Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

With Paul Allen's passing what will happen to the Hawks?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Will the family takeover managing the team? I do hope so. He was such a quality owner.
    BigBill1945
    NET Veteran

Where do we go from Here
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 pm
  • Jody Allen his sister is his closest relative I wonder what her interests are in his enterprises, this will be a confusing several months with some trepidation of the outcome if things get split up, he has interest in multiple companies as well as the Seahawks, Blazers and Sounders.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• It aint good news from what I can tell. :cry: :34853_doh:

Now, there’s some debate as to what will happen to the two sports franchises Allen owns: the Seahawks and the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers.

Allen had no spouse and no children to leave anything to.

Allen’s sister, Jody Allen, is vice-chair of First & Goal Inc. but as of Monday, it was unclear if she would want to take over ownership of the Seahawks and Trail Blazers.

A report from SportsBusinessRadio stated that Jody Allen does not want to own and run the teams and that Paul Allen’s estate would look to sell the teams.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/with-paul-allens-death-its-unclear-what-happens-next-with-seahawks-ownership/
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• From Vulcan.com:

Paul thoughtfully addressed how the many institutions he founded and supported would continue after he was no longer able to lead them. This isn’t the time to deal in those specifics as we focus on Paul’s family. We will continue to work on furthering Paul’s mission and the projects he entrusted to us. There are no changes imminent for Vulcan, the teams, the research institutes or museums.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:It aint good news from what I can tell. :cry: :34853_doh:

Now, there’s some debate as to what will happen to the two sports franchises Allen owns: the Seahawks and the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers.

Allen had no spouse and no children to leave anything to.

Allen’s sister, Jody Allen, is vice-chair of First & Goal Inc. but as of Monday, it was unclear if she would want to take over ownership of the Seahawks and Trail Blazers.

A report from SportsBusinessRadio stated that Jody Allen does not want to own and run the teams and that Paul Allen’s estate would look to sell the teams.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/with-paul-allens-death-its-unclear-what-happens-next-with-seahawks-ownership/

Oh goodness. Well this could be it, for the next few months several billionaires bidding to buy the Seahawks.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• Whatever happens, it is going to be VERY difficult to find a better owner. Mr. Allen left some VERY big shoes to fill.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• One person I absolutely do not want to own us is Howard Schultz, all I can think about is the Oklahoma Gunslingers in 3 years. Steve Ballmer would not be a bad thought if he is a fan, would be much like Paul owning a NBA team and the Seahawks, he may not be as hands off as Paul was however.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• What about Howard Schultz?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:What about Howard Schultz?

please tell me youre joking
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:What about Howard Schultz?

I would cancel my season tickets.
    * NET Staff *

• RIP Paul Allen

Thanks for everything
    ZornwasaleftY
    NET Rookie

• This could end up Mariners bad where an ownership group buys the team it is it left leaderless for decades.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• I doubt it, Mariners have been a mess since forever, Seahawks have their own Stadium, The VMAC and Practice Facilities and make Money and are relevant.

I would think that there are people chomping at the bit for a chance at what Paul built here.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I could see his sister, Jody Allen running the Seahawks. I heard she is a fan. Definitely could see the team being put up for auction. I wonder if someone like Hanson would buy it? Jeff Bezos perhaps? Though I don’t know if he is into sports.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• I don't know who will step up, but I don't think it will be sold to someone who would consider moving. Paul Allen loved Seattle. That would be a betrayal of his memory.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Jody Allen could step up to the plate and let high-level Vulcan employees handle the operations if she isnt into the management aspect.

Other than that, if team is sold, I think best case scenario would be an ownership group led by someone like Chris Hansen with deep Seattle ties.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Would the Nordstrom family be interested in owning the team again?
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• oldhawkfan wrote:Would the Nordstrom family be interested in owning the team again?

I'm not sure they could afford it anymore.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Russell Wilson could quit his day job as QB and step right into ownership, which he said he always wanted to do.
    OK. just kidding ...
    I personally hope former Great athletes of the Pacific NW get together and build/join an ownership group.
    I'm thinking Detlef Schremp, Bradon Roy, ... etc.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• I refuse to panic until/unless there is reason to. I have to believe Paul made plans that will work out for the team.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

• Bezos??
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:Bezos??

Lord I hope not
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Bill Gates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• Larry, Larry Ellison

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• I haven’t gotten over the news yet.

This thread truly has my stomach upset.

The possibilities are endless, and I can’t think of one that won’t be somewhat worse that what we’ve learned to enjoy.

From an “ownership” standpoint we’ve been spoiled.

I pray that it’s someone that will want to continue vs create something new.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• GLio14
    NET Rookie

• James in PA wrote:Bill Gates

My thought exactly..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Does anyone know Chris Pratt’s net worth?
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Does anyone know Chris Pratt’s net worth?

Yeah, right. Chris Pratt's net worth is $40 million.

The Seahawks are valued at $2.5 billion.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Steve Ballmer would be my ideal choice. He’s the wealthiest owner in all four major American sports with a $38.7 billion net worth. He tried his damndest to keep the Sonics in Seattle and even pushed for relocating the Kings to Seattle before ultimately agreeing to purchase the Clippers and to keep them in L.A. (where they will perpetually play second fiddle to the Lakers). Beyond his wealth and philanthropy, Ballmer is just a great guy and an incredibly passionate sports fan. I couldn’t imagine a more ideal successor to Paul.

But I’m not convinced that Paul’s family will decide to sell. The Seahawks are one of his greatest legacies. If they did decide to sell, I trust they would find someone of great character to carry the mantle of everything Paul stood for and meant for this city.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• James in PA wrote:Bill Gates

hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:Steve Ballmer would be my ideal choice. He’s the wealthiest owner in all four major American sports with a $38.7 billion net worth. He tried his damndest to keep the Sonics in Seattle and even pushed for relocating the Kings to Seattle before ultimately agreeing to purchase the Clippers and to keep them in L.A. (where they will perpetually play second fiddle to the Lakers). Beyond his wealth and philanthropy, Ballmer is just a great guy and an incredibly passionate sports fan. I couldn’t imagine a more ideal successor to Paul.

But I’m not convinced that Paul’s family will decide to sell. The Seahawks are one of his greatest legacies. If they did decide to sell, I trust they would find someone of great character to carry the mantle of everything Paul stood for and meant for this city.

"The Seahawks are one of his greatest legacies". Um.. Have you looked at his laundry list of accomplishments? Winning a SuperBowl is great and all, but man has that guy built up one of the most valuable companies in the world. He also did a ton in the way of brain research, and cancer research. The Seahawks rank near the bottom of his accomplishments, which is saying something. The guy was a resonance man who turned everything he touched into gold.

As far as Paul's family is concerned, he only has one family member alive that I am aware of -- that being Jody Allen. He was not married and did not have kids.The fate of the Seahawks is in but one person's hands, Jody Allen's. Would not be surprised to see her step up as owner. She has been managing all of his projects for quite some time, and some of that management may have tied in with the Hawks. She was the CEO of his Vulcan company since its inception. That being said it also would not be a surprise to see her auction off the team to the highest bidder to keep certain Vulcan projects going. We're kind of in a no mans land at the moment. We don't know what'll happen.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• The Chargers owner Dean Spanos has also passed away. That could lead to two west coast NFL franchises on the market at the same time.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• RIP, Mr. Allen. You will forever be one of my personal heroes, of which i have few.

This is sad. This was the perfect marriage of city and owner. We are such a quirky fanbase, with alot of freedom to be the "12's." Paul Allen was the one who allowed us that freedom, allowed us to thrive as a base. I just hope whomever takes this over, understands and encourages this unique situation to live on. Man.......... I am going to miss Paul, the person and to a lesser extent, leader of the 12 family.
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

• Bill Gates would make sense to buy the Hawks. A buyout by a group would be a disaster . Too many cooks spoil the broth.
    xray
    NET Starter

• Maulbert wrote:
    Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Does anyone know Chris Pratt’s net worth?

But he's a guardian of the galaxy and you can't put a number on that.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Does anyone know Chris Pratt’s net worth?

But he's a guardian of the galaxy and you can't put a number on that.

It would be so easy during a rebuild/retool. Just a snap of the fingers. Groot would be a monster at DE.
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie

• It’s unlikely, but if they were to sell the team, it’d be cool if they followed the Packers’ model and sold it to the fans.

Edit: Just researched. Seems current NFL policy is that there can be a max of 32 owners of a given team, and one of them has to own at least 30%. The Pack was grandfathered in with their ownership model.

Boo.
    Last edited by sc85sis on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

• The team's not even for sale and we are speculating who the next owner will be? Jumping the gun a bit I'd say! Paul Allen got rich from Microsoft but got richer by protecting his investments and making solid financial choices. I can guarantee you that there is already a plan in place to keep this team thriving. The seahawks were a very small piece of the puzzle in Allen's overall portfolio, give it time and it will be more clear as to what he envisioned happening with the team. My bet.....Vulcan will manage ownership of the team. The primary goal of Vulcan right now is to protect the estate. I see this as good until the team needs to spend more on improvements or coaches or even opening the wallett for particular players. When teams are ran more like a business that means more people are involved in decisions and once the money shrinks a little so will the investment. Only time will tell.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Starter

• SpokaneHawks wrote:Paul Allen got rich from Microsoft but got richer by protecting his investments and making solid financial choices. I can guarantee you that there is already a plan in place to keep this team thriving.

My thoughts exactly.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• She is going to sell both teams.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• PlinytheCenter wrote:She is going to sell both teams.

That is a pretty serious comment that looks to be stated as fact. Why on earth post that with no supporting information? :177692:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Obviously anything right now in regards to this topic is pure speculation.

My hope is that Jody keeps the Hawks and keeps the already highly functional chain of command internally in place. Nothing ruins a franchise quicker than a new owner that cleans house and thinks he/she knows better than the already smart savvy people running the team...........and drives it right into a ditch.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seymour wrote:
    PlinytheCenter wrote:She is going to sell both teams.

That is a pretty serious comment that looks to be stated as fact. Why on earth post that with no supporting information? :177692:

Just a gut feeling, that's all. We'll find out shortly I suppose.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• Whatever happens, it will have to be with the approval of NFL ownership.

They liked Paul, and I doubt they'd have any interest in the team moving.

The Seahawks have a Worlwide following, which means jersey sales and money for the NFL. Are they going to want to shoot themselves in the foot buy starting all over? Especially with the pissed off Chargers and Rams fans already venting their frustrations?

The reaction to a Seahawks move would be extremely negative because the team name would likely change and there is no following for a newly named team like there is for the Chargers, Rams, and Browns.

And what big city fans would follow this team with a new name after dissing on it for years and seeing it get screwed time after time? "Don't move them here, give us an expansion team instead."
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Paul Allen was the perfect owner. Abundantly rich, but humble and kind. He had a passionate interest in the team, but he was hands-off unless he needed to step in. You can't find a better combo than that.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• ivotuk wrote:Whatever happens, it will have to be with the approval of NFL ownership.

The Seahawks have a Worlwide following, which means jersey sales and money for the NFL. Are they going to want to shoot themselves in the foot buy starting all over? Especially with the pissed off Chargers and Rams fans already venting their frustrations?

The reaction to a Seahawks move would be extremely negative because the team name would likely change and there is no following for a newly named team like there is for the Chargers, Rams, and Browns.

And what big city fans would follow this team with a new name after dissing on it for years and seeing it get screwed time after time? "Don't move them here, give us an expansion team instead."

Add the Raiders fans to that too. Rumor has it they may be tearing down as part of their move plan.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:Whatever happens, it will have to be with the approval of NFL ownership.

I don't think anyone's thinking the team would move with a new owner.

Even if the team's sold, the new owner would be an idiot to move the Hawks. Affluent city, insanely loyal and amazing fanbase, great stadium, THE best practice and training facility in the entire league. There literally isn't one good reason to move a team like the Hawks...............and BECAUSE of Behring the NFL owners created the Behring Rule where it requires a 3/4 approval vote to move any franchise.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Ding ding ding, Sgt Largent for the win. It would make no sense for the NFL owners to let the team move. St louis was too small a market. San Diego and Oakland dont pencil out (sucky stadiums for one thing.) Moving is unlikely, now inept new ownership...yikes. Mariners...ugh.
    AubHawk71
    NET Practice Squad

• At this point we don't even know if the Seahawks were left to Jody Allen. From what i've read from Vulcan there is a plan in place for the team and I'm sure it absolutely enforces no move.

And it's not like there is a better market that needs an NFL team. Seahawks represent the PNW and its in the leagues best interest to have a franchise in such a large corner of the US. Seattle's proximity to Canada also means the Hawks have a huge following in Canada with the second largest Canadian city a mere 2 hours away. That's a lot of revenue.

My hope is that Paul's sister does stay involved and is able to convince another tech billionaire to form a stable partnership that ensures the team remains in Seattle and is focused on greatness rather than just lining the owners pockets.

That was Paul's greatest asset. He didn't care about the money he could make off the Seahawks. He cared that the team won and understood that the best way to do that isn't to meddle incessantly but to find the best football minds and hire them to do their thing.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information