With Paul Allen's passing what will happen to the Hawks?

chris98251

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":3ozuk32x said:
No one mentioned clay Bennett yet.

I referenced it indirectly here, but you would have had to read the first page.

One person I absolutely do not want to own us is Howard Schultz, all I can think about is the Oklahoma Gunslingers in 3 years. Steve Ballmer would not be a bad thought if he is a fan, would be much like Paul owning a NBA team and the Seahawks, he may not be as hands off as Paul was however.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As Sgt spoke on earlier in the thread, my concern is not if the Seahawks will be sold to a new owner who will move the team. There's too many reasons to list why that is not going to happen. The concern of course is what will the franchise look like under a new owner? We were spoiled rotten with Paul Allen as our beloved owner. Anyone - regardless of who they are - will fall short of his shoes.

We just hope he/she or they will do their very best to continue the tradition Paul built.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
In a secret codicil yet to be revealed Allen willed the Seahawks to Russell Wilson. Wilson becomes the first black majority owner in the NFL. The locker room, the office, and the league, are split on whether or not he is black enough. They all agree he is too short to be a majority NFL owner though.

xray

Reaction score
It's common gossip that his sister has said long before he died she was not interested in the job. My intuition tells me that that Paul Allen made arrangements for his sports team investments.....DUH....but remember a new broom sweeps clean when and not if the Seahawks...sell...Does anybody know ; is any foreign country eligible to buy a NFL team ? Anybody know ? Let us know.

chris98251

Reaction score
xray":2wcvzuf0 said:
It's common gossip that his sister has said long before he died she was not interested in the job. My intuition tells me that that Paul Allen made arrangements for his sports team investments.....DUH....but remember a new broom sweeps clean when and not if the Seahawks...sell...Does anybody know ; is any foreign country eligible to buy a NFL team ? Anybody know ? Let us know.

I don't think it has been broached before, however with the way New owners want to move a team the NFL would be stupid to allow a foreign person to buy a NFL team and possibly create a hostage situation of a team.

It was bad enough with Behring, can you imagine a team loaded up to go to China or Moscow? Extreme example but possible.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I just hope the Seahawks don't get sold to a group of investors that only care about consistent profit, whether the team wins or loses (Mariners style).

bigcc

Reaction score
minormillikin":1269a4rd said:
I just hope the Seahawks don't get sold to a group of investors that only care about consistent profit, whether the team wins or loses (Mariners style).

This is by far the largest, and most realistic problem we're facing... We need an owner that wants to win more than safely maximize profits.

toffee

Reaction score
Love Paul, best owner!! Looking forward, all kind of news:

Jody keeps it:
Report: Paul Allen's sister, Jody, may look to retain Seahawks
https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... 123391376/
Allen is survived by his sister, Jody. A Vulcan source told me shortly after the announcement of Allen's death: "Jody does not enjoy the Trail Blazers." She's a Seahawks fan and is a good bet to emerge as a more visible presence in his NFL organization. Nobody who knows her thinks she'd be interested in wanting to run an NBA franchise on a daily basis.
Not quite sure why Jody needs to look to retain Hawks since Vulcan already owns it outright and now she owns and runs Vulcan? Jody was but isn't the CEO of Vulcan, does she has Vulcan's controlling shares?

Jody unsure:
Future of Paul Allen’s sports holdings remains unclear
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... 9fb76dfb8e

Jody sells it:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/18/seatt ... ry-ellison
Allen never married and had no children. His younger sister, Jody Allen, reportedly does not have interest in running either the Seahawks or the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers, both owned by her brother, but she has not shared her wishes publicly. If the Seahawks are put up for sale, criteria No. 1 for potential buyers is having the requisite funds, which given the Panthers’ $2.3 billion price tag earlier this year, includes a small pool of individuals. A new controlling owner would have to hold at least 30 percent of the club’s equity. A second criteria may be identifying a buyer who would want to keep the team in Seattle.

So basically all speculations. Paul has an estate of 26 billions, Hawks has a market value about $2.3 or so billions. So Hawks amounts to 10% of Paul's total estate. Paul has do kids, but Jody has two sons in their 20s, oldest son 29 yo, may be the young man would like to own and run the Hawks? A bit about Jody our most likely new owner:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jody_Allen

She likes art and was a producer of movies:
http://www.vulcanproductions.com/ajax/p ... lor=orange
serving as president of Vulcan Productions, which produces documentaries of enduring significance and independent feature films. Ms. Allen co-produced the PBS series Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues, as well as the independent feature films, Far from Heaven and Hard Candy.

She was CEO of Vulcan:
took a sabbatical in 2014 but never returned.
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blo ... versy.html
The move comes amid controversy.The Seattle Times reported that Vulcan has faced controversy, and saw some high-level employees leave. Some of Paul and Jody Allen's former bodyguards sued amid reports that Jody Allen sexually harassed security officers.

In a Business Journal profile this spring Allen, was described as "a big thinker" and "a risk taker." She talked about Vulcan undertaking the first-of-its-kind elephant census in sub-Saharan Africa and other initiatives she is working on, including the education of girls and climate change.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Steve Ballmer would be my first choice, but I have no idea if he has any interest at all in the NFL. He would be on a lesser status of hero than Paul was, but a hero nonetheless... He's originally from Detroit, but he's a Seattle guy now. If not him, I think it would be cool if Gates or Bezos took the savior role. Deep pockets, and would probably have little interest in sticking their nose where it doesn't belong... Like operating an NFL team. Just hire good people, and get the hell out of the way... Like Paul. Gates would be the coolest story. Like doing his buddy a solid and furthering his legacy... Sigh. I can dream anyways.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I heard that the new owner will be randomly drawn from people on the season ticket waiting list.

Where did I hear this? Right here in my living room, when I said it out loud after completely making it up.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
sdog1981":2fz08gru said:
GLio14":2fz08gru said:
I think that Jody is going to take on the Hawks. She has three children and could potentially keep the team within the family.

With what money?

The 20+ billion dollars that she most likely inherits from her brothers estate?

BlueThunder

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3v36gyw2 said:
sdog1981":3v36gyw2 said:
GLio14":3v36gyw2 said:
I think that Jody is going to take on the Hawks. She has three children and could potentially keep the team within the family.

With what money?

The 20+ billion dollars that she most likely inherits from her brothers estate?

Well, we'll see how much she actually comes away with after the smoke clears... And the lawyers are done doing what they do. I have a feeling Paul had this all laid out pretty well in advance after going through this disease a time or two.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Hawker8989":2a8tjqei said:
Any chance the Seahawks relocate?

Chance? Yeah.

Likely? No.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Paul Allen was a great owner. He was efficient, demanding (but not in a Jerry Jones me-me-me kind of way) patient, and ultimately and perhaps most importantly, devoted to the Seattle community.

I'm still ticked about the Sonics being sold and shipped.

That happening to the Seahawks?

Nooooooo

We have that stadium linked directly to the Hawks, though. That'll help keep them here. It's a profitable enterprise with a devoted fan base. This is where they will always belong.

GO HAWKS!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Steve Ballmer would be my #1 hope for a new owner.

Please no Jeff Bezos. Let him keep his attention on the Washington ComPost.
No Howard Shultz. We've been down that road and once a traitor, always a traitor.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I doubt Jody Allen sells the Seahawks no reason to it's a cash cow. The Trailblazers are a different matter I could see her selling them . That's if she's in a position to do so.