Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Russell Wilson sets deadline for new contract

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tusc2000 wrote:The only way a Russ trade could work for us is to get the # 1 overall pick and select Kyler Murray. I don't see how that happens. And I don't see anyone else playing QB for us besides Russ or Murray. Not if we want to go to the playoffs, that is.

Why do you say this?

I don't think Pete's offensive philosophy is beholden to a Russell Wilson style QB. In fact, I think Pete's offensive philosophy has shown that he can have different style of QB's..............even going back to USC with having both drop back QB's (Palmer) and allusive scrambling type QB's (Sanchez).

If Russell gets traded, it's 100% because Pete and John came to the conclusion that they just don't want to hamstring their cap by forking over 35-40M per year to Russell, and they think they can build another SB contender without him.

It won't be because they have to have Murray or another Wilson type QB.

Dotn agree

Okay in Coleg ehe coudl throw any type of QB out there. That si fine when you consider most college terams only have 3=5 NFL caliber player son it.

This is the NFL, and PCs system requires a QB who is mobile, can play behind a bad pass blocking oline, can throw a great long ball, can throw on the run, can make stuff up if need be, oh and can be very very productive with limited attempts while not throwing a lot of picks.

There are not many QBs who fit all that, and if PC thought he could get away with less he would have already.

Then why'd Pete sign a 6'7" stiff as our backup?

All Pete's offense requires is an accurate play action passer that can make plays in the 4th quarter if the game is tight..........he wants his run game and defense to do most of the work. Clutch, smart, great work ethic, accurate, playmaker. That's what Pete wants.

I'm sure Pete loves Russell's skillset as much as most of us do, but it doesn't mean THAT'S the only way he can run his offensive schemes.

In fact that's one of Pete's biggest assets as a coach, his ability to identify what a player does best, and put that player in the best situation to compete and succeed.

Not really his strength on offense.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• Oh look, it says here in that link that they
    debunk the results of the eye tests that have been completed with the help of blurred vision
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

• Palmegranite wrote:Oh look, it says here in that link that they
    debunk the results of the eye tests that have been completed with the help of blurred vision

Not sure of your point, what they are saying is in 2012 Wilson did not meet the eye test due to height. However the facts and stats showed that was wrong
    John63
    NET Starter

• So, if Russ gets traded to another team, will he still end every press conference and interview with, “Go Hawks!” ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• James in PA wrote:So, if Russ gets traded to another team, will he still end every press conference and interview with, “Go Hawks!” ??

Go Giants!
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• If he does go would Wilson be the most hated athlete to leave Seattle or would fans respect his decision and just be happy what he did while he was here? Or do fans just blame his wife like the Gretzky trade?
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:
    James in PA wrote:So, if Russ gets traded to another team, will he still end every press conference and interview with, “Go Hawks!” ??

Go Giants!

Is there a http://giants.net link?
    Asking for a friend. :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

• Cyrus12 wrote:If he does go would Wilson be the most hated athlete to leave Seattle or would fans respect his decision and just be happy what he did while he was here? Or do fans just blame his wife like the Gretzky trade?

Hate him? No way. He brought us our only SB title and almost brought us two. He will be revered forever.
    RastaHawk12!
    NET Starter

• Well I guess we will all see at Midnight or tomorrow regardless of all the speculation, then again there is probably just going to be silence from Wilsons camp and the Seahawks and it will be all Mediots and so called inside sources.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Is the “deadline” midnight Seattle time or midnight New York time?!

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Talks intensify between Wilson and Hawks
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:13 pm

• Wilson's "deadline day" has arrived.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

• FlyingGreg wrote:Wilson's "deadline day" has arrived.

yup either he gets the contract, or we have to wait till the end of the year for new talks. Unless they are so close he extends it that is LOL
    John63
    NET Starter

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:

Yeah! I am not buying it, maybe if it were someone other than King. Sorry, I will believe it when the Hawks or Wilson says it. More click bait, and I Could argue that he knows it will get done so saying it is a win win for him.
    John63
    NET Starter

• Lots of smoke here but why not use everything you got make Seattle pay you top $.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• Does anyone know what number Wilson is looking for?
    GLio14
    NET Rookie

• GLio14 wrote:Does anyone know what number Wilson is looking for?

I would say only Wilson, his agent, and the Seahawks know that. The "rumor" is he wants an unprecedented sliding scale contract that will adjust based on the likely infusion of sports gambling money and higher salary caps in future years - which is pretty smart on his part.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

• First of all King is full of shit, Wilson and his Agent know you don't use the word Never negotiate again in anything when your trying to land a contract.

You may say start looking for a team willing to offer etc, but not Never.

You could say that we won't try to get a deal done till after the season also.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Wilson showing his true colours. If this was about getting Rodgers esque deal it would be done by now.

Trade him to teh Bills, it's New York after all.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Wilson wants to be a global star, not just a high paid QB in Seattle. If he’s determined to get out then let him go.
    If Wilson wants to go to New York I’d rather send him to the Jets for Darnold and a couple picks than let him go to the Giants for a couple firsts.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

• His true colors? He's just trying to get a new deal. Happens league wide, why is it not ok for Russ? Just curious.
    Now all the sudden he doesn't want to be in Seattle? He hasn't said that once, in fact he already said he wouldn't hold out.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• This has been a "interesting" thread to read. As a Rams fan first I hope Russel does get traded or ends up walking after a couple of tag years. As a seahawks fan I think it would be a mistake. Can you win a SB with out a great QB? yes of course several teams have. But the NFL is steadily moving towards more and more offense, which makes that harder and harder every year. Could the Seahawks get a big trade and draft another QB that is good enough? Again sure but considering how few QB's are ever even just good enough that get drafted the odds would be against it. To me this is why QB's make so much.

I have mixed feelings with the upcoming contract for Goff, he is good enough to win with obviously. But as has been shown you pay a QB top money and it makes it hard to build a team around them. Just look at the Packers.
    nutluck
    NET Bench Warmer

• UK_Seahawk wrote:Wilson showing his true colours. If this was about getting Rodgers esque deal it would be done by now.

This is all agent related stuff. They do this kind of stuff all the time. Leak things to sportswriters, set deadlines, suggest their star is happy to go elsewhere. I doubt a lot of this comes from the player himself who'd rather do other stuff than keep close tabs on negotiating.

We'll probably never know where Russ wants to go. He's always personally said he was happy in Seattle. But sometimes the grass is always greener.

Nonetheless, we've had a lot of players leave Seattle only to say they hated the organization they went to because Seattle really looks after its players and gives them a positive work environment. Not every organization is like that.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• UK_Seahawk wrote:Wilson showing his true colours. If this was about getting Rodgers esque deal it would be done by now.

Okay please prove were Wilson said anything that as you put it showed his true colors? You can't because he has not, this is all media speculation with little to know proof.
    John63
    NET Starter

• Mad Dog wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:Wilson showing his true colours. If this was about getting Rodgers esque deal it would be done by now.

This is all agent related stuff. They do this kind of stuff all the time. Leak things to sportswriters, set deadlines, suggest their star is happy to go elsewhere. I doubt a lot of this comes from the player himself who'd rather do other stuff than keep close tabs on negotiating.

We'll probably never know where Russ wants to go. He's always personally said he was happy in Seattle. But sometimes the grass is always greener.

Nonetheless, we've had a lot of players leave Seattle only to say they hated the organization they went to because Seattle really looks after its players and gives them a positive work environment. Not every organization is like that.

Russ is extremely image conscious.

No way he lets something this ugly (I WONT NEGOTIATE EVER AFTER MIDNIGHT!!) unless there is some truth to it.

It may be his agent leaking all of the NY stuff, but he works for Russ. Calculated Russ is very aware of what is being said and why.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• I cant blame Russ for leaving if he does. A career of Bevell and now Shotty is enough to drive any QB mad. That being said, he's a once in a lifetime talent that needs resigned. If not, its back to the drawing board with a coach who will be leaving soon and a return to those 7-9 days leaving the fans wondering what happened and what could and should have been.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Yep, 6 wins MAYBE
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• pittpnthrs wrote:I cant blame Russ for leaving if he does. A career of Bevell and now Shotty is enough to drive any QB mad. That being said, he's a once in a lifetime talent that needs resigned. If not, its back to the drawing board with a coach who will be leaving soon and a return to those 7-9 days leaving the fans wondering what happened and what could and should have been.

I've been saying this the last year +, only difference is I put this on Pete since he is the common denominator behind our putrid offensive strategy. Anyone close to Russell that knows the game would be advising him to run as far as he can from Pete Carroll if he wants to achieve all his potential. Just that simple.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• From that article,

A few other things, counter to the current rumor mill. I do not believe Wilson is pushing for a trade right now, to the Giants, or anywhere. I believe he wants to work out a deal with Seattle. I believe Wilson wants to know where he stands with the Seahawks long-term, which is one of the reasons why he is pushing hard for a deal to be done now. I believe if the Seahawks do not do a deal by midnight tonight, it doesn’t meant they don’t want Wilson to be their quarterback for the next decade—it just means they’re not willing to set a contractual precedent like tying his contract to how fast, and how high, the cap rises over the life of the deal.

This actually seems like a pretty reasonable take on the whole situation.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:I cant blame Russ for leaving if he does. A career of Bevell and now Shotty is enough to drive any QB mad. That being said, he's a once in a lifetime talent that needs resigned. If not, its back to the drawing board with a coach who will be leaving soon and a return to those 7-9 days leaving the fans wondering what happened and what could and should have been.

I've been saying this the last year +, only difference is I put this on Pete since he is the common denominator behind our putrid offensive strategy. Anyone close to Russell that knows the game would be advising him to run as far as he can from Pete Carroll if he wants to achieve all his potential. Just that simple.

Yeah, run from the guy that orchestrated 2 superbowl appearances in a row and numerous roster purges to put the team in a competitive situation every year including LAST year where everyone predicted doom and gloom, HELLO playoffs.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• pittpnthrs wrote:I cant blame Russ for leaving if he does. A career of Bevell and now Shotty is enough to drive any QB mad. That being said, he's a once in a lifetime talent that needs resigned. If not, its back to the drawing board with a coach who will be leaving soon and a return to those 7-9 days leaving the fans wondering what happened and what could and should have been.

Not to mention Carroll
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• So tired of this shit.

That agent is truly a piece of work, I mean good for Wilson, but god damn what a hustler
    quadsas
    NET Starter

• KitsapGuy wrote:

The negotiations are ongoing as the agent is here. I rather doubt that there will be no further negotiations if they aren't quite finished by tonight.

Let's get this done and move forward.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• This is as bad as listening to the Clash, should I stay or should I go.?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Shoot, even if that 3rd tag jumps way up the average for the next 4 years will still look like a bargain. Especially after we see what Mahomes gets. Now the average with him playing out this year and doing just the two tags, really pretty good for the Hawks overall on average per year.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• I know the Wilson fanboyism is strong in here, but I'll continue to place my faith in Pete and John. If they can't reach a deal with a guy whose agent is using the negotiating tactics of someone who wants to force his way out-of-town then so be it.

Do what is best for the team. Not what is best for Wilson.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• Deadline passed, and there will be no contract extension this year is my prediction.

The Seahwks hold the cards here and even next year. RW needs to kick back and let this play out.

He is not currently in position to demand Jack Squat, He's under contract and control (cap friendly)for the next 2 years.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Well if we know he doesn't plan to stay, and we want to get anything out of letting him leave, I doubt we have him for more than 2 seasons myself. Signing a 2nd tag (for year 3) and expecting a trade partner is not a very likely scenario IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information