Wide Receivevers, personnel questions

getnasty

Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense to spend money or draft capital on a number 1 wr. We are a run first team with two good reaceivers all ready, just not enough balls to go around to warrent spending to much there. I like the idea of a Latimer, Perriman, Kevin White type with low risk, high reward potential.

massari

Reaction score
knownone":1ki10woa said:
I can’t imagine any big money free agent reciever wanting to sign with a team that has established starters and only throws the ball 27 times a game.
Also can't imagine the Seahawks wanting another big money WR when they've already got two $10M WR's on a run first offense already.

DeVante Parker is likely going to be let go by the Dolphins. Don't know why he'd want to come to Seattle, but he could be a good fit as a #3 or #4 on a cheap prove it deal.

King Dog

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2ghud1wp said:
On a selfish level I really want Baldwin to be traded. Doesn't really have anything to do with the betterment of the Seahawks if I'm being honest. I really just want to see what he can do in a high volume passing attack ala Brees before he gets too old.

No need, if you just want a general idea of production. Just go view Golden Tate's numbers on the Seahawks vs Lions

Tical21

Reaction score
I do think an upgrade over Moore is an area where there is an opportunity for an impactful improvement. We don't really have the cap or draft capital to make it happen, but if the right guy is there, I wouldn't hesitate. I just want a guy that can win 50/50 balls sometimes, we only need a handful per year. Russ loves to throw the 50/50 against cover-3. He hit it with Moore a few times, but that was fool's gold. Tyler has been impressive at it, but I dont believe last year's success rate is realistically maintainable.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1c51h5a5 said:
I do think an upgrade over Moore is an area where there is an opportunity for an impactful improvement. We don't really have the cap or draft capital to make it happen, but if the right guy is there, I wouldn't hesitate. I just want a guy that can win 50/50 balls sometimes, we only need a handful per year. Russ loves to throw the 50/50 against cover-3. He hit it with Moore a few times, but that was fool's gold. Tyler has been impressive at it, but I dont believe last year's success rate is realistically maintainable.
I think Boykin from ND could be this player you want.

massari

Reaction score
Tical21":3i64eh6s said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/909539778592350208[/tweet]

Fade

Reaction score
RAC / returner / Jet Sweep is what they need. A young Percy Harvin type. Seatte is the worst RAC team in the NFL. The play design is a big reason why, but if they had a Harvin like receiver they would change their play design.

Lockett is kind of like that guy and they did some things with him in this area, but he isn't violent enough with the ball in his hands to build an offense around him in that fashion.

Lockett is truly special running routes down field and creating space late to make the tough catch.

The Seahawks should never invest any sort of crazy captial in the WR position as they simply just do not throw the ball enough to justify it. Improving the OG position who will play the majority of the snaps both running & throwing would be a bigger upgrade to the team than adding a receiver who would get 60 targets the whole season.

A Harvin type does intrigue me though because he could get 7 targets or so with short quick passes. And another 5 touches or so with Jet Sweeps, reverses, etc. 12 Targets/Touches a game x16 games = 192. He could also return kicks & punts.

I don't see anyone in the draft that could be the next Percy Harvin. So no.

This particular draft Seattle has to do what they have found success in. Take a guy in the middle/later rounds. And be aggressive with UDFA's.

The Seahawks do not need a WR to win the Super Bowl, their current group is more than good enough. The defense is what needs to get better if they want to win a Championship. The Secondary in particular, and you can never have enough D-Line. They are also starting to get old at LB. I would be very satisfied if 80% of the picks went to defense this year.

massari

Reaction score
Fade":1bpanoar said:
RAC / returner / Jet Sweep is what they need. A young Percy Harvin type.

A Harvin type does intrigue me though because he could get 7 targets or so with short quick passes. And another 5 touches or so with Jet Sweeps, reverses, etc. 12 Targets/Touches a game x16 games = 192. He could also return kicks & punts.

Prosise?

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":34iw6jx3 said:
RAC / returner / Jet Sweep is what they need. A young Percy Harvin type. Seatte is the worst RAC team in the NFL. The play design is a big reason why, but if they had a Harvin like receiver they would change their play design.

Lockett is kind of like that guy and they did some things with him in this area, but he isn't violent enough with the ball in his hands to build an offense around him in that fashion.

Lockett is truly special running routes down field and creating space late to make the tough catch.

The Seahawks should never invest any sort of crazy captial in the WR position as they simply just do not throw the ball enough to justify it. Improving the OG position who will play the majority of the snaps both running & throwing would be a bigger upgrade to the team than adding a receiver who would get 60 targets the whole season.

This particular draft Seattle has to do what they have found success in. Take a guy in the middle/later rounds. And be aggressive with UDFA's.

The Seahawks do not need a WR to win the Super Bowl, their current group is more than good enough. The defense is what needs to get better if they want to win a Championship. The Secondary in particular, and you can never have enough D-Line. They are also starting to get old at LB. I would be very satisfied if 80% of the picks went to defense this year.
I mean, Deebo Samuel is your guy, but I disagree that another little quick guy is the type of WR that is needed here. We don't complete short, YAC conducive passes. It's hard to run a lot of screens and end-arounds when you have a mobile QB.

I think they need a body that can run a stop route, win a slant on 3rd and mid, and sometimes come down with a 50/50. Moore can't really do any of those things well.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
massari":q1xz5sn4 said:
Fade":q1xz5sn4 said:
RAC / returner / Jet Sweep is what they need. A young Percy Harvin type.

Prosise?

Perhaps that's what they wanted from Prosise but sadly he likely will be axed after the preseason b/c he will have another lingering injury.

To now, he's been a wasted roster spot and another unproductive draft pick. Sometimes the injury history is in fact accurate.

There are at least one or two players who could be that guy in the draft if the team was inclined that way. Check out Parris Campbell, Jalen Hurd, Preston Williams amongst a few others.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This is a draft that has a fair few intriguing prospects of a variety of stripes.

Deebo Samuel is a quick/stout slot type. Very good footwork and ability to create separation. Uncommonly big in terms of weight -- built much more in height/weight to our RB prototype. I see a blend of Tate and Baldwin with him.

N'Keal Harry is a larger prospect. Very good hands/ball skills. Doesn't seem to be adept at separation. Speed looks NFL sufficient.

DK Metcalf is a larger receiver prospect. Flashes brilliance. But seemed less productive than one would expect. A number of outside factors could play into that. As a prospect, he's very unique and there's no doubt there should be expected to be a strong appeal to Seattle based on that.

Hakeem Butler is a larger receiver prospect. Showed ability to dominate in games. Gifted receiver who seems to have slid into anonymity somewhat lately. Still a very good prospect.

Overall, I think Metcalf and Butler both are better prospects empirically than Devante Parker was coming out. I like Samuel for Seattle as I think he's the kind of receiver that Wilson has shown to invest his trust into. Unfortunately, to secure him may require only one short trade back which is not particularly likely given we have so few picks.

Overall, selecting at this position is tough to forecast. It is in short term (next 24 months) need, but not necessarily imminent need. Carroll basically stated he didn't see any imminent needs for this team. So WR could/should be in play.

Seattle has two WRs on their second contracts. For a run first team, this is exceptionally rich. When I consider this question, I'm not considering the back half of the roster (Moore and Brown). I'm looking at the starter grade quality. Baldwin is a player who is now at a cost and age and injury history that is impossible to divorce from the equation. Samuel is a player who looks like he could provide a close approximation to Baldwin's quality by year two.

Consider this as well. Baldwin is signed through 2020. Every fan should rightly expect there to be a much more significant work stoppage in 2021. If not a full season shutdown. There should be little expectation that a similar injunction will take place in 2021 that allowed for a draft as it did in 2011. So the league year will end, assuredly with no UFA signing period and likely no draft either.

By drafting a player like Samuel, you are preparing your roster for the 2020/2021 season. Baldwin can be released in 2020 with 11M in cap relief. It's important to recall, that Baldwin's original deal was set up so that the team could succeed Baldwin on the roster in 2019 or 2020 easily. But we sacrificed the ability to shed the contract in 2019 by converting salary to bonus in 2017 (part of the Sheldon Richardson deal). It is no shock to me that Seattle has been actively planning for life after Baldwin. Taking a WR early this year, in a year without dire needs on the roster, aligns with those plans.

Overall, Seattle's WR group needs to add top shelf talent - at least not development project level talent. Both starting WRs are on expensive 2nd deals and both of them now carry injury histories that should remain causes for concern going forward. Both starters are firmly entrenched on this year's roster. So adding one this year allows the team options (both longer term evaluation and development) without foreseeable risk to positional production.

Of course, this could be said for virtually all of our position groups at this point. There is a definite intersection between available talent in the 30-60 overall range and medium term need at WR this year.