We Are Not What Our Record Says We Are

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":2xv3k0a2 said:
I am drinking the Kool-Aid when it comes to how much growth we have seen out of this young team. Did any of us expect to be number one in rushing and top 5-6 in defense halfway through the season? I sure as hell didn't.

Still, you can clearly tell this team is going through growing pains. They are good, trying to learn how to be great. That will take another season or two.

If I am to be critical, I would put my attention on Russell and the lack of pass rush. Russell can be so money at times, yet mind-boggingly average - or worse - at crucial times which really bothers me. How much of that is Russ trying to fit into the new Schotty Scheme and how much of that is on Russ just not playing to his potential?

The lack of pass rush is easier to diagnose. We just don't have the horses. We need to draft more pass rushers period. Frank is getting lost out there in double teams and nobody else seems to be stepping up.

Game of inches. We say it every year. We should be 6-3 not 4-5.

I think it's the offense, Wilson is suppose to read and know who 1 - 5 options are and what the hot read is, Schotty holds him accountable for this, Schotty's offense is not black and white in this regard as well. These are the hiccups I think by seasons end will get better as he reads faster and the ball comes out faster which will eliminate the holding the ball sacks a lot more.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nope, this team is real close to being very good again. They will start winning these games at end and be right back in the mix. You are seeing improvement, especially in the running game.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
The records speaks for itself. We are a young, scrappy .500 team.

But, wasn’t this the case in 2011? I really like what I see with this team and with a couple of good breaks, we can win 10 games.

GLio14

Reaction score
As I said in another thread, this team is good, but we're good to the point where we can stay in games and give teams a hard time. There's something missing, and I agree, Russ has been off. The past two games, he's missed four wide open receivers on throws that he usually makes.

I'm kinda looking towards next season already, because I know playoffs are out of the question. I'm moving on from KJ, I haven't liked what I've seen from him, and I'm hoping Kendricks doesn't get much jail time, so we can re-sign him.

We're a good team, and we'll be in a bunch of games, but playoffs are out of the question. Next year is when the fun should begin.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I think our record is exactly who we are right now. This is a transition year. I think we finish 7-9 or the dreaded 8-8.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, imo we are better than the record says. But I'm just a homer, and damn proud of it.
Doesn't feel like a 4-5 team to me. But, we knew this would be an up and down season all year, and we are seeing it. The running game and being in the mix in every game is a surprise though.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Seahawks are definitely a younger team on the rise. We got spoiled watching peak LOB operate. Those guys could practically read each other minds which is why they were elite.

This squad has the talent but is still not playing like a cohesive unit. Chalk it up to youth and inexperience.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Our record is about where I thought we'd be this year, but the team overall is further along then I'd thought it'd be.

The lack of depth and playmakers on defense is our Achilles heal right now, especially along the D-line. Just not getting those big plays at key times of the game in order to win these close games.

Fowler's strip sack of Russell? That used to be us, as soon as our D can do that? We'll be back in the mix.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Coaching and play calling in the 4th quarter of all our losses has been pretty bad. Why in the world they just tried to let Russ sit back there against THAT D line makes zero sense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2z4hzp8i said:
Coaching and play calling in the 4th quarter of all our losses has been pretty bad. Why in the world they just tried to let Russ sit back there against THAT D line makes zero sense.

Yep. Why continue to call 5 and 7 step drops when Russell's getting killed all day. Move the pocket, roll out, quick screens, draw plays...........what's the definition of insanity? Continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome?

That was our pass offense yesterday, insane.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12ufsqoq said:
SoulfishHawk":12ufsqoq said:

Yep. Why continue to call 5 and 7 step drops when Russell's getting killed all day. Move the pocket, roll out, quick screens, draw plays...........what's the definition of insanity? Continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome?

That was our pass offense yesterday, insane.

The thing about 5 and 7 step drops is that the 3 step only becomes conspicuously absent when there's a situation that would be apropos for using it - 3rd and less than 5. And yet, time and time again we see at least a 5 step drop and then some YAC abomination route and something that plays out less than ideal.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
7 years in to his career, and they are STILL trying to make him do stuff that doesn't fit what his strengths are. Play action, rolling out, zone read etc. Meanwhile, teams are creating offenses that match their QB. Look at that Bears game in the 4th quarter, it was impressive the way they were coaching the offense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":5lxvwjj8 said:
7 years in to his career, and they are STILL trying to make him do stuff that doesn't fit what his strengths are. Play action, rolling out, zone read etc. Meanwhile, teams are creating offenses that match their QB. Look at that Bears game in the 4th quarter, it was impressive the way they were coaching the offense.

Russell had a lot of success from the pocket the last half of 2015. But yes, other than that stretch of games, his pocket protection and overall success from obvious passing downs has been bad.............especially against this version of the Rams with how good their front four is getting home.

Which is my frustration. Try something else, anything.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I just feel like other teams adjust and we don't. And losing games they should win, over and over again brings back bad memories.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":332j1zqm said:
SoulfishHawk":332j1zqm said:

Russell had a lot of success from the pocket the last half of 2015. But yes, other than that stretch of games, his pocket protection and overall success from obvious passing downs has been bad.............especially against this version of the Rams with how good their front four is getting home.

Which is my frustration. Try something else, anything.

It just feels to me like Wilson is not fully comfortable in his role in a new Offense... also there has been no offensive line continuity... it feels like they struggle against elite competition at crucial times in which receivers are not getting open, pass protection is breaking down and there isnt the chemistry there used to be... it just takes time to come together... from the beginning of the season this is a vastly better team now and they are the best 4-5 team the NFL has ever seen...

LTH

Polaris

Reaction score
I think Aros makes a good point and Football Outsiders seem to say the same thing. In week nine, Seattle was #9 with a 11.4% DVOA. Now take consider the following. In our first nine games, Seattle has only played 3 home games TWO of which were against team in the top five (top tier) of DVOA (Rams and Chargers). I think we are a little too harsh about the way we played against the Chargers mainly because (like Seattle) the Chargers are sneaky good and haven't gotten a lot of national press for how good they really are. It was very unfortunate we had to play them. So our losses are against Chicago, Denver, Rams x2, and Chargers. Of the bunch only Denver is a bad team and we had to play them on week one before we got our faculties together and figured a few things out. Also don't forget that the line against Seattle was 10(!!) [Seattle was an easy wise-guy bet] which means the Rams were supposed to blow us out. ALL of these were close games.

OTOH, consider our wins [Arizona, Cowboys, Detroit, Oakland]. None of these were especially in doubt nor should they haven been enough though the masses thought at the time Detroit was better.

Now consider what we have left. The only road games left are at Carolina on Thanksgiving weekend, and at San Fran.

We have San Fran twice, Arizona (at home). That should be three wins right there. We also have the Packers this Thursday. Rodgers is great but his team is a mess, and Green Bay on the Road is a shadow of the team it is at home. I believe we win this one too (Detroit is better than Green Bay right now). That's four. That leaves our two really tough games I see left on our schedule: Kansas City (at home) and Carolina (at home).

Having watched Carolina, I am not impressed. I believe if Seattle plays to form (and it will be the first game after our mini-bye), we can beat Carolina. I am expecting us to lose against KC.

My point is while being 4-5 sucks right now, if you compare us with other 4-5 teams (such as ATL), we are a lot better than our record indicates mainly because the teeth of our schedule and away games were incredibly front loaded with had an unfortunate effect with a team that is retooling this year.

I predict that we go either 9-7 or 10-6. If we can gut out 10-6 I think we can sneak out a WC berth (not expecting much past that). 9-7 might not be enough.....but it could be.

Just my take.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Actually, we are what our record says we are. At the same time, if we can sneak into a wildcard berth, we are the team no one wants to play, because we are the team that sends division winners home one and done.

Polaris

Reaction score
seedhawk":3haqwco1 said:
Actually, we are what our record says we are. At the same time, if we can sneak into a wildcard berth, we are the team no one wants to play, because we are the team that sends division winners home one and done.

I respectfully disagree. I think raw record can be very deceptive depending on who a team has played and when (with all due respect to Bill Parcells). I believe this is such a case with Seattle. I am under no illusions that we are a top tier team this year, but I do think Seattle is a lot better than we seem on paper.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Coaches are fired based on Wins and Losses.

They are not fired by, "We really are a such and such record."

Gimme a break.

If the Seahawks are according to some a 6-3 team, the same can be said for other teams. Those other teams are really "undefeated..." blah blah blah.

Whatever your reason is, the team is young and whatever, the truth is, coaches do not get that luxury in saying, "my team is young, so you shouldn't fire me cause I have a losing record."

The truth all teams try to be young, talented and cheap.

But not all teams can be, and those that aren't, generally have coaches on hot seats.

With the Hawks appearing to be destined for new ownership, you can bet the pending owner is carefully watching the product on the field and not thinking, they're losing because they are "too young."

In the NFL, if you don't field a collective cohesive talent, either all young, all veterans, or both, you're not gonna win consistently and your coach will probably no longer be your coach at the end of the season.

In this league, you need talented players, either they are talented young, talented veterans and talented coaches to consistently win. The Seahawks are clearly lacking in all these areas which makes them exactly what their record is. Nothing more and nothing less.

Polaris

Reaction score
While I certainly agree that coaches are hired and fired based on wins and losses (there are other considerations usually, but I agree that's the main one), it's usually based on wins and losses for entire seasons. I suppose my main point is that judging Seattle as a 4-5 team before the rest of the season is complete makes as much sense as judging a student in a class before the term is over.