The Big Prototypical #1 WR

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":ii3l5kxf said:
Here's a mock draft that has us picking N'Keal Murray at #21.

I like it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... the-board/

We trade down in drafts where we have 6-7 picks, ain't no way in hell we're picking at 21 with only four picks this year.

Mock drafts are fun, but they don't take into account team tendencies or current draft stock. We're trading down, probably multiple times. Count on it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
LymonHawk":f6ju1ctd said:
Scorpion05":f6ju1ctd said:
LymonHawk":f6ju1ctd said:
IMHO: The main reason Graham didn't shine here was RW's weakness in throwing a fade pass....YMMV.

Lol

Yea let’s ignore his production in Green Bay and instead explain it away with RW narratives

Are you implying RW is good at throwing fades? LOL!

He doesn't?

Isnt he like the best deep ball passer in the NFL the last few years? Aren't a lot of those sideline fades?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
All y'all wanting a tall & fast WR need to check out Baylor's WR-Jalen Hurd, 6-4/220-'s, est. 4.4's/40. A (former) RB in a long & athletic WR's body with big, 10-1/4"+ hands. He isn't talked about much currently, however after he kills the combine he'll likely be in the 75 to 125 area in rankings. Hurd is going to surprise many at the combine with his workout numbers. The nay sayers will say he's way too "RAW" and/or take exception with his "change of schools" & "change of positions" which will likely impact his draft position. GREAT, after the Seahawk trade downs, the Seahawks can fill a couple of important needs and still get him with a 3-rd round pick, I say that would be a great move.

Check him out, you'll see why I'm very high on him & why I think he would be a great addition to the Seahawks offense with his versatility. Hurd could easily replace the injured RB-Procise & the expensive, under-productive WR-Brown with 1 roster spot upon his selection. Those that liked former RB turned WR Golden Tate, will love Jalen Hurd (+ he's considered a good 3-rd down RB and has some good history running the ball (even at his height), making him a quality RB backup along with his developing acumen at WR. Good coaching (that may take up to a year to gel) will make him a quality WR for the Seahawks. I bet the new OC would love to have his size, speed & skills to work with and could design a number of specific play packages to put Hurd into position to excel, showing looks at slot, wideout, running back + use his size & speed on sweeps, swing passes and wheel routes as well as a lot of crossing patterns in the middle of the field. It's nice that his coaches are high on him and that he's considered a very hard worker that loves the game, that has a familiar Seahawks mantra ring to it.

Draft Profile:
https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=507

Path to the draft Overview:
www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000993504 ... to-the-nfl

Hurd is #5 on game films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rn93ZfraG4&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVlOXyR4BA

:smilingalien:

mrt144

Reaction score
Uncle Si":kb45q7ny said:
LymonHawk":kb45q7ny said:
Scorpion05":kb45q7ny said:
LymonHawk":kb45q7ny said:
IMHO: The main reason Graham didn't shine here was RW's weakness in throwing a fade pass....YMMV.

Lol

Yea let’s ignore his production in Green Bay and instead explain it away with RW narratives

Are you implying RW is good at throwing fades? LOL!

He doesn't?

Isnt he like the best deep ball passer in the NFL the last few years? Aren't a lot of those sideline fades?

But he isn't ABSOLUTELY good at it, just better than many if not most of his peers. No credit in Lymon's book.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":2b8t4or7 said:
DomeHawk":2b8t4or7 said:

I like it.

We trade down in drafts where we have 6-7 picks, ain't no way in hell we're picking at 21 with only four picks this year.

Mock drafts are fun, but they don't take into account team tendencies or current draft stock. We're trading down, probably multiple times. Count on it.

Granted, this has been their history but I still think it is who's available. If it is someone you really want and NEED, you really need to pull the trigger in the 1st or 2nd round. The percentages tell you so.

"The first round gives you a 63% chance of finding a starter.
The second round gives you a 27% chance, the third a 17% chance, then it really plummets from there with 8% in the fourth and 6% in the 7th."

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/2 ... t-by-round

getnasty

Reaction score
Hakeem Butler out of Iowa State is intriguing, not sure where he will go but he looked amazing in there bowl game.

John63

Reaction score
Own The West":s0h843is said:
I don't know that we'd want a Big Prototypical #1 WR. The only single point of failure we have on this team is Russell and that's kind of unavoidable.

You are kidding, You are saying Wilson is our single point of failure. LOL thanks for the laugh

John63

Reaction score
getnasty":1ojln64p said:
I'm with Lymon, Russell's strength is not the back shoulder fade. Just because he's not great at it doesnt imply that he's a horrible quarterback just that he doesn't throw that style of pass very well.

One thing this team stuggles with is pressure in predictable passing situtions, if you watch the Arizona game you know what i mean. They would get us in 3rd and 8 and bring the house. When we get into these sitution there is no time for Doug to use a double move to get open or Lockett to out run someone to a spot. This is where a DeAndre Hopkins/DaVonte Adams shine, they run a go route and throw the back should fade to a spot for 12 yards and a first down.

David Moore showed flashes of being that guy this year and hopefully he contunues to get develop and his hands get a little better too.

LOL "Russell's strength is not the back shoulder fade." and yet he has shown and proven he can do it and do it well. LOL

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":570nftma said:
DomeHawk":570nftma said:

I like it.

agreed we will trade down if possible

getnasty

Reaction score
John63":vopsf05l said:
getnasty":vopsf05l said:
I'm with Lymon, Russell's strength is not the back shoulder fade. Just because he's not great at it doesnt imply that he's a horrible quarterback just that he doesn't throw that style of pass very well.

One thing this team stuggles with is pressure in predictable passing situtions, if you watch the Arizona game you know what i mean. They would get us in 3rd and 8 and bring the house. When we get into these sitution there is no time for Doug to use a double move to get open or Lockett to out run someone to a spot. This is where a DeAndre Hopkins/DaVonte Adams shine, they run a go route and throw the back should fade to a spot for 12 yards and a first down.

David Moore showed flashes of being that guy this year and hopefully he contunues to get develop and his hands get a little better too.

LOL "Russell's strength is not the back shoulder fade." and yet he has shown and proven he can do it and do it well. LOL

Russell is a top 5 quarterback in this league but he doesnt excell when throwing a back shoulder fade. Quit being a homer, its ok he's not perfect.

John63

Reaction score
getnasty":g09leqo5 said:
John63":g09leqo5 said:
getnasty":g09leqo5 said:

Russell is a top 5 quarterback in this league but he doesnt excell when throwing a back shoulder fade. Quit being a homer, its ok he's not perfect.

Since you are so sure he is not good at it, please provide us a stats showing this? waiting!!!

FYI just because I don't agree with you does not make me a homer. It just means I don't agree with you as I have seen him throw a lot of great back shoulder fades.

chris98251

Reaction score
Back shoulder fades need a receiver that will slow down and block out the defender also to give Wilson space to drop the ball there, since our receivers have not been great route runners this could be part of that issue also.

naholmes

Reaction score
I think a 1st round WR is a pipe dream but if it did happen I would prefer Kelvin Harmon from N.C. State. He’s 6’3” with elite hands and body control and is by far the best run blocker in this class.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1fx2t1qv said:
IMHO opinion, Pete Carroll will always look for tall WRs

-2010. Signed 6-5 Mike Williams. He also tried out 6-4 Reggie Williams
-2011. Signed 6-4 Sidney Rice. He also drafted 6-5 Kris Durham
-2012. 6-3 Terrell Owens signs contract.
-2015. Signed 6-5 Chris Matthews
-2016. Signed 6-6 Tanner McEvoy
-2018. Signed 6-5 Brandon Marshall

Don't forget they tried to get Marshall back in 2010 too. Flew him in for a FA visit.

AgentDib

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3mgs3vpr said:
Part of our offensive identity is minimising turnovers by throwing to open receivers. We've all seen Wilson pull down a potential throw to a partially-covered receiver waiting for him to get more separation. The big guys don't tend to get that separation, so are at greater risk for interception on a errant throw or a great play by a DB. Guys like Lockett get that kind of separation, and Wilson takes advantage of it to torch defenses in relative safety.
You're spot on with our current personnel. However, do you remember all the contested passes thrown to BMW and Rice? I think our recent big receivers haven't used their body particularly well or had particularly strong hands, but getting another target in that we felt comfortable throwing open could change our recent tendencies.

SundayNiteBlackout

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":5ms82916 said:
KiwiHawk":5ms82916 said:
Put Baldwin on another team and he's a perennial pro-bowler and main target. But he understands his role in Seattle and does the best he possibly can at it.

If Baldwin plays his entire career in Seattle, I'd say that he makes the Ring of Honor.

I think you can pretty much book that. It remains to be seen if he burns his way out ala Earl Thomas though before that can happen. Dougie is pretty outspoken.

D

DomeHawk

naholmes":o5sgspny said:
I think a 1st round WR is a pipe dream but if it did happen I would prefer Kelvin Harmon from N.C. State. He’s 6’3” with elite hands and body control and is by far the best run blocker in this class.

You're probably right but even though this is a d-lineman heavy draft there could be as many as 10 picked before we even get a chance. WR's, on the other hand, will probably be picked right about where we are.

I haven't studied them enough to know, I just mentioned N'Keal because he was considered the Pac-12's best WR.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/pro ... receivers/

Jville

Reaction score
uncle fester":12xpills said:
What’s the point?

In this system, you’d be spending top draft capital (and hard cash) on a WR who just won’t get the ball as often as a Julio Jones/Brandon Marshall/A.N. Other type player. That’s the system, that’s how it runs here. (Pete’s not changing his mind, so we can’t do anything about the system)

Which would be followed every week by wailing and nashing of teeth about why we can’t get him the ball more often (which would descend into criticism of Russ/Pete/Schotty)

As others have said, the closest example of this is Jimmy Graham, and most were happy to see him leave. Why would you want to do that again?

I’d rather a slippery WR who can get open consistently, than one who invites 50/50 jump ball situations because he’s a bit taller.

Off-thought: Wasn’t (the healthy) Sidney Rice just great? Remember those moments where he’d just appear underneath a Wilson pass and everyone would sit there going “How did that happen?”

Good times.

I remember Sidney Rice like it was yesterday. He would stretch and lay it all out for a catch. Vertically and horizontally. An extraordinary catch radius with extraordinary timing. He made quarterbacks look like masters at throwing the football. Prior to his retirement, he had every roster receiver preforming reaching and toe dragging sideline catches. Great team influence and presence. I think it highly probable that Sidney Rice film is still an instructive inclusion in the team's training film. He was special.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":k2fo9f48 said:
DomeHawk":k2fo9f48 said:

I like it.

Yeah, I don't think a mock has ever gotten our 1st round pick right since we drafted Okung.