With Paul Allen's passing what will happen to the Hawks?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1r0gzd3v said:
Sgt. Largent":1r0gzd3v said:
toffee":1r0gzd3v said:
My fear is the now unavoidable new ownership will want to put their "own people" in to run the team, that would mean the end of Pete and John.

If it's his sister Jody, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

If she sells? Then maybe it's time to worry, I just hope if it comes to that now or in the future that Allen put safeguards in place that the team has to remain in Seattle.

Too many idiots like the Nordstroms and Schultz put blind trust in outside of the NW owners coming in here telling the truth about how much they love Seattle and would never move the team.

IMO no Seattle owner should EVER sell to another person or group outside the Seattle area.

Behring lied to the Nordstroms, he made the team a laughing stock to move them to LA, I remember when it first happened the question was raised and the Nordstroms said he was committed to Seattle.

L.A Blackhawks was what they were going to be called, after his Real Estate Investment company.

That's my point, that was on them for trusting a used car salesman to keep his word.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9hjkh667 said:
toffee":9hjkh667 said:
My fear is the now unavoidable new ownership will want to put their "own people" in to run the team, that would mean the end of Pete and John.

If she sells? Then maybe it's time to worry, I just hope if it comes to that now or in the future that Allen put safeguards in place that the team has to remain in Seattle.

Too many idiots like the Nordstroms and Schultz put blind trust in outside of the NW owners coming in here telling the truth about how much they love Seattle and would never move the team.

IMO no Seattle owner should EVER sell to another person or group outside the Seattle area.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the lease at CenturyLink make it very hard to move the Seahawks? Teams such as the Rams, and Chargers moved because they were playing in old and run down stadiums that had their leases expiring. CenturyLink field still has a 14 years left on that lease deal.

Anyhow, here is an interesting article in the post that explains what Paul Allens contingencies may be. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/w ... 471a65f8b9

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Worrying times, no one has any idea if Allens sister would be a good owner, if the team will be in a trust like the mariners or be sold on. Looking at the 9ers and Broncos I worry about a family member being an owner since they weren't the ones that have the business nouse that made the original person successful.

Allen was the perfect owner, hands off and deep deep pockets.

I'm just relieved the Clink is state of the art or I imagine we'd be linked with moving to San Diego or St Louis.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2bs5p97u said:
Steve Ballmer would be my ideal choice. He’s the wealthiest owner in all four major American sports with a $38.7 billion net worth. He tried his damndest to keep the Sonics in Seattle and even pushed for relocating the Kings to Seattle before ultimately agreeing to purchase the Clippers and to keep them in L.A. (where they will perpetually play second fiddle to the Lakers). Beyond his wealth and philanthropy, Ballmer is just a great guy and an incredibly passionate sports fan. I couldn’t imagine a more ideal successor to Paul.

But I’m not convinced that Paul’s family will decide to sell. The Seahawks are one of his greatest legacies. If they did decide to sell, I trust they would find someone of great character to carry the mantle of everything Paul stood for and meant for this city.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!

irocdave

Reaction score
Man it was a gut punch to hear that Paul Allen passed. I get this is a seahawks forum, but as a born and raised old fart from Kirkland and working in the construction industry, I have seen, worked on and worked along side people that Paul Allen employed for the benefit of mankind. Paul made a point of doing this in Seattle, his home town.

My dad called me yesterday when the news broke, I didn't have time to take the call but listened to his VM on the way home. He was almost in tears. My dad has lived in Kirkland since 1965 and never gets emotional other than pissed off, he was genuinely upset about Paul's passing.

I take the high road, and say he should be honored for the pillar of community he was in Seattle and the surrounding communities and we should all be proud to say he was one of ours.

That being said, it will not be in the teams best interest if Jodi takes it over. You can use google to find out more about her, she is not Paul Allen and the team would be in better off in hands not of hers.

Vulcan Real estate Development is the real concern for me and my occupation.

I would love to see the Nordstroms or McCaw family by the team. Balmer would be great as well, but the old school money in this town taking ownership would be a seamless transition.

GLio14

Reaction score
I think that Jody is going to take on the Hawks. She has three children and could potentially keep the team within the family.

sdog1981

Reaction score
GLio14":5s87zt2s said:
I think that Jody is going to take on the Hawks. She has three children and could potentially keep the team within the family.

With what money?

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1nxz9gtx said:
Sgt. Largent":1nxz9gtx said:
toffee":1nxz9gtx said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the lease at CenturyLink make it very hard to move the Seahawks? Teams such as the Rams, and Chargers moved because they were playing in old and run down stadiums that had their leases expiring. CenturyLink field still has a 14 years left on that lease deal.

Anyhow, here is an interesting article in the post that explains what Paul Allens contingencies may be. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/w ... 471a65f8b9

Didn't stop other owners, they say sue me and then drag it out. Look at the Sonics, at all costs and a loop hole to move them. You need a politicians that go for blood also, I hated Christine Gregoire, but she was one person you didn't piss off and Behring pissed her off big time, she used every string to get things done.

seabowl

Reaction score
irocdave":3lqdozed said:
What if....Phil Knight stepped up?

Yeah then we could sign Kapernick

:pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":r6etn583 said:
Sgt. Largent":r6etn583 said:
toffee":r6etn583 said:

It does, as do most sports lease building agreements.........and since Allen and First and Ten actually have a commercial interest/ownership in Century Link, why would the new owner ever want to go elsewhere?

To me this is a non starter, the Hawks aren't going anywhere. It makes zero sense from the team side, and it makes zero sense from the league side. The league would never vote for the Hawks to go elsewhere and leave the #14 TV and giant geographical market in the country.

NINEster

Reaction score
xray":137tx3sl said:
Bill Gates would make sense to buy the Hawks. A buyout by a group would be a disaster . Too many cooks spoil the broth.

The NFL doesn't like group buy outs.

They prefer families or a single individual who has all the capital.

mrt144

Reaction score
NINEster":3p9sz8b5 said:
xray":3p9sz8b5 said:
Bill Gates would make sense to buy the Hawks. A buyout by a group would be a disaster . Too many cooks spoil the broth.

The NFL doesn't like group buy outs.

They prefer families or a single individual who has all the capital.

Worship at the altar of the new monarchs.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
It was reported that a contingent of buying the Hawks should he ever pass was that they or no other owner that ever had the team could move them so that part is a done deal and off of the table for now
Beyond that It would be anybody's guess but mine is Jody inherits some financial ability from Paul and continues to let Vulcan operate the team which in the end would probably make Paul the happiest in the long run looking down from above

:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

hawxfreak

Reaction score
It was reported that a contingent of buying the Hawks should he ever pass was that they or no other owner that ever had the team could move them so that part is a done deal and off of the table for now
Beyond that It would be anybody's guess but mine is Jody inherits some financial ability from Paul and continues to let Vulcan operate the team which in the end would probably make Paul the happiest in the long run looking down from above

:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

rjdriver

Reaction score
I can't even begin to imagine the estate tax implications of this death. It's possible that many assets will need be liquidated purely to meet tax requirements. I have no doubt that state, local, and federal tax representatives will be descending down on Seattle like rabid wolves.

(I'm not a tax attorney, just thinking aloud)