Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Report: Seahawks suspect Wilson wants to play for other team

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1756959/report-seahawks-suspect-wilson-wants-to-play-elsewhere

The Seattle Seahawks sense Pro Bowl quarterback Russell Wilson wants to play for another team, a league source told Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.

Seattle also believes Wilson's unspoken desire to move on has led him to take a harder stance during contract negotiations, according to Florio.

Wilson, who's spent his entire career in Seattle, previously gave the Seahawks an April 15 deadline to complete an extension.

Rumors throughout the offseason have linked Wilson to the New York Giants. No credible reports have substantiated that speculation, though Kansas City Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu seems to believe Wilson does indeed have his sights set on the Big Apple.

Tyrann Mathieu

@Mathieu_Era
    Russ wants New York. But you ain’t heard that from T..

ProFootballTalk

@ProFootballTalk
    As his April 15 deadline looms, it's fair to wonder whether Russell Wilson actually wants to stay with the Seahawks (because the Seahawks are wondering whether he doesn't) https://wp.me/p14QSB-aX1s

11:19 PM - Apr 13, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    551 people are talking about this
    Wilson has one year left on his current deal with Seattle but the team could use the franchise tag to keep him off the open market once it expires.

The 30-year-old pivot has earned six Pro Bowl selections in seven years with the Seahawks and led the club to a championship in Super Bowl XLVIII. Seattle has made the playoffs in all but one season since selecting Wilson out of Wisconsin in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Wilson threw for 3,448 yards with 35 touchdowns and seven interceptions last season
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Pete’s system is proven and it works but it’s not for most. With the right cast, all bought in, we’ve seen what it can do. We’d better get the haul of the century. Don’t think Pete’s changing Philosophy any time soon. Russ is actually a good fit and n NY, but he’s a great fit in Pete’s system, we’ll see.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• So after being treated like just another cog in the wheel for 3 years, a pro bowl QB wants a team that will likely protect him and utilize all his talents. Shocking. We lost the playoff game against the Cowboys because of poor, 4th qtr. play calling. We lost a Super Bowl that way too. Loyalty goes both ways. If I was Wilson, I’d run; but not on the Seahawks’ playing field. If we lose him, I won’t give up my season tickets, but I will sell them. I’m sick of this sh*t. They got the running game back together and that’s great. But I can’t take another season of the frustration of knowing how good we could be on offense if the head coach and coordinator would simply use common sense. Everyone sees it, they know it and somehow it gets lost in the hoopla of the defense and the maneuverings of the coaching staff and front office.
    glad2bdada3
    NET Practice Squad

• Giant? May be the LA Charger will do a Rivers + picks for Wilson? LA has Hollywood and nicer weather; Charger has way better roster than Giants. Rivers could offer Hawks time to find and develop that next Wilson, but wait, Hawks could just keep Wilson.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• I'd imagine he wants to play in NY. However, with what Oakland has done, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gruden overpay massively for WIlson both in contract and trade- Carr, 4th overall, 1st next.
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• There sure is a lot of smoke around this rumor. Concerning.

That said, this forum is way more interesting when there is a full blown QB controversy.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Is Seattle that awful a place that everyone wants out? I m perplexed. You never hear Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay and that’s a pretty small market frozen wasteland.

I can’t see how this is really true. Successful franchise, dedicated to winning, stable ownership and FO. Why would someone leave unless he’s eyeing the Michael Strahan career post football.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• I don't like this one bit. Too much smoke.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie

• The exact same style of bravado was being exerted last time Russ’s contract was being negotiated in 2015. The same culprit: Mark Rodgers. Russ’s agent.

This, from an NBC article at the time -

Rodgers had put a Friday deadline to get a deal done, stating talks would be cut off and Wilson would become a free agent next season.

If no new contract was signed, Wilson faced being tagged as the franchise player next February

Source

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/nfl ... n-seahawks

There’s a familiarity to this headline-making, wouldn’t you say?
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• Nothing new here. New York theory has been around for a couple of months. Russ and Ciara both like NY - big stage for both, big media, big endorsements, etc...
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

• If Russ leaves, do not sign Wagner or Clark. Start the rebuild right now and prepare for the future. Russ has elevated everyone around him including his coaches. Everyone can enjoy the 8-8 seasons until Carroll and Shotty retire or get kicked to the curb.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• bevellisthedevil wrote:If Russ leaves, do not sign Wagner or Clark. Start the rebuild right now and prepare for the future. Russ has elevated everyone around him including his coaches. Everyone can enjoy the 8-8 seasons until Carroll and Shotty retire or get kicked to the curb.

Why not Clark? I would think a 25 year old pass rusher with a career trajectory pointing way up is the exact type of asset you’d want to prepare for the future with.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• kobebryant wrote:
    Why not Clark? I would think a 25 year old pass rusher with a career trajectory pointing way up is the exact type of asset you’d want to prepare for the future with.

He had a great year last year. He wants Lawrence money. I'm just saying if you lose Wilson, there is no reason to sink money into any player that once you are competing for a championship he will be in decline.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• Typical behavior from his agent Mark Rodgers who is leaking this shit to get leverage.
    Agents, especially baseball agents pull this move all of the time, Mark Rodgers is primarily a baseball agent.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Mad Dog wrote:Is Seattle that awful a place that everyone wants out? I m perplexed. You never hear Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay and that’s a pretty small market frozen wasteland.

I can’t see how this is really true. Successful franchise, dedicated to winning, stable ownership and FO. Why would someone leave unless he’s eyeing the Michael Strahan career post football.

If the rumors are true I don’t think Seattle is the problem. Wilson just seems like a guy who wants to be in New York. He idolized Jeter growing up. He asked for a trade so he could attend spring training with the Yankees. His camp leaked the New York rumors...

This could all be a negotiating tactic, but it certainly seems more like Russell’s true intention.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• glad2bdada3 wrote:So after being treated like just another cog in the wheel for 3 years, a pro bowl QB wants a team that will likely protect him and utilize all his talents. Shocking. We lost the playoff game against the Cowboys because of poor, 4th qtr. play calling. We lost a Super Bowl that way too. Loyalty goes both ways. If I was Wilson, I’d run; but not on the Seahawks’ playing field. If we lose him, I won’t give up my season tickets, but I will sell them. I’m sick of this sh*t. They got the running game back together and that’s great. But I can’t take another season of the frustration of knowing how good we could be on offense if the head coach and coordinator would simply use common sense. Everyone sees it, they know it and somehow it gets lost in the hoopla of the defense and the maneuverings of the coaching staff and front office.

Well said and I agree .
    summesm
    NET Rookie

• Mad Dog wrote:Is Seattle that awful a place that everyone wants out? I m perplexed. You never hear Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay and that’s a pretty small market frozen wasteland.

It's not personal, Seattle (the city) is to taste.

For some people, it's great.

For others, the isolated location, weather, etc. are not their cup of tea.

If (and obviously thats a big if) that's true of Russ....or even if he loves Seattle but he and his wife would rather the limelight of NY, then it is what it is.

Interesting that after all this teeth knashing about what Pete and crew should do with Russ, it may not come down to what they want at all. If he wants out, then lets get the best haul possible and focus on re-tooling for a new run.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Russ posted a tweet from a prosperity gospel preacher (I think TD Jakes but I’m not sure ), and it was about taking courage to be rich, famous , powerful.. etc.

I believe Russ is being his true self to seek in a word, MORE. If he believes his true brand and riches are limited in Seattle and elevated in NY, he will execute his plan. He will. There’s no denying his scope of brand is greater in NY so if that’s the case, then Russ will be a Giant.

Be prepared that Seattle is Ashton, and Ciara is the big apple. Russ will get what he want a y’all better hope he doesn’t believe that or it’s already done.
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• This is totally normal to see these articles. People want you to click the link, they :roll: get paid for the clicks.

The reality is Seattle basically has 3 years of control over Russell Wilson.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• glad2bdada3 wrote:So after being treated like just another cog in the wheel for 3 years, a pro bowl QB wants a team that will likely protect him and utilize all his talents. Shocking. We lost the playoff game against the Cowboys because of poor, 4th qtr. play calling. We lost a Super Bowl that way too. Loyalty goes both ways. If I was Wilson, I’d run; but not on the Seahawks’ playing field. If we lose him, I won’t give up my season tickets, but I will sell them. I’m sick of this sh*t. They got the running game back together and that’s great. But I can’t take another season of the frustration of knowing how good we could be on offense if the head coach and coordinator would simply use common sense. Everyone sees it, they know it and somehow it gets lost in the hoopla of the defense and the maneuverings of the coaching staff and front office.

I agree with you, but still not convinced all this rumor Rama is true.
    John63
    NET Starter

• bevellisthedevil wrote:If Russ leaves, do not sign Wagner or Clark. Start the rebuild right now and prepare for the future. Russ has elevated everyone around him including his coaches. Everyone can enjoy the 8-8 seasons until Carroll and Shotty retire or get kicked to the curb.

8-8 LOL try 5-11 at best no Wilson, no Clark, no Wagner yeah right 5-11 if we are lucky
    John63
    NET Starter

• Even if all this New York crap is true (and I take it with a grain of salt), the bottom line is that Russ is still under contract. John and Pete still hold all the cards. If Russ is outta here, it would take the haul to end all hauls with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• Maybe worse? I think his point about trading Wagner and Frank Clark is that you may as well clear the roster if you're going to get rid of Wilson.

Love the team but, I'd be hard pressed to show love if we decide to part ways with him without A. Grabbing the haul of the century and B. Proving through W's it was the right move.

I don't buy the concept of being isolated....the bigger market thing? Maybe...but, is Lebron bigger in LA than he was in Cleveland? From a marketing perspective, is Tom Brady less marketable because he's in NE?

These celebrities hop flights just to change the weather. If he leaves, I think it really comes down to the game itself. Not utilizing his passing ability like we should, not trusting him more (audibles)....and less game related but (equally if not more important), the NFL's jacked up CBA. One size doesn't fit all...

The decision made with his contract/trade will have the biggest effect on this franchise's history bar none.

Stressful......
    Elemas
    NET Rookie

• I'm torn on this.

Would love for Wilson to retire as a Seahawk, but only if he wants to be here.

The Vikings should have made a play for him instead of selling the farm for Cousins.
    Mick063
    NET Veteran

• Two 1s, Two 2s, and Evan Engram is what I would expect back from the Giants.

Take Haskins with the #6 pick and hope for the best
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• This is the problem with America, people react to everything printed and posted these days without thinking and looking deeper.

Heard they are building a Nuclear waste plant on Queen Anne Next year also, better sell and move out now your property Values are going to drop quickly :P
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• He wants to host the Today Show or something similar.
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

• Is New York a better fit to try and get a mediocre music career going?
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• This is just another spinoff of the Cowherd piece that started with the entertainment agent chatter just that because honey badger kicked it off again it's suddenly true? Please.... :roll: :snack:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:This is the problem with America, people react to everything printed and posted these days without thinking and looking deeper.

Heard they are building a Nuclear waste plant on Queen Anne Next year also, better sell and move out now your property Values are going to drop quickly :P

You are right, however in fairness:

A. Most of the people in this thread have acknowledged that there are grains of salt to to be taken.

B. There sure has been a lot of smoke surrounding Russ and NY. At some point we have to acknowledge that there may be some truth to the rumors.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:This is just another spinoff of the Cowherd piece that started with the entertainment agent chatter just that because honey badger kicked it off again it's suddenly true? Please.... :roll: :snack:

Didn't the article state that the Seahawks are suspicious? That doesn't sound like "truth" to me.

Just more concerning smoke and such.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Most importantly I DON'T think this is true, but if it is true, I think the answer is obvious:

If you're Russell Wilson and you're 30 years old why would you want to be stuck in this offense?

Wilson was 3rd in the NFL in QB rating and the Seahawks were last in the NFL in pass attempts per game.

Everyone else down in the bottom for pass attempts is running a lot because their QBs suck. The Seahawks are doing it as a matter of philosophy. Wilson's rating is nearly 20 points higher than two of the other guys in the bottom five for pass attempts, and more than 40 points higher than the other two. That's insane. Two guys with QB ratings in the 60s got to take more pass attempts per game than Wilson last year. :D

While the rest of the NFL is incorporating air raid schemes to make their mediocre QBs look very good, you're running stone age passing concepts when you're even allowed to throw. Why would any wildly talented QB want to spend their last prime years just handing the ball off over and over again?

Again, I think he stays, but if he wants to go that's the answer IMO.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• It’s impossible to know if this is BS.. usually when there’s smoke from many areas , there’s fire . I just hope that IF is is true, the hawks if their value now rather than handling like the redskins.
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

massari
    NET Veteran

• Interviews with players, specifically Duane Brown said they know they need to feature Russ more and not force the run just to be a 'running team'. He essentially blamed the Cowboys playoff loss on neutering Russ and sticking with a broken gameplan to run well. Love the run first mentality to punish the other defense, we also have a top 5 QB who needs to be throwing more than he did last year. I would assume the FO knows this.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote: Love the run first mentality to punish the other defense, we also have a top 5 QB who needs to be throwing more than he did last year. I would assume the FO knows this.

What is this mysterious and hypothetical philosophy of which you speak?

It only applies if you mean the first play of some games is a run. That's run first, then pass.

But it certainly doesn't mean "run a lot more than pass," which is how most people here use it.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:
    mistaowen wrote: Love the run first mentality to punish the other defense, we also have a top 5 QB who needs to be throwing more than he did last year. I would assume the FO knows this.

What is this mysterious and hypothetical philosophy of which you speak?

It only applies if you mean the first play of some games is a run. That's run first, then pass.

But it certainly doesn't mean "run a lot more than pass," which is how most people here use it.

we go run, run, pass on over 75% of our plays that is what he means. this philosophy creates a lot of 3rd and longs. In addition, the point was our philosophy of run, run, pass also causes a forgetfulness of the pass, which leads to more come from behind requirements, or even waiting to long see Dallas -playoff game. Last year we ran 534 times and passed 427 so yes we ran more than we passed by over 100 times. We ran 34 times a game on avg, and passed 26. So yes we ran more than we passed, even at times despite it not working.
    John63
    NET Starter

• SNDavidson wrote:Pete’s system is proven and it works but it’s not for most. With the right cast, all bought in, we’ve seen what it can do. We’d better get the haul of the century. Don’t think Pete’s changing Philosophy any time soon. Russ is actually a good fit and n NY, but he’s a great fit in Pete’s system, we’ll see.

That's just it...it hasn't been "working" for quite sometime now.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

• I've said it before, but I'll say it again......I doubt if RW could handle the NY press. They can be brutal.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

• Probably not true ... but just because I am bored ... not only signing Russ should be the priority .. also giving him the Peyton Manning keys to the offense, so he can call all the plays, while taking suggestions from the coaches.. should be the way forward. Pete you about competing? Well then spare #3 the all about the ball talk and save it for the other 52 .. #3 gets turn overs are bad. He understood it in college even at NC State ... your a great coach Pete but a QB guru .. your not.

Holmgren on the radio is always saying I want him to cut it loose .. well that is hard to do with Pete always .. ocding in your ear about protecting the ball... Love Pete ... love them all but just saying.

Love Russ and I bleed Seahawk colors but he does look pretty good in the Giants uniform .. relax .. just having fun with all this but lets say Russ does want out .. God forbid. This is what I want

ELI
    MANNING
    and most of if not all of there draft, that is where I start the conversations anyway at least the first half up to like round 4 and some picks down the road too.

After hearing all this I looked at Eli's numbers .. he is making like 10 million and he is still a gamer and I still believe in our coaches and the players we have on the roster not to mention the talent we would be bringing in with all those picks.

That's it .. nothing less than that .. despite what the national media thinks about Russ .. he is one of the best QB's in the league and is being held back by Pete ball .. not saying I hate Pete, like I said I love him .. one of the best coaches ever .. but Russ would thrive under an offensive minded head coach who the Giants should hire if they traded for him.

Hopefully and probably this is all B.S. they sign Russ and I just wasted my time thinking and writing about all this.
    JPC4Days
    NET Practice Squad

• I'm really worried. I thought JS could have gotten Russ to bite on a 4 year contract with atleast 110 mil guaranteed.
    I guess our "little" QB really wants to become a Giant.
    PC shouldn't have promised Wilson a "masters level" quarterback experience and keep providing high school curriculum. Sigh....
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• These trade talks of Russell is highly entertaining.

Guess what? There is NO CHANCE that JS and PC lets him go.

NONE.

So move on to the next topic.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Russ Willstrong wrote:I'm really worried. I thought JS could have gotten Russ to bite on a 4 year contract with atleast 110 mil guaranteed.
    I guess our "little" QB really wants to become a Giant.
    PC shouldn't have promised Wilson a "masters level" quarterback experience and keep providing high school curriculum. Sigh....

Well for one you are assuming they offered that, maybe they have not, maybe they will. The reality is we don't know what has or has not been offered. Just people making stuff up to allow them to much a side or push their opinion. Example look at you, you say 4 year with 110 guaranteed and say Wilson must have wanted to be a giant implying they offered him that, and he said no, When the reality is you don't know. You post make sit clear you paint Wilson as the bad guy or reason there is no deal, when the reality is it could be the hawks, For all we know they low balled the heck out of him, or he asked for the moon, we don't know. Just a lot of people making stuff up that is all.
    John63
    NET Starter

• FlyingGreg wrote:
    SNDavidson wrote:Pete’s system is proven and it works but it’s not for most. With the right cast, all bought in, we’ve seen what it can do. We’d better get the haul of the century. Don’t think Pete’s changing Philosophy any time soon. Russ is actually a good fit and n NY, but he’s a great fit in Pete’s system, we’ll see.

That's just it...it hasn't been "working" for quite sometime now.

If Pete system isn't working then Belichick is the only coach in the NFL who's system is working then.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• People really do believe everything they read. Good stuff. He'll be under center in Seattle in September. Next
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:People really do believe everything they read. Good stuff. He'll be under center in Seattle in September. Next
    Yep, again, he’s under contract. Seahawks don’t “have to” do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• I'm still waiting for actual PROOF that he doesn't want to play in Seattle. And no, a bunch of media and fans claiming it doesn't make it truth. Until I see him traded on his own demand, or better yet hear it from HIM I'm not buying it. And even IF he wanted to play somewhere else, the Hawks are the ones who can see to it he stays at least 3 or 4 more seasons. If he plays out this year and two franchise years, still pretty good deal for the Hawks $ wise.
    Local media here acting like he is A-Rod all the sudden :roll:
    Florio is a blow hard who is ALWAYS looking to make crap up and/or create something that doesn't exist.
    And for all we know (and it's all just a guessing game) this is about Mark Rogers going against the NFL.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Lets just assume these rumors are true which may or may not be... that being said, one player does not define a team... yeah Wilson is a great QB no question about that but they can win with out him...Ok if they have to trade him then lets see what JS and PC can create with the draft picks they get for him...teams win because of strong organizations not just great individual players... No one player is bigger than the team... im totally OK with letting him go because I believe in the organization...

LTH
    LTH
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information