Rashaad Penny

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I am far less underwhelmed than I was prior to Penny's latest performance.

I still need to see more and that hunger to be excellent and better than the rest of of the RBs on the roster. At present penny is still behind both Carson and Davis though he certainly served notice he needs to be played more.

Now let's see if he can follow up a good performance against the Rams with another against the Packers, and so on and so on.

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":3cavx10m said:
scutterhawk":3cavx10m said:
Jeremy517":3cavx10m said:
Some of the people saying it was too early to label him a bust (which it was) are now declaring him not-a-bust based on ten carries. Pretty silly.

Debating the merits of drafting a RB in the first round is fine, but still way too small of a sample size to declare him a bust or non-bust.
You got to admit that the folks that said that he looked to overweight & slow are probably feeling a little sheepish right now.
I agree with you, it was/is still too early to call him anything but a Rookie Running Back.

Nobody needs to feel sheepish about it. It was real, and he has dropped the weight. Lets not attempt to re-write history here please.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/9/1...-weight-changes-yet-again-seattle-seahawks-rb

At the Scouting Combine this past spring, Penny weighed in at 220 pounds. A solid weight for his frame and athletic profile. (For comparison, the Seahawks claimed Marshawn Lynch played at 215 during his time in Seattle.)

Just prior to the beginning of preseason, Carroll casually mentioned Penny was up to 236 pounds, a jarring 16 pounds gained since the combine.

If we track Carroll’s comments both in August and on Tuesday morning, Penny now sits at 228 pounds, having gained 16 and then dropped eight since the spring. Perhaps they are trying to find his ideal weight—which is completely fair—but it isn’t the first time this has happened.

My eyeballs told me Penny has dropped more weight, he could be at 220 now. Certainly looked quicked, probably result of game became slower to him and the weight loss. Penny MUST keep his conditioning up, he has proven ineffective carrying extra weight. Wondering if the fitness staffs altered his diet?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Whatever it is it seemed to work for him. As he improves so will his confidence and his willingness to work harder to be better.

Now if only the team could get something from Prosise who seemingly slides deeper down the DC.

capncrunch

Reaction score
cheese22":27g880ns said:
It's safe to say that most teams that pick a RB in the 1st rd have a dire need there. Seattle didn't which made the pick more confusing than just considering who it was. To me it looks like he's over thinking instead of cutting loose. He's too talented to not contribute.
And all those small school commenters should remember another guy who came from that same school. Marshall Faulk had a pretty good career.

Yeah. He wants to get in to the open field instead of just driving in to the line. It was cool to see him break it outside a couple of times. I look forward to seeing more of him. He should do well on screen pass receptions too. Yeah. I see the talent there. Maybe something to the weight gain/loss issue mentioned in earlier posts. I am sure some of the other players taken in the first round are looking like studs. I am sure we will be seeing more of him, hopefully not as a result of injuries.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1721hxm9 said:
Now that Carson is back where is Penny on the depth chart?

sea-floor.jpg

:twisted:

Danny Darko

Reaction score
Penny to the many vocal doubters on .net

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5BdBfhliwM[/youtube]

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
How you doubters like your crow cooked? It’s not to late to say... ya Scientist.... you were right. He’s awesome!!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1hnhus1f said:
scutterhawk":1hnhus1f said:
Jeremy517":1hnhus1f said:
Some of the people saying it was too early to label him a bust (which it was) are now declaring him not-a-bust based on ten carries. Pretty silly.

Debating the merits of drafting a RB in the first round is fine, but still way too small of a sample size to declare him a bust or non-bust.
You got to admit that the folks that said that he looked to overweight & slow are probably feeling a little sheepish right now.
I agree with you, it was/is still too early to call him anything but a Rookie Running Back.

Nobody needs to feel sheepish about it. It was real, and he has dropped the weight. Lets not attempt to re-write history here please.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/9/1...-weight-changes-yet-again-seattle-seahawks-rb

At the Scouting Combine this past spring, Penny weighed in at 220 pounds. A solid weight for his frame and athletic profile. (For comparison, the Seahawks claimed Marshawn Lynch played at 215 during his time in Seattle.)

Just prior to the beginning of preseason, Carroll casually mentioned Penny was up to 236 pounds, a jarring 16 pounds gained since the combine.

If we track Carroll’s comments both in August and on Tuesday morning, Penny now sits at 228 pounds, having gained 16 and then dropped eight since the spring. Perhaps they are trying to find his ideal weight—which is completely fair—but it isn’t the first time this has happened.
Weight is NOT the only factor that's held him back.....weight on the mind trumps weight on the frame......EVERYTIME.
I think that him thinking that all he had to do is Show Up, to be designated #1 & then having Carson & Davis bull-rushing their way to the front of the pack early on, is what lit a fire under Penny's ass. IMHO

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Penny engaged and held blocks well tonight also, which is huge. Very nice to see the little things executed at a high level. No flashy stats there, for him, but we converted at least one 3rd down while he stood up a rusher. He looks the part more and more.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Penny had a good game again tonight even with a lesser load than last week. Keep it going Penny!

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
His legs are to skinny he can't possibly be any good what a joke no i'm not letting that go because it was the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard on draft night.

sutz

Reaction score
Penny still has a bad habit of bouncing out and/or backwards trying to get more yards than are there. He got away with it that one time tonight, but I'm sure his coaches will be talking to him about that. ;)

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Kid has had very few opportunities people. There is a learning curve of things you could get away with on previous level that flat out cant now with the talent in the league. With minimal chances he’s got he’s definitely shown the “it” factor. Quickness and burst from a pretty decently sized back. Once game slows down for him and realizes cant get away with some of the moves from college he will be a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Carolina has an excellent LB corps. They also have a strong, physical front four. Overall, they continue to be one of the NFL’s best defenses against the run.

But their defensive front has been playing kind of sluggish. They’ve been vulnerable to change of direction plays and have struggled to tackle ball carriers in space.

Carolina’s 2nd level and open field defense are only ranked 25th by Football Outsiders:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

Last week, Detroit rookie Kerryon Johnson ran all over them before injuring his knee.
[youtube]Q9rKRd9CCuQ[/youtube]

Penny has a similar running style to Johnson. Before the draft, I ranked Penny as my 5th favorite RB and Johnson 7th. I didn’t think there was that much separating them, though I preferred Penny. They both are good when they find space. Both have good vision. Both move well laterally for their size. Once they get a head full of steam, they both run through arm tackles.

I wonder if the Seahawks think Penny might find similar success against this usually pretty stout Carolina defense. This might be a big opportunity for him. I initially thought they might lean on Mike Davis in this game. But Penny appears to be a better stylistic matchup against this aggressive Carolina defense.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
sutz":3t2rhwit said:
Penny still has a bad habit of bouncing out and/or backwards trying to get more yards than are there. He got away with it that one time tonight, but I'm sure his coaches will be talking to him about that. ;)

Barry Sanders made a career out of doing exactly what Penny did. Alexander would be prone to that as well. But then they'd hit for 50 yds and flip the field.

There is room for both kind of backs on the team. The juking high risk/reward style and the 3 yards and a cloud of dust style.

AS long as Penny makes big runs I'll accept the occasional negative play here and there. Especially from a rookie.