Time to pay Frank

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I didn't say pay him 20M, I said that's where the market is now, so it's going to be much closer to 20M than the 15M you think he's worth.

If I had to guess, Frank's average annual salary will be in the 18M range.

You keep wanting to get into what he's "worth." Worth is completely and utterly meaningless when it comes to football salaries, it's all about the market. That's the only leverage the players have, so they use it when they can.......and believe me, Frank and his agent are using it as we speak.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2v6hdgll said:
I didn't say pay him 20M, I said that's where the market is now, so it's going to be much closer to 20M than the 15M you think he's worth.

If I had to guess, Frank's average annual salary will be in the 18M range.

You keep wanting to get into what he's "worth." Worth is completely and utterly meaningless when it comes to football salaries, it's all about the market. That's the only leverage the players have, so they use it when they can.......and believe me, Frank and his agent are using it as we speak.

I asked you that in my first response, yet you passed on an answer. :roll:

So now $18M is "MUCH closer" to $20M than $15M?? More like barely (by 500K)

I said around $15M....so ya I would go 16M max but no more. Certainly not 20 was my main point. He is not a top 5 DE, and he's not a franchise QB, that I know.

Worth IS the market, I agree.

Where we disagree is how great Frank is. You compare to Mack and say that is where "WE" are. Clearly that puts him in the same conversation in your mind, double back or not. I showed evidence of where he stands to others at his position, you didn't.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1ptlkruc said:
Where we disagree is how great Frank is. You compare to Mack and say that is where "WE" are. Clearly that puts him in the same conversation in your mind, double back or not. I showed evidence of where he stands to others at his position, you didn't.

I compared the market to Mack, not Frank's talent.

Mack's obviously the standard, along with Miller and Donald IMO. Then I do think Clark is in the next tier of DE's, mainly because of his current production + upside of being on the come.

That does make a difference for team's like us willing to give a player like Clark maybe more than his stats prove out, which is what you're mired in. His stats. Because as opposed to guys like Bennett and Avril last time around where you're just hoping they don't fall off.................with Clark you're thinking he's only going to get better and justify paying him a little more than he's worth right now.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xunvu3ip said:
Seymour":xunvu3ip said:

Mack's obviously the standard, along with Miller and Donald IMO. Then I do think Clark is in the next tier of DE's, mainly because of his current production + upside of being on the come.

That does make a difference for team's like us willing to give a player like Clark maybe more than his stats prove out, which is what you're mired in. His stats. Because as opposed to guys like Bennett and Avril last time around where you're just hoping they don't fall off.................with Clark you're thinking he's only going to get better and justify paying him a little more than he's worth right now.

Again, that is you thinking that, not me. Name another recent Seahawk that has gotten noticeably better after his 2nd contract. That is a very slippery slope to climb right there, and I'd be bothered if our FO thinks and gives contracts with that mindset personally.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":7971advs said:
Sgt. Largent":7971advs said:
Seymour":7971advs said:

Again, that is you thinking that, not me. Name another recent Seahawk that has gotten noticeably better after his 2nd contract. That is a very slippery slope to climb right there, and I'd be bothered if our FO thinks and gives contracts with that mindset personally.

Russell
Marshawn
Bennett
Avril
Bobby
Doug
KJ
Lockett's also on pace for a career year after signing his new deal

It's not my thinking, it's how every GM thinks. Good players who are on the upswing going into their 2nd contracts usually perform well, so you pay them. 3rd contracts? That's where hopefully we learned our lesson.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3p1kdidn said:
Seymour":3p1kdidn said:
Sgt. Largent":3p1kdidn said:
Seymour":3p1kdidn said:

Russell
Marshawn
Bennett
Avril
Bobby
Doug
KJ

It's not my thinking, it's how every GM thinks. Good players who are on the upswing going into their 2nd contracts usually perform well, so you pay them. 3rd contracts? That's where hopefully we learned our lesson.

LMAO...
Dude, you have said more than once you believe Wilson has regressed, and just recently called him a game manager "type". He is on his 2nd contract still!! :3-1:

OK...nobody can prove that either way, but I'd say possibly Bennett. Point being, you don't pay someone a wage "you hope they grow into". Unless you prefer last place that is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3olc7dy0 said:
Sgt. Largent":3olc7dy0 said:
Seymour":3olc7dy0 said:
Sgt. Largent":3olc7dy0 said:

Russell
Marshawn
Bennett
Avril
Bobby
Doug
KJ

LMAO...
Dude, you have said more than once you believe Wilson has regressed, and just recently called him a game manager "type". He is on his 2nd contract still!! :3-1:

OK...nobody can prove that either way, but I'd say possibly Bennett. Point being, you don't pay someone a wage "you hope they grow into". Unless you prefer last place that is.

You asked for examples, and I gave you a bunch. All these guys have better stats and numbers in their 2nd contracts than their first.

My opinions or statements you take out of context to take jabs at me because you don't have anything else to add to your flimsy points is irrelevant.

Clark's gonna get paid, it's gonna be way more than 15M, and that's that. Whether you like it or approve of it or not.

The End

Tical21

Reaction score
Frank's next APY will be 1.2 million per sack he gets this year.

Sacks and strip sacks are essentially the only stats that will factor into his paycheck. Get it done really soon, or he's going to just wait and test the waters.

Seymour

Reaction score
The End is in full loop mode. It never will end and you know it :twisted:

Dog chase tail anim md wm

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm thinking how in hell can we afford 20 million plus for Clark and 35 million plus to RW?
I know it doesn't have to be in same year but the cap hit in the year with both at those
figures :34853_doh: ..I just do not believe there isn't a better way to handle this without
killing the team overall..

edogg23

Reaction score
Frank is coming off one of his best games as a pro. You have until the beginning of free agency next year to sign him. This would probably be the worst time to try and sign him.

misfit

Reaction score
I dont wanna think about this dline without Clark on it. Would be a train wreck

nanomoz

Reaction score
edogg23":kez41xdc said:
Frank is coming off one of his best games as a pro. You have until the beginning of free agency next year to sign him. This would probably be the worst time to try and sign him.

Wouldn't it be a much worse time when other teams are offering money and there is actually competition for his services?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Seahawks' Frank Clark would be OK with franchise tag, agent says

With a growing résumé and an insurance policy in his back pocket, Seattle Seahawks defensive end Frank Clark is willing to wait as he tries to secure a deal that makes him one of the NFL's highest-paid pass-rushers -- even if it means playing on the franchise tag first.

https://es.pn/2R9VP3K

hawknation2018

Reaction score
$17 million APY seems like a lot for Clark, who has a solid sack total by doesn’t tend to generate a lot of pressures (he’s been outside the Top 10 among DEs in pressures).

What is the franchise tag projected to be next year for a DE? This year it was over $17 million.

xray

Reaction score
He is in no hurry ...he is going to want " MACK MONEY " the Hawks will franchise him....IMO

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Franchise tag, then move on. Draft and develop defense. No one defensive player is worth 20M+ in today’s game. Not enough consistent impact on winning overall.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":123k7ggq said:
Franchise tag, then move on. Draft and develop defense. No one defensive player is worth 20M+ in today’s game. Not enough consistent impact on winning overall.

They absolutely are worth the money, it's why they make so much now.

It's one of the main reasons why we won our SB, it's THE main reason the Broncos won their SB, and it won the Eagles their SB last year with the strip sack of Brady.

You just can't be successful in the NFL without a pass rush, as we're about to find out over the next month playing Rivers, Stafford, Goff and Rodgers.

So yeah, if we already had 2-3 young DE's that we could build our D-line around I'd agree with you guys who don't want to pay Frank............but we don't, so we will. He'll either get his monster deal, or we'll franchise him for a year or two. Which his agent said yesterday they were perfectly fine with.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":a5lrz4ss said:
Coug_Hawk08":a5lrz4ss said:

They absolutely are worth the money, it's why they make so much now.

It's one of the main reasons why we won our SB, it's THE main reason the Broncos won their SB, and it won the Eagles their SB last year with the strip sack of Brady.

You just can't be successful in the NFL without a pass rush, as we're about to find out over the next month playing Rivers, Stafford, Goff and Rodgers.

So yeah, if we already had 2-3 young DE's that we could build our D-line around I'd agree with you guys who don't want to pay Frank............but we don't, so we will.
He'll either get his monster deal, or we'll franchise him for a year or two. Which his agent said yesterday they were perfectly fine with.

Here we go again. Clark is not Donnald, he is not Watt ($16M per year through 2021!!), he is not Mack, he is not MIller.......and he's NOT worth $20 million dollars!

1 billion dollars