Paul Allen has died

pmedic920

Reaction score
fifty9fan":1odz09jt said:
Very rarely post, but will today in honor of the greatest owner in all of sports. You will be missed, Mr. Allen. Would love to see the Seahawks retire either #48, or #99 in tribute. And as others have said, put that man in the Ring of Honor. THANK YOU for giving us all many more years of Seahawk football! RIP, sir.

Great idea.

I vote retire #48 in his Honor.

I have a custom #48 that has “super bowl” on the name plate.

I say put Allen on the 48.

Never to be worn again.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
What a shocking and sudden announcement of awful news.

We knew his Lymphoma had returned and he was a fighter who had beat it before. This is just terrible news. A Titan in so many areas taken from us too soon.

I am forever grateful to Paul Allen who saved my Seahawks from a fate like that of the Sonics. My only wish was he rather than the jerk from Starbucks had owned the Sonics instead of the Trailblazers, Seattle would still have Roundball team instead of ever other corner Starbucks franchises, much as I like their coffee.

Better still was the Paul Allen who loved his community, was generous in his philanthropy, and a omnivor for various interesting projects being blesssed with deep pockets which had resulted from his exceptional tech wizardry.

I don’t know that he can ever be replaced as being the best owner ever in the whole league. money was little concern and he left the footballl decisions to those who knew what they were doing instead of meddling he assisted in the development of a really talented staff and encouraged them to do all they could to bring Seattle a winning team in a tremendous facility designed for real football played outside with the loudest fans of any team.

What a disastrous loss to the Seahawks and to us fans of the Seahawks.

Rest In Peace Paul, watch over your team which you kept for us all. God bless you, and thank you!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
A great man. It's very unfortunate (not just from a Seahawks perspective, but from a philanthropic one) that he died at what is frankly nowadays nearly the tail end of being middle-aged...

Rest in peace, Behring slayer.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Not long woken up and was just checking out NFL.com and it said "Paul Allen had a major impact as Seahawks owner" and I'm like that's a nice story and then it was WAIT? WHAT?

No words yet. Absolutely thrown by this.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":2v21wy6b said:
fifty9fan":2v21wy6b said:
Very rarely post, but will today in honor of the greatest owner in all of sports. You will be missed, Mr. Allen. Would love to see the Seahawks retire either #48, or #99 in tribute. And as others have said, put that man in the Ring of Honor. THANK YOU for giving us all many more years of Seahawk football! RIP, sir.

Great idea.

I vote retire #48 in his Honor.

I have a custom #48 that has “super bowl” on the name plate.

I say put Allen on the 48.

Never to be worn again.
I like this and a statue with him and the lombardi right out in front for all to see..

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":u5ub0004 said:
Not long woken up and was just checking out NFL.com and it said "Paul Allen had a major impact as Seahawks owner" and I'm like that's a nice story and then it was WAIT? WHAT?

No words yet. Absolutely thrown by this.

Yes, me too. It was about 8:30AM Tuesday here when I heard the news on the radio. I've been in glum disbelief all day. There was a very short mention of his passing on the evening TV news (Seahawks not mentioned).

Like someone has already said here - I have never felt so saddened by the passing of someone I didn't know.

Vale, Mr Seahawk (and so very much more).

BullHawk33

Reaction score
The right owner can set a sports franchise up for success. The wrong one, can try to move it down to Los Angeles or Oklahoma City. Paul was a fantastic franchise owner. Sad day for fans and his family.

jmahon316

Reaction score
I do not know much about him, but I have heard he was very impactful not only to the community but also a savior for the team I hold near and dear to my heart and love to root for. It's always a sad day when someone so unique, gifted, and generous like Paul Allen passes, especially when it was felt that he had more time. Mr. Allen, you will be missed by so many people, and the world needs more people like you, not less. Thank you for everything you have done.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I’m stunned by the news of his passing and equally shocked to learn that he has no close family. Having cancer myself I can’t imagine facing it alone with no family. I also can’t imagine having all of that success without anyone to share with. Sad.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
rip GODSPEED Mr. Allen man this sucks I was a work and it truly feels like one of my family members just
passed we owe him so much man this sucks

xray

Reaction score
He was a hands off owner for the most part ; but he was a huge fan...that's what made him Gr8. GO HAWKS!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure if most Hawk fans understand what a great owner Allen was, to have the philosophy of hiring great people from the bottom up and give them every resource possible..........and then stand back and let them do their thing is a very rare thing with pro sports.

As someone who had to be a fan during the Behring years, Allen was a god send, and will be sorely missed. First class all the way.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Here's a Forbes Article from October 1995 of Gates and Allen talking with Forbes on the 20th Anniversary of starting Microsoft:

GETTING TO KNOW YOU GATES: Our friendship started after the mothers' club paid to put a computer terminal in the school in 1968. The notion was that, of course, the teachers would figure out this computer thing and then teach it to the students. But that didn't happen. It was the other way around. There was a group of students who kind of went nuts ALLEN: The teletype room was full of rolled-up paper-tape programs and manuals and everything else. Between classes, or whenever any of us hard-core computer types had a spare period, we would congregate there.

GATES: It was easy to spend a lot of money on computer time. One of the smarter teachers accidentally created an infinite loop and spent something like $60 in one shot. He was so shocked that he didn't want to go near the thing after that. We ran through the mothers' club money pretty fast.

ALLEN: When that happened, the computer service would bill the school, and then the school would charge us or our parents. It wasn't always easy to tell your parents how much you had racked up, so we paid it ourselves when we could. GATES: At the end of the year, Paul massively overdrew his checking account. On graduation day he was with his mother, and the school officials came up and said before he could get his diploma they would have to pay $200 for all this excess computer time.

We were always scrounging for free computer time. One year a student's mother arranged for us to go downtown to a new, commercial computer center. We didn't have to pay for the time as long as we could find bugs in their system and report them. They brought us in like monkeys, but it was a godsend.

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fo ... /index.htm

Latest posts