With Paul Allen's passing what will happen to the Hawks?

pmedic920

Reaction score
I haven’t gotten over the news yet.

This thread truly has my stomach upset.

The possibilities are endless, and I can’t think of one that won’t be somewhat worse that what we’ve learned to enjoy.

From an “ownership” standpoint we’ve been spoiled.

I pray that it’s someone that will want to continue vs create something new.

GLio14

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1051979335425495041[/tweet]

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Steve Ballmer would be my ideal choice. He’s the wealthiest owner in all four major American sports with a $38.7 billion net worth. He tried his damndest to keep the Sonics in Seattle and even pushed for relocating the Kings to Seattle before ultimately agreeing to purchase the Clippers and to keep them in L.A. (where they will perpetually play second fiddle to the Lakers). Beyond his wealth and philanthropy, Ballmer is just a great guy and an incredibly passionate sports fan. I couldn’t imagine a more ideal successor to Paul.

But I’m not convinced that Paul’s family will decide to sell. The Seahawks are one of his greatest legacies. If they did decide to sell, I trust they would find someone of great character to carry the mantle of everything Paul stood for and meant for this city.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2o5aheoy said:
Steve Ballmer would be my ideal choice. He’s the wealthiest owner in all four major American sports with a $38.7 billion net worth. He tried his damndest to keep the Sonics in Seattle and even pushed for relocating the Kings to Seattle before ultimately agreeing to purchase the Clippers and to keep them in L.A. (where they will perpetually play second fiddle to the Lakers). Beyond his wealth and philanthropy, Ballmer is just a great guy and an incredibly passionate sports fan. I couldn’t imagine a more ideal successor to Paul.

But I’m not convinced that Paul’s family will decide to sell. The Seahawks are one of his greatest legacies. If they did decide to sell, I trust they would find someone of great character to carry the mantle of everything Paul stood for and meant for this city.
"The Seahawks are one of his greatest legacies". Um.. Have you looked at his laundry list of accomplishments? Winning a SuperBowl is great and all, but man has that guy built up one of the most valuable companies in the world. He also did a ton in the way of brain research, and cancer research. The Seahawks rank near the bottom of his accomplishments, which is saying something. The guy was a resonance man who turned everything he touched into gold.

As far as Paul's family is concerned, he only has one family member alive that I am aware of -- that being Jody Allen. He was not married and did not have kids.The fate of the Seahawks is in but one person's hands, Jody Allen's. Would not be surprised to see her step up as owner. She has been managing all of his projects for quite some time, and some of that management may have tied in with the Hawks. She was the CEO of his Vulcan company since its inception. That being said it also would not be a surprise to see her auction off the team to the highest bidder to keep certain Vulcan projects going. We're kind of in a no mans land at the moment. We don't know what'll happen.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The Chargers owner Dean Spanos has also passed away. That could lead to two west coast NFL franchises on the market at the same time.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
RIP, Mr. Allen. You will forever be one of my personal heroes, of which i have few.

This is sad. This was the perfect marriage of city and owner. We are such a quirky fanbase, with alot of freedom to be the "12's." Paul Allen was the one who allowed us that freedom, allowed us to thrive as a base. I just hope whomever takes this over, understands and encourages this unique situation to live on. Man.......... I am going to miss Paul, the person and to a lesser extent, leader of the 12 family.

xray

Reaction score
Bill Gates would make sense to buy the Hawks. A buyout by a group would be a disaster . Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":3ig0926m said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3ig0926m said:
Does anyone know Chris Pratt’s net worth?

Yeah, right. Chris Pratt's net worth is $40 million.

The Seahawks are valued at $2.5 billion.

But he's a guardian of the galaxy and you can't put a number on that.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
Seanhawk":19lrj21h said:
Maulbert":19lrj21h said:
Pandion Haliaetus":19lrj21h said:
Does anyone know Chris Pratt’s net worth?

Yeah, right. Chris Pratt's net worth is $40 million.

The Seahawks are valued at $2.5 billion.

But he's a guardian of the galaxy and you can't put a number on that.

It would be so easy during a rebuild/retool. Just a snap of the fingers. Groot would be a monster at DE.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It’s unlikely, but if they were to sell the team, it’d be cool if they followed the Packers’ model and sold it to the fans.

Edit: Just researched. Seems current NFL policy is that there can be a max of 32 owners of a given team, and one of them has to own at least 30%. The Pack was grandfathered in with their ownership model.

Boo.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
The team's not even for sale and we are speculating who the next owner will be? Jumping the gun a bit I'd say! Paul Allen got rich from Microsoft but got richer by protecting his investments and making solid financial choices. I can guarantee you that there is already a plan in place to keep this team thriving. The seahawks were a very small piece of the puzzle in Allen's overall portfolio, give it time and it will be more clear as to what he envisioned happening with the team. My bet.....Vulcan will manage ownership of the team. The primary goal of Vulcan right now is to protect the estate. I see this as good until the team needs to spend more on improvements or coaches or even opening the wallett for particular players. When teams are ran more like a business that means more people are involved in decisions and once the money shrinks a little so will the investment. Only time will tell.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":1j5htdzp said:
Paul Allen got rich from Microsoft but got richer by protecting his investments and making solid financial choices. I can guarantee you that there is already a plan in place to keep this team thriving.

My thoughts exactly.