Are Pete and John on the Hot Seat?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":2f4418mo said:
I wonder what Paul Allen is thinking right now?

Well, if he's watching the same games we are he's seeing a head coach that has lost his fastball and ability to instill the toughness and edge necessary to win.

Cause that's what I see, Pete looks lost out there, and the schizophrenic way he's managing the roster and meddling with the playcalling is costing us games.

- overrides Schottenheimer and tells him to take shots instead of sticking to a run game that's working
- inexplicably pulls Carson out, and then gives us some BS answer about being gassed?
- Calls TWO unnecessary timeouts, which we desperately needed at the end of the game

I see a coach who had the pulse on the college game, and used that to gain a short term advantage in not only his style of coaching that worked with young players, but also in drafting and acquiring talent early on in his tenure.

That's all gone, all of it.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3f4bw30h said:
Fade":3f4bw30h said:

Well, if he's watching the same games we are he's seeing a head coach that has lost his fastball and ability to instill the toughness and edge necessary to win.

Cause that's what I see, Pete looks lost out there, and the schizophrenic way he's managing the roster and meddling with the playcalling is costing us games.

- overrides Schottenheimer and tells him to take shots instead of sticking to a run game that's working
- inexplicably pulls Carson out, and then gives us some BS answer about being gassed?
- Calls TWO unnecessary timeouts, which we desperately needed at the end of the game

I see a coach who had the pulse on the college game, and used that to gain a short term advantage in not only his style of coaching that worked with young players, but also in drafting and acquiring talent early on in his tenure.

Good post. Sums it up. It's also hard to comprehend why Pete has seemingly abandoned his 2 primary trademarks: "run first" and "always compete." Neither exists anymore.

It's also difficult to discern what direction exactly Pete wants to take this team. Nothing lately makes much sense in our ship other than our rudder is swinging everywhere and our old man captain is full throttle into a dense fog.

mrt144

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2ty4in5o said:
Sgt. Largent":2ty4in5o said:
Fade":2ty4in5o said:

Good post. Sums it up. It's also hard to comprehend why Pete has seemingly abandoned his 2 primary trademarks: "run first" and "always compete." Neither exists anymore.

It's also difficult to discern what direction exactly Pete wants to take this team. Nothing lately makes much sense in our ship other than our rudder is swinging everywhere and our old man captain is full throttle into a dense fog.

I've used rudderless in regards to the Seahawks like 10 times today in conversation with coworkers.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2f68cfyq said:
Attyla the Hawk":2f68cfyq said:
This team cratered in it's first two games -- probably 2 of the 6 easiest matchups of the year on paper.

I think I'd beg to differ there. Denver's defense wasn't being slept on by anyone who knows who Von Miller is. The Bears defense was talented but green - and then they got Mack. The strengths of those two teams matched up perfectly with our weakness (QB/OL/OC unwilling to change). Combine that with playing away from home, consider that we did not lose horribly, and those weren't blowouts. Just frustrating.

I can see that. Although I was considering the teams as a whole on both sides. Offensively, they were not powerhouses which helped our defense stay in it.

I figured it would be in terms of easiest to hardest:

Cards, Lions, Bears, Raiders, Broncos, Niners, Cowboys, Panthers, Chargers, Packers, Chiefs, Vikes, Rams in that order.

So yeah, I figured 2 of the six easiest matchups. Mostly due to questionable offenses. I can allow for difference of opinion. I could see the case that Denver could have been considered a competitive game. I'm unsure at this point what to make of that effort. It's good kind of. But then again it's against one of the lower bar teams on the schedule. It's hard for me to grant a symbolic victory in that case. Last night's game didn't feel that way at all. Felt very much like the way Seattle used to win games (score is close, but you knew deep down the better team was winning).

Feels like we needed to at least split these first two in order to have a chance at 8 wins.

Dallas' defense has been good this season too. 3rd in points, 4th in yards, 5th passing yards, 12th rushing yards. It's a tough matchup this week too. Although offensively, Dallas has been significantly worse than us. Our worst defensive ranking is defending the run. I hear Dallas is good at that.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
GeekHawk":def0doj0 said:
Anybody - and I mean ANYBODY - who thinks that Pete and John are on some sort of 'hot seat' is showing their absolute ignorance of how Paul Allen works.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:pukeface:

canucklehead

Reaction score
I admire Pete a lot and enjoyed his era greatly but if they win 4 or 5 games this year (which I think is probable) then Paul Allen is looking at a 68 yr old coach going into his final contract yr and facing a re-build.
It might not be Allen's style but circumstances may dictate that its time to kick open the next 10 yr window.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Worth revisiting one month later.

I felt this year would be a referendum year of sorts on Pete. That he'd get the credit or blame.

Thus far, I think he's getting full credit.

Upcoming results aside, I also felt like we needed to find ourselves. To establish our core guys going forward and to also find out blueprint for winning.

Thus far I'd say we've done both. Regardless if we start to slide record wise as we meet tougher opposition. It feels undeniable that we've found our path going forward. And that we're remaking our team in the image of new talents. It doesn't feel like we're left ruminating about the loss of great players past. I'm much more bullish on us 6 games into the season despite a middling record. We may still only win 7-8 games this season. But it feels like we've made the critical strides necessary to turn the page and sustain future success.

My goal for the season was to see the vision of how we're going to win in this league. I see it now manifest in games. Not just in weekly press conference coach speak. To me that's sustainable and predictive of future success. And more, it also sharpens the decision paths of talents we're going to add to this team going forward. I would expect far fewer ill fitting talents to be added to this team. The path we're going to take is we're going to slobberknock the 'run game doesn't matter' crowd and do it violently.

Thank God.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They are probably on the hot seat more so now than before with the passing of Paul Allen. Fans seem to be feeling pretty good after the Hawks played their Super Bowl for the season and barely lost to the Rams and then beat up on probably the worst team in the league in the Raiders to pull to .500 record, but i'm not sold yet. Team does seem to have responded in the Oline, run game which is great, but I want to see how we do against some upcoming teams like the Chargers, Packers, and Panthers. Anyways, i'm not sure how the ownership aspect of the team is going to turn out but is anybody going to be interested in resigning a 70 year old with a team hovering around mediocrity?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":becsut8n said:
They are probably on the hot seat more so now than before with the passing of Paul Allen. Fans seem to be feeling pretty good after the Hawks played their Super Bowl for the season and barely lost to the Rams and then beat up on probably the worst team in the league in the Raiders to pull to .500 record, but i'm not sold yet. Team does seem to have responded in the Oline, run game which is great, but I want to see how we do against some upcoming teams like the Chargers, Packers, and Panthers. Anyways, i'm not sure how the ownership aspect of the team is going to turn out but is anybody going to be interested in resigning a 70 year old with a team hovering around mediocrity?

I think this is a year, much like 2011 where Pete needs to demonstrate that the direction of the ball club is ascending. 2010 was a tear down, 2011 was get a core group started, 2012 was clear ascension to contender and 2013 was dominance.
If Pete shows that we are recapitulating this path again, then he should absolutely be kept on. The returns are looking really good right now with OL, secondary exceeding expectations. DL coming around and one stud away from being a force. LB's will need depth. WR's need another stud. RB corps is solid as a rock. But getting closer.

The thing I love about Pete is that his teams never quit or lay down. Just look at the Raiders effort. They laid down and it was painfully obvious. I saw that last year against the Rams and never want to see it again. Pete saw it too and that's why Cable, Bevell, Sherman, Bennett, Lacy are gone. He knew a shakeup was needed as did we all.

Well they are back to playing Seahawks football Pete style. Run the ball, get chunk plays off play action, stop the run, limit the passing attack and win the turnover battle. That's Pete ball and when we accomplish those things, we win. When we can't run or hit on play action or we can't stop the run or limit the passing attack, we lose.

Atradees

Reaction score
They look like geniuses after the clean and quick rebuild. We will revisit this after the playoffs.

nrayorr

Reaction score
No, they have at least a couple more years left if productive.

Fade

Reaction score
The hotseat, fire, keep, extension talk has to be shelved at this point. Paul's death has shifted the process entirely. The eventual new owner will decide what direction they will want to take it.

If I were the new owner from the outside just coming in, I would sign Pete to a short term extension, so I could properly evaluate football operations entirely, and then make the necessary changes as necessary.

This discussion for me is now over until the new owner is declared.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seeing the recovery so far and success unless we get a Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder God forbid a new owner should not be interested in messing with success if they are smart. If they are egotistical and want to play GM as Behring did then we will be a laughing stock within 2 years.

I Hope Pauls sister keeps us, Team was listed as worth just over 2.35 billion last I read, hopefully Paul gave her a substantial inheritance so she can keep things moving and not look for a cash out for her own means.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Realize that out of the thousands of people that read this site every day only a handful of you are posting and overreacting cuz Pete and John have never been on the hot seat
Think about teams like the browns and over reaction is one reason coaching staffs never have enough time to vacate and rebuild rosters to coach a team up with the style they want to gain a winning attitude is what it really takes and that takes YEARS so in NO way are or ever were Pete and John on THE HOT Seat
It's all just in your pretty little heads and use the word pretty in which ever form of the vernacular you'd like
I am and will always be a Seahawk fan no matter what way or which ever way the team decides to go , been that way since "76 when I was 10yrs. old so I know nothing else my friends
Go Hawks

:irishdrinkers: :vodka: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :vodka: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

P.S. , I like a little vodka once in a while

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Realize that out of the thousands of people that read this site every day only a handful of you are posting and overreacting cuz Pete and John have never been on the hot seat
Think about teams like the browns and over reaction is one reason coaching staffs never have enough time to vacate and rebuild rosters to coach a team up with the style they want to gain a winning attitude is what it really takes and that takes YEARS so in NO way are or ever were Pete and John on THE HOT Seat
It's all just in your pretty little heads and use the word pretty in which ever form of the vernacular you'd like
I am and will always be a Seahawk fan no matter what way or which ever way the team decides to go , been that way since "76 when I was 10yrs. old so I know nothing else my friends
Go Hawks

:irishdrinkers: :vodka: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :vodka: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

P.S. , I like a little vodka once in a while

themunn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mxrt29i said:
mrt144":2mxrt29i said:
getnasty":2mxrt29i said:
One non double digit win total because of a kicker and there on the hot seat.

I will say that hiring the guy who totally borked it against them was not...something that instills confidence in me.

Also, a kicker that THEY chose to sign to save cap space over giving an extension to one of the most dependable kickers in the league in Hauschka.

So sorry, the fact that the kicker they hired sucked and lost 2-3 games for us because they mismanaged the cap by giving extensions to other players who didn't perform up to those contracts doesn't absolve Pete or John.........in fact that's a indictment that they made the wrong decision.

Guess you forgot Haushka missing field goals against Arizona both home and on the road that would have been the difference between a win (instead of tie) or going to overtime (instead of losing), costing us the 2nd seed and ultimately a home game against Atlanta instead of road game the previous year?

Moving on from Hauschka was needed at the time. Blair Walsh wasn't the answer though.

Vesuve

Reaction score
HawkGA":3266w99e said:
They are not on the hot seat in any way, shape, or form.

Agreed.

I don't understand why some think this the case.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
This thread is hilarious if you read it from the beginning. Some fans are tied too closely to the daily saga of the team. Win and everything is great, sign em to an extension. Lose and the team is in a free fall for the overall number one pick. Those sentiments are by the same people depending on the date of the post and if the team won or lost that week. Pete has had two losing seasons in Seattle. Both of those were 7-9 seasons. One of them resulted in an NFC West championship and a playoff win. His Seahawks almost always play better at the end of the season when it’s the most important than they do at the beginning of the season. Big picture people. Pete Carroll is the best coach this team has ever had and has presided over the most successful era in the teams history.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2g1o0flg said:
This thread is hilarious if you read it from the beginning. Some fans are tied too closely to the daily saga of the team. Win and everything is great, sign em to an extension. Lose and the team is in a free fall for the overall number one pick. Those sentiments are by the same people depending on the date of the post and if the team won or lost that week. Pete has had two losing seasons in Seattle. Both of those were 7-9 seasons. One of them resulted in an NFC West championship and a playoff win. His Seahawks almost always play better at the end of the season when it’s the most important than they do at the beginning of the season. Big picture people. Pete Carroll is the best coach this team has ever had and has presided over the most successful era in the teams history.

very true.

Most on here have already made up their mind on this subject. So, they will extrapolate the present to fit their future narrative, and dismiss whatever is currently happening (beating the "worst team"... player revolts and interviews from former players regarding the past) in an effort to support that same narrative.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, and involves everything that's being posted here. Using one side and dismissing the other is equally unfortunate.

Im personally hesitantly excited. Moreso, I'm very interested in the team right now, and I was expecting not to be.