RW3 TOP 10 Mold breaker of all time

Palmegranite

Reaction score
The template was already there. Doug Flutie in the CFL won multiple championships, and is in the CFL HOF. He was basically his own offensive coordinator. He was QB genius. He was the ultimate QB mold-breaker and a joy to watch.

So it was frustrating to see him come back to the NFL and hit a brick wall with the "great coaching minds" telling him they knew better than Doug.

RW showed the same creative QB genius but my fear is that it is slowly and methodically being ground out of him. Uninspired rote play call after rote play call.
The whole key to Russ' creative QB ballet is that it can never be 'figured out' or schemed against. Never.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
You just wasted your time typing all of this. If you want to know how Russell broke the mold look at the number of 6 ft and under QBs who are even considered for the NFL draft now versus before he entered the league -- and don't try to make something that simple in the rocket science.

Spin Doctor":2uwyu5t8 said:
Aros":2uwyu5t8 said:
Meanwhile there's still a ton of old coots who won't give him his due because he's not the "prototypical" tall, pocket-passing NFL QB.
I don't understand this. If you look at most fans outside of the Seahawks, they rate Wilson pretty highly. The media also isn't exactly ambivalent towards him either. They don't exactly bash him, and certain analyst are head over heels in love with the guy. Honestly, I think the majority of the media (guys not looking for click bait) have Wilson rated where he needs to be.

He's a very good QB, but he's really gated by the system he plays in. Even when he was putting up big numbers he struggled for most of the game (2015 not included). Lack of third down conversions, erratic throws, etc. A lot of this has to do with Carroll's offensive philosophy, not on Wilson himself. He is limited by his staff more than any other veteran QB in the NFL. The main reason for this? Carroll believes that the toxic differential is more important than anything else. Carroll's offense is essentially the offensive equivalent of the prevent defense

Carroll's view on the toxic differential isn't necessarily wrong, but there is a balance that I think must be struck. To other NFL fans, and analyst who watch the Seahawks occasionally don't really understand Pete's take on things. It becomes really easy to blame the inconsistent offensive play on the QB, because he is the most important figure on offense. Really, it is a function of Pete Carroll's philosophy of protect the ball above all else. This leads to the Seahawks avoiding certain parts of the field, avoiding certain types of common plays in the NFL, etc. It isn't that Wilson can't, he did it in 2015, it's that Pete Carroll doesn't want that from his teams.

This is why it is so hard to get a good idea of what Russell Wilson truly is capable of, especially if he had an offensive guru bringing him up. We have a system that is unlike any other in the NFL, and to a person on the outside looking in it is really easy to blame Wilson for us running that type of system. Looking at the whole picture it is the same system we ran with Hasselbeck here, a QB that built his whole career on throwing guys open, and delivering timing passes. He was a rhythm QB, forced to play in a system that didn't suit his skill set.

Fade

Reaction score
Because of Russell Wilson teams now don't even hesitate to take small QBs in the 1st round.

Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield, and now Kyler Murray.

They even value them more than the bigger QBs now at times. 10 years ago Baker Mayfield would've never gone ahead of Sam Darnold. Shoot he wouldn't of even gone in the 1st round period. Probably 2nd round ala Brees.

I've always been a fan of the 6'2'' and under QBs personally. They tend to have better coordination and fantastic arm talent due to it being frowned upon as not being tall enough for the position. They have to be better than the tall guys or they get benched with the quick hook. Which molds them into better competitors w/better leadership capabilities. The ability to buy time and extend plays is also one of the most valuable traits a QB can have and the shorter QBs tend to have that as well.

Steve Young, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Baker Mayfield, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers (skillset only), Tony Romo, etc. The problem is now the rest of the NFL has finally caught up with how I have thought all along about the position with Mayfield going over Darnold. Mahomes is this as well but at 6'3''.

Russell Wilson has changed the game forever. It is now expected that Franchise QBs have to be able to move and extend plays going forward. No more statues allowed, even if they are 6-5, they must be mobile. And teams no longer care if you are under 6'0''. Kyler Murray isn't even 5'10''.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
^Exactly

No one is claiming that Russell Wilson was “The First.” But let’s face it, Russell has a defensive minded coach, questionable O-coordinators, and late round/undrafted wide receivers

Drew Brees needed Sean Payton to finally elevate to being a serious QB. There were question marks before that. Doug Flutie?? Lol please, no comparison to Russell’s production and ability. That’s insulting

Russell came in at 5’10. Brees is 6’0. And 2 inches matter...if Brees was 6’2 no one would make a big deal out of it. Wilson was said to be the next Seneca Wallace. A career backup...and he took Matt Flynn’s job. His production, despite the nitpicking has been incredible. Most fans/GMs with a brain would love for Russ to lead their team, hence the Giants rumors

brimsalabim

Reaction score
a couple of things missed with "tiger"...

Look at Davis Love 111's build then look at Tiger. Woods began a trend where golfers had to get into peak shape in order to compete. That trend still holds.

While Tiger is considered by many to be "African American" he is considers himself to be "an american of multi ethnic decent". His father, Earl, was of African-American, Chinese and Native American descent. His mother, Kultida, is of Thai, Chinese and Dutch descent. Athletically he is pretty much the best of every man.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
OKHawksfan":1y9jzzer said:
HawkGA":1y9jzzer said:
Not to hijack the thread, but how did Tiger break the mold? I mean, he was clearly head and shoulder above the field for a long time but aside from being better, was he different? Just seems like if Wilson makes the list it should a list of people who did things differently, not just who was the best at what they did. But I'm also not a golf guy so I don't know much.

I think it is probably because he was an African American in a sport that has largely been white.
I don't think that's it at all; I think it's because he managed to bring super-stardom to golf.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
In addition to everything that has been said about his height and on field performance, he is also a tremendous leader and person. His weekly visits to the children s hospital on his day off and all his contributions to charity is admirable.

Many parents, even parents who don't like football that much or who like other teams still see RW as a great role model for kids.

Not sure that alone makes him a mold breaker as there are many in the NFL who do similar things, but add up all that's been said in this thread and I think it makes him a mold breaker.

chris98251

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1uquaew5 said:
Is Michael Vick on that list? Seems he broke the dam for mobile QBs.

You need to look at history, Staubach, Bobby Douglas, both were there a long time before Vick.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1sh3lkqk said:
Recon_Hawk":1sh3lkqk said:

You need to look at history, Staubach, Bobby Douglas, both were there a long time before Vick.

Nobody was like Vick. Douglas didn't have the arm, Staubach didn't have the speed. Vick came into the league and changed the game. Coaches at every level begin putting their best athletes at QB instead of RB.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3lpuam31 said:
chris98251":3lpuam31 said:
Recon_Hawk":3lpuam31 said:

Nobody was like Vick. Douglas didn't have the arm, Staubach didn't have the speed. Vick came into the league and changed the game. Coaches at every level begin putting their best athletes at QB instead of RB.
When Vick entered the NFL he could run, but he wasn't an impressive passer. It was really only he went to Philadelphia that he turned into a legitimate throwing threat.

That is not to say that he didn't complete any impressive throws in Atlanta, just that he was typically around 230 yards total offense (rushing and passing) per game. The media thought he was amazing, but 230 yards per game total production from the QB? Not very exciting at all.

chris98251

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2bone1ui said:
chris98251":2bone1ui said:
Recon_Hawk":2bone1ui said:

Nobody was like Tarkenton, Staubach, Douglas, or now Wilson till they did what they did, but they have simularities, throw Jum Zorn in that mix as well.

knownone

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1sm58olr said:
chris98251":1sm58olr said:
Recon_Hawk":1sm58olr said:

Before his injury, Randall Cunningham was every bit as elusive as Vick and a better QB. Randall had a 4.3 40 time, set the record for most rushing yards by QB in 1990, 942 Yards, which is better than all but one of Vick seasons, 1039 yards, which is the all-time record.

chris98251

Reaction score
The one thing that every one of them have in common, how they started their careers is not how the played at the end. There had been a toll taken on every one of them in some way.

Sac

Reaction score
OKHawksfan":1vr60u2b said:
HawkGA":1vr60u2b said:
Not to hijack the thread, but how did Tiger break the mold? I mean, he was clearly head and shoulder above the field for a long time but aside from being better, was he different? Just seems like if Wilson makes the list it should a list of people who did things differently, not just who was the best at what they did. But I'm also not a golf guy so I don't know much.

I think it is probably because he was an African American in a sport that has largely been white.

He was also one of the first pro golfers that was actually YOKED. An athlete playing golf.

Now all the young guys are in great shape and can absolutely rip the long ball.