Is Doug Baldwin done?

Seymour

Reaction score
Well I would agree on a 4-5 year deal. That would be irresponsible and I don't think anyone would go quite that far. A 3 year deal with an easy escape at year 3 would be the contract I'd be expecting to be offered.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2ltvi91u said:
Well I would agree on a 4-5 year deal. That would be irresponsible and I don't think anyone would go quite that far. A 3 year deal with an easy escape at year 3 would be the contract I'd be expecting to be offered.

Maybe, depends on what he asks for.

#1 WR money right now is 15M+ a year..........so it's very possible if Doug bounces back, has a productive year he could want a gigantic 4-5 year deal at 15M or more per year. He's already hinted at that he might have taken a hometown discount the first extension.

It's the same conversation as Earl or KJ, love those guys to death for how hard they played for us. But I'm not risking that kind of monster extension on 30+ year old players coming off injuries.

flv

Reaction score
Tical21":3qn6p5mh said:
He's safe this year, as cutting him costs 6 mil of dead money, but the injuries probably don't help him for 2020. Last season, we saw the Seahawks shuttle off a lot of veterans, many who had previously had injuries. Then, during the season, their remaining tenured guys, Baldwin, Earl and KJ all missed at least half the season, so you have to think the Seahawks are just about done holding onto older players at this point, sans Russ. They love Doug, but he's going to need a pretty strong season to remain here past it, which he'll probably do.
The $6.287M in dead money can't be avoided and half of it counts this year regardless of whether he stays or goes. Cutting him would accelerate the remaining half of the dead money into the 2019 cap but the Seahawks can move other cap money backwards or forwards if they want to do so. Dead money has no impact on whether to keep him or not. The decision rests on whether or not he's worth the $9.25M base salary plus $750K in potential game day bonuses.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
flv":kceh60qd said:
The $6.287M in dead money can't be avoided and half of it counts this year regardless of whether he stays or goes.
Say WHAT???

If he stays, the "dead money" listed does not count towards the team's salary cap space. You're wrong on that count.

It's only if he is cut or traded would it count as dead money against the team's cap space.

flv

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":tk9vcqvu said:
flv":tk9vcqvu said:
The $6.287M in dead money can't be avoided and half of it counts this year regardless of whether he stays or goes.
Say WHAT???

If he stays, the "dead money" listed does not count towards the team's salary cap space. You're wrong on that count.

It's only if he is cut or traded would it count as dead money against the team's cap space.
Any money paid to a player counts against the team that paid the money. It can be delayed by accounting for it as a signing bonus but it can't be avoided. The Seahawks have already paid Baldwin a total of $6,287,500 that has not yet been accounted for against the cap. Half of that unaccounted for money is going to be accounted for in the cap this year, (in addition to the potential $10M that Baldwin is due in 2019). The other half will count in the 2020 cap. If Baldwin is cut or traded before the June 1 date, (which is actually in May rather than June - but whatever), then the $3,143,750 due to be accounted for in 2020 will accelerate into the 2019 cap. The 2019 salary cap is a $188M bucket. The 2020 cap will likely be a $192M+ bucket. Whichever bucket that last $3M cap hit falls into isn't much of an issue to the Seahawks. The point is it cannot be avoided and thus it shouldn't affect any decision to cut, keep, or trade Baldwin. The issue is whether to keep him at $10M.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
With Baldwin's health somewhat of a question after last year and Lockett approaching a contract year our 2019 FA activity and draft picks should be interesting at WR

Tinymac2

Reaction score
I don't think you worry about him until after next season. He's certainly earned that right. As a fan favorite, we are all hoping he has a big year. If he has another down year, I would expect it to be his last in Seattle. Next man up. Time will tell.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hmmmm.

Avril is interviewing Baldwin on 950 and he mentioned he is recovering from surgeries, and said he has more to come still. Hard to tell with Doug and his tone, but his tone was not that of an optimistic person lets just say. :|

chris98251

Reaction score
He had like three injuries he was playing with last year, I am sure he needs those fixed and you may not be able to do all of them at once.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1wmgsobi said:
If they wanted to move him they would have last season when he was "healthy enough to play" knowing he needed surgery on the knee. He is the driving force on Offense.
He just said today that he has to get a 'core surgery' (aka sports hernia) before the season, and is having s consultation in early April.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1108446545068863488[/tweet]

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":12rw8t27 said:
chris98251":12rw8t27 said:
If they wanted to move him they would have last season when he was "healthy enough to play" knowing he needed surgery on the knee. He is the driving force on Offense.
He just said today that he has to get a 'core surgery' (aka sports hernia) before the season, and is having s consultation in early April.

I don't understand how a football player takes 4 months (3 months?) to get a surgery taken care of. You'd think these would be the types of things you go take care of right after the season ends.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Well he's already had a couple of surgeries since the season ended. The waiting might be out of necessity not doing too many in a short period of time.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2t2wo6r2 said:
chris98251":2t2wo6r2 said:
He just said today that he has to get a 'core surgery'(aka sports hernia) before the season, and is having s consultation in early April.

I’m innocent I swear! 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
Well two knees banged up a shoulder and a sports hernia, getting them done, recovering enough to get the next one, scheduling with the surgeons when other Pros and college players all getting stuff done as well I am sure takes a bit of juggling and finding windows.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This seems ominous.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1108450293367357445[/tweet]

AgentDib

Reaction score
ADB's 2017 restructure was one of several poor decisions made as part of our attempt to go all in for a last hurrah with the old guard. The result of that restructure is that both sides have strong incentives to make it work for 2019. Doug gets another $10 mil cash for playing the season out and the Hawks are on the hook for $6.3m of his cap hit whether he plays or not.

Of course this will need to be a productive year from him for the Hawks to seriously consider his final year in 2020. If it isn't then I could see Doug hanging it up rather than restructuring or playing for a cheap contract elsewhere given his mounting injury history.