Pocic?

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
I would not cut Pocic just yet. Last year he made the all rookie team. I think he looks more like a tackle than a guard. He was highly rated in the SEC. BTW, he actually was not a Cable pick. Schneider and Pete picked him w/o any input from Cable....which is why I am more hopeful that he can amount to more.

bighawk

Reaction score
He maybe better suited at tackle than guard. I have said all along he doesn't have the girth to handle being a guard.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Did you all see Pete’s comment about Pocic’s play: “He didn’t work out very well”.

Don’t recall Pete being that direct very often at all, about an individual player’s performance.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I just find it really odd how many chances fans give Pocic and how many excuses they give for his sucktitude but not for Ifedi. Weird double standard.

Pocic was beyond bad yesterday and he’s always been bad. He hasn’t shown that he’s physically capable of playing at an NFL level. I thought Chris Gray was his ceiling but it looks like that was too ambitious.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3uz3rq20 said:
Easy to see why he was a healthy scratch for a few games this season.

Another terrible draft pick.
One of Cables leftovers I am sure.

I am hoping the guy that was inactive, (Hunt?), is a major upgrade in reality and is ready to go as it sounded like Simmons knee issue may be worse that we want to hear from Pete's presser earlier today.

Time will tell.

GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A-Dog":1u2cil3i said:
I just find it really odd how many chances fans give Pocic and how many excuses they give for his sucktitude but not for Ifedi. Weird double standard.

1) People didn't give Ifedi chances. We were all ready to have him cut by the end of last year, even into Week 2 of this year. You have to be blind in order to have missed that. The hate was everywhere.

We give him chances now because he's improved under Solari.

2) Pocic is a second-year player with less than two years of actual playing time. You'll have to forgive us for following conventional wisdom that such players don't deserve the bust label yet.

Sac

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2hdijqnv said:
A-Dog":2hdijqnv said:

1) People didn't give Ifedi chances. We were all ready to have him cut by the end of last year, even into Week 2 of this year. You have to be blind in order to have missed that. The hate was everywhere.

2) Pocic is a second-year player with less than two years of actual playing time. You'll have to forgive us for following conventional wisdom that such players don't deserve the bust label yet.

This must be some alternate reality stuff happening here because Montana is defying the award that was named after him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3680iyil said:
A-Dog":3680iyil said:
Anyone on the practice squad we can promote?

Pocic’s free pass has officially expired.

I'm glad nobody put you in charge of the careers of Germain Ifedi or Justin Britt.

One game off the bench against one of the league's best defensive tackles. Of course he's going to struggle.

Agreed.

Although the point still stands and is valid. Simmons has virtually no real reason to leapfrog Pocic. I mean he has almost no college experience and was already discarded by a team despite being on a rookie deal.

So while I am not shocked he struggled given the circumstances he fell into during the game. I am shocked that Simmons, a street UFA we picked up with zero experience, is that much better than a guy in his second year in the program.

The only reasonable conclusion I can arrive at, is that Pocic presents such a horrifyingly low bar to clear, that UFA rookies can take his job with extreme ease.

I hope that it clicks for him in his third offseason. I don't expect he'll be on the squad next year when Jamarco Jones is in the mix if it doesn't. And it's likely we add another OL player next year too. We have every single year. It's going to be a tough group to crack for the 9th/10th OL player on this roster today.

A-Dog

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ikvyfv2 said:
A-Dog":1ikvyfv2 said:

It's weird how you are acting personally attacked by my posts in this thread. So much so that you are actually completely whiffing on the meaning of what I said:

MontanaHawk05":1ikvyfv2 said:
A-Dog":1ikvyfv2 said:

THAT IS MY POINT. YOU ARE AGREEING WITH ME. There was no patience, no support, no benefit of the doubt given to Ifedi. For Pocic, the opposite has been true (as evidenced by this thread, and your posts in it).

Ifedi = fan hate
Pocic = fan love

That's my point. Two high Cable draft picks that have struggled, treated quite differently by the fans through those struggles.

A-Dog

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3fqs80hc said:
A-Dog":3fqs80hc said:

I'm glad nobody put you in charge of the careers of Germain Ifedi or Justin Britt.

One game off the bench against one of the league's best defensive tackles. Of course he's going to struggle.

Except he also had 11 starts last year when he was terrible (and the OL as a whole was terrible). So it's not like this is the only game he's being judged on.

Coming out it was his experience (4-year starter in the SEC) and versatility that were his plusses. This was not a Sweezy/Fant long term conversion project. Any rookie will struggle but Pocic was supposed to be ahead of the game in terms of technique and fundamentals.

He was beaten by power regularly as a rookie, often quite badly. He had a year to get stronger but has shown little improvement in that regard. Almost all the way in to his 2nd year he's a 3rd string guard who probably won't even be 3rd string much longer.

Yes, he could pull a Britt and become a decent center in time, but he's far behind where Britt was at this point in Britt's career - Britt started every game his first two years. Also, he's behind Britt and probably Hunt at center. It's clear at this point that he does not have the functional strength to play any position other than that, and he'll have to work hard to beat out Hunt next season.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
A-Dog":t21lu5fs said:

Pocic was beyond bad yesterday and he’s always been bad. He hasn’t shown that he’s physically capable of playing at an NFL level. I thought Chris Gray was his ceiling but it looks like that was too ambitious.

For me it’s pretty simple.

Ifedi was a first round draft pick, #31. Pocic was a 2nd, at #58. More was expected, sooner. This is Ifedi’s 3rd year, Pocic’s 2nd.

Ifedi has many datapoints that demonstrated just how bad he was playing in 2016 and 2017. He led the entire league in penalties last year, with a whopping 16. An apparent total lack of discipline. Who knows how many hurries, hits and sacks he caused Wilson. We’re lucky he didn’t get Wilson disembowelled. His ineptitude was front and center for most of his first two years. On the other hand, Pocic hasn’t really done much one way or the other. Not too noticeable. At least until this past Sunday.

I didn’t think it was possible but Ifedi has actually played much better this year. Kudos to him. I was sure he would have been cut before this year. Wrong.

Now, I certainly have my doubts about Pocic. He was a disaster on Sunday. Some more datapoints like that and he’ll have nowhere to hide from the critics.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Mad Dog":ie24lr3b said:
Are we really fussing about the 3rd string guard and that he's not good? Of course he's not good. If he was good then he'd be starting or at least backing up Fluker.

Pocic will likely end up being a decent backup at centre in the end. That seems to be where all this is headed. Probably why he was a centre in college.

No we are fussing that a 2nd round pick that started all of last year looks like he doesn't even belong on the field, smell the roses man

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A-Dog":3kj4v1sx said:
MontanaHawk05":3kj4v1sx said:

Except he also had 11 starts last year when he was terrible (and the OL as a whole was terrible).

Still nowhere near enough for the bust label.

Coming out it was his experience (4-year starter in the SEC) and versatility that were his plusses. This was not a Sweezy/Fant long term conversion project.

Even guys who played OL in college still get two years of playing at least before they're busts.

Yes, he could pull a Britt and become a decent center in time, but he's far behind where Britt was at this point in Britt's career

Britt wasn't a good player either right up until his third season. Nobody here thought that.

Britt started every game his first two years.

So did Ifedi. That's not a compliment on a Cable O-line.

Also, he's behind Britt and probably Hunt at center.

Both Hunt and Pocic have been inactive at times this year, so I wouldn't stand so hard on that.

You may end up being correct about Pocic, but you're not correct right now. Your opinions seem awfully impatient and black/white - that's all I'm saying.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hunt has been phenomenal at center the past two preseasons. And he's playing on a 7th-round salary. People calling to cut him need to go take some selfies for Twitter.

A-Dog

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":30qyio2i said:
Your opinions seem awfully impatient and black/white - that's all I'm saying.

I mean you're not wrong here - I am being a bit hyperbolic because it bothers a lot me Pocic hasn't received the same level of criticism/impatience/vitriol that Ifedi has, and this is my attempt to balance that out.

I do honestly think that Pocic has been arguably the worst performer out of anyone who has started on the O-Line the past couple of seasons, that he is contributing much less than was expected of him, and that it's unlikely he'll ever be more than a decent backup. I'd say it's 50/50 at best that he's on the roster at the start of next season.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A-Dog":1quhlkxh said:
MontanaHawk05":1quhlkxh said:
Your opinions seem awfully impatient and black/white - that's all I'm saying.
I do honestly think that Pocic has been arguably the worst performer out of anyone who has started on the O-Line the past couple of seasons, that he is contributing much less than was expected of him, and that it's unlikely he'll ever be more than a decent backup. I'd say it's 50/50 at best that he's on the roster at the start of next season.

Fair enough, but backups who can play multiple positions have tended to have a lot of staying power on this line, and probably would on a lot of others.

He was bad on Sunday - anyone would be after coming off the bench after a year and finding DeForest Buckner in front of him - but given his versaility and the fact that both Fluker and Simmons have severe injury histories, I don't think Pocic's going anywhere. In fact, quite frankly, if Pocic ISN'T the guy, RG needs to be getting looked at as a draft need now. Again.

Jville

Reaction score
It's a shame we can't confine these emotional game day out bursts to the dedicated game day forum thru self discipline. More often than not the same angry mob targets some lineman for game to game outrage ...... each and every year. Heck 3 out of the 5 current starters have been called out and mercilessly targeted by the angry mob at one time or another. Such manufactured outrage springs from its authors emotional causation.

From time to time they are going to get a little too aggressive with hands. The following video segment speaks to this ........
[youtube]a81WcesQDOU[/youtube]

Latest posts