QB Paxton Lynch signed by Seahawks: Furness

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawker76":2dzeybzn said:
Dan McGwire, 6-8/240, 16th overall pick, 50% comp, 745 yds, 2td/6int, couldn't beat out Stan Gelbaugh & Kelly Stouffer.

Paxton Lynch, 6-7/245, 26th overall pick, 61% comp, 792 yds, 4td/4int, couldn't beat out Chad Kelly & Kevin Hogan.

I wish the guy luck, there may be UDFA competition who aren't distracted by video games.

I think the "work ethic" and "video gamed too much" thing is overblown. Either a player comes in and buys into the work ethic and culture of the team, or he doesn't.

So if the Bronco fans, players and media want to use these excuses as to why Lynch didn't work out, then IMO that's sour grapes. When's the last time the Broncos developed a good QB? Elway? Maybe they should turn the mirror around with the Lynch failure.

It's on the organization, and we have one of the best cultures and work ethic locker rooms in the league. That's not saying Lynch will work out, but I'm not worried about his work ethic, he knows this is his last chance, he's GOING to bust his ass.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":pwwdaqik said:
I remember this board going into meltdown when we signed Brady Quinn. What is wrong with you people?

Don't you remember how many of our losses were directly attributable to Brady Quinn?!?

:mrgreen:

Rat

Reaction score
I love taking chances on guys with great measurables, and Paxton has elite measurables.

That being said, the lack of work ethic he showed in Denver was an absolute embarrassment. Somebody was obviously going to be the next to take a chance on him, and I'm surprised it's us, based on what we have valued in the past. He's a first round pick who was beaten out for both the starting and backup jobs by 7th rounders. I've never seen a player who hasn't done something egregious off the field be so hated by his home team fan base. He has shown to be a guy who would rather play Fortnite than become the paragon of a student of the game.

I'm cool with it, but then again, if I was running the team, we'd look like the Bengals of a few years back who seemed to have every questionable player in the league. Some guys wake up after hitting rock bottom; I hope he is one of them. He should have no excuses of why things went so wrong in Denver. It was 100% on him.

Jville

Reaction score
Seahawker76":1hi12ch7 said:
Dan McGwire, 6-8/240, 16th overall pick, 50% comp, 745 yds, 2td/6int, couldn't beat out Stan Gelbaugh & Kelly Stouffer.

Paxton Lynch, 6-7/245, 26th overall pick, 61% comp, 792 yds, 4td/4int, couldn't beat out Chad Kelly & Kevin Hogan.

I wish the guy luck, there may be UDFA competition who aren't distracted by video games.

Many fans don't handle disappointments in #1 draft picks well. They can get rather ugly about it. We have certainly seen plenty of demonstrations of that behavior here on this forum.

The mention of Dan McGwire and Paxton Lynch reminds me of the criticism directed at " The Big Unit" ..... Randy Johnson. Some said he was too big and too long. Critics said he would never get it all under control and throw with precision of a more compact and shorter armed pitcher. After initially struggling in Montreal, Seattle traded for him and committed to his development. Johnson continued to work at his craft and had his break out year in Seattle. He went on to have a monster career as an all time great.

It reminded me that being the second or third team along a players development curve can sometimes pay off in a really big way! There is nobody that works harder at his craft than Russell Wilson. Paxton Lynch picked the right guy on the right team to learn and grow with.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seems like McGough just wanted to go back home. I don't see any other reason why the Hawks would just let him walk so easy. It may just be a simple as he didn’t want to be here, which is a shame. Kid has rail gun for an arm.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Jville":29zr4kyr said:
Seahawker76":29zr4kyr said:

Many fans don't handle disappointments in #1 draft picks well. They can get rather ugly about it. We have certainly seen plenty of demonstrations of that behavior here on this forum.

The mention of Dan McGwire and Paxton Lynch reminds me of the criticism directed at " The Big Unit" ..... Randy Johnson. Some said he was too big and too long. Critics said he would never get it all under control and throw with precision of a more compact and shorter armed pitcher. After initially struggling in Montreal, Seattle traded for him and committed to his development. Johnson continued to work at his craft and had his break out year in Seattle. He went on to have a monster career as an all time great.

It reminded me that being the second or third team along a players development curve can sometimes pay off in a really big way! There is nobody that works harder at his craft than Russell Wilson. Paxton Lynch picked the right guy on the right team to learn and grow with.

You are using my post as an example of getting ugly towards a player?, factually pointed is more like it. You are correct in that I never handled these 1st round picks very well, Aaron Curry, Lawrence Jackson, Kelly Jennings, Chris Spencer, Marcus Tubbs, Jerramy Stevens, Koren Robinson, Chris McIntosh, Lamar King, Rick Mirer and Dan McGwire. Your hopeful comparison of Randy Johnson to P. Lynch would be quite a reach in terms of development. Ironically it was the Randy Johnson trade to Houston (and a bunch of other boneheaded trades) that made me stop following the Mariners since 98'. Paxton Lynch is a cheap camp arm who might be used as leverage to keep Hundley's price tag down a bit. I guess there's always hope, but in this case I'll stick with my negative and sometimes ugly mindset. LOL.

chris98251

Reaction score
When Lynch can throw a 100 mile plus fast ball with a football compare Johnson to Lynch, or blow a pigeon up in flight with a Football.

[youtube]4vgn1pjbYlw[/youtube]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":n68sdgqw said:
Seems like McGough just wanted to go back home. I don't see any other reason why the Hawks would just let him walk so easy. It may just be a simple as he didn’t want to be here, which is a shame. Kid has rail gun for an arm.

I see it as McGough wanted to go to a team where he could legitimately compete for the starting job.........and he's got that in Jacksonville.

Good for him, and good luck. That wasn't happening here for him, probably ever.

Jville

Reaction score
Seahawker76":1kyu1ozx said:
Jville":1kyu1ozx said:
Seahawker76":1kyu1ozx said:

You are using my post as an example of getting ugly towards a player?, factually pointed is more like it. You are correct in that I never handled these 1st round picks very well, Aaron Curry, Lawrence Jackson, Kelly Jennings, Chris Spencer, Marcus Tubbs, Jerramy Stevens, Koren Robinson, Chris McIntosh, Lamar King, Rick Mirer and Dan McGwire. Your hopeful comparison of Randy Johnson to P. Lynch would be quite a reach in terms of development. Ironically it was the Randy Johnson trade to Houston (and a bunch of other boneheaded trades) that made me stop following the Mariners since 98'. Paxton Lynch is a cheap camp arm who might be used as leverage to keep Hundley's price tag down a bit. I guess there's always hope, but in this case I'll stick with my negative and sometimes ugly mindset. LOL.

My apologies. It wasn't my intention to call out your post. And in referencing how we handle 1st round disappointments, I was thinking of all of us collectively in Denver, in Seattle and else where.

Seahawker

Reaction score
No problem Jville, it would be fantastic if Lynch turned it around. I guess our littered history of disappointing 1st round picks and the Randy Johnson trade are sore spots we all grimace at. If I ever see Paxton holding a clipboard on the sidelines I might snap. Video games & cell phones suck.

Jville

Reaction score
I have to admit. I have silently rooted for Schneider to trade away the annual 1st round pick for a couple of years now ..... although I am becoming more public about it. The anguish of disappointment can persevere and drag on for years.

I think this forum is far better off without 1st round picks. I guess my sentiment is now public

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2yesphl3 said:
chris98251":2yesphl3 said:
Tin Foil Hat theory.

They are trading Wilson and need a QB, Paxton is a first rounder that everyone says you have to have to win. It will open up the passing game since he can see to throw the slant patterns over the middle and increase our pass to run ratio. :p
That is one thing that we don't have and it really sucks.

You also have a qb who can run, doesn't throw picks and is good in the fourth quarter.

Its just silly to me because every QB has flaws. You act like ours is insurmountable

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1n9dmcur said:
jmahon316":1n9dmcur said:
Yeah but in my opinion, McGough played better in the preseason than Hundley has, I feel like he had a bigger ceiling yet the Hawks stashed him to the PS and gave up another pick for Hundley...I'm just frustrated at the whole situation
The whole Hundley thing still chaps my ass. What a stupid, unnecessary move. Why does John love dealing 5th round picks for guys who are 3rd and 4th stringers? Hundley, Kelcie McCray, Dewey freaking McDonald!

Hundley is much preferable to Austin Davis and McCray started a bunch of games for us and was okay

IndyHawk

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1ldpywc6 said:
IndyHawk":1ldpywc6 said:
chris98251":1ldpywc6 said:
Tin Foil Hat theory.

They are trading Wilson and need a QB, Paxton is a first rounder that everyone says you have to have to win. It will open up the passing game since he can see to throw the slant patterns over the middle and increase our pass to run ratio. :p

You also have a qb who can run, doesn't throw picks and is good in the fourth quarter.

Its just silly to me because every QB has flaws. You act like ours is insurmountable
Oh I'm well aware that every QB isn't perfect..
What happens when he can't run?It's starting to happen..Anyway
I just commented on another post and it is true so try not to get
upset..Lynch probaly isn't any threat to even make the team.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
IndyHawk":16u33h80 said:
WestcoastSteve":16u33h80 said:
IndyHawk":16u33h80 said:
chris98251":16u33h80 said:
Tin Foil Hat theory.

Oh I'm well aware that every QB isn't perfect..
What happens when he can't run?It's starting to happen..Anyway
I just commented on another post and it is true so try not to get
upset..Lynch probaly isn't any threat to even make the team.

Even when he stops being a straight ahead runner (heck he is now) -- he still has great elusiveness. It's more about his foot-work than pure athleticism (don't get me wrong he's a good athlete).

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Seahawker76":2go3otm6 said:

According to the stats you provided, Lynch is better than McGwire. He has to be more mobile. At this time of the year, I don’t really care who they sign to futures contracts. It’s really nothing more than kicking the tires and checking out the comfortability and if they are a fit. For those that really pay attention, how many of these signings are even part of the training camp roster? I’ll give you a hint. Not many. The real off season roster building begins in March with free agency and concludes with the draft in late April.

chris98251

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":19y4edan said:
Seahawker76":19y4edan said:

According to the stats you provided, Lynch is better than McGwire. He has to be more mobile. At this time of the year, I don’t really care who they sign to futures contracts. It’s really nothing more than kicking the tires and checking out the comfortability and if they are a fit. For those that really pay attention, how many of these signings are even part of the training camp roster? I’ll give you a hint. Not many. The real off season roster building begins in March with free agency and concludes with the draft in late April.

Then again comparing McGwire and Paxton is a lot like comparing a Dog turd and a Cat turd, both turds.

olyfan63

Reaction score
So Paxton Lynch is Ryan Leaf 2.0, with Leaf's work ethic, but without the drug issues, narcissism, and general asshole-ness?

How many watched Ryan Leaf play in college for WSU? Leaf was an *amazing* college QB. He literally willed his Cougs team to win on numerous occasions. Even one of the rare few WSU QBs to win an Apple Cup.
The way the guy who watched Lynch play in college describes his play at Memphis... sounds so much like Ryan Leaf at WSU. So Paxton has had a Ryan-Leaf-esque NFL career so far, questions about his motivation, dedication, etc. However, I'll go so far as to say Paxton is no Ryan Leaf. For one, Leaf was not very mobile. For two, Lynch seems to not have quite as many destructive character flaws as Leaf, so a better bet as a reclamation project.

I was disappointed to see McGough leave... I think he will wind up playing in some real games and doing well for Jacksonville next season. That said, Lynch seems like a better bet overall, and has faced already NFL defenses in real games. If anyone can coach Paxton Lynch up as a reclamation project, the Seattle staff can. This will be interesting to watch.