Earl Thomas

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Earl probably will have to decide between the highest bidder vs best shot at winning another Super Bowl. The contenders who are one or two players away who figure can put them over top probably have other players making a lot or due for an extension so they'd have to fit him into their cap structure. Teams with all kinds of cap room are probably more than 1 player away.

Tical21

Reaction score
He ain't coming back here. Non-starter.

He'll get a very good contract still, at or top of safety position.

We would get a comp pick, but won't because we need to sign another Ed Dickson or Barkevious Mingo.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We did blow our chance at a bunch of compensatory picks last year but that's uncharacteristic of our front office which normally stockpiles them. I think Carroll saw how much turnover there was going to be and decided that if we were going to be immediately competitive (a must for him) our best shot was filling some of those holes in FA via low-mid FA quantity. That's an avenue of potential value because many teams do avoid those players for compensatory pick reasons.

It's possible that they spend one more year filling in FAs and forgoing comp picks but I doubt that will be the plan every year going forwards. Instead, my guess is we will spend most of our money on extensions (Frank, Russ) and resigning our own guys (ERFAs, RFAs, maybe JC). I don't think we have many glaring holes left after that which could not be addressed via the draft and/or depth veteran FA can be added May 9th or later to avoid impacting compensatory picks.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Let him walk obviously....not only is he a cancer he has injury issues and now on the other side of 30. He wants Eric Berry money but I guarantee the Chiefs will regret that contract as well. Thomas made his own bed with his antics which destroyed his legacy. Ring of honor? I think not...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2366tsw2 said:
. Ring of honor? I think not...

Really?

I'm not happy either with how Earl acted and how things ended, but he's one of the greatest players in Hawk's history...........I hope there's a time years from now after the LOB retires that we can bring Kam, Sherm and Earl back and induct them into the ring.

They certainly deserve it.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I still think the Hawks will tag him if they can get a contract done with Frank. At the very least they could parlay that into a 5th or 6th round pick on a trade and sign scenario.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":3rl9sij8 said:
We did blow our chance at a bunch of compensatory picks last year but that's uncharacteristic of our front office which normally stockpiles them. I think Carroll saw how much turnover there was going to be and decided that if we were going to be immediately competitive (a must for him) our best shot was filling some of those holes in FA via low-mid FA quantity. That's an avenue of potential value because many teams do avoid those players for compensatory pick reasons.

Couple things.

1. I agree in principle. Pete obviously wanted to fill holes with UFA. And that's not necessarily bad.
2. I think Pete felt they were more than low/mid quality.

Why? Well we'd have to assume that both Pete and John both understand completely how the comp formula works (which we have seen them manipulate before). If that assumption is true, then if they truly regarded these guys as low value players, they could of and would of cut them before week 10 and replaced them with cap casualty free agents at the start of the season.

Just because you sign a UFA in March, doesn't mean you 'lose' the comp pick. Your qualified UFA additions (and losses for that matter) don't finally qualify unless they are on the roster (active or IR) by week 10. Given that, I think Seattle regarded these players are not just incrementally better, but significantly better than low quality players. Otherwise they would have opted to just replace these guys with truly low quality/one year rental players.

Getting a comp pick means you are losing talent right now. And that loss has a significant cost. Particularly when you're not really producing quality depth, which Seattle has had an issue with in the last few years. In order to get comp picks 18 months down the road, you have to sacrifice team quality for the next 18 months.

Also, Seattle has done a remarkably crappy job of self scouting their own team. We are constantly letting go players before we should, creating urgent need when we don't necessarily need to. We drafted Penny last year in R1. But that's only because we stupidly jettisoned Alex Collins at the start of his second year. In what I can only assume was a 'fumble and you're out of here' tantrum. That move basically cost us a first round pick.

We also just let Glowinski go for what seemed no real reason. Other than Cable didn't like him maybe? The gift that keeps on taking. Awesome. I guess it was because we were so enamored with Pocic?

Which of course could be a cautionary tale for those here that are now looking to run Pocic out of town. Or Tedric Thompson. Or QJeff. Because developing guys and then letting them go before they mature means you are intentionally selling low on a player. Could Pocic turn around his career in year 3? Possibly.

Basically in order to make the comp pick strategy work, you have to have rookie deal depth in place so you don't have a lot of holes where you need better than low quality street free agents. I don't think we were in that position last year. However we kind of look like we are this year.

flv

Reaction score
I can see a lot of teams being interested in signing Thomas for good money but I don't see any team trading a pick for a 29-year-old S coming off an injury with a franchise tag salary. Any team interested in paying good money wants option years they can get out of if Thomas isn't what he used to be. Tagging a player who doesn't want to play for you just so you might be able to get a low pick in a trade is a bad risk/reward move.

Slick

Reaction score
*allas will (over)pay him whatever he wants.

Why any guy wants to play for that old, shriveled, racist, POS I don't know.

toffee

Reaction score
When you have hungry children to feed, there's ZERO room for loyalty, for manners, and all of that. HUNGRY CHILDREN, which part of that you all don't understand? First team came with long term contract gets hall of fame free safety Earl Thomas $$$.

Compassion you team owners, hungry children here.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
toffee":1zqb7vji said:
When you have hungry children to feed, there's ZERO room for loyalty, for manners, and all of that. HUNGRY CHILDREN, which part of that you all don't understand? First team came with long term contract gets hall of fame free safety Earl Thomas $$$.

Compassion you team owners, hungry children here.
:2thumbs: yep a few million in bank doesn't take care of
family..It has to be more and more ..

Chawker

Reaction score
ET is a high value commodity (ie first round selection) that has proven to be a successful player at his trade. Earl wants to play for his hometown crew. The first sentence is fact the rest is just fluff.

Seattle needs to franchise him and trade him. They should get a first round out of a player of his calibrator , but a second and a fourth could be a deal which would be suitable for all partiests.

We all know that the Cowboys are drooling over the thought of him and what he would mean to the production of there team.

Sign and trade.

Cheers

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chawker":2pxp62du said:
ET is a high value commodity (ie first round selection) that has proven to be a successful player at his trade. Earl wants to play for his hometown crew. The first sentence is fact the rest is just fluff.

Seattle needs to franchise him and trade him. They should get a first round out of a player of his calibrator , but a second and a fourth could be a deal which would be suitable for all partiests.

We all know that the Cowboys are drooling over the thought of him and what he would mean to the production of there team.

Sign and trade.

Cheers

This was the thinking last year before Earl got hurt again. If Dallas wasn't willing to give us a 1st or even 2nd last off season, then they're certainly not going to do it this off season post injury..............especially with their cap situation with their own players to extend and resign.

That's only on the trade side, on the personal side no way in hell Earl signs a franchise tender, he'll just do what Bell did, sit out the entire season, or at BEST not report until he has to, which is week 10.

The Earl ship has sailed, anyone thinking we have another shot at getting anything for Earl, or mending that burned bridge is delusional. Let him go, it's not worth another off season disruption.

All sides gambled, and lost.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Sherman has poisoned his mind before the injury and is poisoning it now after. He is going to end up in SFO with Sherman and miss the playoffs for the rest of his otherwise, HoF career. Fine by me, dork.

Seymour

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1ajco44g said:
Sherman has poisoned his mind before the injury and is poisoning it now after. He is going to end up in SFO with Sherman and miss the playoffs for the rest of his otherwise, HoF career. Fine by me, dork.

Agree. He is also damaged goods not "a high value commodity". Breaking the same leg that he refused to surgically repair the first time is on him. Seahawks recommended the surgery (pin) and he opted to go the "weak natural heal" route.
His value has plummeted now IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
It's a sad end to a stellar career with the 'Hawks, but ETIII is gone. We need the tag for Clark, and even if we don't need it there (I kind of hope we can sign him long term), we don't need to use it to overpay Thomas on a one year deal. Better for the team to let the young guys grow and mature than waste more resources on a disgruntled player who shows no sense of wanting to be re-gruntled.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Atradees":3qw3b4al said:
Couldnt get a second last year. His contract demands are too high

Actually they could get a 2nd it looks like last year. Just Earl got hurt before it was finalized.

"Here is how it went going into Sunday: From what I am told, the Seahawks wanted two second-round picks, actually lowered their price to one second-round pick," Rapoport said. "The Kansas City Chiefs were then in the process of freeing up money, creating salary cap space to make room for Thomas' $8.5 million salary. This is something that likely would have happened, and Earl Thomas would have been a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. He just needed more time."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-were-eyeing-earl-thomas-trade-before-injury