The Hits Against PC/Schotty Keep Coming

Jville

Reaction score
Seymour":241lv3rj said:
mrt144":241lv3rj said:
Ummm, I have volunteered my time to the homeless as recently as December - what a flaccid self promoting non point to just say you find me tiresome.

Oh no there is a point. His point is to show how much better he is than others. :pukeface:

I'll refer you to Pete Carroll. His message is very clear.

chris98251

Reaction score
mrt144":1mlibtgw said:
KiwiHawk":1mlibtgw said:
mrt144":1mlibtgw said:
This is the perfect time and place for me to own my feelings and thoughts on the matter. Understanding the basis for my consternation might just save everyone even more self indulgent posts down the road. I don't need you guys to tell me this, I need to work through it on my own and hopefully pursue it in a way that gets chuckle or two. It's the freaking off season - what else is there to do?
So it's either agree with you or plod through more self-indulgent, entitlement-based exposition?

You had a somewhat more thoughtful response at a certain point that I liked and ran with it. You didn't agree with me, you don't agree with me, I don't expect you to agree with me, and I don't care if you do agree with me or not. I care that you keep probing at my thoughts and have a laugh or two along the way to understand why I have the opinions and desires I do.

I have undercut my own opinions and arguments numerous times in the hope of conveying that I am self indulgent (because I like to write, believe it or not) but not self important. There is a distinction and I wish I did a better job of making that clear to you but I didn't.

And you know why I've gone to great self-indulgent lengths? Because you specifically, among others, have taken to beating a strawman likeness of me instead of actually engaging me and understanding some of the rationales in play. I'm a curious dude, you're acting like I have all the answers (wrong ones but ones all of them none the less) and am seriously put out by my diktats not being carried out by the team. I'm not - I'm frustrated at times like anyone. I don't tend to share when I'm happy because I tend to exhibit happiness only during the game when I let my brain off the hook from thinking about the game in terms of a game wholly. When I'm not watching, I put on my thinking and analysis cap. I'm a weird nerd, I admit it, treat me like I'm a weird nerd, not some entitled football bro who only accepts my vision as true and is seriously put out by it and will physically fight you for not wanting to see play action more on first down.

For a bunch of dudes that self select to talk football, the curiosity of why we arrive to the thoughts seems completely bereft here at times, like some of you think that your opinions on football are self contained and there's no rhyme or reason why we feel the things we do in relation to football. Some of you are super basic, but please please please, if you find my verbosity off putting to the extent that every reply is a variation of "shut up", just put me on "foe" and be done with it.

I swear, If I wrote a paper on my relationship with Chocolate or something frivolous some of you would be like "Why are you so mad at chocolate, bro!? Chocolate is great, everyone knows this" mistaking my thorough, if not silly, opinions as entitled and commanding chocolate to up its game lest I boo chocolate forever. I'm not the adversary you want me to be or imagine. I know that a lot of conversation on the internet is couched in adversarial terms but that's not me and maybe you'd enjoy my posts more if you stopped reading them that way.

So what kind of Chocolate are you at odds with Dark, White, regular, imported from a certain place, Hershey's Nestles ? Enquiring minds want to know :p

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":3bidva1u said:
mrt144":3bidva1u said:
KiwiHawk":3bidva1u said:
mrt144":3bidva1u said:
This is the perfect time and place for me to own my feelings and thoughts on the matter. Understanding the basis for my consternation might just save everyone even more self indulgent posts down the road. I don't need you guys to tell me this, I need to work through it on my own and hopefully pursue it in a way that gets chuckle or two. It's the freaking off season - what else is there to do?
So it's either agree with you or plod through more self-indulgent, entitlement-based exposition?

You had a somewhat more thoughtful response at a certain point that I liked and ran with it. You didn't agree with me, you don't agree with me, I don't expect you to agree with me, and I don't care if you do agree with me or not. I care that you keep probing at my thoughts and have a laugh or two along the way to understand why I have the opinions and desires I do.

I have undercut my own opinions and arguments numerous times in the hope of conveying that I am self indulgent (because I like to write, believe it or not) but not self important. There is a distinction and I wish I did a better job of making that clear to you but I didn't.

And you know why I've gone to great self-indulgent lengths? Because you specifically, among others, have taken to beating a strawman likeness of me instead of actually engaging me and understanding some of the rationales in play. I'm a curious dude, you're acting like I have all the answers (wrong ones but ones all of them none the less) and am seriously put out by my diktats not being carried out by the team. I'm not - I'm frustrated at times like anyone. I don't tend to share when I'm happy because I tend to exhibit happiness only during the game when I let my brain off the hook from thinking about the game in terms of a game wholly. When I'm not watching, I put on my thinking and analysis cap. I'm a weird nerd, I admit it, treat me like I'm a weird nerd, not some entitled football bro who only accepts my vision as true and is seriously put out by it and will physically fight you for not wanting to see play action more on first down.

For a bunch of dudes that self select to talk football, the curiosity of why we arrive to the thoughts seems completely bereft here at times, like some of you think that your opinions on football are self contained and there's no rhyme or reason why we feel the things we do in relation to football. Some of you are super basic, but please please please, if you find my verbosity off putting to the extent that every reply is a variation of "shut up", just put me on "foe" and be done with it.

I swear, If I wrote a paper on my relationship with Chocolate or something frivolous some of you would be like "Why are you so mad at chocolate, bro!? Chocolate is great, everyone knows this" mistaking my thorough, if not silly, opinions as entitled and commanding chocolate to up its game lest I boo chocolate forever. I'm not the adversary you want me to be or imagine. I know that a lot of conversation on the internet is couched in adversarial terms but that's not me and maybe you'd enjoy my posts more if you stopped reading them that way.

So what kind of Chocolate are you at odds with Dark, White, regular, imported from a certain place, Hershey's Nestles ? Enquiring minds want to know :p

I generally like chocolate that is Dark (like 60% Cocoa to 80%) and has fruity or earthy notes - something that compliments and supports the notes in coffee I also like while being a sweet contrast to the bitterness of coffee. White chocolate is only suitable for holiday beverages and the occasional desert.

In general I prefer chocolate that is sourced from Africa because they tend to have those earthy and fruity notes but it's not an integral thing and basically any place that can produce chocolate in quantities sufficient for mass export have something that I'll enjoy. I really do like just having a square or two a day with my first cup of coffee, then having a cigarette afterwards.

AND THANK YOU FOR ASKING :D :irishdrinkers:

A-Dog

Reaction score
Article is dumb, and I’ll tell you why.

The whole thing is built on this false premise: “Basically, the argument for the running game is that it is safer and that it is likely to result in third and manageable.” It attempts to prove this by calling out avg distance on 3rd down, conversion success on 3rd and one, etc. This is dumb dumb dumb. It ignores three more important stats that reflect Pete’s philosophies and the reasons for his success:

1. Turnovers. The Seahawks led the NFL in fewest giveaways as well as turnover differential.

2. Time of possession. The Seahawks were 8th in the league.

3. 4th quarter scoring. “Can you win the game in the first quarter??” Seahawks were 2nd overall.

So, if you want to disagree with the run-first Philosophy, fine. I think the offense should be more balanced and less predictable. But don’t try to claim that the offense isn’t achieving exactly what its set out to achieve with some really dumb 3rd-and-one stat that is a serious reach on the part of the author.

Pete wants to hold on to the ball, wear the other team out, lean on the defense, and win the game in the final quarter. It might not be the best strategy but the Seahawks are executing it well.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Except they weren't executing it well at all in the playoffs and Pete completely failed to figure it out until it was desperation time.

hawk45

Reaction score
Jville":1bstk5zp said:
From time to time a post appears whose content redirects to a narration of it's author's feelings of reflection and sometimes self absorption. Although, such confessions may be useful for an author's diary or personal therapist. There is a time and place for everything. Most of us are attracted to this forum because of our over arching interest in it's subject .... the Seattle Seahawks.

Just a well meaning observation accompanied with a reminder,

Jville

I just now returned from delivering "wheels on meals" deliveries to local seniors in need.

With regards to what else is there to do, there are so many in need that go wanting for help from others. Too many Infants, children and elderly go wanting for food and clothing and shelter .... especially this time of year. Clean water and proper sewerage solutions go wanting for attention. We are surrounded by so many needs and so little help. Volunteering provides huge rewards. Everyone can supplement and fill their days with meaningful contributions ........ just like Russell Wilson and other Seahawks who volunteer as a way of life.

It's in keeping with becoming "All IN" as a Seahawk ...... helping other become the best they can be ..... and in the process build a better community.

LOL, implies that other posters are self-consumed and drift away from Seahaws topics in one post, and then in the very next post breaks arm patting self on back for deeds having nothing to do with football, as if nobody else on the forum makes any charitable contributions or sees the bigger picture (hint: they do, they are just too self-aware to virtue signal it in a message forum for football).

Self-regard, thy name is Jville.

HawkerD

Reaction score
I am a fan of the Freakonomics podcast and they have been doing a series on sports. The latest in the series had a portion talking about data analytics in terms of NFL play calling. You can find the whole pod cast here: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/think-like-a-winner/. The part I am referring to starts around 33:45

I've copied the relevant portion below. Levitt is Freakonomics co-author and economic professor at the University of Chicago Steve Levitt:

Levitt has also studied the details of in-game decision-making in professional sports. In a paper he co-wrote with Ken Kovash — a one-time University of Chicago research assistant, now a Cleveland Browns executive — Levitt looked at how good N.F.L. offenses are at confusing or deceiving the defense.

LEVITT: We looked at whether teams are making the right choices between running plays and passing plays, and our conclusion is that we see that on average teams seem to make a mistake.

The mistake is, essentially, being too predictable.

LEVITT: They seem to not throw enough passes, relative to running plays. And N.F.L. teams in particular have lots of serial correlation.

“Serial correlation” meaning the previous play is too predictive of the next play. Ideally, you want the play-calling to appear nearly random, to maximize the element of surprise.

LEVITT: It turns out the play that you just ran has a very large influence on the next choice. And interestingly, and almost embarrassingly funny to an economist, is that it’s exactly when that play did badly. So if you do a running play and it didn’t do well, you are much less likely to call a running play the next time because of some belief that, “Well if it didn’t work last time, it’s not going to work this time.”

There are, of course, other factors to consider: if a run play fails, you’ve got more yardage to make up, which might argue in favor of a pass play. But in the final analysis, Levitt and Kovash found that teams were leaving points on the table.

LEVITT: We think the stakes are really high. The magnitude of the mistakes that they made were associated with scoring an extra point a game, which doesn’t sound like much, but an extra point a game would turn into about half of a win per season, and that’s worth about $5 million a year. So it looks like roughly a $5-million-a-year mistake. Currently in the N.F.L, the number of pass plays is about 58 percent. And our belief is the optimal looks much more like 70 percent. And so there really should be dramatically more passes in the N.F.L.

Jville

Reaction score
hawk45":1t7yj2yl said:
Jville":1t7yj2yl said:
From time to time a post appears whose content redirects to a narration of it's author's feelings of reflection and sometimes self absorption. Although, such confessions may be useful for an author's diary or personal therapist. There is a time and place for everything. Most of us are attracted to this forum because of our over arching interest in it's subject .... the Seattle Seahawks.

Jville

I just now returned from delivering "wheels on meals" deliveries to local seniors in need.

With regards to what else is there to do, there are so many in need that go wanting for help from others. Too many Infants, children and elderly go wanting for food and clothing and shelter .... especially this time of year. Clean water and proper sewerage solutions go wanting for attention. We are surrounded by so many needs and so little help. Volunteering provides huge rewards. Everyone can supplement and fill their days with meaningful contributions ........ just like Russell Wilson and other Seahawks who volunteer as a way of life.

It's in keeping with becoming "All IN" as a Seahawk ...... helping other become the best they can be ..... and in the process build a better community.

LOL, implies that other posters are self-consumed and drift away from Seahaws topics in one post, and then in the very next post breaks arm patting self on back for deeds having nothing to do with football, as if nobody else on the forum makes any charitable contributions or sees the bigger picture (hint: they do, they are just too self-aware to virtue signal it in a message forum for football).

Your selected quotes omit the question I answered after returning from my deliveries. A common example of altering context thru selective omission.

The specific "mrt144" statement - question I was answering is ....... "It's the freaking off season - what else is there to do?"

If my answer to his question makes you uncomfortable, you have my condolences. If you have your own thoughts on his question, fill free to address the question posed by "mrt144".

Also, there is another question in this meandering thread you may find appealing ..... whats your favorite chocolate?

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkerD":2j81r2m5 said:
I am a fan of the Freakonomics podcast and they have been doing a series on sports. The latest in the series had a portion talking about data analytics in terms of NFL play calling. You can find the whole pod cast here: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/think-like-a-winner/. The part I am referring to starts around 33:45

I've copied the relevant portion below. Levitt is Freakonomics co-author and economic professor at the University of Chicago Steve Levitt:

Levitt has also studied the details of in-game decision-making in professional sports. In a paper he co-wrote with Ken Kovash — a one-time University of Chicago research assistant, now a Cleveland Browns executive — Levitt looked at how good N.F.L. offenses are at confusing or deceiving the defense.

LEVITT: We looked at whether teams are making the right choices between running plays and passing plays, and our conclusion is that we see that on average teams seem to make a mistake.

LEVITT: They seem to not throw enough passes, relative to running plays. And N.F.L. teams in particular have lots of serial correlation.

“Serial correlation” meaning the previous play is too predictive of the next play. Ideally, you want the play-calling to appear nearly random, to maximize the element of surprise.

LEVITT: It turns out the play that you just ran has a very large influence on the next choice. And interestingly, and almost embarrassingly funny to an economist, is that it’s exactly when that play did badly. So if you do a running play and it didn’t do well, you are much less likely to call a running play the next time because of some belief that, “Well if it didn’t work last time, it’s not going to work this time.”

There are, of course, other factors to consider: if a run play fails, you’ve got more yardage to make up, which might argue in favor of a pass play. But in the final analysis, Levitt and Kovash found that teams were leaving points on the table.

LEVITT: We think the stakes are really high. The magnitude of the mistakes that they made were associated with scoring an extra point a game, which doesn’t sound like much, but an extra point a game would turn into about half of a win per season, and that’s worth about $5 million a year. So it looks like roughly a $5-million-a-year mistake. Currently in the N.F.L, the number of pass plays is about 58 percent. And our belief is the optimal looks much more like 70 percent. And so there really should be dramatically more passes in the N.F.L.

I pulled my 70% out of thin air almost - based on a hunch and some back of envelope math. Hilarious.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Vpk0718":1byrfiek said:
Except they weren't executing it well at all in the playoffs and Pete completely failed to figure it out until it was desperation time.

Yes but that’s not what the article is about.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":30ienhcu said:

I completely disagree with their fundamental premise: "you want the play-calling to appear nearly random, to maximize the element of surprise."

That's complete bullshit. What teams really want to do is to be the side that dictates the game. Whether you are playing offense or defense, if you dictate what your opponent can do, you win.

If you can run the ball when your opponent knows you are going to run the ball, then you win the game, because they have to alter the strength of their unit to respond to something which leaves gaps elsewhere for you to exploit.

In the Minnesota game we shut down a hot NFL offense by dictating on defense what their offense could do. They couldn't run, and our pass rush was effective and coverage was excellent so they had to stick with meaningless short passes that obliterated Cousin's confidence and kept him to nothing but short dump-offs. At no point in that game did Minnesota do something on offense that we had to respond to on defense. We were in charge.

In Dallas, we were not in charge. With both our guards playing hurt, we could neither run block nor pass block effectively. As much as we tried we could not establish any sort of dominance anywhere on the line, which had Carson stymied and Wilson running for his life. Credit to Wilson that he performs well on the run, but with such a disparity between the effectiveness of the relative lines, we were doomed from the outset.

I know people think we should have passed more, but they were watching a different game, or they were too busy looking at their statistics books to see what was going on on the field.

"but the Rams did this..." So what? We haven't sucked for a decade amassing a plethora of early-round picks. We're not the Rams. We just lost a bunch of Pro-Bowlers and have to restock a bit before we can make serious in-roads in post-season, because when you are scrambling to replace starters you don't have depth.

We'll get there, and The Plan will work again. We just ran out of horses.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Jville":1ann4tr8 said:
hawk45":1ann4tr8 said:
Jville":1ann4tr8 said:

Jville

Your selected quotes omit the question I answered after returning from my deliveries. A common example of altering context thru selective omission.

The specific "mrt144" statement - question I was answering is ....... "It's the freaking off season - what else is there to do?"

If my answer to his question makes you uncomfortable, you have my condolences. If you have your own thoughts on his question, fill free to address the question posed by "mrt144".

Also, there is another question in this meandering thread you may find appealing ..... whats your favorite chocolate?

How about a compromise... Let's keep things on topic as much as possible (being guilty of expressing my love of Belgian chocolate in this very thread not about chocolate at all)

jville.. yours is a noble sentiment but probably deserving of its own post