Time to pay Frank

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":8w1cwd12 said:
With the latest event of the passing on of Paul, it is likely there is a freeze on contract extensions until ownership takeover channels / parameters are established.

Seems counter intuitive to the type of person and owner Allen was.

My guess is why he put new a new President in place in September was to make sure nothing on the football operations side was interrupted by his death.

So I betcha Allen put safeguards in place that everything will remain as is and running smoothly until the formal transfer of ownership happens to Jody.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Frank Clark is a second tier pass rusher who will end up getting first tier money. His performance against the Raiders is not indicative of his statistical play. He has many games where he isn't even a factor. All that said the Hawks are between a rock and a hard place with no other legit pass rushers. I am sure the Hawks will over pay and we will be lamenting it for the next 3 or so years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkerD":euszxbhu said:
Frank Clark is a second tier pass rusher who will end up getting first tier money. His performance against the Raiders is not indicative of his statistical play. He has many games where he isn't even a factor. All that said the Hawks are between a rock and a hard place with no other legit pass rushers. I am sure the Hawks will over pay and we will be lamenting it for the next 3 or so years.

Not sure how being tied for 3rd in the league only behind guys like Watt, Miller and Atkins is "second tier," but you go on with your bad self.

That's on pace btw for 14.5 sacks, if you're keeping score at home, but it sounds like you aren't.

bigcc

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":3d368g8r said:
I think the biggest concern is that he is playing light out in a contract year. What will he be after he gets paid? Everyone has seen players play fantastic in the contract year, get paid, then basically disappear after.

He's had 19 sacks the last two seasons, and he's 25 years old, there is absolutely no reason to think he's only playing well for a contract just to disappear.

On top of that, if he hasn't played well enough to deserve a large contract, who exactly WOULD you spend that money on?

Seriously if a 25 year old top tier edge rusher isn't worth the money I'd love to know who is. I might get it if he'd been a scrub to this point, but he's been anything but.

EDIT: that being said I dont think now is the time to pursue it fully after that kind of game, but I'd love to see it done before the end of the season

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pxzztx4 said:
HawkerD":1pxzztx4 said:

Not sure how being tied for 3rd in the league only behind guys like Watt, Miller and Atkins is "second tier," but you go on with your bad self.

That's on pace btw for 14.5 sacks, if you're keeping score at home, but it sounds like you aren't.
Clark is an interesting case. I'm for signing the guy, because quite frankly we don't have the option not to. He is our only viable pass rusher at the moment. As far as his merits go, I'm quite torn on him as a player. He gets the sack numbers but he doesn't seem to provide the consistent pressure that guys like Watt, and Miller give. He'll pop off some games, and others it will be as if he is not even on the field. Even in some games that he gets a sack, there isn't much in the way of disruption and pressure. Overall I think he is a good player that is worth signing, but sometimes I don't quite know what to make of him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":9np1u5qh said:
Sgt. Largent":9np1u5qh said:
HawkerD":9np1u5qh said:

Clark is an interesting case. I'm for signing the guy, because quite frankly we don't have the option not to. He is our only viable pass rusher at the moment. As far as his merits go, I'm quite torn on him as a player. He gets the sack numbers but he doesn't seem to provide the consistent pressure that guys like Watt, and Miller give. He'll pop off some games, and others it will be as if he is not even on the field. Even in some games that he gets a sack, there isn't much in the way of disruption and pressure. Overall I think he is a good player that is worth signing, but sometimes I don't quite know what to make of him.

But this is every defensive end.........Khalil Mack had one assist and no sacks against the Dolphins last weekend.

By your logic it was if "he wasn't even on the field." That's the nature of the NFL, all you're looking for is consistency. Clark is evolving and coming on as one of the best DE's in the league............and that's an important thing to remember. We aren't talking about giving an old DE like Avril or Bennett another gigantic extension, we're talking about a young DE that should still be improving and playing well 4-5 years from now.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cuvio4j1 said:
Spin Doctor":cuvio4j1 said:
Sgt. Largent":cuvio4j1 said:
HawkerD":cuvio4j1 said:

But this is every defensive end.........Khalil Mack had one assist and no sacks against the Dolphins last weekend.

By your logic it was if "he wasn't even on the field." That's the nature of the NFL, all you're looking for is consistency. Clark is evolving and coming on as one of the best DE's in the league............and that's an important thing to remember. We aren't talking about giving an old DE like Avril or Bennett another gigantic extension, we're talking about a young DE that should still be improving and playing well 4-5 years from now.
I don't know, I feel like I see him rendered useless more often than the top tier guys. Maybe its bias because I watch the Seahawks every week. I'm not saying he is a bad player, it's just I feel like he is a non-factor more often than your Millers. I wish I had some sort of pressure stat. I don't get to watch the Kalil's and the Millers every week.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fade":3dunndwt said:
He should've already been extended about 4 months ago for around $14-15M APY, Danielle Hunter set his market.

He is gone at the end of the year unless Seattle is willing to pony up $20M APY if Clark stays healthy, an injury would destroy his value of course.

He is 26 and will be the premier UFA pass rusher on the market. He will garner $20M APY easily.

If that $14-15 million APY was an amount he would have agreed to this spring perhaps he'd be signed already. I suspect his agent wasn't in agreement with that amount. Doubt he gets north of $20 mil regardless, as that benchmark was set early and after Hunter's deal. Hard to make a deal with a player who's agent isn't prepared to agree. None of know where the negotiations are at anyway.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
From BR - ranked 18 among DEs. As a pure football talent, there are few players with as bright of an on-field future as Seahawks defensive end Frank Clark. The 24-year-old 2015 second-round draft pick already has 22 sacks in his NFL career. His short-area quickness allows him to beat tackles to the outside or set up a swift inside counter. Over the last two seasons, only eight edge defenders have recorded nine or more sacks in both 2016 and 2017: Mario Addison, Joey Bosa, Chandler Jones, Ryan Kerrigan, Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Cameron Wake and Clark. Should Cliff Avril not return to football, making Clark a 16-game starter for the first time in his career, expect him to fit right in.

Maybe it’s just my eyes, but he’s not worth what he is going to be asking. I like him, just not for QB money

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":2ejfxz77 said:
From BR - ranked 18 among DEs. As a pure football talent, there are few players with as bright of an on-field future as Seahawks defensive end Frank Clark. The 24-year-old 2015 second-round draft pick already has 22 sacks in his NFL career. His short-area quickness allows him to beat tackles to the outside or set up a swift inside counter. Over the last two seasons, only eight edge defenders have recorded nine or more sacks in both 2016 and 2017: Mario Addison, Joey Bosa, Chandler Jones, Ryan Kerrigan, Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Cameron Wake and Clark. Should Cliff Avril not return to football, making Clark a 16-game starter for the first time in his career, expect him to fit right in.

Maybe it’s just my eyes, but he’s not worth what he is going to be asking. I like him, just not for QB money

So you just broke copy and pasted Bleacher Report's breakdown of Clark putting him in the same category as the best pass rushing DE's in the league, and then tell us you don't see it?

We will pay Clark...........he's worth it, and we don't have a choice.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39ilh70q said:
Hawksfan78":39ilh70q said:

So you just broke copy and pasted Bleacher Report's breakdown of Clark putting him in the same category as the best pass rushing DE's in the league, and then tell us you don't see it?

He is worth what exactly? $20M per year?

Nope, not IMO. Hell yes we need Frank, but I draw the line around $15M or so.

You can't just say "he's worth it" without throwing a number out there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2r37yn2g said:
Sgt. Largent":2r37yn2g said:
Hawksfan78":2r37yn2g said:

You can't arbitrarily say he's only worth 15M, when the market is now 18-20M. That's not how it works in the NFL.

If you draw a line in the sand and demand he take less than the current market, then you lose him because someone else will pay him more.

We messed up, now the market's higher and we'll pay it. Again, because the alternative is let him walk or franchise, which is 19M fully guaranteed.

So no, we don't have a choice. We'd be insane to let a top 5-6 player in the now the 2nd most important position on the field walk over 3-4M a year, with a ton of cap space next year.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour can draw whatever lines he wants. But they're irrelevant to what actually happens with Frank Clark.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ug5bkpd said:
Seymour":1ug5bkpd said:
Sgt. Largent":1ug5bkpd said:
Hawksfan78":1ug5bkpd said:

You can't arbitrarily say he's only worth 15M, when the market is now 18-20M. That's not how it works in the NFL.

If you draw a line in the sand and demand he take less than the current market, then you lose him because someone else will pay him more.

We messed up, now the market's higher and we'll pay it. Again, because the alternative is let him walk or franchise, which is 19M fully guaranteed.

So no, we don't have a choice. We'd be insane to let a top 5-6 player in the now the 2nd most important position on the field walk over 3-4M a year, with a ton of cap space next year.

I sure can and did.

Clark is ranked around a #15 DE which pays around $10M per year and I'm +5M over that! Bennett who we just got rid of makes that, and still is producing at a high level and it can be argued is more versatile.....yet we paid to dump him.

So I absolutely can. And no way in hell is he top 5....not feasting on Cable's low hanging fruit.

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-end/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3c8ddirv said:
I sure can and did.

Clark is ranked around a #15 DE which pays around $10M per year and I'm +5M over that! Bennett who we just got rid of makes that, and still is producing at a high level and it can be argued is more versatile.....yet we paid to dump him.

So I absolutely can. And no way in hell is he top 5....not feasting on Cable's low hanging fruit.

You can pick and choose whatever arbitrary lines in the sand you want to justify your salary range, but we WILL sign Clark for far more than 10-15M per year.

That's just how it works.....Ansah and Lawrence set the market a couple years ago at 17M, now Mack set the market at 20M+, so that's where we're at for Frank.

He probably won't make 23M like Mack, but I betcha it'll be in the 18-20M range.........but don't worry it'll be a nice long contract, probably 4-5 years, so we'll spread it out nicely. That's the luxury of a 2nd contract with a younger player, and not a 3rd contract that burned us with so much guaranteed money at the end.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":siaffh6g said:
Seymour":siaffh6g said:
Sgt. Largent":siaffh6g said:
Hawksfan78":siaffh6g said:

I am more or less resigned to the fact that we will sign him. His age is an asset but I don't think a reasonable person would take him straight up over Mack, Watt, Bosa, Donald, Heyward and 5 or 6 others who in my estimation are far more disruptive play after play. And before you compare stats you have to look how many times the top guys draw double teams and open it up for the rest of the DLine. Earlier you referenced Kalil Macks stat line for a recent game. One game is a single data point. KMack and Aaron Donald water the eyes play after play when you watch them. Frank Clark does not. JS is paid to make the decision and collect the accolades or grief however it turns out.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7d6fch35 said:
Seymour":7d6fch35 said:
I sure can and did.

You can pick and choose whatever arbitrary lines in the sand you want to justify your salary range, but we WILL sign Clark for far more than 10-15M per year.

That's just how it works.....Ansah and Lawrence set the market a couple years ago at 17M, now Mack set the market at 20M+, so that's where we're at for Frank.

He probably won't make 23M like Mack, but I betcha it'll be in the 18-20M range.........but don't worry it'll be a nice long contract, probably 4-5 years, so we'll spread it out nicely. That's the luxury of a 2nd contract with a younger player, and not a 3rd contract that burned us with so much guaranteed money at the end.

That is where YOU are at, not "we".

Comparing Frank to Mack is laughable.....and flat out ridiculous! Sorry, nobody makes that comparison besides you. :177692:

If that is your "proof" then I'm done because that is way way way off base.

PFF puts him at #17, others not even top 20. :roll:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/frank-clark/9496

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1oevtrvf said:
Sgt. Largent":1oevtrvf said:
Seymour":1oevtrvf said:
I sure can and did.

Comparing Frank to Mack is laughable.....and flat out ridiculous! Sorry, nobody makes that comparison besides you. :177692:

We are done, cause you obviously don't understand how the NFL market works Seymour. Is Cousins, Garappolo or Smith worth 28M a year? Cause that's what they're making.

That's just how it is, once a player sets the market, that's where it starts for the next guy, and Clark is the next guy.

It's our fault, we could have gotten him at 15M if we would have gotten him signed during camp after Daniel Hunter signed his new deal. But we didn't, now we're gonna pay the price.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yr74scoh said:
Seymour":yr74scoh said:
Sgt. Largent":yr74scoh said:
Seymour":yr74scoh said:
I sure can and did.

We are done, cause you obviously don't understand how the NFL market works Seymour. Is Cousins, Garappolo or Smith worth 28M a year? Cause that's what they're making.

That's just how it is, once a player sets the market, that's where it starts for the next guy, and Clark is the next guy.

It's our fault, we could have gotten him at 15M if we would have gotten him signed during camp after Daniel Hunter signed his new deal. But we didn't, now we're gonna pay the price.

That is how the LOSING NFL works. Not how NE works though is it? If you want to be a loser, then learn nothing and spend $20M on Clark.

Smith makes #23.5M per year not $28M...better bone up some more.

I understand more than you. I understand that a #15 rated DE is not in the same conversation as a generational type top DE, that is for sure!!

Seymour

Reaction score
And....if you really want to use sacks as the argument. There has been 52 players in the NFL at DE that have had more sacks than Frank Clark in their 1st 3 years. The 2nd number is number of sacks in 1st 3 years.

Even former Seahawk Jeff Bryant had more!
You want to use Bennett / Avril as the reason? Frank wasn't better than either according to Pete and his actions. :177692:

Again, I say keep Frank, but learn something from what we just went through and do not overpay @ $20M :141847_bnono:

Reggie White 1-4 52 198
Dwight Freeney 1-11 40 125
Richard Dent 8-203 37.5 137.5
J.J. Watt 1-11 36.5 Active
Anthony Smith 1-11 36 57.5
Jevon Kearse 1-16 36 74
Robert Quinn 1-14 34.5 Active
Bruce Smith 1-1 33.5 200
Terrell Suggs 1-10 30.5 Active
Mario Williams 1-1 30.5 97.5
Charles Haley 4-96 30 100.5
Ezekiel Ansah 1-5 30 Active