Compensatory picks

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mikeak":13d96a1n said:
WestcoastSteve":13d96a1n said:
mikeak":13d96a1n said:
Sports Hernia":13d96a1n said:
Seattle will end up with 6 or 7 picks in the end. They will trade their 1st rounder to add a pick for players to be cut quickly and go from there.

FIFY

Even for trolling that was weak.

They miss a lot of 3rd day picks but you have to admit they have nailed a bunch of them too.

That is not my point. What has annoyed me immensely over the past few years us giving away draft picks in trades like they were Skittles being sprinkled over the crowd by Lynch. Everybody justifies it with oh they were 6th and 7th rounders that don't really mean much.

Then come draft day they take a first round pick and trade down. They lose out on the fifth year option that comes with a first rounder but get low round picks back. Suddenly those picks are oh so freaking valuable....

I wish they made up their mind on how they treat them and recognize increased risk with lower round picks and actually kept their first rounder for once

There isn't a huge difference talent-wise between the last 10 picks in the first round and the first 10 picks in the second round. Otherwise you wouldn't see everyone going "ohhh I wish they'd have taken X with our early second-round pick, he should have been a first-rounder and we let him slip away".

chris98251

Reaction score
mikeak":1lfo9ql5 said:
WestcoastSteve":1lfo9ql5 said:
mikeak":1lfo9ql5 said:
Sports Hernia":1lfo9ql5 said:
Seattle will end up with 6 or 7 picks in the end. They will trade their 1st rounder to add a pick for players to be cut quickly and go from there.

FIFY

They miss a lot of 3rd day picks but you have to admit they have nailed a bunch of them too.

That is not my point. What has annoyed me immensely over the past few years us giving away draft picks in trades like they were Skittles being sprinkled over the crowd by Lynch. Everybody justifies it with oh they were 6th and 7th rounders that don't really mean much.

Then come draft day they take a first round pick and trade down. They lose out on the fifth year option that comes with a first rounder but get low round picks back. Suddenly those picks are oh so freaking valuable....

I wish they made up their mind on how they treat them and recognize increased risk with lower round picks and actually kept their first rounder for once

You need to look big picture, signing high round picks cost more, 5th year option is another control aspect that is an exception rather then the rule, say you have a QB or a WR that you know is going to cost you 10 million more then it makes sense, but a lineman it doesn't necessarily unless it's an edge rusher that is dominant.

It's about keeping the Cap low and believing in your evaluation and ability to coach up guys, does it work every time? No, but we have a track record of success here now to state it works more then it fails especially late rounders that is far and away better then the rest of the league. We bring guys in, redshirt them on PS or IR and we start seeing their contributions the second and third year most times.

I read that most GM's that are successful only hit on like 35 or so percent of their draft picks, now think about the ones that are less successful and what their rates are, John and Pete get contributions from a large percentage of their picks as well as a huge return from the UDFA they sign. It's just not in the year we sign them a lot.

Give me 3 - 7 on the PS and as spot contributors that turn into starters by year 2 or three, versus a bunch of 1 - 15 draft picks that have egos, attitudes, are not hungry and are a 50/50 hit miss also but you have more pressure to put them in because of draft position and salary before they are ready.

Ifedi I think falls into that category, Cable didn't help him granted. Penny I think was brought along the right way, we expected more but Pete spoon fed him a lot and we should see this coming season how he has matured.

But that is a great example of High round picks not producing any better then a Hungry 7th rounder in Carson who was injured his rookie year but was contributing out of the gate.

Poona Ford is the next guy you can look at as a hungry guy doing things that higher draft picks have not been able to do as well, heart is something you can't measure easily and Pete seems to know how to get these types of players fired up to eclipse High round picked talent on the field.

The more hits we have with Carson's, Baldwin's and Ford's the more we can keep Wilson's Clarks and Wagner's on the team.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":2789ey41 said:
mikeak":2789ey41 said:
WestcoastSteve":2789ey41 said:
mikeak":2789ey41 said:

You need to look big picture, signing high round picks cost more, 5th year option is another control aspect that is an exception rather then the rule, say you have a QB or a WR that you know is going to cost you 10 million more then it makes sense, but a lineman it doesn't necessarily unless it's an edge rusher that is dominant.

It's about keeping the Cap low and believing in your evaluation and ability to coach up guys, does it work every time? No, but we have a track record of success here now to state it works more then it fails especially late rounders that is far and away better then the rest of the league. We bring guys in, redshirt them on PS or IR and we start seeing their contributions the second and third year most times.

I read that most GM's that are successful only hit on like 35 or so percent of their draft picks, now think about the ones that are less successful and what their rates are, John and Pete get contributions from a large percentage of their picks as well as a huge return from the UDFA they sign. It's just not in the year we sign them a lot.

Give me 3 - 7 on the PS and as spot contributors that turn into starters by year 2 or three, versus a bunch of 1 - 15 draft picks that have egos, attitudes, are not hungry and are a 50/50 hit miss also but you have more pressure to put them in because of draft position and salary before they are ready.

Ifedi I think falls into that category, Cable didn't help him granted. Penny I think was brought along the right way, we expected more but Pete spoon fed him a lot and we should see this coming season how he has matured.

But that is a great example of High round picks not producing any better then a Hungry 7th rounder in Carson who was injured his rookie year but was contributing out of the gate.

Poona Ford is the next guy you can look at as a hungry guy doing things that higher draft picks have not been able to do as well, heart is something you can't measure easily and Pete seems to know how to get these types of players fired up to eclipse High round picked talent on the field.

The more hits we have with Carson's, Baldwin's and Ford's the more we can keep Wilson's Clarks and Wagner's on the team.

Great point.