ET III interesting twist.

Atradees

Reaction score
LymonHawk":333wi8fe said:
Part of this just may be Gruden wanting to re-make the roster.....so it becomes more of 'his' team? Just sayin' :mrgreen:

Gruden has five number ones in the next two years. Gotta love it.

ET would've been better for the Boys no doubt. Personally, I think the QB makes the receiver.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Atradees":1hp1cmzj said:
LymonHawk":1hp1cmzj said:
Part of this just may be Gruden wanting to re-make the roster.....so it becomes more of 'his' team? Just sayin' :mrgreen:

Gruden has five number ones in the next two years. Gotta love it.

ET would've been better for the Boys no doubt. Personally, I think the QB makes the receiver.

They do some of the time. Guys like Brees, Brady, and Rodgers definitely make their receivers better. I don't believe Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer made Larry Fitzgerald. Or Jake Delhomme, Cam Newton, or Joe Flacco made Steve Smith. Don't believe any of the revolving Browns QB made Josh Gordon. Julio Jones would have been great even if he didn't have Matt Ryan throwing to him. Imagine Matt Ryan without Jones or Roddy White, he wouldn't be as good. Same for Andy Dalton without AJ Green.

xray

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is gone ....like Sherman didn't play yesterday.....let it go...they are old slow and injury prone ...just like us

justafan

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1ajix1nc said:
Mad Dog":1ajix1nc said:
Jerry Jones is like most pundits that believe offense is the key to today's NFL and that bolstering a defense is foolish. So WR's are overvalued over defensive players in general.

But come winter and playoff time, you'll see a good number of top defensive teams in the hunt and several offensive teams suddenly fall by the wayside. Happens every year seemingly.

43-8
Kind of like that time that we traded away our first and third round pick for a wide receiver that we never used, or that time we traded a first, and our best offensive lineman for a tight end that we didn't use properly. Or what about that time before that where we tried to trade for Brandon Marshall. Any of those moves seem to ring any bells?

We can criticize the Cowboys all we want, but the Seahawks have made similar moves that have ended in epic disasters.

Actually its night and day.We were competing for SBs where one player might make a difference.I wouldnt call them epic disasters. We did win a SB and Harvin had a kick return for a TD. We had a window and the front office made gambles to make a run. Cowboys have no shot at anything and Cooper isnt a game changer.He is a second rate WR.

toffee

Reaction score
Jerruh is hurting our Earl's feeling with this move. Earl is 10 times the player Cooper will ever be, and Earl can help the Girls where they needed help.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Earl's been injured 3 times in 3 years IIRC
That makes a diff too and will also be available next year and said publicly that's where he wants to go , not that Jerruh is a patient man but it adds to it

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Earl's been injured 3 times in 3 years IIRC
That makes a diff too and will also be available next year and said publicly that's where he wants to go , not that Jerruh is a patient man but it adds to it

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t been back for a minute.

My hope was that we would discuss ET and what his value to the Cowboys was at the time the trade was a possibility.

I guess maybe the Cowboys needs have shifted but I found it interesting that they would give up a 1st for AC but not a 2nd for ET III.

can’t speak for Earl but this move sure seems like a slap in the face. I’d love the hear his thoughts.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
pmedic920":3dcnyp8c said:

My hope was that we would discuss ET and what his value to the Cowboys was at the time the trade was a possibility.

I guess maybe the Cowboys needs have shifted but I found it interesting that they would give up a 1st for AC but not a 2nd for ET III.

can’t speak for Earl but this move sure seems like a slap in the face. I’d love the hear his thoughts.
Don't see it as being a slap in the face. If we look at this objectively then we would see that safeties are not being valued in the NFL for whatever reason. With Earl we also have the issue of his age, and recent injury history. As another poster said, he had been injured two times in the last two seasons before this injury, and now he's 3 for 3. We're also in a climate where good wide receivers were scarce in the offseason. Not many were around this year. I think even mediocre talent was taken all too high in the NFL draft at that position.

Now, as for Amari Cooper. He's had great success in the past, and he is only 24. You're gambling on him rekindling that fire and capturing his former glory. That could happen, or it could be another Joey Galloway situation for the Cowboys. Personally, I think that both Thomas, and Cooper are bad decisions for a team like a Cowboys.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":18fl378a said:
Foolish yes, but not as foolish as our GM trading a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder for an injury-prone Percy Harvin and giving him a 67 million dollar contract. Weird how NFL GMs fall in love with wide receivers from other teams.

You think it was JS?

That move has “Big Balls Pete” written all over it. Now I’d be totally with you though on Graham another rather myopic trade. Both trades hurt the team on many levels and in part created part of the cap nightmare they had to work through while yielding no draft fresh talent. It provided two expensive players who, while both had terrific ability properly used,never fit the team or were not used here to their best ability’s.

Those two trades hurt the team significantly, arguably cost Tate, two lost first round and other draft picks, Ungrer, and OLine woes, and created or contributed to an odd entitlement dynamic in a locker room that was suffering from ego issues.

chrispy

Reaction score
JJones has the benefit of looking at more information than just W/L column, like us. I'm sure he's looking at ticket sales, apparel sales, advertising revenue, sponsorship income.... It's early in the season and they're not living up to even the lowest pre-season expectations. Jerry needed something to stop the cash-flow leak. A first round pick for a good/not great WR is crazy. A first round pick that allows the sales staff enthusiasm and a new starting point to approach big spenders and also lands a good/not great WR is probably a good immediate investment. (... the difference in Jones and Allen.) Also easily explains why Cooper is worth more to them than Thomas. A new Safety isn't going to have the same sales impact as a Big WR that can stand next to Dak and Zeke in welcoming press conference. They're going to try to sell it as the second coming of Aikman/Irvin/Smith.

toffee

Reaction score
pmedic920":3k77z4eq said:

This!!!

“A 1st for AC, but not a 2nd for ET III, that got to hurt.” Really couldn’t say it any better. Earl is ten time the football player AC will ever be, and he could help the Girls more than Cooper.

Earl should channel some Pete hate towards Jerruh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":1h4lku9s said:
pmedic920":1h4lku9s said:

This!!!

“A 1st for AC, but not a 2nd for ET III, that got to hurt.” Really couldn’t say it any better. Earl is ten time the football player AC will ever be, and he could help the Girls more than Cooper.

Or Earl should run for CEO of the LOB (Legion of Bricks) for opening his mouth and tying our trade hands to begin with. :snack:

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":2tiey2g6 said:
Apples and oranges if you're comparing Earl vs. Cooper's trade value. Different position, different age.

The most drastic comparison is Gordon vs. Cooper. The Brown only got a 5th rounder for Gordon. IMO the Cowboys way overpaid for Cooper, 1st is crazy.

Guess it goes to show you why some organizations stay on top (Patriots), and some never get it (Browns and Cowboys).

^^^^^This

Absolutely, in this day of salary caps and high percentage guarantees you have to make well thought out decisions. Obviously, it's not an exact science and you don't want to be overly cautious to the point of paranoia but best to be circumspect.

(There is a caveat to this in that Brady plays for less than he's worth but he still makes 20.5 million a year so you can't completely ascribe it to that.)

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":cxcx669p said:
toffee":cxcx669p said:
pmedic920":cxcx669p said:

This!!!

Or Earl should run for CEO of the LOB (Legion of Bricks) for opening his mouth and tying our trade hands to begin with. :snack:

This!