So Wait A Minute, A Win Sunday Doesn't Guarantee Playoffs?

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Nope.

If the Seahawks beat AZ, they are in, period.

If they beat KC (which doesn't do any good for their conference record), there is still the possibility that they could lose to AZ. If they lose to AZ and then Seattle and Washington both finish at 9-7, both Seattle and Washington would have 7-5 conference records.

The next tie breaker is performance against common opponents. They would also tie on that one, at 4-1. Next tiebreaker is strength of victory. Right now, Seattle is only very slightly ahead of Washington on that one. Like almost a tie. It would come down to how the teams that Seattle beat perform, relative to the teams that Washington beat, over the next two weeks. Looking at the respective teams in question, Seattle would probably have a better chance of winning this one but anything could happen.

So, long story short, a win against KC will put Seattle in the playoffs but only if Washington or Minnesota lose this weekend. Otherwise, it goes to week 17.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ah I see. Thanks for clearing it up. Damn Tuesday Eggnog. :p

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":15j9chk1 said:
Nope.

If they beat KC (which doesn't do any good for their conference record), there is still the possibility that they could lose to AZ. If they lose to AZ and then Seattle and Washington both finish at 9-7, both Seattle and Washington would have 7-5 conference records.

The next tie breaker is performance against common opponents. They would also tie on that one, at 4-1. Next tiebreaker is strength of victory. Right now, Seattle is only very slightly ahead of Washington on that one. Like almost a tie. It would come down to how the teams that Seattle beat perform, relative to the teams that Washington beat, over the next two weeks. Looking at the respective teams in question, Seattle would probably have a better chance of winning this one but anything could happen.

So, long story short, a win against KC will put Seattle in the playoffs but only if Washington or Minnesota lose this weekend. Otherwise, it goes to week 17.

So essentially, a win Sunday puts our odds at 99.9999999% instead of 100.

And if Philly and Washington lose Sunday, we are in anyway.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":22e8h3iv said:
Silver Hawk":22e8h3iv said:
Nope.

So essentially, a win Sunday puts our odds at 99.9999999% instead of 100.

And if Philly and Washington lose Sunday, we are in anyway.

I don’t know what the odds would be if it came down to Strength of Victory but I don’t think they’d be enormously favorable. It would be very close. It’s razor close now. Wouldn’t take much to swing it. The Seahawks (and Redskins) would be relying on the outcomes of games involving mostly losing teams.

On the other hand, the odds of Washington losing to TN or Philly must be quite high. I’d take those odds.

Polaris

Reaction score
I would say the odds of Washington losing out are extremely high (80%+) given that Washington doesn't have an NFL caliber QB. If you doubt me, go watch tape of the Washington-Jacksonville game which by all rights Washington should have lost (and Jacksonville is a horrid team).

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Polaris":1d3blbd8 said:
I would say the odds of Washington losing out are extremely high (80%+) given that Washington doesn't have an NFL caliber QB. If you doubt me, go watch tape of the Washington-Jacksonville game which by all rights Washington should have lost (and Jacksonville is a horrid team).

Exactly

hoxrox

Reaction score
If we lose out, Vikings win one more, and Eagles win out, then in that scenario, we miss the playoffs.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Polaris":uwoti1ir said:

Probably so-they’ve lost 3 out of 4 since Smith got hurt. Then again, we have only a 1 game lead over them with 2 to play and their defense will be competing hard as will Philly who seem to be putting it all together. So we best just take care of business against Arizona and hopefully play KC tough. One thing we don’t want is to be limping into the playoffs. Ending the regular season with everything clicking is what I hope to see.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
hoxrox":3w2l6zj0 said:
If we lose out, Vikings win one more, and Eagles win out, then in that scenario, we miss the playoffs.

I suppose we should if we lose out.

Polaris

Reaction score
hoxrox":116fdndt said:

Correct, but that combination seems most unlikely. First of all as I recall, Seattle hasn't lost three straight since 2011, and I don't think it will happen now (regardless of KC). Secondly, the Eagles have to play the Texans this week and the Texans while overrated (IMHO) are no joke and are playing for a first round bye and the division. Finally, the Vikings are likely to beat Detroit, but Chicago will be playing for at least a shot at a first round bye....and they are division rivals. This is a game the Vikings could easily lose.

Basically if what you say happens, then Seattle probably deserves to stay home, but it seems most unlikely to me.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's quite simple. Regardless of this Sunday, if we can't beat the shitty Cardinals with playoffs on the line AT HOME then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Aros":1pad2qmm said:
It's quite simple. Regardless of this Sunday, if we can't beat the shitty Cardinals with playoffs on the line AT HOME then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.

Essentially yes.

This weekend is about seeding..

Real interesting battle is mn and philly

If philly wins out, mn has to win out as well, or they miss the playoffs. Seattle could get the 5th seed if they finish 9-7, beating the Cards, and philly or mn dont win out.

Philly hosts the Texans then at Washington.

Mn is at Detroit than host Chicago

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
People are way over thinking this. We are in the playoffs. There is a reason we had a 97% chance of making the playoffs after the Minnesota win.

sdog1981

Reaction score
We will know after the Early games on Sunday. If Houston and Tennessee win the Seahawks are in.

Polaris

Reaction score
sdog1981":y489mnlb said:
We will know after the Early games on Sunday. If Houston and Tennessee win the Seahawks are in.

Not quite technically. Even if both Washington and Philly lose (which is what you posit), Seattle would still have to win to be in OR Minny would have to lose (to Detroit) as well. What Seattle has to avoid is a tie with Washington without beating Arizona.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Polaris":iqu0ealo said:
sdog1981":iqu0ealo said:

Not quite technically. Even if both Washington and Philly lose (which is what you posit), Seattle would still have to win to be in OR Minny would have to lose (to Detroit) as well. What Seattle has to avoid is a tie with Washington without beating Arizona.

8 win Washington is in over 8 win Seahawks due to win percentage in common games. I don't think I've seen that one before.