Shaquem Griffin's Blog Post

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Own The West":o5kczmqh said:
He's 230+ and runs a 4.4. He's got a place on the team. He just needs to learn the pro game.

Being able to run fast ... and football speed based on instinct/read & react are not the same. If the mental part overwhelms young guys, it greatly affects their on field speed.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":26c82u2h said:
I fear Shaqueem will always be more of a feel-good story of positivity than a competent NFL player. Obviously, he has some extreme barriers to work through - and I commend him for that. But, he didn't show much last season when they tried him at LB. He looked overwhelmed.

The biggest problem is: I'm not so sure what position he can play. He can't shed blocks as a LB, and I don't know if he fits as a SS, either. Is he destined to just be a special teamer?

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and hoping he has a huge leap in Year 2, but I also have my concerns. Hopefully he is buckling down and moving away from the commercials and all the attention and concentrating on his play on the field.

Since he cost a 5th rounder if he could become a special teams demon it would be a pick well spent.

I think it's pretty rare for 5th rounders to become starters and if we go 2 for 3 with Dickson and Flowers I'd say we did pretty good.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28afuw11 said:
FlyingGreg":28afuw11 said:
I
He's got the perfect size, speed and length to play KJ's WIL position, but he had a VERY hard time grasping schemes and fits..........as was evident in the Denver game where he singlehandedly gave up a long TD because he was out of position.

That's the kind of stuff Pete hinted at. It's not the physical side.

Ah man you saw that too. He literally froze as Lindsay ran in for a TD. It was one of the worst plays on film I've ever seen.

I don't judge him for it because he clearly wasn't ready.

FWIW Griffin looked really good in the pre-season so not all is lost.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3mx7kxim said:
Own The West":3mx7kxim said:
He's 230+ and runs a 4.4. He's got a place on the team. He just needs to learn the pro game.

Being able to run fast ... and football speed based on instinct/read & react are not the same. If the mental part overwhelms young guys, it greatly affects their on field speed.

Spot on with this. Sherman was a 4.5-4.6 guy but he played like a 4.4 guy at times because he could read plays so well and get to spots.

Seafan

Reaction score
Shaquem is a tweener like Malcom Smith. He's not likely going to be an effective every down LB. Pete talked about his pass rushing skills. I can see the Hawks using him as a situational blitzing LB.

He may surprise everyone and take a big step up this year. I hope he concentrates on being the best ST coverage guy he can be. That would be the most helpful right now.

John63

Reaction score
I hope everything works out for him, not just because of his physical hurdles but just because he is an exceptional person.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
He was a good player in College, and I firmly believe he will be a "good to great" player in the NFL. Like mentioned above, he has the physical traits, he just needs to slow it down a little.

I think he, and his brother take a big step this year, as well with other players. This Defense is going to make a big jump, just hope we can get Frank Clark to sign on.