Playoffs? Here's The Latest In Graphics

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Been talking about this all year, the Rams are very much beatable. Goff flat out folds under pressure, not surprised at all that they lost last night and/or that he looked so bad.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I saw yesterday that 2 NFC wins in the last 4 clinches a spot outright. So I assume the same way, losses by the 7 loss teams would contribute to that magic number too? Carolina having 2 left with the Saints pretty much buries them, same with the Eagles going to the Rams. Redskins are done. Packers go to Chicago next week.

mrt144

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2rmhvsvj said:
Aros":2rmhvsvj said:
Carolina, Philly, Wash all lost. Wow. This game with the Vikings is

EPIC

Even if we lose we still have the 6 spot and will likely hold that spot at the very least the rest of the way.
I don't think it even matters. In fact, you might want to lose: The Rams might be easier than the Bears in the divisional round.

The last thing I ever want to see is some sumo-wrestling metagaming for seeding.

mrt144

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":1nlg6koe said:
The last 2 weeks Goff has taken a big step back. Either the Rams have been figured out or they were never great or someone is playing hurt. Either way they look far from unbeatable now.

No one is ever 'figured out' in a direct way that clamps down on their performance completely (The thought you leave dangling here is that one could expect the Rams to basically salt away their good season because the book is out on them)

The conceit of this thought lies in the reality that you can understand what another team does and not have the players or the base scheme to counter it. Why is the base scheme important here? Mostly because if you have to play away from your practice you've established over the season there's a good chance that your 2nd best or Plan B on how to deal with a specific opponent isn't going to be good enough. I think the Bears have the right poison to deal with the Rams and displayed that last night by knocking the wind out of the Rams rushing game and then overwhelming the Rams like a tsunami on passing downs. But not every team has that at their disposal or can orient their defense in that fashion.

I think it's reasonable to assume the Rams could lose another 2 games this season - but that'd still put them at 12-4 which in my estimation is a 'good' team even if they have a flawed defense and have run into the Bear so to speak.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Look, I hate the Rams more than anyone. But they are still damn good. I just don't think they are better than the Saints. And if the Saints keep that 1 seed, no way in hell the Rams beat them in New Orleans.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I know we don't have to win tonight, but I'd like to keep our 1-2 game lead and tie breaker lead on everyone else.

Lose and the margin for error in stubbing our toe god forbid in SF or against KC/Arizona is gone.

So just win tonight, and then we can get healthy and rest players if we need too down the stretch.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3rei64dq said:
I know we don't have to win tonight, but I'd like to keep our 1-2 game lead and tie breaker lead on everyone else.

Lose and the margin for error in stubbing our toe god forbid in SF or against KC/Arizona is gone.

So just win tonight, and then we can get healthy and rest players if we need too down the stretch.

Agreed. Maybe not technically a must win game but it would be a huge win for us.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Dallas isn't the same team they were in Week 3. Their defense has figured some things out and Amari Cooper has changed that entire offense. They will be difficult.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2gg3t2yt said:
Dallas isn't the same team they were in Week 3. Their defense has figured some things out and Amari Cooper has changed that entire offense. They will be difficult.

Gotta feel bad for Douglas on the Eagles - great spot to contest the play, actually contests the play and it pops up in the air perfectly...

We've all been him at some point, I think.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":34i3t8ky said:

Yep, Cooper has been huge, and Vander Esh has been a beast on defense.....................which has made their front seven very formidable.

If I'm picking one, going to Dallas or Chicago? I'm picking Chicago. Gimme some freezing temps for our run game and playing against Trubisky in his first playoff game over a far more balanced team in Dallas.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2i8sdipi said:

It's true that Cooper is helping their offense. Kudos to them for beefing up their D as well.

But are we the same team we were in game 3? We also have more experience, a lot of rushing yards, and it could be that our O-line will block well for our running game against them.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20akojcc said:

I understand your premise, and I want to keep the foot on the gas as much as the next guy, however:

with the rest of the NFC wildcard teams (save for Minnesota) literally pooping their pants the last month, we almost would have to lose out not to make the playoffs.

This team is a Lock at 9-7.

Almost a near lock at 8-8 honestly...unless Carolina sweeps the Saints or Philly wins out (unlikely)

So yes, big game, win win win....but due to the NFC dropping their shorts, it would take an EPIC collapse not to get in.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":jf306oev said:
The Hawks are a far cry from who they were week 3.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2av3m6ir said:

We don’t have too win, I agree 100% in terms of making the playoffs.

My personal issue is, we must beat “that ass”, we must do it in fine fashion.

If we can’t beat the Vikings @ Clink on MNF, we won’t progress past the wildcard round.

This game is as close to a “playoff” game as we’ve seen so far this season.

I’ve said multiple times, IMHO this is “Thee” measuring stick.

Yes, we can lose this game and still make it but what is the realistic prognosis if we lose.

GoHawks, beat the purple ass.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkpower":20qhv46i said:
Sgt. Largent":20qhv46i said:

I understand your premise, and I want to keep the foot on the gas as much as the next guy, however:

with the rest of the NFC wildcard teams (save for Minnesota) literally pooping their pants the last month, we almost would have to lose out not to make the playoffs.

Almost a near lock at 8-8 honestly...unless Carolina sweeps the Saints or Philly wins out (unlikely)

So yes, big game, win win win....but due to the NFC dropping their shorts, it would take an EPIC collapse not to get in.

Right, that's why my reasoning was more based around;

1. Bigger margin for error

2. Most importantly having the luxury of resting players, which is VERY rare for a WC team. If we want to have our best chance at getting a playoff win, then being able to rest guys like Fluker, Doug, Carson, etc then not having to win one or two more games down the stretch is important.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":s63ixobr said:
Hawkpower":s63ixobr said:
Sgt. Largent":s63ixobr said:

Right, that's why my reasoning was more based around;

1. Bigger margin for error

2. Most importantly having the luxury of resting players, which is VERY rare for a WC team. If we want to have our best chance at getting a playoff win, then being able to rest guys like Fluker, Doug, Carson, etc then not having to win one or two more games down the stretch is important.

Agreed, getting to go easily into the playoffs instead of scratching and clawing would be a huge boost.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fwtrt3eu said:
MontanaHawk05":fwtrt3eu said:

If I'm picking one, going to Dallas or Chicago? I'm picking Chicago. Gimme some freezing temps for our run game and playing against Trubisky in his first playoff game over a far more balanced team in Dallas.

I much prefer Dallas under the roof. Despite our great running attack, I'm not convinced we're a good bitter cold weather team. Russ is also seemingly at his best in moderate to mild weather.

We were 0-3 at Chi in the playoffs (yes that was Hass and yes I recall Russ beating Chi there in the regular season in '12) but while your point about young Trubisky is valid, Dallas matches up better for us. If Chi was able to shut down the Rams, I don't think that bodes as well for us than an opportunity to put up many points against Dallas. If Philly put up 23 at Dal, we can put up 30.

hawks85

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":sgcrnzy7 said:
That's a thing of beauty. Especially for a team that supposedly was going to win 4 games :lol:

Tonight is a playoff game, no other way to look at it. Can't wait to get to the stadium tonight, that place is going to be rockin' tonight :irishdrinkers:

Loving how wide open things are, no team is unbeatable, including the paper champ Rams. I like our chances at Dallas a lot more than Chicago. Esp. with the weather factor.
We are built for that cold weather with our run game and it’s as good as the top offenses and that bears defense. I strongly believe if we go back to Chicago we will win an ugly low scoring battle. Chicago’s defense is damn good. They did what no other team did this year, hold the Rams to 6 points and zero touchdowns. That’s impressive. Our run game is better than the Rams and I think we would steal a win. You take away some of those chunk plays on our defense and we are a top 10 defense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points, running game does travel. I just feel like we match up much better vs. the Cowpokes. But, I couldn't care less who we play, let's just get to the dance. :irishdrinkers:

Latest posts