11-5 Not A Stretch

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3jrz3kbh said:
pittpnthrs":3jrz3kbh said:
I said 8-8 this season and that certainly looks wrong going forward. I never thought the Oline would play as well as they are and that was the biggest question mark going in. Well, the proof is in the pudding. Cable was just that bad. Pleasantly surprised this season. Even if we take an early exit in the playoffs i'm ok. I never thought they would make it. Next season wont be as much fun because i'll have actual expectations. :D

Actually, you said 8-8 AT BEST, and that there was no way they would win more than eight games. :p

Quit rubbing it in Hawk Lol.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":w2f6snrc said:
hawknation2018":w2f6snrc said:
pittpnthrs":w2f6snrc said:
I said 8-8 this season and that certainly looks wrong going forward. I never thought the Oline would play as well as they are and that was the biggest question mark going in. Well, the proof is in the pudding. Cable was just that bad. Pleasantly surprised this season. Even if we take an early exit in the playoffs i'm ok. I never thought they would make it. Next season wont be as much fun because i'll have actual expectations. :D

Actually, you said 8-8 AT BEST, and that there was no way they would win more than eight games. :p

Alright. 8)

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Seymour":1w7qaqh4 said:
oldhawkfan":1w7qaqh4 said:
sutz":1w7qaqh4 said:
I didn't join much in the early season arguments about how good we'd be, and how many games we would win.

One thing I knew, neither Pete nor Wilson like to lose. A fire burns in their bellies, and they are good at getting those around them to share in the confidence and desire that it takes to win games. And that includes not over scrutinizing 'bad' games, nit picking things ad nauseum until it all falls apart. Nope, they look ahead. Sure, they analyze the last game, but they are quick to spot things that were just boneheaded screw-ups and one-offs that not much can be done about. Then they get busy figuring out the best way to coach up the guys who made mistakes and to attack the next team on the schedule.

Did I have my doubts? Sure, and those first two games didn't look too good, for sure. But the fact is, Pete has not had a non-winning season since his second year here, by which time he pretty much had the team he wanted in place. After that, we've been averaging 10 wins/season, especially with Russ at the helm. With 72 wins in 7 seasons, Russ is averaging more than 10 wins a year.

I pretty much always figured they would find a way to win 9 games, and now I'm not surprised that they could easily get to 10-11 wins.

It's what they do.

:229031_shrug:

So on the day that Russ hit 72 wins as a QB he passed for...72 yards? Things that make yo go hmmmmmmmmmm

Don't forget he is 72" tall.......with his cleats on. :lol:

I think that this means he will play for the Seahawks until he is 72. Then we can add too old to the too short, not black enough dialogue.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I don’t remember what my prediction for the record was, but my overall feeling was that we would take second place in the NFCW and be a bubble team for a WC, as Pete always has the team in the hunt. I figured they had an outside chance at the WC. Looks like they are better than I thought they would be.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Aros":3ec16aiw said:
Who could have ever thought that in September?

While I am not one to seek out cart in front of horses per se but it's hard not to think about the real possibility of winning out. The 49ers could seek revenge and we could legitimately under perform after all these emotional big games we've been winning. The Chiefs are - on paper - our toughest final task. Their offense will give everything our defense can handle at home. Anything short of the performance they had last night and it's an easy L. The Cardinals? Who cares what their record is? Throw it out when it comes to them inexplicably owning us in our own house in recent years, it's creepy.

Yet, something tells me this team has turned a corner. Emotional, mental, spiritual, what-have-you...A corner has been turned. We can win ugly games. We can win convincingly. Hell, we can win when our QB throws for 72 yards all game long with a 30-ish QB rating. Pound the rock, pound the rock, play stingy D...Wear the other team out.

That's winning football.

11-5? Not so laughable anymore.

It's true. I really is.

Schotty has brought something very different/entertaining/competent to the program.

And this young D, while far from perfect, sure play hard and that's a whole lot of fun to watch.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Our five losses look respectable with the benefit of hindsight.

#1) 3 point road loss @ Denver (6-7 AFC)
#2) 7 point road loss @ Chicago (9-4 #3 NFC)
#3) 2 point home loss to LAR (11-2 #2 NFC)
#4) 8 point home loss to LAC (10-3 #5 AFC)
#4) 5 point road loss to LAR (11-2 #2 NFC)

Our point differential this season (+74) is better than the 9-4 Patriots (+71).

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Polaris":2idn26v1 said:
I'd love us to go 11-5, but I still expect a loss vs the Chiefs in about two weeks.
If KC has their spot all lined up in the playoffs, don't be surprised they go easy on the second to last game of the year as they want to go balls out on the final one since they will be sitting at home during the first round.

You never know and I think we can do it either way regardless.

Time will tell I guess.

GO HAWKS!!!

JGreen79

Reaction score
AgentDib":733kevzh said:
Our five losses look respectable with the benefit of hindsight.

#1) 3 point road loss @ Denver (6-7 AFC)
#2) 7 point road loss @ Chicago (9-4 #3 NFC)
#3) 2 point home loss to LAR (11-2 #2 NFC)
#4) 8 point home loss to LAC (10-3 #5 AFC)
#4) 5 point road loss to LAR (11-2 #2 NFC)

Our point differential this season (+74) is better than the 9-4 Patriots (+71).

Add that the Broncos are nearly unbeatable(29-4 since 2002) at home in September even when they are bad, the losses aren't bad losses at all.

jachba

Reaction score
ivotuk":ou115cku said:
I'm on this bandwagon! KC is beatable with a good defense. A Ravens team with Lamar Jackson at the helm almost beat them!

A 2nd year QB from Texas Tech probably has no idea what he's coming in to at the Clink. He can throw one of those "No Look Passes" and we'll get it.

And they just might be resting players when they come here.

Your team is a nightmare matchup for the Chiefs. Your running game will give them fits and the defense's propensity for creating turnovers makes creates plenty of problems for Mahomes, who has a habit of throwing interceptions even at the best of times. Your defense also is good at open field tackles, which could go a long way towards neutralizing the Chiefs offense's habit of turning short passes into big plays.

While K.C. will have 10 days off after they play us, their offense is already beat up and will likely be more so after the showdown tomorrow night (Thursday). If they lose to the Chargers, coming into CenturyLink Field to play the Seahawks in primetime would be like going from the frying pan into the fire, especially if our team then beats the Ravens.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
jachba":ezk2z8rd said:
ivotuk":ezk2z8rd said:
I'm on this bandwagon! KC is beatable with a good defense. A Ravens team with Lamar Jackson at the helm almost beat them!

A 2nd year QB from Texas Tech probably has no idea what he's coming in to at the Clink. He can throw one of those "No Look Passes" and we'll get it.

Your team is a nightmare matchup for the Chiefs. Your running game will give them fits and the defense's propensity for creating turnovers makes creates plenty of problems for Mahomes, who has a habit of throwing interceptions even at the best of times. Your defense also is good at open field tackles, which could go a long way towards neutralizing the Chiefs offense's habit of turning short passes into big plays.

While K.C. will have 10 days off after they play us, their offense is already beat up and will likely be more so after the showdown tomorrow night (Thursday). If they lose to the Chargers, coming into CenturyLink Field to play the Seahawks in primetime would be like going from the frying pan into the fire, especially if our team then beats the Ravens.

An opposing Fan opinion I can agree with. December and January is where you test your mettle in this league.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1xkoi3od said:
Mad Dog":1xkoi3od said:
I'm not sure I've mentioned it but, I predicted 11-5 before the season started so.......

Picks or it didn't happen.

Don't see 11-5 in your post history.

Can't see how anyone saw this as an 11-5 schedule. We got a bit lucky with Jimmy G going down early for the year which eased our home stretch. But it was a bear of a schedule with a new DC, OL coach and OC and a loss of a ton of pro bowl talent. We stunk through the whole preseason and first 3 games of the regular season.

You either were a total pollyanna or high.

Cool story:

QuickLightning":1xkoi3od said:
Avril, Kam, Sherman, Richardson and Benett. That's a lot of really good players to lose from a defense.

The first 3 were missing when we destroyed the eventual SB champion Eagles so I have a lot of optimism for the upcoming season. I like all those players but I can see us overcoming these losses with a few shrewd moves.

I also see no way the offence, & especially the OL, isn't improved & more consistent unless Russell gets hurt. We should have been 11-5 last season with a kicker & is my prediction for this year.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146704&start=50

I've also never wavered from it:

hawknation2018":1xkoi3od said:
No one was predicting 12-4.

I predicted 11-5. We should be 4-2 right now IMO but I still have faith we can reach my preseason prediction.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149596

I'm already on record for 11-5 & I'm sticking to it. Our defence is just rounding into form & we're dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides so I'm loving it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149761

I predicted an 11-5 record before the season started on the premise that there was no way our offence & O-line couldn't possibly be worse & after 2 weeks I was doing the Homer Simpson "d'oh". I thought our defence had a chance to be really good but didn't think they'd be dominant like they have been but never thought they had to be for us to be good.

That being said, I have to agree Solari & Schotty deserve a big shout out for a job well done. :2thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149916

I'll stop there.

You never answered whether you were high or just a pollyanna ;)

But thanks for digging out the evidence. Still don't buy your reasoning given Walsh to Janikowski was not necessarily an upgrade. But good on you for the positive prediction.

However I doubt we run the table since we'll be resting starters after this weekend.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Janikowski is making almost 10% more of his FGs than Walsh (72% to 82%).

Also, Seahawks were hesitant to kick longer FGs last season because of Walsh’s accuracy problems. Seahawks only attempted one FG of 50+ yards in 2017.

So far this season, the Seahawks have attempted five 50+ yard FGs, and Janikowski has made three of them, which is a good rate at that distance.

Even though Janikowski has not been great, he is still a massive upgrade from Walsh.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3vkewqll said:
Hockey Guy":3vkewqll said:
I'll stop there.

But thanks for digging out the evidence. Still don't buy your reasoning given Walsh to Janikowski was not necessarily an upgrade. But good on you for the positive prediction.

However I doubt we run the table since we'll be resting starters after this weekend.

I do tend to drink so.......... :lol: :2thumbs:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Aros":1blgrnca said:
sutz":1blgrnca said:
I didn't join much in the early season arguments about how good we'd be, and how many games we would win.

One thing I knew, neither Pete nor Wilson like to lose. A fire burns in their bellies, and they are good at getting those around them to share in the confidence and desire that it takes to win games. And that includes not over scrutinizing 'bad' games, nit picking things ad nauseum until it all falls apart. Nope, they look ahead. Sure, they analyze the last game, but they are quick to spot things that were just boneheaded screw-ups and one-offs that not much can be done about. Then they get busy figuring out the best way to coach up the guys who made mistakes and to attack the next team on the schedule.

Did I have my doubts? Sure, and those first two games didn't look too good, for sure. But the fact is, Pete has not had a non-winning season since his second year here, by which time he pretty much had the team he wanted in place. After that, we've been averaging 10 wins/season, especially with Russ at the helm. With 72 wins in 7 seasons, Russ is averaging more than 10 wins a year.

I pretty much always figured they would find a way to win 9 games, and now I'm not surprised that they could easily get to 10-11 wins.

It's what they do.

:229031_shrug:

Astute analysis as usual old friend.

i will second that. It also didn't help that for what seems like the second or third time in the last 4 seasons that we started on the road with two games. maybe only twice but those games were against the following: Packers, Rams, Bears and Broncos. Both times the Hawks were 0-2 to start. making the ending a bit closer.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3d5hqnu0 said:

I'm curious why you think we'll be resting starters. Pete generally hasn't made a habit of that except for injury concerns or if we're are blowing a team out by 30 or more points at the start of the fourth quarter.

jachba

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":31t3aa1e said:
jachba":31t3aa1e said:
ivotuk":31t3aa1e said:

While K.C. will have 10 days off after they play us, their offense is already beat up and will likely be more so after the showdown tomorrow night (Thursday). If they lose to the Chargers, coming into CenturyLink Field to play the Seahawks in primetime would be like going from the frying pan into the fire, especially if our team tSeahawhen beats the Ravens.

An opposing Fan opinion I can agree with. December and January is where you test your mettle in this league.

Agreed. December and January are where the rubber meets the road. Being able to win the games that matter regardless of the circumstances and believing that your team can beat anyone on any given Sunday make the difference between serious contenders and pretenders. Anthony Lynn and Pete Carroll have their teams playing as if they can beat any potential opponent. The two teams I hear fans of playoff-bound teams in each conference mentioning as teams they don't want to face in the playoffs are the Seahawks and Chargers.

After what happened last night, a number of Chiefs' fans on ChiefsPlanet are unnerved at the prospect of their team having to go to CenturyLink Field to play your team, which is saying something because the members of that board have been extremely arrogant this year. There is a ton of pressure on the Chiefs now because a loss to the Seahawks combined with our team beating Baltimore means that the Chargers not only clinch the AFC West with a win in Denver, but also the No. 1 seed as well.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":tft1iudj said:
hawknation2018":tft1iudj said:
pittpnthrs":tft1iudj said:

Eh, that 8-8 still might happen