Seahawks reportedly offered a 2nd round pick for QB Brissett

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think John is always kicking the tires on upgrading at every position. So that part I believe.

But 2nd rounder? Hell no, we don't even have a 2nd rounder to offer next year...............ain't no one giving up a 2nd rounder for a backup QB.

If that's the rumor, then it was floated by Brissett's agent to inflate his market value because he's looking for a new team and deal.

purpleneer

Reaction score
chris98251":1zl9cukv said:
Not Fake news as much as possibly click bait from someone, why you post a link when you see stuff like this so the masses can judge for themselves.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...olts-a-second-round-pick-for-jacoby-brissett/

It on CornFlorios site.
Umm... clickbait and "fake news" aren't exactly mutually exclusive. It sounds as much like fake news used as clickbait. And if you consider something to be clickbait, posting links is biting the hook and exacerbates the problem.

chris98251

Reaction score
purpleneer":2e6pxgcn said:
chris98251":2e6pxgcn said:
Not Fake news as much as possibly click bait from someone, why you post a link when you see stuff like this so the masses can judge for themselves.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...olts-a-second-round-pick-for-jacoby-brissett/

It on CornFlorios site.
Umm... clickbait and "fake news" aren't exactly mutually exclusive. It sounds as much like fake news used as clickbait. And if you consider something to be clickbait, posting links is biting the hook and exacerbates the problem.

Ok Viking Purple Lantern, when you post a story tradition is you post the link so that we as a forum can validate that you are not pulling something out of your ass and calling it fact.

Your new so maybe you have not noticed the difference between some people's opinion and them stating it as opinion and others posting news links with a photo and a link to collaborate it as a story that was released. Stories like this that some hack got lkinkind to CornFlorios site where some are opinion, some are fact and some are speculation and some are just reachs lets the readers here make a determination of validity. Florio uses his site for news and click bait all the time.

Ok schools out now.

James in PA

Reaction score
Hmmm. ESPN’s Booger McFarland reported during Monday night’s telecast that general manager Chris Ballard told him before the game there was no second-round offer from the Seahawks.

Funny how this story isn’t being reported after every sports outlet was running the bogus story just a day earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xray

Reaction score
turns out they didnt have a 2nd round pick this year or next :?:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
At least we have the consistency of Twisted talking junk about the Front Office, yet again. For something that didn't even happen. Shocker :lol:

Rat

Reaction score
Some of you are pretty delusional if you think sports writers sit around going "Hmmmm, I want hits, so lets make up a fake news story about the NFL's 20th most popular team, regarding a backup player that hardly anyone cares about".

My guess is that there was probably some interest, but a misinterpretation along the way somewhere led to someone believing a bigger offer had been proposed than was actually proposed. That kind of thing has happened since the beginnings of human language. There's no "fake news" or whatever buzz word is being used for that stuff now.

It makes sense that we'd be interested in Brissett though. He isn't a game-changer, but he is definitely good enough to keep things afloat if Wilson were to miss a few games for whatever reason. Hell, a team that has been to 8 Super Bowls this century thought he was worth a third-round pick.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Soulfish, when they quit making stupid FA decisions and getting robbed in trades, I will gladly stop complaining about the FO.

I do find it interesting that as idiotic as a trade like this would have been, it was completely believable because this FO has made similarly mind-numbingly bad trades.

This is an FO that built a potential dynasty with great drafting, shrewd trades, and tremendous roster moves.

It then followed that incredible feat by dismantling that potential dynasty with incredibly stupid trades, terrible drafts, and ridiculously bad roster moves. At some point, the bad has been piling up for some time while we are still clinging to the successes in 12 & 13 - but it is now 2018. It has been half a decade and they have sucked since.

It isn't out of bounds to suspect they would offer a 2nd for a backup QB after keeping a frankly terrible backup QB on the roster. Part of this is not their fault, they gambled on Boykin and you cannot keep someone on the roster that beats his gf down. But head-scratchingly, if not stupefyingly, bad roster moves have been a larger piece of this FOs body of work than the 2-3 years of good moves it made.

This would be OK if they drafted well to compensate. But it hasn't been great though this last one I have a little more hope for.

Until a problem is acknowledged though, it won't get fixed. The decisioning of this FO is a problem.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Soulfish, that isn't the point.

If you want to do a thread on how this FO turned one of the most dominant teams in the NFL in a decade, into barely a wildcard team. Hey, I will be happy to do that.

The point is why people would believe the Seahawks would even do such a terrible deal as the Brissett trade. Why it would even be believed.

My response is that of course it would be believed because they have a string of terrible trades and deals behind them already. This would be just another on the pile.

The issue is that a deal like the supposed Brissett deal would not really be that much of a shock because the Seahawks have a pretty clear track record in getting fleeced in trades and overspending for players that don't really move the needle.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2vsucee6 said:
Soulfish, when they quit making stupid FA decisions and getting robbed in trades, I will gladly stop complaining about the FO.

I do find it interesting that as idiotic as a trade like this would have been, it was completely believable because this FO has made similarly mind-numbingly bad trades.

This is an FO that built a potential dynasty with great drafting, shrewd trades, and tremendous roster moves.

It then followed that incredible feat by dismantling that potential dynasty with incredibly stupid trades, terrible drafts, and ridiculously bad roster moves. At some point, the bad has been piling up for some time while we are still clinging to the successes in 12 & 13 - but it is now 2018. It has been half a decade and they have sucked since.

It isn't out of bounds to suspect they would offer a 2nd for a backup QB after keeping a frankly terrible backup QB on the roster. Part of this is not their fault, they gambled on Boykin and you cannot keep someone on the roster that beats his gf down. But head-scratchingly, if not stupefyingly, bad roster moves have been a larger piece of this FOs body of work than the 2-3 years of good moves it made.

This would be OK if they drafted well to compensate. But it hasn't been great though this last one I have a little more hope for.

Until a problem is acknowledged though, it won't get fixed. The decisioning of this FO is a problem.

While I don’t agree completely with your assessment that since ‘13 they have made all bad moves. There have been a lot of desperation trades. I believe that the moves they made were in part out of desperation but in a larger sense, a desire to make a great team even greater. They identified weaknesses in the armor and did what they thought was nessesary to keep the team at greatness and to increase that greatness. We only need to look back at last year in what most perceived as a potential championship run. The o line needed a LT so future draft capitol was utilized to keep the team at the potential championship level. Prior to the season they spent additional future draft capitol on a perceived stud d lineman. There have been quite a few high picks discarded in the hopes of attaining and retaining greatness. We can look at the 2017 season as Pete and John putting their chips in for an all in mentality. With a few lucky breaks in the injury department and a functional kicker, it might have worked.
Now in retrospect, we are in a situation where the lost draft capitol could have been used for some additional young hungry talent instead of guys who are no longer here or guys at the end of their careers.
The good news in this is that there isn’t a perceived championship window this year and the team needs an influx of talent at multiple positions. Pete and John have proven in the past that they are capable and excell at acquiring talent fairly cheap. Time for them to re-earn their reputation and team building skills. It’s been said that getting to the top is easier than staying at the top. The stay wasn’t as long as we wanted but the climb was fun. Time for another climb.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Atradees":1ro2fzb2 said:
McGough can be good. Dont need Brissett. And especially dont need Kaepernick

Brissett is an upgrade over both Davis and obviously McGough, especially in our Russell Wilson inspired offensive playcalling..............but not for a 2nd rounder. Not even close.

Backup QB's are traded for late round picks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's ok, when this draft class ends up being one of the best this front office has ever had, will you give them the credit? I doubt it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Soulfish,

I hope that is hyperbole.

This draft class will not be the best it has ever had. Or even one of the best. 0 chance.

2012 draft got us:
Irvin
Wagner
Wilson
Turbin
(Traded a pick for Marshawn Lynch)

Lane
Sweezy

(And we let go of Howard but he became an NFL player later)

That said, I hope this was a good draft. I am excited about Penny and it looks like I was dead wrong on Greene. This could be a good draft. It doesn't at all need to be near as good as 2010, 2011, 2012 or 2013 to be great. I don't think they will ever come close to that run of success again.

nrayorr

Reaction score
All I know is what I saw of the back up QBs in the games we played and that's enough for me to be concerned. We need a backup but not at the expense of our future.

kf3339

Reaction score
It is just really humorous to me that some still think our backup QB matters this season.

This isn't a Super Bowl contenting team. We aren't really even an NFC conference or NFC West contending team this year. IF RW goes down we are sunk know matter who they put in at QB. I think everyone knows that so just calm down about who that backup is going to be. It just doesn't matter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":3m3l5hjv said:
It is just really humorous to me that some still think our backup QB matters this season.

This isn't a Super Bowl contenting team. We aren't really even an NFC conference or NFC West contending team this year. IF RW goes down we are sunk know matter who they put in at QB. I think everyone knows that so just calm down about who that backup is going to be. It just doesn't matter.

Of course it matters, especially for a fringe .500 team like we might be this year.

A good backup could mean the difference between making or missing the playoffs...............it also means the difference between Russell having to play SEVERELY injured again like he did two years ago cause our backup was freaking Trevon Boykin.

#1 reason we signed Davis last year.