Hawks Called Timeout to Prevent Wilson......

nanomoz

Reaction score
Given the terms of this discussion, and the Hawks overall ineptitude with opening drives, why not open up with a hurry up once in a while to try to get Russell into a rhythm?

Dissly's strengths as a blocker give the Hawks a lot more versatility in several groupings.

mrt144

Reaction score
scutterhawk":v44nm9jq said:
mrt144":v44nm9jq said:
But given the circumstances, nobody will be able to help Wilson but himself.

NOBODY can do it ALL BY THEMSELVES.
Wilson might have to "Check Out" (BAIL) on 80% of plays that are poorly thought out.
I think everybody knows what Tom Brady would do with Coaching, or Coaches that run counter to his mindset.

Why do you think Im banging a coaching change drum? I have always believed that nobody in this world does anything by themselves. But given the coaches, he is the only one who can save himself or the team or the season and thats unfair.

I dont get the idea that he just needs to play better or the glib comments to that effect. One doesnt will themselves to better and certainly not in a team sport with so many parts.

D

DomeHawk

For the longest time I have thought that they should just let Wilson call his own plays.

Old school.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Someone responded in the tweet that he heard Pete on 710 say Russell felt the timeout was unnecessary and they shared “competitive thoughts”

Competive thoughts?

Pete’s euphemisms are getting old.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
rjdriver":2x5v968i said:
Someone responded in the tweet that he heard Pete on 710 say Russell felt the timeout was unnecessary and they shared “competitive thoughts”

Competive thoughts?

Sounds like Pete and Russell are finally starting to claw at each other. These two will not be a combo for much longer. It's either gonna be Pete that leaves or Russell.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If Brady or Rodgers are momentarily frustrated due to poor alignment leading to a timeout then that's because they are winners and competitors with high standards.

If Russ is frustrated for the same reason it's actually because there's a huge rift between him and the offense coordinator, and/or between him and the head coach, or apparently because he's a mediocre overhyped QB, and there's some sort of cover up to conceal any (all?) of those.

Clear double standards on this forum from the anti-Virginia crowd due to Russ growing up there.

mrt144

Reaction score
rjdriver":3mn586st said:

Competive thoughts?

A spirited debate over competitive thoughts, i bet.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep. Lord Brady or Erin Rodgers get angry, it's because they are being competitive and they are winners. Russ does the same thing, somehow it's just not right :roll:

Donn2390

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1qi3jo3u said:
I would pay good money to see Wilson flip off Pete like Lynch did with Bevell.

That might make watching the offense worth it.
Most of your posts are way out in left field, but you have outdone yourself with this post. Perhaps you need to follow another team that is perfect.
I get really tired of everyone's negativity in here. Are there any sports fans in Seattle?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":yw2jca7k said:
Yep. Lord Brady or Erin Rodgers get angry, it's because they are being competitive and they are winners. Russ does the same thing, somehow it's just not right :roll:
Exactomondo, I find it ALMOST comical, that some posters in here are ACTUALLY PROFESSING that Pete WANTS Wilson to fail.
There is always going to be miss-meshing when a new OC comes on board, BUTTTTTTTT, the bottom line should be, are the play-calls working for your Franchise Quarterback, and if they aren't?, your Field General should most certainly be able to check out of any play that he feels is a bad fit.
I believe that it was entirely possible, that Pete THOUGHT that Wilson might have been confused at that moment, and that's why he called the Time Out.
I do believe that Schottenheimer wants Wilson to become more of a Pocket Passer, BUT, it ain't his ass that's getting torn up by the consistent crap protection.
MY PERSPECTIVE IS, Schott's is going to have to design plays that aren't too restrictive to Wilson's talents.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Somebdy correct me if I'm wrong, but the formation looks like it has 8 guys on the line. Wouldn't the tightend then be an inelgible receiver on the play because he's covered up by Lockett?

Capture.png

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":8cl78qrr said:
Somebdy correct me if I'm wrong, but the formation looks like it has 8 guys on the line. Wouldn't the tightend then be an inelgible receiver on the play because he's covered up by Lockett?

Capture.png
There are only six guys on the line. As far as this controversy goes, it is hard to say what really went on. Wilson was clearly angry with Pete. My take is, if it was truly an alignment issue why call a timeout with 10 seconds left to go? Especially in this phase of the game where timeouts are crucial.

Hard to trust anything Pete Carroll says, really.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3689hcfr said:
Recon_Hawk":3689hcfr said:

Capture.png
There are only six guys on the line.

No, the line of scrimmage

Rules

The offense is required to set up a formation before a play, subject to several rules:

The formation must have at least 7 players on the line of scrimmage.[1] The 7 players are not required to be next to each other, so they may spread out across the width of the field, but this is rare; most offenses place at least 5 players together in a continuous line. Teams may place more than 7 players on the line, but only the player at each end of the line may be an eligible receiver, so generally this only occurs with the special formations used in kicking and punting situations.
The other players not on the line (usually 4 in number) may be positioned anywhere, but all must be at least 1 yard behind the 7 or more players on the line of scrimmage.[1] The traditional saying is "7 on the line, 4 in the backfield" but this is something of a misnomer, as "backfield" usually refers to the area directly behind the offensive line. 3 of the 4 "backfield" players (i.e., the 3 not receiving the snap from center) may line up as wide receivers as long as they are behind the line of scrimmage; these are known as slot receivers if between the ends, and flankers if outside the ends.
Of the 7 (or more) players on the line of scrimmage, all except those at either end of the line are ineligible receivers: these players may not touch or catch a forward pass[2] (unless it is first touched by an eligible receiver, including a deflection by a defensive player), and on a forward pass play, they may not advance downfield (i.e., across the neutral zone) before the pass crosses the neutral zone. Ineligible receivers may advance freely on a running play or after a pass is thrown. These players typically have uniform numbers in the range 50-79 to indicate they are ineligible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation ... n_football)

Here's same formation (with the RB on the other side of RW), but aligned correctky with Vannett off the line of scrimmage, making him an eligible receiver.

Capture2

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":i9jl2k1u said:
Spin Doctor":i9jl2k1u said:
Recon_Hawk":i9jl2k1u said:

Capture
There are only six guys on the line.

No, the line of scrimmage

Rules

The offense is required to set up a formation before a play, subject to several rules:

The formation must have at least 7 players on the line of scrimmage.[1] The 7 players are not required to be next to each other, so they may spread out across the width of the field, but this is rare; most offenses place at least 5 players together in a continuous line. Teams may place more than 7 players on the line, but only the player at each end of the line may be an eligible receiver, so generally this only occurs with the special formations used in kicking and punting situations.
The other players not on the line (usually 4 in number) may be positioned anywhere, but all must be at least 1 yard behind the 7 or more players on the line of scrimmage.[1] The traditional saying is "7 on the line, 4 in the backfield" but this is something of a misnomer, as "backfield" usually refers to the area directly behind the offensive line. 3 of the 4 "backfield" players (i.e., the 3 not receiving the snap from center) may line up as wide receivers as long as they are behind the line of scrimmage; these are known as slot receivers if between the ends, and flankers if outside the ends.
Of the 7 (or more) players on the line of scrimmage, all except those at either end of the line are ineligible receivers: these players may not touch or catch a forward pass[2] (unless it is first touched by an eligible receiver, including a deflection by a defensive player), and on a forward pass play, they may not advance downfield (i.e., across the neutral zone) before the pass crosses the neutral zone. Ineligible receivers may advance freely on a running play or after a pass is thrown. These players typically have uniform numbers in the range 50-79 to indicate they are ineligible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation ... n_football)

Here's same formation, but aligned correct with Vannett off the line of scrimmage, making him an eligible receiver.

Capture2
my bad

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Was this the sideline woodshedding Wilson, or was It the staff trying to fix a misalignment by the rookie RB. So the blame is being put on the rookie? Why wasn’t Penny pulled out after the timeout?

If it was actually was on the the rookie it is getting obvious in two games now the rookie is being preferred over the better RB in the weekly competition. Pete is doing another Lacy as far as the preference of RBs and his explanation in justification is embarrassingly foolish. Does he truly believe the ‘Always Compete’ mantra?

The only time they moved the ball is when they ran it and quit this down field nonsense with no open WRs, or a lack of pass protection that would allow a deep passing play to succeed.

If this was done to correct Wilson it destroyed the rhythm of the O and upset the timing for Wilson. Something isn’t working and the coach isn’t believing in it, nor is Wilson.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1cmgetoj said:
Nothing will change until Pete Carroll leaves.
I totally disagree.
We fans are the naïve novices, Pete Carroll is not.

JimmyG

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ypl3pra said:
Well, Helea, enlighten us on how horrible Russ is and how everything is his fault.
Our quarterback threw a pick 6. The entire play (~2.5 seconds) he started down the receiver. Somehow, the interception is not his fault, and instead we're scapegoating coaches because they "disrupted Wilson's rhythm". How many times did we hear during his first few years how cool, poised, and collected Wilson is? Now we're supposed to believe he's so upset over a timeout that he's still flustered and rattled on the ensuing play?

This is yet another example of how fans will blame coaches for everything.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":146raval said:
Was this the sideline woodshedding Wilson, or was It the staff trying to fix a misalignment by the rookie RB. So the blame is being put on the rookie? Why wasn’t Penny pulled out after the timeout?

If it was actually was on the the rookie it is getting obvious in two games now the rookie is being preferred over the better RB in the weekly competition. Pete is doing another Lacy as far as the preference of RBs and his explanation in justification is embarrassingly foolish. Does he truly believe the ‘Always Compete’ mantra?

The only time they moved the ball is when they ran it and quit this down field nonsense with no open WRs, or a lack of pass protection that would allow a deep passing play to succeed.

If this was done to correct Wilson it destroyed the rhythm of the O and upset the timing for Wilson. Something isn’t working and the coach isn’t believing in it, nor is Wilson.

Nick Vannett was the player misaligned. Penny was fine.

The misalignment is just bad execution on the players. The offense could have continued the play, but if it was a pass play and Nick Vannett runs a route then it's a penalty for ineligible player downfield.

If it was a run play, that's not as bad except it gives the defense the advantage if they read and understand the misalignment. They would know Vannett has to stay inline and block on the play or else it's a penalty.

My guess is that the play was a run call, so RW felt he could make the play work even with the misalignment, except because it's an audible call Pete Carroll doesn't know if it's a pass or run. All he knows is that his team risks either a penalty or a defense knowing how to defend against the play.

That's why the timeout was called. It wasn't to control Wilson or correct him.