Russ thinks he can play 10-15 more years..

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He has a ton of football left in him. At the MINIMUM, they have him under contract in 2019, plus a couple years of franchise tag ability after that. He's in his prime, enjoy it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2st3ahq2 said:
kf3339":2st3ahq2 said:
GeekHawk":2st3ahq2 said:
kf3339":2st3ahq2 said:
There are just too many young and talented QB's coming out of college that can do a more than adequate job.

Yup. Stan Gelbaugh, Rick Mirer, Tarvarus Jackson, Dan McGwier, Kelly Stouffer, Jeff Kemp, John Friesz, Glenn Foley, Brock Huard, Seneca Wallace, Trent Dilfer, and Clipboard Jesus would all agree that it's easy to find a good QB in the draft and win a Super Bowl with him.

These people have all started for the Seahawks over the years. I can't imagine an easier position to fill, just ask any armchair GM who plays fantasy football or Madden.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yep, a few of you completely missed what I said overall, or just wanted to look at only one aspect of my post. I clearly said that the reason a rookie QB could come in and do an adequate job was because we also would be saving over $30M in cap space that could be used in other areas to make the "team better overall". Some forget that RW was in fact a 3rd round prospect and did a good, but not great job in our two Super Bowl game years.

I think we have about 2-3 more years of PC before we bring in a new coach. No telling what that guy will, or will not want for the team and the QB position. My point was clearly that paying well north of $30M a year will hurt too many others areas of the team and that money can be better spent elsewhere. That is in fact what we did with drafting RW in the 3rd round. Okay to disagree but no need to bring up past QB's from very different era's to try and make a point about today.
There is at least two of us who see pretty much the same thing.
Seafan is also right as we could just franchise him 2 yrs after next..I think that happens
unless he is traded.So 2-3 years of Pete and RW?I could live with it but I think we will
see he is not going to be worth $40plus..
As for the TOPIC..He is not playing 10 yrs from now..That body has taken way too many
hits and the legs are going but go ahead and see what you want.
And some of you parrots can keep making shit up. :rofl: ....."See What You Want" BWAAHAAHAHAAHA.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
chris98251":poxzm8yh said:
kf3339":poxzm8yh said:
GeekHawk":poxzm8yh said:
kf3339":poxzm8yh said:
There are just too many young and talented QB's coming out of college that can do a more than adequate job.

Yup. Stan Gelbaugh, Rick Mirer, Tarvarus Jackson, Dan McGwier, Kelly Stouffer, Jeff Kemp, John Friesz, Glenn Foley, Brock Huard, Seneca Wallace, Trent Dilfer, and Clipboard Jesus would all agree that it's easy to find a good QB in the draft and win a Super Bowl with him.

These people have all started for the Seahawks over the years. I can't imagine an easier position to fill, just ask any armchair GM who plays fantasy football or Madden.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yep, a few of you completely missed what I said overall, or just wanted to look at only one aspect of my post. I clearly said that the reason a rookie QB could come in and do an adequate job was because we also would be saving over $30M in cap space that could be used in other areas to make the "team better overall". Some forget that RW was in fact a 3rd round prospect and did a good, but not great job in our two Super Bowl game years.

I think we have about 2-3 more years of PC before we bring in a new coach. No telling what that guy will, or will not want for the team and the QB position. My point was clearly that paying well north of $30M a year will hurt too many others areas of the team and that money can be better spent elsewhere. That is in fact what we did with drafting RW in the 3rd round. Okay to disagree but no need to bring up past QB's from very different era's to try and make a point about today.

It's exactly the reason to disqualify your contention, look at the Browns, the Dolphins, The Bills, the Broncos, just as examples of being able to easily replace their former franchise guys, easy as falling off a log really just look at big name school that won something and draft that guy and your ready to go from what your saying.

Exactly

Hope and Optimism is great but it's not currency. If it was so easy to get a good QB the Browns, Dolphins, Bills, Buccaneers, Jets, etc. wouldn't have sucked for so long.

It's exciting to draft young players, look at their potential, analyze and hope for the best. But NFL history has shown us it rarely works out that way. How many rookie QBs for example have we seen have amazing years then fall off the cliff? Or have a freak injury that throws off their career? Look at Carson Wentz, potential stud but can't stay healthy. Russ has been healthy, has produced at minimum at a Top 7 level (I'd argue Top 5), and is a class act on and off the field. Many truly take him for granted and it's pitiful. Save for height or a small town look and personality, Russ is everything you'd want in a franchise QB

sutz

Reaction score
Ichiro was saying the same thing. He's doing a couple of PR games (that count! ) in Japan this week, but after that, he's done. He went 2-23 at the plate in spring and looked really lost. He must have K'd at least half of those.

Russ may last longer than Pete, but yeah, I think 3-5 years is probably his limit. But then, I've been wrong before. ;)

Seymour

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2nzrbay9 said:
Also try's to avoid the Giants rumor..Doesn't sway me btw :lol:
I don't he has more than 5-6 years left myself..
once the speed is gone it's the end.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rus ... li=BBnb7Kz

You mean like Brees had to retire once he slowed down? :roll:

Or once your vision deteriorates you lose your job, rather than get glasses and adapt?

How narrow and sad to believe that humans cannot adapt to changing conditions.

We should all just jump into the pit of death at age 40.

Chapow

Reaction score
sutz":2svrqhfa said:
Ichiro was saying the same thing. He's doing a couple of PR games (that count! ) in Japan this week, but after that, he's done. He went 2-23 at the plate in spring and looked really lost. He must have K'd at least half of those.

Russ may last longer than Pete, but yeah, I think 3-5 years is probably his limit. But then, I've been wrong before. ;)

Ichiro is 45. Russ is 30. Kind of a big difference.

With the way Russ takes care of himself I think 10 more years is possible. 15? I'd be pretty surprised.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Russell will be an interesting QB to watch to see if he can remain effective as he ages.

He needs his quickness and allusiveness to make plays, so what's going to happen when that diminishes over the next 5-10 years?

Russell certainly has the pocket presence and accuracy to remain effective, but that's only half of what makes him great. It's the other half that may cut his career shorter than his 10-15 years projection.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ParkerLewisJR/status/1107391799998308352[/tweet]

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
hes not going anywhere. He has at least 10 years, left barring injury. Hes a future HOF'er. Without him were a perennial 7-9 8-8 team. Do you like winning? do you like the seahawks in the playoffs? then you'd better hope we re -sign him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2wgn3vw5 said:
IndyHawk":2wgn3vw5 said:
Also try's to avoid the Giants rumor..Doesn't sway me btw :lol:
I don't he has more than 5-6 years left myself..
once the speed is gone it's the end.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rus ... li=BBnb7Kz

Yeah tell that to Tom Brady...

Horrible comparison. Brady takes three step drops and the ball is out, he rarely gets touched, let alone takes the kind of big hits, sacks and punishment on his body that Russell does.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tell me any athlete in his prime that says he is only playing a couple years, the mental make up of a real competitor doesn't stop at a certain age and everyone ages differently, he says 10 or 15 and could do it, or father time can say nope the buck stops here. But in your mind you have to believe you can do something forever almost.

toffee

Reaction score
So far, our Russ has been super durable and have shown ability to improve his game. He also displayed very good work ethic, as well as mental toughness. There is no reason why he couldn’t play into his late 30s.

Could he play at the same level or same style is another story. As he lost some quickness and athleticism, he would have to change his game a bit .... and play his game more like Drew Brees. Interestingly Russ and Brees are more or less the same height, identical arm length and both got big hands.

Don’t think Pete will be coaching into the twilight of Russ’s career. So unlike Brees, Russ May not enjoy the stability of being in the same system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that he had Heaps and Dungy working for his passing academy. I like Russ but I don't see how he can play for the hawks much longer with his financial goals and be successful long term. We need so much right now as it is. We need every dime to try and plug all of the holes in the roster.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":vc0lr5k4 said:
Truth, what is he supposed to say? "I only have 5 years left, I'm getting old" :lol:
Ha Ha..I know right?I also get that he has to believe he can or he never will do it.
The Tom Brady comp was funny also..Brady is a pocket ninja and never needed speed.
As Sgt pointed out:He has pocket presence but that is only part of his game and the
other half relies on moving out and about with speed.
That was and is my concern ..Once the speed is gone-I think he is done..(IndyHawk's opinion)
Do I need to post why? :lol:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Russell Wilson's big issue is his style. It doesn't age well. He relies on elite agility, and change of direction to leave defenders grasping for air. He can get away with back peddling as opposed to stepping up in the pocket due to his unique set of skills. His technical chops aren't the best due to system he plays in. Doesn't really throw a lot of timing routes that are the bread and butter of NFL system. He throws to players that are open more often than throwing his player open if that makes any sense. A lot of this is just due to the system. I think he understands this, we saw him attempting pocket passing a lot more last season.

Ultimately he's going to in a situation that either makes or breaks him sooner or later. It's going to be adapt or die by both the Wilson, and the Carroll camp if he stays. We won't be able to run the same offense effectively without Wilson's mobility. Other mobile QB 's have made the switch, others haven't. Some took a couple of years before they got their pocket passing squared away after an adjustment in their physical abilities. I just hope when that decline in speed/change of direction does happen, that Carroll (if he hasn't retired) adjusts the offense and gives Wilson a chance to succeed.

John63

Reaction score
I don't see how people don't see or want to see how Wilson's style of play has changed over the years. I mean there are some here who still think most of his passing yards come from outside the pocket and the FACTS are he is right up there with other elite qbs. As to his speed or being elusive well maybe they will give him even an avg online and system that will help.

Tical21

Reaction score
Only one qb has won a Super Bowl since 1999 while being paid a top-5 qb salary. No qb has ever won a Super Bowl making over 14.7% of his team's cap. Russ will likely make 18-19% of our cap.

Lots of folks here saying it is a longshot gamble to try and find your next qb. It may, however, be a bigger longshot to try to win a SB while paying into a broken qb economy.

Want to make the playoffs often? Pay your qb.

Want to win a Super Bowl? You probably have to gamble.