Seattle's defense

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
We need another pass rusher and kendricks back. I think kj will be gone

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Mingo took most of his snaps at DE. Did he generate any pass rush?

Would like to see more snaps for Martin. Also give Reed more rest by playing Ford more.

McDougald, Wright, and Hill were playing through injuries, and it showed at times.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sac":3veyixb8 said:
Dafuq has Poona been? That's what I wanna know.
EL if I know, alls I know is that I ain't been getting any......er.......never mind. :oops:

AgentDib

Reaction score
I actually hope Bobby and KJ are significantly more limited than we know. I'm not of the opinion that you need to find scapegoats when losing close games to better teams, but if you wanted to look further into the group that has under performed the most three of the last four halves it has been our LBs.

My main concern going into this year was at DL and that hasn't gone away, but I do think it's fixable next off-season. We have some decent pieces already and youngsters that can get better, and DL is a unit where adding a key player or two to the rotation can elevate everybody else.

I'm thrilled with what the secondary is doing given reasonable expectations. It hasn't been anywhere near flawless but it has been better than anybody had a right to expect.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":32meqbei said:
Sac":32meqbei said:
Dafuq has Poona been? That's what I wanna know.

He played 18 snaps.

The young defensive linemen didn’t play a lot in this game. 17 snaps for Martin. 10 for Green. For some reason, they’re not trusting the young guys to stop the run in base downs.

Clark played 56 snaps. Reed played 53, which seems like too many if you believe in the law of diminishing returns. Stephen played 41. Jordan 33. Jefferson 32. Mingo 30 (splitting time between SLB and LEO).

I'm all for questioning Pete on most things, but when it comes to the defense IMO he's the expert.

If these younger guys aren't playing, it's because they haven't shown Pete in practice that they're ready, healthy, trustworthy to be in their gaps, etc.

IMO the guys that need to step up aren't the younger players, it's guys like Jefferson, Jordan, Stephan and Jones. THOSE are the guys that should be rotating in and performing well enough to not have to wear out Reed and Clark with too many snaps.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22oirpcd said:
Cyrus12":22oirpcd said:
You guys do know this is a rebuild right? It cant ge done in one year with failed draft picks eg. The atv rider guy. For what they have on the roster right now they are doing better than I thought. Yes there are lots of holes and filler but its gonna take a couple years to build the d. Isnt this the year the offense was supposed to carry the team?

Rebuild doesn't mean we shouldn't expect things like;

1. Our franchise QB and his veteran offense to perform in the 4th quarter and not be 0-4 this year trying to win games late. Fumbles, sacks, killer penalties.........not good enough.

2. Our coaching staff to be more creative when things aren't working, especially on defense.

We all get that it's a rebuild year, but that doesn't excuse fixable things and better performance from your most experienced and talented players.
1. The O-Coaching has been working hard to try and get Wilson to play AWAY from his save the day plays.......Lots of trade-offs........Careful what you ask for.

themunn

Reaction score
Our 3 losses in our last 7 games have come against 2 of the probably 4 best offenses in the league. In the Chargers came we held them to 0 points offensively in the 2nd half, and the Rams have scored 29+ points in every single game this year, regardless of opponent.

It's not really a surprise that this defense isn't quite as good as in previous years against the best teams in the league given the number of high profile losses/injuries. But they have potential. In each of the last 2 losses they forced a 3 and out which gave the offense enough time to score.

With the right moves in the offseason I certainly think they have potential to get back in among the elite teams in the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3o0zqkyu said:
Sgt. Largent":3o0zqkyu said:
Cyrus12":3o0zqkyu said:
You guys do know this is a rebuild right? It cant ge done in one year with failed draft picks eg. The atv rider guy. For what they have on the roster right now they are doing better than I thought. Yes there are lots of holes and filler but its gonna take a couple years to build the d. Isnt this the year the offense was supposed to carry the team?

Rebuild doesn't mean we shouldn't expect things like;

1. Our franchise QB and his veteran offense to perform in the 4th quarter and not be 0-4 this year trying to win games late. Fumbles, sacks, killer penalties.........not good enough.

2. Our coaching staff to be more creative when things aren't working, especially on defense.

We all get that it's a rebuild year, but that doesn't excuse fixable things and better performance from your most experienced and talented players.
1. The O-Coaching has been working hard to try and get Wilson to play AWAY from his save the day plays.......Lots of trade-offs........Careful what you ask for.

You're talking about playcalling, I'm talking about execution.

- Wilson fumbles the snap and runs into a 15 yard sack on consecutive plays in Denver to lose the game
- Wilson throws a pick six in Chicago to lose the game
- Sweezy false starts and Russell and Moore can't connect to tie the game against the Chargers
- Russell scrambles and overthrows Lockett to end the game yesterday

That's not coaching or playcalling, that's simple execution...............again execution that I EXPECT from a veteran offense and so called franchise QB.

LTH

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2rnbtfj7 said:
So were 9 games in and my take on them is this. There not good enough . Now that may sound simplistic but it's the truth.
We need a better pass rush, and what many of us thought was a strength LB looks very suspect against good teams.

Seattle has a couple things to fix. First we need a dominant lineman I don't care if it's at DE or DT but we need one. Second we need another really physical LB, fix those two things and I think they can maybe get to 10-6 9-7 next year.

If they are going to stay with Wilson and this offense there going to have to get better defensively were giving up to many points . Our secondary is decent but there having to cover for to long we need to get more pressure up front.

We knew the defense would take a step back and they did and it's the difference between us making the playoffs and going 7-9. Seattle has never been a great offense with Wilson at QB, but he is good enough to win with . Seattle has to have a great defense or the way the team is built doesn't work. Seattle simply isn't built to outscore teams never has been under Pete. Also tough schedule I mean it's just a tough year to try and retool and make the playoffs with this schedule.

They stood toe to toe with the best Offense in football... They made the stops when they had to and put this team in position to win the damn game what more do you want from a D? This is crazy... if you match up the Rams O against the Hawks D they should just blow us out... but thats not what happened they played well enough to win the game...

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, they have been in every game this year. While I didn't expect it going in, I'm loving the way this team fights til the end. Just gotta' get those W's at the end instead of losing games you should win.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
LTH":3d4o7utl said:
Northwest Seahawk":3d4o7utl said:
So were 9 games in and my take on them is this. There not good enough . Now that may sound simplistic but it's the truth.
We need a better pass rush, and what many of us thought was a strength LB looks very suspect against good teams.

Seattle has a couple things to fix. First we need a dominant lineman I don't care if it's at DE or DT but we need one. Second we need another really physical LB, fix those two things and I think they can maybe get to 10-6 9-7 next year.

If they are going to stay with Wilson and this offense there going to have to get better defensively were giving up to many points . Our secondary is decent but there having to cover for to long we need to get more pressure up front.

We knew the defense would take a step back and they did and it's the difference between us making the playoffs and going 7-9. Seattle has never been a great offense with Wilson at QB, but he is good enough to win with . Seattle has to have a great defense or the way the team is built doesn't work. Seattle simply isn't built to outscore teams never has been under Pete. Also tough schedule I mean it's just a tough year to try and retool and make the playoffs with this schedule.

They stood toe to toe with the best Offense in football... They made the stops when they had to and put this team in position to win the damn game what more do you want from a D? This is crazy... if you match up the Rams O against the Hawks D they should just blow us out... but thats not what happened they played well enough to win the game...

LTH

Then we need a better QB because we rushed for a ton of yards and according to you the defense is just fine.

LTH

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1yq3h5sg said:
LTH":1yq3h5sg said:
Northwest Seahawk":1yq3h5sg said:

LTH

Then we need a better QB because we rushed for a ton of yards and according to you the defense is just fine.

I think the D is good enough to get us to the playoffs...and I think the O is good enough to get us to the play offs... I would say just relax a bit drink a beer and enjoy the game ... its going to get better...This is typical Seahawks its not like we were not in almost they exact same position in 2015..

LTH

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
LTH":k7j7u0pq said:
Northwest Seahawk":k7j7u0pq said:
LTH":k7j7u0pq said:
Northwest Seahawk":k7j7u0pq said:

LTH

I think the D is good enough to get us to the playoffs...and I think the O is good enough to get us to the play offs... I would say just relax a bit drink a beer and enjoy the game ... its going to get better...This is typical Seahawks its not like we were not in almost they exact same position in 2015..

LTH

I like the optimism but we have a tough remaining schedule and were 4-5 playoffs are a longshot at best. I do think we have a good chance to beat GB but even if we do it's still a longshot to make the playoffs.

knownone

Reaction score
If you remove the 3 games against the #2 and #3 offenses we're a top 5 defense if you include them we're still 10th. The defense this season, despite a tougher schedule, is still on pace to be better than last seasons.

It's probably easier to make the argument that our offense is not good enough rather than our defense. I'm just saying, we have a better defense statistically than all but 3 teams with a better record than us the Bears, Texans, and Vikings.

I do agree that we need a better pass rush and some help at linebacker.

LTH

Reaction score
knownone":7jfzry3u said:
If you remove the 3 games against the #2 and #3 offenses we're a top 5 defense if you include them we're still 10th. The defense this season, despite a tougher schedule, is still on pace to be better than last seasons.

It's probably easier to make the argument that our offense is not good enough rather than our defense. I'm just saying, we have a better defense statistically than all but 3 teams with a better record than us the Bears, Texans, and Vikings.

I do agree that we need a better pass rush and some help at linebacker.

What we need is a little bit of ANGRY DOUG! LOL! I think its time to see Baldwin step it up I read he is feeling better hope that is true. :2thumbs:

This is a championship run guys! Nobody believes me... Thats ok Im going to enjoy this run they are going to go on...

LTH

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's worth revisiting the last time Pete rebuilt this defense in 2010.

That year he was lucky enough to start with his keystone position on defense: Earl Thomas

I would expect him to do the same now. Obviously I'd like to see them just resign Earl. He's worth the price whatever he gets. And there isn't an edge player who is as good at rushing the passer, as Earl is as good at being a game altering safety.

Failing that -- I think we're going to start at FS. Seattle has typically double dipped in deep talent pools in most drafts. But has opted for day 2/3 selections. Allowing talent to percolate down the list and use their top picks for addressing other needs.

I'd predict that Seattle looks at Washington's Byron Murphy as Earl's successor (regardless if they resign him or not). They are very similar type players. Which to me is crucial. Seattle has specific skill needs for our FS and most traditional safeties don't possess those traits. Murphy blends speed/instinct and ability to hit in a similar fashion that Thomas did coming out of UT. Murphy is likely to go in the teens to 20s. Right about where we're going to be picking.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3ei13l6y said:

That year he was lucky enough to start with his keystone position on defense: Earl Thomas

I would expect him to do the same now. Obviously I'd like to see them just resign Earl. He's worth the price whatever he gets. And there isn't an edge player who is as good at rushing the passer, as Earl is as good at being a game altering safety.

Failing that -- I think we're going to start at FS. Seattle has typically double dipped in deep talent pools in most drafts. But has opted for day 2/3 selections. Allowing talent to percolate down the list and use their top picks for addressing other needs.

I'd predict that Seattle looks at Washington's Byron Murphy as Earl's successor (regardless if they resign him or not). They are very similar type players. Which to me is crucial. Seattle has specific skill needs for our FS and most traditional safeties don't possess those traits. Murphy blends speed/instinct and ability to hit in a similar fashion that Thomas did coming out of UT. Murphy is likely to go in the teens to 20s. Right about where we're going to be picking.

There not taking a FS with there first pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":tiv8uf5f said:
Attyla the Hawk":tiv8uf5f said:

I think we were absolutely taking Derwin James with our first pick last year, but we missed out by one pick.

So Pete and John will absolutely take a game changing safety, FS or SS if that safety is special enough to draft high like Earl was.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2g2z0j80 said:
Northwest Seahawk":2g2z0j80 said:
Attyla the Hawk":2g2z0j80 said:

I think we were absolutely taking Derwin James with our first pick last year, but we missed out by one pick.

So Pete and John will absolutely take a game changing safety, FS or SS if that safety is special enough to draft high like Earl was.

Fine your on record there taking a Safety i disagree.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1brao8md said:
Sgt. Largent":1brao8md said:
Northwest Seahawk":1brao8md said:
Attyla the Hawk":1brao8md said:

Fine your on record there taking a Safety i disagree.

IF he's special, re-read what I said.

That goes for any player at any position. The reason we trade down so much is because Pete and John only have first round grades on about half the players drafted in the first round. So they're not going to draft a player they graded in the second or third round in the first round.