Our Outlook for the rest of the Year

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Still sticking to 9-7, but they certainly have given away a lot of games they could have won. Just goes to show that a season really does come down to a small handful of plays.

mrt144

Reaction score
Scorpion05":6aftb3il said:
mrt144":6aftb3il said:
Sports Hernia":6aftb3il said:
This is a 7-9 or 8-8 team. Coaching mistakes to me are more concerning than lack of talent or underperforming players at the moment.

To me a team that keeps coming up short is exactly what an 8-8 team looks like. They can make it seem close but still fail to make the plays to get over the hump that a better team would.

That's more of good team. Seattle is in the "good" category. Not average. Average teams don't give Super Bowl contenders hell. Average teams also don't put up points this consistently against top teams.

We are a good team with a tough schedule. No worse imo than the Vikings, Panthers, etc.

Well then we need to stop playing better teams ;)

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Can only afford to lose one more game which is unlikely to occur. I see it anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7.

tafkar

Reaction score
to get a more precise answer to this question, check out this playoff predictor website : [urltargetblank]https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/nfl-playoff-machine.html[/urltargetblank]

As things stand now, this machine predicts the Seahawks to have about 23% chance to make the playoffs. However, if they win their next three games the odds go up to about 67%. even if they lose to the Vikings and Chiefs they still have a good chance.

Bandwagon76

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3djgktve said:
Just don't see us making the playoffs. We just aren't that great. I think our record reflects the type of team we are, about a .500 team. We can beat the really bad teams, we can't beat the really good teams, and we play a competitive game with the mediocre teams.

The NFC South is going to likely get two teams in, and I think the NFC North likely gets two teams. There is a possibility the North gets in three teams. Obviously the games against GB and Carolina will be huge.

Really? Completely talkin out of your butt! I’m not even going to break the games down but you obviously are just spouting off nonsense. You for one will be thought about first as this gets turned around.

Denver Loss, mediocre/bad, competitive

Chicago Loss, good/great, competitive

Cowboys Win, Mediocre, Blowout

Cards Win, Bad, Struggled

Detroit Win, Mediocre, Blowout

Rams Loss, Elite, Extremely Competitive

Raiders Win, garbage, Blowout

Chargers, Loss, good/great, Blowout

Rams, Loss, Elite, Competitive

Also the NFC north getting 3 teams ONLY if we lose to the Packers and Vikings and at point our season is over anyway. We play them both here at home so those should be wins which gives Seattle a 3-1 record against that division and holding all wildcard tie breakers.

People seem to just never “get it.” Every single week we watch as teams that are “better” than Seattle (New England, Carolina) getting blown out of the water. Teams of all shapes and sizes getting obliterated and yet the Hawks remain competitive and close week to week.

The season is not even close to over and the negativity would be easier digested if some would at least back up what they are saying with facts rather than blind hatred.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You haven't seen a thing yet, just wait :irishdrinkers:

They will win games, and people will make excuses for WHY they won. It's never because the Hawks played well, it's that the other team sucks and/or just played bad, had injuries etc. And when they lose, people come out of the wood work to tell they told you so etc.

Just roll with it, it's hilarious.

Chawker

Reaction score
To make the playoffs we'll need to have a 10-6 record, which means that we'd need to go 6-1 over our next 7 games. So we 've been playing good hard nose football as of late, but i just not see us doing it.
Cheers

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bandwagon76":a6vsugvx said:
Really? Completely talkin out of your butt! I’m not even going to break the games down but you obviously are just spouting off nonsense. You for one will be thought about first as this gets turned around.

The season is not even close to over and the negativity would be easier digested if some would at least back up what they are saying with facts rather than blind hatred.

You've got nerve to be saying stuff like this with your ninth post, rookie. ;)

The reality is somewhere in the middle. We've been competitive in all these games...because Pete's run-first philosophy is an equalizer. But you might have noticed we're not winning. Winning is how you make the playoffs. The defense isn't getting off the field on third down despite their scrappy play, and we don't have that extra oomph we need to win games we used to win. We're going to need another year of reloading, methinks. And this upcoming draft is just the draft to do it.

Bandwagon76

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":x8h3gt8d said:
Bandwagon76":x8h3gt8d said:

You've got nerve to be saying stuff like this with your ninth post, rookie. ;)

The reality is somewhere in the middle. We've been competitive in all these games...because Pete's run-first philosophy is an equalizer. But you might have noticed we're not winning. Winning is how you make the playoffs. The defense isn't getting off the field on third down despite their scrappy play, and we don't have that extra oomph we need to win games we used to win. We're going to need another year of reloading, methinks. And this upcoming draft is just the draft to do it.

I’m only a rookie on this discussion board but I thoroughly was frustrated at the comments made there as there was no basis for literally anything that he said. I’m not all rainbows and butterflies all the time but at least when I make statements they are based on “something.”

There is a direct correlation to being close week in and week out and winning football games. We’ve seen this before and we are seeing it again. I imagine once the Hawks go on this run and are in the playoffs that some will forget all they said and be saying that the sky is the limit.

It will take some good football to get there and I believe wholeheartedly that it begins tomorrow.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Making the playoffs is very unlikely at this point they have to win 2 out of the next 3 to have a chance it starts with GB. If we lose to GB there toast. If they can do that win 2 out of next 3 then the 3 wins against SF and Arizona gives us a descent chance. Division games are never easy I have a hard time believing we win all three. That's to get to 9-7 hopefully that's enough. Honestly though I think you have a better chance of winning the lottery than Seattle making the playoffs this year.

LTH

Reaction score
I say they go on a role... make the play offs and beat the Rams in the NFC championship game 38-37 in LA 14 point underdogs... Yeah man thats how its going down!!! :)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Outlook = more of the same. Change doesn’t come easily or quickly in the NFL.

Some exciting moments and more frustratingly close losses.

Something is missing and it’s really more on the D than the O. The team is vulnerable to the pass and AT IMPORTANT times can’t get off the field when they need to get off the field. The 3rd down defense is still not reliably stopping opponents. The dominating D of past is missing some key pieces, yet has promise at times. It’s frustrating to watch because the team is close but not quit there yet.

As well, the 4th quarter magic is not there to the same degree it used to be, and RW has recently made some ugly mistakes trying to make something from nothing or from less than we had before. Lately the team seems unable to protect a lead and have needed almost miraculous late chunk plays from an O that is set up to grind it. There is, as said, something missing here. It’s close but it isn’t getting done, at least not so far this season.

Saying the above I believe there is still a genuine chance the team could make the playoffs and pull it together defensively but I don’t see many big double digit wins as the horses aren’t here to ride on O or can’t stay healthy. The team is seemingly reloading/rebuilding and we need to be patient. This year’s team is a physically tough team and no opponent has an easy time against it.

I really would love to see this team play the Rams again. The rivalry is there and our boys can get it done by fixing a very few things. I think our guys are built for a longer period of being competitive than the Rams are at present but the Rams have more weapons on O than us and a real consistent pass rush.

4-5 and facing Packers, Vikings, Panthers, KC, and 3 divisional games with SF and AZ, I expect 5-2 which may not be enough for a wildcard at 9-7. I’m not being defeatist and this team has the present ability to run the table.

It starts for real tonight, a must win game without a doubt.

ducks41468

Reaction score
7-9. I think we drop one of the two games to the 49ers and squeak out a win against the Vikings or Packers.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Our outlook for the year is virtually unchanged since August.

The manner in which the record has been compiled has been the key element. This team was not going to the playoffs. That defense was never going to be good enough to make that a reality. However offensively, this team is right where it's highest hopes dared dream to be.

This team is real close. But it was not going to happen overnight. I would add, that losing Thomas probably has been worth two wins in this stretch. This defense is not right without him there, and I've said for years that Earl was the second most important player on this entire team.

This team is outperforming where I thought we had the right to expect. And still has a very legit shot at improving on that. This team may be 4-5 now. But it's been a fun and entertaining 4-5.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3naj1p87 said:

The manner in which the record has been compiled has been the key element. This team was not going to the playoffs. That defense was never going to be good enough to make that a reality. However offensively, this team is right where it's highest hopes dared dream to be.

This team is real close. But it was not going to happen overnight. I would add, that losing Thomas probably has been worth two wins in this stretch. This defense is not right without him there, and I've said for years that Earl was the second most important player on this entire team.

This team is outperforming where I thought we had the right to expect. And still has a very legit shot at improving on that. This team may be 4-5 now. But it's been a fun and entertaining 4-5.

Odd to mention Earl when two of the most winnable losses we've had this year are the Denver and Chicago losses when we had Earl.

People keep pointing to the defense as to why we're losing these close games, and it's the offense and Russell. Not sure bout you guys, but I don't accept a supposed top 10 QB in his prime, a stable of RB's, adequate WR/TE's and the best O-line we've had since our SB runs to lose all these games in the 4th quarter.

- pick sixes by Russell
- fumbling snaps
- taking 15 yard sacks
- false start on the goal line
- airmailing Lockett to end the game

So yeah it's EXACTLY what I said in August, that if this team during a rebuild of the defense was going to make the playoffs, Russell and the offense would have to carry the team..........and they're not. There is no margin for error this year, and they're making key errors.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":61iyjo2c said:
Attyla the Hawk":61iyjo2c said:

Odd to mention Earl when two of the most winnable losses we've had this year are the Denver and Chicago losses when we had Earl.

People keep pointing to the defense as to why we're losing these close games, and it's the offense and Russell. Not sure bout you guys, but I don't accept a supposed top 10 QB in his prime, a stable of RB's, adequate WR/TE's and the best O-line we've had since our SB runs to lose all these games in the 4th quarter.

- pick sixes by Russell
- fumbling snaps
- taking 15 yard sacks
- false start on the goal line
- airmailing Lockett to end the game

So yeah it's EXACTLY what I said in August, that if this team during a rebuild of the defense was going to make the playoffs, Russell and the offense would have to carry the team..........and they're not. There is no margin for error this year, and they're making key errors.

Beyond this season do you think the defense has more room for growth?