Fire Pete

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3i9wjjox said:
ImTheScientist":3i9wjjox said:
toffee":3i9wjjox said:
I would like to know, in your opinion, which coach, or OC will give WIlson the best performance?

Sean McVay, Andy Reid, Doug Peterson

With that said I know they are not available. You pick up and coming OC from a similar mold and hope he works out.

This is like selling a $5000 winning lottery ticket to by 5000 tickets on next years draw in order to "win it all".

Pete Carroll has a proven track record of developing great teams at college and pro level, winning the top prize and looks to be repeating that once again. And you are wanting to take a chance on an unproven OC from a pass happy offense?

Maybe.....maybe not. Worked out pretty well for the Rams and Eagles. Depends on how comfortable you are with risk.

toffee

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1k4ovvtu said:
toffee":1k4ovvtu said:
For folks in the “fire Pete” Brigade, you guys must produce replacement candidates to make your argument legit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im going to fire PC. Then as my second move Im going to lean on JS to produce the best candidate.

What if JS recommends one Pete Carroll? Fire JS? Replace both JS and PC with. ..... ???????

Uncle Si

Reaction score
3-3 off a 27-3 win and the Fire Pete thread has the most posts today.

.Net

toffee

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":167b9f9d said:
Considering today's event, I don't think it is relevant anymore.

RIP Mr. Allen,

Got to wonder with Paul Allen, would the team take a different direction? Would Pete's contract be renewed?

justafan

Reaction score
This might end up being one of his best coaching jobs. The record may not show it at the end ,but to rally the team after all the talent that was lost says alot.

I applaud him for getting rid of some of the loudmouths and not caving to Earl. And most important to me is playing the game be believes.Thats playing tough physical D and running the ball. In a few years Mcvay will be playing checkers with Martz sniffin each others farts.

justafan

Reaction score
hawknation2018":g3pnq24n said:
Fade":g3pnq24n said:
What has Pete done in the last 5 years to warrant such blind faith?

Five years ago, they were in the middle of a Super Bowl campaign and ultimately won the only Super Bowl in franchise history.

The next year, they returned to the Super Bowl and narrowly lost.

The next year, they won double digit victories for the 4th-consecutive year, overcame numerous injuries to players like Marshawn Lynch and Jimmy Graham, had one of the best offenses in franchise history, and finished with the #1 scoring defense for the 4th-straight season.

The next year, they won double digit victories for the 5th-consecutive year, overcame numerous injuries to Russell Wilson that slowed the offense, improved on their record from the prior year, won the NFC West, won a playoff game for the 5th-straight year, and were #1 in scoring defense once again until an Earl Thomas injury ended their streak and derailed the season.

The next year, they narrowly missed the playoffs due to multiple injuries, won 9 games, and finally fired their offensive coaching staff.

Now, we are in a clear transition year after losing a large amount of talent due to injury and contract. During these five years, they have won 10 playoff victories, two NFC champisonships, and a Super Bowl. That is what Carroll has done. No active coach, except Bill Belichick, has accomplished more.

You hit it. I have read several posts pointing out the trend. There is only one direction to go after reaching the pinnacle.

justafan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":c664fqhg said:
Seymour":c664fqhg said:
Sgt. Largent":c664fqhg said:
TwistedHusky":c664fqhg said:
Ultimately, the issue with keeping Pete is that you really won't know what you have got with Wilson.

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe Pete knows that Russell is who Russell is, and that's a very smart tough game manager type QB that thrives best when given a great run game to use play action to get the ball downfield, of which Russell DOES VERY WELL.

In a vacuum in another dimension I'd love to see what Andy Reid or Peterson in Philly could do with Russell.........but maybe they'd also find out that Russell has some very real limitations to his game that they can't crack, and he's best served to be in an offense like this where he's not expected to carry an offense.

If Pete and John believe Wilson is a game manager and gave him an Arron Rodgers contract (-$1,000 per year), then they both need to be strung up by the balls and tortured.

Do you even know what a "game manager" is? :roll:

It is a derogatory name given to a below average QB that is only good enough to not screw things up. :177692: :141847_bnono: :roll:

You are either a franchise QB or a game manager, you cannot be both!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_manager

Ha, I know people don't like that term, "game manager"........and I certainly don't mean it as a derogatory term, I love Russell.

What I mean by it is a QB that only throws the ball 20-30 times a game, and you don't rely on to carry the team for four quarters game in and game out. You rely on him to make smart decisions, protect the ball and make 3-4 explosive plays per game playing off your dominant run game.

So yeah, is that worth 33M+ a year? I have no idea, that scares the hell out of me. But you know what else scares the hell out of me? This team without Russell and going back to a revolving door of mediocre QB's for the next 20 years.

I agree with your definition of a game manager. I also think you can be both and thats what Wilson is IMO. At the end of the game he has the ability to take control and win close games.Not every QB has that ability like Wilson

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":37a6qsi1 said:

Exactly. Everything about this topic changes after today's news. Firing Pete would be flat out stupid to talk about now (for me) because my main trust was in Paul to find an answer to our future success. Now....sadly I think the worst case scenario has just occurred. :cry:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Hmmm....why is everyone thinking that we will easily beat the 9ers twice? The Cheeseheads are in real battle right now with the 9ers. There are no easy wins in the NFL. (This could all change in the second half.)

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
rcaido":necf9mew said:
toffee":necf9mew said:
For folks in the “fire Pete” Brigade, you guys must produce replacement candidates to make your argument legit?

These clowns can have a straight flush and would trade in their 9 to try to get a royal flush. Go fish
This sums up this entire thread.

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":xny2brew said:
TwistedHusky":xny2brew said:

Exactly. Everything about this topic changes after today's news. Firing Pete would be flat out stupid to talk about now (for me) because my main trust was in Paul to find an answer to our future success. Now....sadly I think the worst case scenario has just occurred. :cry:

my fear now is the new owner/power would want their own guy, so Pete will be replaced by some less qualified "my guy".

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":1qvcjazx said:
Seymour":1qvcjazx said:
TwistedHusky":1qvcjazx said:

my fear now is the new owner/power would want their own guy, so Pete will be replaced by some less qualified "my guy".

If Jody stays I think it will be much the same but with less money in the coffers if a Ballmer bought them, still not a lot of changes but maybe more involvement. Same for Hansen, if a guy like Schultz bought them I would cringe and say we are now a Dallas Cowboys or Washington Redskins team in the making and going back down the Behring path again.

Donn2390

Reaction score
toffee":1dwe3tiz said:
Seymour":1dwe3tiz said:
TwistedHusky":1dwe3tiz said:

Usually, not always..., someone smart enough to be able to afford to spend mega millions on a toy isn't stupid and won't mess with a winning formula. There are exceptions of course, but I don't see any reason to worry...

chris98251

Reaction score
Donn2390":1xyab0wx said:
toffee":1xyab0wx said:
Seymour":1xyab0wx said:
TwistedHusky":1xyab0wx said:

Usually, not always..., someone smart enough to be able to afford to spend mega millions on a toy isn't stupid and won't mess with a winning formula. There are exceptions of course, but I don't see any reason to worry...

Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, the Bidwells, The Yorks, Browns ownership, Dolphins current Ownership, Bengals Ownership, Irsay more then a few.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
rcaido":3ccrsj6r said:
Sgt. Largent":3ccrsj6r said:
Seymour":3ccrsj6r said:
Sgt. Largent":3ccrsj6r said:
Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe Pete knows that Russell is who Russell is, and that's a very smart tough game manager type QB that thrives best when given a great run game to use play action to get the ball downfield, of which Russell DOES VERY WELL.

In a vacuum in another dimension I'd love to see what Andy Reid or Peterson in Philly could do with Russell.........but maybe they'd also find out that Russell has some very real limitations to his game that they can't crack, and he's best served to be in an offense like this where he's not expected to carry an offense.

If Pete and John believe Wilson is a game manager and gave him an Arron Rodgers contract (-$1,000 per year), then they both need to be strung up by the balls and tortured.

It is a derogatory name given to a below average QB that is only good enough to not screw things up. :177692: :141847_bnono: :roll:

Ha, I know people don't like that term, "game manager"........and I certainly don't mean it as a derogatory term, I love Russell.

What I mean by it is a QB that only throws the ball 20-30 times a game, and you don't rely on to carry the team for four quarters game in and game out. You rely on him to make smart decisions, protect the ball and make 3-4 explosive plays per game playing off your dominant run game.

So yeah, is that worth 33M+ a year? I have no idea, that scares the hell out of me. But you know what else scares the hell out of me? This team without Russell and going back to a revolving door of mediocre QB's for the next 20 years.

I guess game mangers dont win games either?

Interesting stat here...

Wilson has 19 4th quarter comebacks and 24gwd in his young career

Already more then the god Erin Rodgers

13 4th comeback and 20 gwd

Aslo Pete & Wilson combo has the 2nd best record since they been with each other. Yeah lets get rid of these non producers.
I think you're misconstruing people's concerns here. People are not worried about Wilson as much as they are worried about Pete and his offensive philosophy. If we run the same sorts of offenses we've seen under Pete Carroll we could have a 30 million dollar QB that throws the ball 19 times a game. The other extreme is fielding an offense that sputters for three or more quarters due to poor offensive schemes.

Under Pete is does become a relevant question: "is Wilson worth 30 million or more per year". That 30 million will seriously gimp our team unless Pete Carroll changes up his offensive philosophy and gives Russ more autonomy. Our Quarterback is the most restricted QB in the NFL. We don't give him very much in the way of options for changing plays, and route options. Very simplistic style that has cost us many games, and will cost us even more if Russ is paid 30 million per year. We realistically could be seeing a lot more units like the frustrating 2017 team that can't seem to get out of their own way with Pete's style paired with a limited salary cap.

toffee

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ve8bgl8p said:
rcaido":ve8bgl8p said:
Sgt. Largent":ve8bgl8p said:
Seymour":ve8bgl8p said:

Interesting stat here...

Aslo Pete & Wilson combo has the 2nd best record since they been with each other. Yeah lets get rid of these non producers.
I think you're misconstruing people's concerns here. People are not worried about Wilson as much as they are worried about Pete and his offensive philosophy. If we run the same sorts of offenses we've seen under Pete Carroll we could have a 30 million dollar QB that throws the ball 19 times a game. The other extreme is fielding an offense that sputters for three or more quarters due to poor offensive schemes.

Under Pete is does become a relevant question: "is Wilson worth 30 million or more per year". That 30 million will seriously gimp our team unless Pete Carroll changes up his offensive philosophy and gives Russ more autonomy. Our Quarterback is the most restricted QB in the NFL. We don't give him very much in the way of options for changing plays, and route options. Very simplistic style that has cost us many games, and will cost us even more if Russ is paid 30 million per year. We realistically could be seeing a lot more units like the frustrating 2017 team that can't seem to get out of their own way with Pete's style paired with a limited salary cap.
we are getting a new owner, so you wish of a new HC is so happening.

Seymour

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":122olynx said:
rcaido":122olynx said:
Sgt. Largent":122olynx said:
Seymour":122olynx said:

Interesting stat here...

A week ago I would have agreed with this...or close. Listen to Pete's press conference today. He talks about how Russell now has more control at the line of scrimmage then he has ever had "and he's doing well with it". So....possibly Pete is expanding his role he allows his QB to have finally. :2thumbs:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seymour":1uzvph63 said:
Spin Doctor":1uzvph63 said:
rcaido":1uzvph63 said:
Sgt. Largent":1uzvph63 said:

Interesting stat here...

A week ago I would have agreed with this...or close. Listen to Pete's press conference today. He talks about how Russell now has more control at the line of scrimmage then he has ever had "and he's doing well with it". So....possibly Pete is expanding his role he allows his QB to have finally. :2thumbs:
I noticed this as well, he is doing more work at the LOS. The problem with Pete though is things never seem to stick. We always revert back to the same offense. We do things differently in spurts, and then when the dust settles we go back to our old ways on offense. I hope this doesn't happen.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
It's a strange, and maybe even completely misplaced idea, to think that if you pay your QB more, you must therefore make him (or expect him to) throw more. You don't pay your QB for yards thrown, but for efficiency and accuracy within a system that produces wins. If RW is part of a winning system due to these qualities, he's worth whatever the team can pay.

You don't get 17/23 and 3 TDs from a game manager, unless of course that term is far more complimentary than most people assume. It takes a very special, capable QB to play in this system, and not just anyone could do so; that's a pipe-dream. Pete and John may need to pay a lot to have a quality enough QB for this Offense, and Russ is the perfect one for it.

If what some fans are after is a QB's stat-line (yards, completions, TDs), then I'm more thrilled than ever that those fans are limited to this site and not the front office of the Seahawks.