Solid break down on the differences between Solari and Cable

knownone

Reaction score
Cable was obviously bad in his last few seasons with Seattle but I think the turn around has more to do with talent and health than coaching. Cable didn't have a healthy Britt or Brown for the majority of last season and he did not have Fluker or Sweezy. I'm not saying Solari's system isn't a large part of the turnaround, I'm just saying we can't place all of the blame on Cable when the only healthy starter from last year is Ifedi.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
It must be me.
The team's trend line is definitely heading up. Lots of deserved optimism.
I see so much negativity here. I must be a puss, eh?
There is much more negative focus in this thread than than positive.
Weird observation, I know.

For me, I see Solari as a great hire. I don't want to dwell on the neg, even though it looks like it is repaired.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":1atspsrb said:
chris98251":1atspsrb said:
scutterhawk":1atspsrb said:
StoneCold":1atspsrb said:
I think Marshawn hid just how ugly bad Cable was. They were never that great at pass blocking, but once Marshawn was out of the picture it went to total shyte. No running game and nothing but playground scrambles by Russ.

Not totally true guys; Yes Marshawn Lynch helped to optimize Cables Blocking scheme to the max, (if I'm mistaken, please explain to me why Marshawn Lynch WASN'T "Beasting It Out" while playing for the Buffalo Bills
In 2014, Cables Cut-blocking method came under the knife, by the NFL.
In Lynch's first 3 seasons, Cable's Blocking System was golden, and in fact, WITH Cable's Blocking System, both Lynch & Wilson (with his over 600 rushing yards) were lethal.....To The Tune Of Going To Two Consecutive Super Bowls WHILE PLAYING UNDER CABLE & BEVELL.
Cable was unable to make the necessary adjustments + letting Unger go, along with a couple others who did much better playing elsewhere proved that.
"Marshawn was OUT Of The Picture" in ALL of 2015....and in that Year, Russell Wilson & Doug Baldwin LIT IT UP!...Certainly didn't look like "Total Shyte" to me.
Solari has our Running Game shining pretty good now, Kind of amazing how much better RW seems to be playing with his new O-Line Coach & Coordinator, eh?

Just imagine Lynch behind the line we have now in his prime.

Lynch didn't have it so bad. He had a top 10 run blocking line a couple years, just polar opposite in pass blocking. Also Lynch was aided heavily by the Wilson threat to run and Russ's run production.

LOL yes he did he was hit in the backfield more then any other back and his yards after first contact were the best I think a couple years running. Cables rankings were based on a Elite back that refused to go down.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Not that the change to Solari isn't a primary factor, but I suspect narrowing down the play caller to one person (the OC) also helped. Breaking the offense call duties btwn the OL coach, the OC, and the head coach sounds like a mess.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
2nd best decision in years was getting rid of Cable. The first? Firing Bevell! :2thumbs:

edogg23

Reaction score
All you have to do is look at Oaklands offensive line this year. Wonder if it will take Gruden as long to figure out Cable is a bum?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ol' Doug Farrar with a great analysis. For the newer members of this community, Doug was a resident content creator and poster for several years in previous incarnations of .NET.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
chris98251":3ddinjai said:
Seymour":3ddinjai said:
chris98251":3ddinjai said:
scutterhawk":3ddinjai said:
Not totally true guys; Yes Marshawn Lynch helped to optimize Cables Blocking scheme to the max, (if I'm mistaken, please explain to me why Marshawn Lynch WASN'T "Beasting It Out" while playing for the Buffalo Bills
In 2014, Cables Cut-blocking method came under the knife, by the NFL.
In Lynch's first 3 seasons, Cable's Blocking System was golden, and in fact, WITH Cable's Blocking System, both Lynch & Wilson (with his over 600 rushing yards) were lethal.....To The Tune Of Going To Two Consecutive Super Bowls WHILE PLAYING UNDER CABLE & BEVELL.
Cable was unable to make the necessary adjustments + letting Unger go, along with a couple others who did much better playing elsewhere proved that.
"Marshawn was OUT Of The Picture" in ALL of 2015....and in that Year, Russell Wilson & Doug Baldwin LIT IT UP!...Certainly didn't look like "Total Shyte" to me.
Solari has our Running Game shining pretty good now, Kind of amazing how much better RW seems to be playing with his new O-Line Coach & Coordinator, eh?

Just imagine Lynch behind the line we have now in his prime.

Lynch didn't have it so bad. He had a top 10 run blocking line a couple years, just polar opposite in pass blocking. Also Lynch was aided heavily by the Wilson threat to run and Russ's run production.

LOL yes he did he was hit in the backfield more then any other back and his yards after first contact were the best I think a couple years running. Cables rankings were based on a Elite back that refused to go down.

Not to mention a read option system defenses hadn't figured out and an agile QB to run it. Lynch and Russell made up for a ton of issues on the OL from 2012-2014.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lobohawk":3niq9ww0 said:
Not that the change to Solari isn't a primary factor, but I suspect narrowing down the play caller to one person (the OC) also helped. Breaking the offense call duties btwn the OL coach, the OC, and the head coach sounds like a mess.
That's because it WAS a mess.
Pete being a Defensive minded Coach, depended too much on One Man, to take over the duties of getting the Nasty Offensive Base (BLOCKING) up & running, and for the first few seasons, everything seemed to be going just fine, Marshawn Lynch was the perfect RB candidate to carry the ball under Cable's "Pound The Rock" system, as he was able to build up a head of steam before first contact and all was working good -UNTIL- the League started outlawing Cable's cut blocking scheme.
One of the biggest PROBLEMS with Cable was, he was given too many hats to wear, hell, we even canned our RB coach a couple Years back, and added that job to Cable's plate....It became painfully obvious that he was in way over his head.
Darryl Bevell was suppose to coordinate Tom Cable's dysfunctional O-Line with a crap Run game, & piss poor Pass Protection for Russell Wilson.....Yeah, right.

olyfan63

Reaction score
bigskydoc":mxv39psq said:
I'm sure that I am in the minority, but I wouldn't have minded keeping Darrel the Devil Bevel for a year under Solari. It would have been interesting to see what he did with a half-competent line, and control of the running game.

Bevell needed to go after tossing Ricardo Lockette under the bus after SB49.
Bevell drew up a crap play for the situation, the worst happens, and then Bevell blamed Lockette for Bevell's utter failure in scheme, horrible situational awareness of mismatches, and high-risk play call.

It was the blaming, not the result, and then Bevell not being punished or ever apologizing for blaming Lockette for Bevell's own failure. If Bevell didn't take responsibility for the utter fiasco, how can we ever believe he would learn from it.?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I’m sad we got rid of Solari the first time. Imagine what this team would have looked with Solari coaching the o-line during the whole Carroll regime?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":5ngqf62m said:
I’m sad we got rid of Solari the first time. Imagine what this team would have looked with Solari coaching the o-line during the whole Carroll regime?

Yea, I absolutely agree SD, Pete was enamored with the way Tom Cable imposed his will on teams using his shitty Cut-Blocking scheme, right up until the League put a stop to it...Somehow Pete thought Tommy was the Offensive YIN to his Defensive YANG.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2xq3dqgs said:
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/10/17/seahawks-offensive-line-turnaround-proves-the-value-of-actual-coaching/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Yes, solid.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think unless you have a genius at OC. It’s good to have some turnover on offense from time to time.

The scheme was stale.

ivotuk

Reaction score
toffee":2scln71p said:
Coaching by Solari obviously contributed to our current success, but there are other factors too:

1. A healthy Brown.
2. Brown's mentoring of Ifedi.
3. Development of Ifedi and Britt.
4. Addition of two veterans in Fluker and Sweezy.
5. of late, Fant played some Blocking TE. We essentially had 6 linemen for maximum potential.

Only Britt and Ifedi played the whole '17 season, Brown only half and mostly injured. We had Pocic and Joeckel as our guards last season. In short, 40% of our '18 OL are new ie guards, of the remaining 60%, Ifedi has improved and Brown's healthy. Personnel wise, we got lucky, Solari recommended Fluker, then somehow

Sweezy became available ....... he was passed over by none other than Cable lol.

I did expect our OL to improve this season, but top of the league in pass blocking? this is Xmas in Octorber.

Excellent point! :2thumbs:

Latest posts