Compensatory picks

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I never liked the strategy of losing free agents to acquire compensatory picks. I believe it to be a flawed strategy. You never get the equal value (present) of the player you lost. Next there is the high uncertainty on whether you receive a pick or not plus if that player you choose with the pick amounts to anything. It's a very high risk. But most of all, I don't like it because it doesn't help to compensate for the loss of the player in the current season that you lose them. You have to wait until the following season.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
lukerguy":l0zahnbj said:
Getting a 4th for Coleman is pretty awesome. He's a great corner and I'm sad to see him go, but 4th round comp is legit.

Yup you gave up a 7th for him, got two solid years and get a 4th back. Not bad value

HawkGA

Reaction score
hawkfan68":8gxhqorb said:
I never liked the strategy of losing free agents to acquire compensatory picks. I believe it to be a flawed strategy. You never get the equal value (present) of the player you lost. Next there is the high uncertainty on whether you receive a pick or not plus if that player you choose with the pick amounts to anything. It's a very high risk. But most of all, I don't like it because it doesn't help to compensate for the loss of the player in the current season that you lose them. You have to wait until the following season.

It's not just the compensation of the pick though. Surely that's not going to be of equal value given that the max pick you can get is a 3rd rounder. Throw in that draft picks miss and it's certainly not a winning strategy on its own.

But it isn't on its own. You save money by letting the high priced player go, money that can be used elsewhere. But you do get the extra draft pick to help out.

So you wouldn't want to build a team by letting good players go, but it absolutely makes sense to be cognizant of how you sign incoming free agents so as not to lose the comp picks.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we'll lose the Mike Davis comp pick at least since there are several big-ticket UFA out there that haven't signed yet (Based on the 32 pick limit).

So assuming we're only going to get 3 comp picks at most and maybe only 2, I'd say we're still open to free agents.

(Not suggesting we kick the tires on Liuget or Danny Shelton either. Not at all...)

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2kkely5x said:

Yes and no, you can trade compensatory picks now so teams may trade their original 3rd knowing they have another third coming.

The Patriots seem to have it down, keep your key players but don't be afraid to let players who are overpaid walk.

Sign free agents for value but don't blow your cap on some guy you will cut in two years.

danp1990

Reaction score
So a 3rd,4th,and 2 6th Rd comp picks for 2020, but we have 0 for this year's draft?.. so we're screwed this year barring a trade back from JS to add 1 or 2 more lower picks if a team want to move up to our 21st spot?

God this year's draft ain't looking fun at all right now.Only 4picks this year at the moment .

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Seattle does very well in the later rounds it's what this team is built on really. So it doesn't really matter where you find talent as long as your able to and Pete and John have been able to. Most of there really big mistakes has been trading draft picks for veterans they have gotten burned there a few times and got basically nothing to show for it a year or two later. Were set at RB at least no worries there. WR is still an issue though and they really need to make a serious effort to find a big target WR with some speed. Moore really fell flat the last few games and I don't think he's starting material I guess we'll see.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
danp1990":2q8r34ky said:
So a 3rd,4th,and 2 6th Rd comp picks for 2020, but we have 0 for this year's draft?.. so we're screwed this year barring a trade back from JS to add 1 or 2 more lower picks if a team want to move up to our 21st spot?

God this year's draft ain't looking fun at all right now.Only 4picks this year at the moment .
Seattle will end up with 6 or 7 picks in the end. They will trade their 1st rounder to add a pick for starters and go from there.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I for one hope the team is not moved to lose any of their maximum 4 comp picks for next year by signing any UFA not exempt from the comp pick calculation until May 9th or whenever it is that the comp pick calculation applies.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2fle62fn said:
danp1990":2fle62fn said:

Seattle will end up with 6 or 7 picks in the end. They will trade their 1st rounder to add a pick for players to be cut quickly and go from there.

FIFY

sutz

Reaction score
danp1990":1x1ipb03 said:

I didn't realize the draft was supposed to "fun." :twisted:

AgentDib

Reaction score
mikeak":vm1z8rzu said:
They will trade their 1st rounder to add a pick for players to be cut quickly and go from there.
Having trouble thinking of any impactful Seahawks picked after the first round? Maybe you could try closing your eyes, spinning in a circle and pointing at a random player.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mikeak":2lclppn0 said:
Sports Hernia":2lclppn0 said:
danp1990":2lclppn0 said:

Seattle will end up with 6 or 7 picks in the end. They will trade their 1st rounder to add a pick for players to be cut quickly and go from there.

FIFY

Posts like this are unproductive. Chris Carson was a 7th round pick. Tre Flowers and Michael Dickson were each a fifth rounder. KJ Wright was a fourth and I can think of at least two Pro Bowl defensive backs who were picked in that range, but I left that example alone because they belonged to a DB profile that has since risen immeasurably in value (thanks largely to Pete) and now gets picked higher. But the point stands.

A late-round pick is generally expected to be cut. The fact that Pete has found even a handful of starter-quality players consistently out of that range for several years places him head and shoulders above most of the league. We've still got several in backup positions, and even those are higher than the expected average value of late-round picks.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Are we basically tanking this free agency (and in some ways this season) in order to land four extra picks next draft?

sigh

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
mikeak":d7cwx74k said:
Sports Hernia":d7cwx74k said:
danp1990":d7cwx74k said:

FIFY

Even for trolling that was weak.

They miss a lot of 3rd day picks but you have to admit they have nailed a bunch of them too.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2er6r2am said:
Are we basically tanking this free agency...
Maybe you could name some players who have already signed that you think we should have paid more to play for us? Also, who would you have released in order to accomplish that? As it is, we have enough to sign our draft class and pick up a handful of value FA post May 9th.

The comp picks are just a nice bonus. The main thing is not overspending in free agency on veterans who won't live up to their contracts.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2xu9ujwg said:
Are we basically tanking this free agency (and in some ways this season) in order to land four extra picks next draft?

sigh
Why don't you put together a proposal or two for the team to sign existing free agents within the team's salary cap for all of us to evaluate and weigh in on?

Can you do that? Let's see what you have.

mikeak

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":23awtjps said:
mikeak":23awtjps said:
Sports Hernia":23awtjps said:
danp1990":23awtjps said:

FIFY

They miss a lot of 3rd day picks but you have to admit they have nailed a bunch of them too.

That is not my point. What has annoyed me immensely over the past few years us giving away draft picks in trades like they were Skittles being sprinkled over the crowd by Lynch. Everybody justifies it with oh they were 6th and 7th rounders that don't really mean much.

Then come draft day they take a first round pick and trade down. They lose out on the fifth year option that comes with a first rounder but get low round picks back. Suddenly those picks are oh so freaking valuable....

I wish they made up their mind on how they treat them and recognize increased risk with lower round picks and actually kept their first rounder for once

AgentDib

Reaction score
mikeak":b2bzfx3c said:
What has annoyed me immensely over the past few years us giving away draft picks in trades like they were Skittles being sprinkled over the crowd by Lynch. Everybody justifies it with oh they were 6th and 7th rounders that don't really mean much.
You are right to be annoyed if we really do give some away for free because your instinct that they are valuable is correct. However, the Hawks do see them as a valuable assets and trade them for players that could be valuable in return. Some moves just don't work out. Not every player we pick in the 5th round becomes a star either.

Justin Coleman was a great return for a 7th round pick. I don't like the Hundley trade either, but that has nothing to do with giving away a pick. The Hundley trade is about Pete deciding we had no viable #2 QB option and being unwilling to risk a lost season due to an injury to Russ.
mikeak":b2bzfx3c said:
They lose out on the fifth year option that comes with a first rounder but get low round picks back.
Would you even take Ifedi's fifth year option if you were in charge? The team has to decide on that very soon.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mikeak":16ilvm4u said:
WestcoastSteve":16ilvm4u said:
mikeak":16ilvm4u said:
Sports Hernia":16ilvm4u said:

FIFY

That is not my point. What has annoyed me immensely over the past few years us giving away draft picks in trades like they were Skittles being sprinkled over the crowd by Lynch. Everybody justifies it with oh they were 6th and 7th rounders that don't really mean much.

Then come draft day they take a first round pick and trade down. They lose out on the fifth year option that comes with a first rounder but get low round picks back. Suddenly those picks are oh so freaking valuable....

I wish they made up their mind on how they treat them and recognize increased risk with lower round picks and actually kept their first rounder for once
I could have swore they drafted in the first round last year and took Penny.