The OLine, personnel questions

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think the OL situation is the most interesting on the team by far. On paper we have some good pieces but there's a lot of moving parts and there's more uncertainty than people think here.

Starting LT - Duane Brown ($10.5m) is under contract for the next three seasons (age 34-36) but very interestingly most of the remaining guaranteed dollars hit this season. The Hawks could move on in 2020 with a minor dead cap hit if his play slips as he gets older. That wouldn't be a surprise historically, and 33-34 is the age at which most of the great LTs have retired recently. Walter Jones, Orlando Pace and Anthony Munoz all played their final seasons at age 34, while Jonathan Ogden and Joe Thomas played their final seasons at age 33. I don't see it as a given at all that Brown will be here in 2020 and 2021 and long-term the Hawks may need a solution.

Backup LT - That could be George Fant ($3.1m 2nd round tender). However, he's not going to be cheap in 2020 ($8m+ likely) and the last time we actually saw him on the field at LT in the regular season it wasn't great. He's a valuable piece in 2019 but then the team has to decide whether he's worth a big contract.

Backup LT - Jamarco Jones ($0.5m) would be a much cheaper option and looks like a valuable contract. He looked great in small sample sizes and is signed through 2021 on a cheap rookie deal. We could probably get a good deal on an extension down the road as well due to the low rookie contract.

Starting LG/RG - ???. UFAs Fluker and Sweezy were both effective contributors last season when healthy, but Fluker has never stayed healthy while Sweezy has always been a lot better with run blocking than pass protecting. Either or both could be continued short term fixes but I don't see either as a long-term solution. I expect the Hawks to draft at least one interior OL this season in the first few rounds.

Backup LG/RG - Ethan Pocic ($1.2m). This will be Pocic's third season and there's a long list of Seahawks OL that made a big jump forwards in their third year. However, they brought in Sweezy because he wasn't playing well at guard in his second season. I think there's still a good chance that he may be Britt's eventual successor at center.

Backup LG/RG - Jordan Roos ($0.6m). Roos has earned a lot of praise in practice and the preseason but he didn't play a snap in a regular game last year and was only active for a few games in 2017. We really don't know that much about him but it seems like a stretch to expect him to take either starting guard spot this year.

Backup LG/RG - Jordan Simmons ($0.68m). ERFA who suffered a season ending knee injury and had off-season surgery on it. Possible starter at RG?

Starting C - Justin Britt ($8m). Locked in as a starter this year, but like Brown his guaranteed dollars are mostly ending this year. His cap hit balloons to $11.6m next season with very little guarantees, so he'll be a likely candidate for some sort of contract rework, extension, or we may replace him with a cheaper option in 2020 (Pocic, Hunt).

Backup C - Joey Hunt ($0.68m - thanks Jammerhawk). They can bring Hunt back for one more year as a restricted free agent. If we wanted to work out a longer deal instead the price would likely be reasonable. He's started 3 games for us in the last three seasons and been active in 20 games.

Backup C - Marcus Henry (0.5m). 2016 UDFA from Boise State who has yet to make a 53 man roster. He's been on and off our practice squad but there's not much public information about his growth.

Starting RT - Germaine Ifedi ($2.6m) is on the final year of his rookie contract but we do have a fifth year option we could exercise on him because we took him in the first round. I'm still not 100% convinced that he shouldn't move inside to RG and sort of like the idea of a right side with Ifedi at RG and Fant at RT.

Backup RT - Elijah Nkansah ($0.5m). Question mark practice squad player that we just promoted to the roster. 6'6" tackle with long 34" arms who was a 2018 UDFA. Draft analysis on him was good strength and power but lack of agility and lateral movement led to him going un drafted. Probably backup RT material.

In summary, we have a lot better depth at OT than OG, and so moving Ifedi inside and starting Fant at RT seems attractive. We could also use further influx of rookie talent here as Brown and Britt may not be on the roster down the road.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Dib, with Hunt it's even better than you thought as he is in fact an Exclusive Rights FA so I suspect he'd be almost automatically re-upped at .675 Mil. to at least compete for a job in camp.

AgentDib

Reaction score
You're right. That seems like a pretty good deal for 2019 unless we draft a 2020 center who spends 2019 as the backup.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
BTW I didn"t say it but great post above, very comprehensive. Thanks!

Notwithtanding the potential losses of Sweezy and Fluker the team has a pretty fair crew to pick from and will have a solid line if both are re-signed, but if not there is good depth here now. The replacement of Cable was more critical than any other offseason move last year.

Fade

Reaction score
I like Jamarco Jones a lot. He will definitely be starting sometime in 2020. LT, RT, maybe LG. It depends on how Duane Brown is holding up, and whether they can find a way to keep Fant.

I also like Fant a lot, and he should start over Ifedi, but they are going to give the 1st rounder the chance to cash in big in a contract year. (He will sign with another team if that ends up being the case.)

Fant & Jones at Tackle give the Seahawks incredible depth at Tackle as they have 4 starters.

Center is well stocked as well. I love Joey Hunt, he played fantastic in his lone start and wished he could've played more. Pocic is a Center that has been playing out of position, but he could be a good starter at Center. then there is Britt who I think is an avg starter, and is overpaid. He will be cut or restructured after 2019.

Guard is where they could stand the biggest upgrade. I would still pursue bringing back Sweezy & Fluker for the short term, but this is the position I would target in the 2019 Draft to try and get a long term starter for the position.

The offensive line is going to take a jump into the top half of the league next season, for the first time in a long time. As long as major problems don't occur at Guard. They have the depth to withstand injury at Center & Tackle.

kf3339

Reaction score
AgentDib":hdt0rm0x said:
I think the OL situation is the most interesting on the team by far. On paper we have some good pieces but there's a lot of moving parts and there's more uncertainty than people think here.

Starting LT - Duane Brown ($10.5m) is under contract for the next three seasons (age 34-36) but very interestingly most of the remaining guaranteed dollars hit this season. The Hawks could move on in 2020 with a minor dead cap hit if his play slips as he gets older. That wouldn't be a surprise historically, and 33-34 is the age at which most of the great LTs have retired recently. Walter Jones, Orlando Pace and Anthony Munoz all played their final seasons at age 34, while Jonathan Ogden and Joe Thomas played their final seasons at age 33. I don't see it as a given at all that Brown will be here in 2020 and 2021 and long-term the Hawks may need a solution.

Backup LT - That could be George Fant ($3.1m 2nd round tender). However, he's not going to be cheap in 2020 ($8m+ likely) and the last time we actually saw him on the field at LT in the regular season it wasn't great. He's a valuable piece in 2019 but then the team has to decide whether he's worth a big contract.

Backup LT - Jamarco Jones ($0.5m) would be a much cheaper option and looks like a valuable contract. He looked great in small sample sizes and is signed through 2021 on a cheap rookie deal. We could probably get a good deal on an extension down the road as well due to the low rookie contract.

Starting LG/RG - ???. UFAs Fluker and Sweezy were both effective contributors last season when healthy, but Fluker has never stayed healthy while Sweezy has always been a lot better with run blocking than pass protecting. Either or both could be continued short term fixes but I don't see either as a long-term solution. I expect the Hawks to draft at least one interior OL this season in the first few rounds.

Backup LG/RG - Ethan Pocic ($1.2m). This will be Pocic's third season and there's a long list of Seahawks OL that made a big jump forwards in their third year. However, they brought in Sweezy because he wasn't playing well at guard in his second season. I think there's still a good chance that he may be Britt's eventual successor at center.

Backup LG/RG - Jordan Roos ($0.6m). Roos has earned a lot of praise in practice and the preseason but he didn't play a snap in a regular game last year and was only active for a few games in 2017. We really don't know that much about him but it seems like a stretch to expect him to take either starting guard spot this year.

Backup LG/RG - Jordan Simmons ($0.68m). ERFA who suffered a season ending knee injury and had off-season surgery on it. Possible starter at RG?

Starting C - Justin Britt ($8m). Locked in as a starter this year, but like Brown his guaranteed dollars are mostly ending this year. His cap hit balloons to $11.6m next season with very little guarantees, so he'll be a likely candidate for some sort of contract rework, extension, or we may replace him with a cheaper option in 2020 (Pocic, Hunt).

Backup C - Joey Hunt ($0.68m - thanks Jammerhawk). They can bring Hunt back for one more year as a restricted free agent. If we wanted to work out a longer deal instead the price would likely be reasonable. He's started 3 games for us in the last three seasons and been active in 20 games.

Backup C - Marcus Henry (0.5m). 2016 UDFA from Boise State who has yet to make a 53 man roster. He's been on and off our practice squad but there's not much public information about his growth.

Starting RT - Germaine Ifedi ($2.6m) is on the final year of his rookie contract but we do have a fifth year option we could exercise on him because we took him in the first round. I'm still not 100% convinced that he shouldn't move inside to RG and sort of like the idea of a right side with Ifedi at RG and Fant at RT.

Backup RT - Elijah Nkansah ($0.5m). Question mark practice squad player that we just promoted to the roster. 6'6" tackle with long 34" arms who was a 2018 UDFA. Draft analysis on him was good strength and power but lack of agility and lateral movement led to him going un drafted. Probably backup RT material.

In summary, we have a lot better depth at OT than OG, and so moving Ifedi inside and starting Fant at RT seems attractive. We could also use further influx of rookie talent here as Brown and Britt may not be on the roster down the road.

This is a really good analysis of our O=Line situation! Good job!

chris98251

Reaction score
We have good guards when Healthy, the trick is to bring in a new player that can take the position and perform and stay healthy.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1100851465537708032[/tweet]

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1100965475956256768[/tweet]

.......................................... leave no stone upturned.

Seymour

Reaction score
Gotta love the fact they have realized the error of their ways and looking for other opinions of oline talent. Progress for damn certain! That said, great players are not always the best talent evaluators. Look no further than Sherman endorsing Tharold Simon as better talent than Sherm had.

Jville

Reaction score
One thing that John Schneider reiterated, again this year, is that it much harder to find good offensive linemen than defensive linemen in spite of league popularity in rotating a lot of defensive linemen.

More high school and college kids want to play on the defensive line than on the offensive line. I wouldn't be surprised to see them look once again for conversions. TE Will Dissly was a successful college conversion. JR Sweezy made the conversion from defense line to offense line at the NFL level.

I'm looking forward to the prospect of another conversion project or two for the blocking game in 2019.

chris98251

Reaction score
That's a good feel moment considering our history with Hutch, Jones and Hutch both part of the evaluation aspect of our O line prospects. We could do worse as far as people who understand how both Tackle and Guards translate to the NFL.

Jville

Reaction score
Very comforting to see Mike Solari on the field with all the combine lineman today. Actively Instructing, directing and encouraging them thru the drills. He should have some very useful impressions to work with going into the draft process.

Seafan

Reaction score
I wonder if the Hawks will change Fant's jersey to a TE number. Save potential penalties. He got a penalty last year when the ref forgot he checked in.

Jville

Reaction score
Seafan":gq9bk50g said:
I wonder if the Hawks will change Fant's jersey to a TE number. Save potential penalties. He got a penalty last year when the ref forgot he checked in.

George Fant really helped out last year as the sixth lineman for heavy formations. However, he remains a lineman rather than a tight end. I'm really looking forward to seeing him take his next step in 2019. Although, they first need to get him resigned.

chris98251

Reaction score
If they resign I expect him in a lot of heavy formations as a 2nd TE with Dizzley or Dickson. Once you find something that works you don't throw it to the wind. We have guys coming off IR and on PS last year also that will compete for LT or RT.

Jville

Reaction score
Free agent Interior linemen are beginning to cash in .....................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1105564684520996864[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1105560246456446976[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1105560137878593537[/tweet]

Edited to add this impending loss: [tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1105583334506164224[/tweet]