Cody Barton is the ideal modern inside linebacker

Jville

Reaction score
602260166.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by George Frey/Getty Images
.....................................................................................................................................................................................

Good morning. Here is some reading material for your Saturday Morning.

Matty F. Brown thinks Cody Barton is the ideal modern inside linebacker.

Seahawks on tape: Cody Barton is the ideal modern inside linebacker >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/5/17/18629842/seattle-seahawks-cody-barton-nfl-draft-scout-report-projection-tape-inside-linebacker-pete-carroll[/urltargetblank]

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thanks for the link! Interesting and relevant videos there in the article.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think he'll make a really nice replacement for KJ, but calling him the "ideal" inside LB is a real stretch. I like that he is willing to mix it up with a center or guard, but "ideally" he'd be about 10 to 15 pounds heavier at 6'2 and 1/2 while also having longer arm to keep from getting locked onto, and on top of that, have quite a bit more explosion after being able to stack a shed. He's not slow like KJ, but also not fast as well.

I like the player, like the brain, and there are a lot of good physical traits, but calling him "ideal" is fairy make believe land type stuff. The ideal inside LB has already been a perennial all pro for the Hawks for quite a while now. Maybe that's why though...somebody trying to talk themselves into something just in case he doesn't re-sign.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
TruHawkFan9.0":s67k4od9 said:
He'll put that 15lbs on by next season.

I'm excited for this kid
Not sure he should. His lower body isn't a wide base balance and he already is lower than average in explosion as seen by his vert and long jump so his mobility would suffer. If he adds weight he needs to do so gradually while working on explosion.

And on top of all this, there's nothing that says he is a better prospect than BBK. BBK is a much better athlete, only weighs 7 pounds less even though he's 2 inches shorter (game of leverage) and has identical arm length to Barton. BBK also outperformed every other off-ball LB in the country as a senior.

I'm not sure that Barton will ever even start for the Hawks. Same with BBK, but the point is that there is a label of being "ideal" and that's guano. I still like the prospect quite a bit, but damn...

lukerguy

Reaction score
I watched the play by play of Barton vs UW and he was invisible. I hope there were other games where he showed up. He looked to have an issue with block shedding and didn't look overly fast.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
lukerguy":1jw2ujmz said:
I watched the play by play of Barton vs UW and he was invisible. I hope there were other games where he showed up. He looked to have an issue with block shedding and didn't look overly fast.
Also watched both of those games recently. He played on the edge a lot over the UW TE's and had some problems with Sample and Otton both. Otton basically body slammed him in the second game and was blown off the ball by both players in both games. He also must have missed 4 tackles alone in the first game trying to tackle Gaskin.

I initially liked this pick and still do, but see him directly competing for WLB with BBK in a year due to his pass coverage, which is his biggest strength. He has a knack and understanding of how to head off routes. He's a WLB, IMO, and don't want him responsible for steong side A gap in Under or strong side B gap in over. He'll likely continue to be tried at MLB and may even be the backup there this year, but he'll end up at WLB eventually, IMO.

His pass coverage strength is likely why a fieldgulls writer thinks he's "ideal."

vin.couve12

Reaction score
For reference, your ideal inside LB is somewhere between Ray Lewis' pass coverage ability ( he was lacking at the POA) and Jeremiah Trotter's play at the point of attack (he destroyed OL as a practice). Your ideal inside LB is a model like Junior Seau or Bobby Wagner.

King Dog

Reaction score
" Ray Lewis' pass coverage ability ( he was lacking at the POA)"
Yeah. Right. hahahaha

vin.couve12

Reaction score
King Dog":1rwovltl said:
Yeah. Right. hahahaha
Ray Lewis was undersized coming out of college and played like it. He continued to get KTFO on a regular basis throughout his career, including by our very own FB, Mike Rob. Mike Rob layed Keuchly out as well. A MLB that gets KTFO by a FB is lacking, period.

King Dog

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3kik54i3 said:
King Dog":3kik54i3 said:
Yeah. Right. hahahaha
Ray Lewis was undersized coming out of college and played like it. He continued to get KTFO on a regular basis throughout his career, including by our very own FB, Mike Rob. Mike Rob layed Keuchly out as well. A MLB that gets KTFO by a FB is lacking, period.
Just because you say it is so, does not make it true. Nice try. HOF

vin.couve12

Reaction score
King Dog":3ry54gkl said:
vin.couve12":3ry54gkl said:
King Dog":3ry54gkl said:
Yeah. Right. hahahaha
Just because you say it is so, does not make it true. Nice try. HOF
Welcome to the real world. Ray Lewis was flat backed too often in his career.

[youtube]CGZp6xP_59o[/youtube]

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
You can't hide at LB if he can't shed blocks and make tackles our gets caught out of position it will be obvious . We'll see how he does on game day . Right now he's just a rookie LB that has proven nothing.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that article Jville, great read!

If you read between the lines it is easy to see why Seattle picked this player, many have posed the belief the player was a reach, based upon 'expert valuations'. Time will tell on that line of thinking but the film seems to show different. Regardless he seems a fit for our scheme and Pete is good at finding guys who fit.

To me draft grades prior to 3 seasons are somewhat pointless even if they have simple minded entertainment value. Until we see Barton play pro ball it is early to anoint him a good pick or pan him as a bust. It seems his fundamentals are strong though.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I believe that Barton, Blair and BBK were selected to counter the Rams shallow-crossing passing attack in certain sub-packages, and likely that of Cardinals as well with their drafting of Kyler Murray and hiring of Kliff Kingsbury. I like all three picks.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Reading through this thread, here’s a few of my thoughts.

Loved Barton’s tape. Those wringing their hands about linebackers being able to stack and shed blocks at the college level aren’t seeing the whole picture. It’s the biggest mistake I have made over the years while evaluating linebackers. Kuechly could not get off blocks in college either, neither could Wagner. It’s the reason I wasn’t as high on either of those guys coming out, but I’ve learned my lesson. If guys can cover in the passing game, diagnose in the run game, and slip blocks, then they usually translate very well. A middle linebackers job in the run game depends greatly on the guys up front. Ideally you have at least one guy that can eat up blocks, keeping your backers clean so they can diagnose and make plays. It’s a big key to Kuechlys success as well as Wagners. On top of that, Barton shows more ability to stack and shed than either of those guys did coming out, although not the athlete. The best guys I’ve seen at the college level getting off blocks and able to plug in the run game usually never translate...because they are huge thumpers that can’t move sideline to sideline or cover. Those guys wash out pretty quickly in today’s day and age.

Barton obviously won’t start this year, barring injury. He will be a huge special teams guy for the next few years. Bobby probably gets extended an additional 2 to 3 years and then I expect Barton is the guy when he is done. BBK’s skill set is much more conducive for WILL than Barton. I expect BBK to slide in at WILL after this year, not Barton.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
pcbball12":3rbd2mhg said:
Reading through this thread, here’s a few of my thoughts.

Loved Barton’s tape. Those wringing their hands about linebackers being able to stack and shed blocks at the college level aren’t seeing the whole picture. It’s the biggest mistake I have made over the years while evaluating linebackers. Kuechly could not get off blocks in college either, neither could Wagner. It’s the reason I wasn’t as high on either of those guys coming out, but I’ve learned my lesson. If guys can cover in the passing game, diagnose in the run game, and slip blocks, then they usually translate very well. A middle linebackers job in the run game depends greatly on the guys up front. Ideally you have at least one guy that can eat up blocks, keeping your backers clean so they can diagnose and make plays. It’s a big key to Kuechlys success as well as Wagners. On top of that, Barton shows more ability to stack and shed than either of those guys did coming out, although not the athlete. The best guys I’ve seen at the college level getting off blocks and able to plug in the run game usually never translate...because they are huge thumpers that can’t move sideline to sideline or cover. Those guys wash out pretty quickly in today’s day and age.

Barton obviously won’t start this year, barring injury. He will be a huge special teams guy for the next few years. Bobby probably gets extended an additional 2 to 3 years and then I expect Barton is the guy when he is done. BBK’s skill set is much more conducive for WILL than Barton. I expect BBK to slide in at WILL after this year, not Barton.
Put on the Wagner Auburn tape. It is a clinic for going head up against OL and shedding directly. Barton isn't remotely close to being anywhere near as effective as Wagner in that department coming out of college and Keuchly still can't stack and shed to this day. You're also not necessarily forced to choose between a huge lumberer vs a pass coverage backer. That's an extreme argument to fit a narrative.

Seafan

Reaction score
Great talent and depth at LB means good STs. Guys like Shem are going to have to make names for themselves on teams. That's great for the Hawks.