Penny frustrated, Pete likes it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1u1b49sw said:
hawknation2018":1u1b49sw said:
ImTheScientist":1u1b49sw said:
Facts are Penny had the best YPC today amongst the group and most his carries were in clear running situations. He also lead the RB group in rec yards.

Unfortunately the fan base and media isn’t going to give him a fair chance. We are lucky Russell survived his first half a year because I remember media and fans were similarly negative.

Penny had a couple nice moments today. But he's still way behind Carson. When people start taking the conversation in that direction, it gets ridiculous.

Why have you never given Carson any credit?

If you swapped the names/stat lines and Carson had Penny’s stat line and useage the fans and media would throw a fit this week. I should probably know better than to expect fair treatment for all players. It’s obvious when a group has it out for someone.

You never answered the question. It appears to the rest of us that you have it out for Carson.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":6mrnyhbb said:
If Spencer Ware hadn’t got injured we would not seen Kareem Hunt like we did. Unfortunately coaches are stubborn. Ware to me is a pretty good Carson comp FWIW.

So Penny is Kareem Hunt now? Your pure diadain for Carson and any RB on the team who isn't Penny is just bizarre.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
What a pointless and foolish argument. They are both good. Penny is getting more touches now. I think Carson's style is a little more aggressive, but hey, that may lead to more injuries. If so, Penny will be right there to take his place. Win/win.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rcaido":3qs2lq4s said:
Kid cant catch a break at .net

9 carries 43yrds 4.8 AVG
2 rec 27yrds
Couple first down runs

Penny would need 100yards 2td to get a shoulder shrug here.
Folks and their agendas. A lot of it comes from their “pet picks” not being chosen by Seattle.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":35ze9m2t said:
rcaido":35ze9m2t said:
Kid cant catch a break at .net

9 carries 43yrds 4.8 AVG
2 rec 27yrds
Couple first down runs

Penny would need 100yards 2td to get a shoulder shrug here.
Folks and their agendas. A lot of it comes from their “pet picks” not being chosen by Seattle.

And unrealistic/outrageous expectations of all first-round draft picks.

I find it odd that some posters are arrogant enough to believe they can set the performance benchmark for all first-round picks, and believe everyone else should line up and agree with them.

Penny was an important and helpful part of a great team effort today. I loved seeing him getting more yards, and contribution to the overall success of this win. It'll be fun watching him continue to improve and get up to speed with this offense.

chris98251

Reaction score
Carson and Davis both run angry and with attitude, Penny is still thinking and I think needs to develop that attitude.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Imagine when he does? What a blast this running game will be to watch.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Everyone is too quick to dismiss players. First it was ifedi, and now its penny. We need to all give these kids breaks.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2x8l4b8y said:
Imagine when he does? What a blast this running game will be to watch.
There is going to be no "when" for Penny.

themunn

Reaction score
hawk45":vl1tbau8 said:
Yep. Don't care what his stat line is in garbage time when he's going down at first contact. Every single run I say to myself Carson, Davis, or Christine Michael would have gotten at least 2 more and sometimes many more.

He may get good but he's JAG now.

It's not garbage time for running backs - being able to run the ball well enough to take nearly 8 minutes off the clock to close the game is not easy to do - the defense knows it's coming, they stack the box and he still makes tough yards. The 4th quarter is where Lynch demonstrated the difference between a "good" running back and a "great" running back, because he was still able to churn out the yards when it was at its toughest.

In any case, in the last 4 games (since reaffiriming their commitment to the running game) Seattle has averaged 157 rushing yards per game - that would be tops if continued for the entire season. Is it any wonder a rookie RB is finding it hard to break into that statline?

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
What I saw today was Carson needing 3-4 tacklers to take him down. I saw Penny do some nice runs as well, and was heartened that he's improving, but I didn't see the drag-the pile sort of running that Carson does, and Lynch did.

What matters most in this offense is the ability to suck in defenders. If the safeties have to move up because the linebackers need help taking Carson down, then the deep routes are open for Wilson. If the linebackers are forced to respect the play fake, then they can't just spy Wilson all day.

I'll also say there was some good interior blocking happening as well. Carson was often able to get to the second level through the middle, which is fantastic. I lived seeing us run up the gut on 3rd-and-3 and make a first down. That's Pete Carroll football.

Running off the last 8:25 of the game was also very much Pete Carroll football, but we had to pick up some first downs through the air because Penny wasn't as consistent in the 3-4 yard runs. Still, he looked good and showed nice burst.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":15hsw9jg said:
What I saw today was Carson needing 3-4 tacklers to take him down. I saw Penny do some nice runs as well, and was heartened that he's improving, but I didn't see the drag-the pile sort of running that Carson does, and Lynch did.

What matters most in this offense is the ability to suck in defenders. If the safeties have to move up because the linebackers need help taking Carson down, then the deep routes are open for Wilson. If the linebackers are forced to respect the play fake, then they can't just spy Wilson all day.

I'll also say there was some good interior blocking happening as well. Carson was often able to get to the second level through the middle, which is fantastic. I lived seeing us run up the gut on 3rd-and-3 and make a first down. That's Pete Carroll football.

Running off the last 8:25 of the game was also very much Pete Carroll football, but we had to pick up some first downs through the air because Penny wasn't as consistent in the 3-4 yard runs. Still, he looked good and showed nice burst.

Don't need to drag tacklers if they don't touch you. Penny averaged a half yard more than Carson today and over a yard more per carry than Davis. 8) :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Interesting datapoint the last two games Penny has had rushing attempts in he has lead the RB group in YPC.

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":d2md452a said:
Facts are Penny had the best YPC today amongst the group and most his carries were in clear running situations. He also lead the RB group in rec yards.

Unfortunately the fan base and media isn’t going to give him a fair chance. We are lucky Russell survived his first half a year because I remember media and fans were similarly negative.

I've been critical of Penny and was pleased to see some progress today. I still think Carson is outperforming him in effort, finding holes and breaking tackles, but seeing progress is moving in the right direction.

I too have to ask exactly what is it about Carson that you will not recognize or credit him for the effort and results he is getting? Very strange you call yourself a fan, yet throw shade on someone that is playing very well for your team??

You had a similar obsession with Lacey last year now this year Penny also that others have noticed....why?

Anyone else notice the kick return where he turned his back to brace for the tackle like he was scared of being hit hard?

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
I personally like seeing a three headed dragon at running back. Especially with the injury history at that position. Each one of them bring a unique running style

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Seymour":3n43r7gi said:
Very strange you call yourself a fan, yet throw shade on someone that is playing very well for your team??

I agree. Not sure why fans are throwing shade on Penny. Dudes been playing well when given the chance. I fully expect post bye week he will further be integrated into the offense.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2n1snu2c said:
Seymour":2n1snu2c said:
Very strange you call yourself a fan, yet throw shade on someone that is playing very well for your team??

I agree. Not sure why fans are throwing shade on Penny. Dudes been playing well when given the chance. I fully expect post bye week he will further be integrated into the offense.

I personally think that Penny's been given a rough go myself. I don't need even a first-round RB to be a starter on day one, and I think the guy's got talent and durability that will work itself in. So I'm not a Penny hater. Never was.

But we're asking about your hate-boner on Carson (and Rawls, while we're at it). Even the Penny supporters and neutrals in here think it's an eyebrow-raiser.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Cool tweet/stat I just found...Penny was fastest ball carrier this week.

Fastest Seahawks ball carriers by week
1) Tyler Lockett 20.35 MPH
2) Tyler Lockett 18.33 MPH
3) Chris Carson 19.9 MPH
4) David Moore 18.49 MPH
5) Tyler Lockett 20 MPH
6) Rashaad Penny 19.1 MPH

Don’t know how to post it but there is the link.
https://twitter.com/parkerlewisjr/statu ... 52736?s=21

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2r3kirta said:

3) Chris Carson 19.9 MPH
4) David Moore 18.49 MPH
5) Tyler Lockett 20 MPH

Interesting world you live in where 19.1 is faster than 19.9. :roll:

More evidence that you ignore Carson's numbers and production in a very odd manner.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":372y3y8q said:
ImTheScientist":372y3y8q said:

3) Chris Carson 19.9 MPH
4) David Moore 18.49 MPH
5) Tyler Lockett 20 MPH

Interesting world you live in where 19.1 is faster than 19.9. :roll:

More evidance that you ignore Carson's numbers and production in a very odd manner.

It was broken down by Week, not by order within one week. Carson was the fastest in Week 3, Penny in Week 6.