the most open and fair FO's in the league, so if I had to guess John had open communication with Earl and his agent all along.

Come in, ball out, and if we can get our asking price we'll trade you. Earl's the one who's decided to play the martyr card and hold out until he gets a new deal...................that isn't coming. Ever.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
LargentFan":1b3eyp1e said:
I might get hate for this, but I think Earl might be a top 5 all-time Seahawk. Add in that he is still playing top level football and I am sold on keeping him.

Quick and dirty top 5 Seahawks of all time in no particular order...
Steve Largent
Walter Jones
Cortez Kennedy
Kenny Easley
Hmmm...Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson or Earl Thomas might fit here...
Ok he's borderline top 5 all-time and a lock for top 10 all-time.

Ask yourself this...
The next time Earl Thomas makes a play that no other player could make, don't you want to see him in a Seahawks jersey when he does it?
Yes. Without him, we lose.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

toffee

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":20mirp6k said:
Earl lost even more leverage with the news that Cincinnati cut George Iloka, who is nowhere near the player Earl is but will come cheaper and won't cost any draft picks, making him a better option for teams that need a safety but don't want to invest heavily in the position. In fact, it's sounding like the Raiders will pursue Iloka, which pretty much kills any chance of an Earl-for-Mack trade (though I doubt there was ever much of a chance of that anyway.)

“So long God is with me, I will not fold.” Which part of our Earl’s declaration you don’t understand?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
toffee":135requq said:
Shadowhawk":135requq said:

“So long God is with me, I will not fold.” Which part of our Earl’s declaration you don’t understand?

If he plans on following through with this statement, I sure hope he likes the idea of this season becoming null and void. Oh, and millions worth of fines to top it off. Earl Thomas is being an idiot.

toffee

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3fmgyc5g said:
toffee":3fmgyc5g said:
Shadowhawk":3fmgyc5g said:

If he plans on following through with this statement, I sure hope he likes the idea of this season becoming null and void. Oh, and millions worth of fines to top it off. Earl Thomas is being an idiot.

When someone used the “God” word, we must respect his principles and value.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
toffee":3kknced7 said:
Spin Doctor":3kknced7 said:
toffee":3kknced7 said:
Shadowhawk":3kknced7 said:

When someone used the “God” word, we must respect his principles and value.

LOL :pukeface:

pmedic920

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1mip34ub said:
Right, because "god" really cares about football [emoji1]

In fairness, it matters not your (or mine)opinion of “god”.

I don’t care one way or the other but what matters in this case is the belief and conviction of the person originally using the term, and that would be ETIII.

xray

Reaction score
he would still owe the hawks a year

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":ptbk2x3i said:
Shadowhawk":ptbk2x3i said:

None of it.

Unfortunately God doesn't give a rat's ass about millionaires getting more millions playing a game, so not sure why Earl has decided to get all righteous and use his faith as the reason he's holding out.

Probably because that sounds way more selfless and admirable than "hey I'm greedy and I'm just trying to get as much money as possible."