So why has John Ursua not been in a reg season game yet?!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • He does not look to be injured and he has only had two catches in pre-season (for 26 yard average). He looked darn good but now not in a game for even one play. ??????
    ExBassGuide
    NET Practice Squad

• In 2018 he got more receiving touch downs than any other player in collage!!!!
    ExBassGuide
    NET Practice Squad

• Saving him for the playoffs. :twisted:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I lost track of the inactives for last two weeks... has he been on the 45-man roster?
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• He is listed on the hawks site as being on the team.
    ExBassGuide
    NET Practice Squad

• The question for him is he better than the guys ahead of him on the roster? In all he’s not shown enough yet in practice to move up the DC.

So far he hasn’t been active.

He’ll get his chances before long.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• I too would like to see him active and on the field. He can't do any less than Jaron Brown.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

• The Hawks are saving him for some reason . He is pro ready for a rookie ; so I think he will line up soon; maybe this week.
    xray
    NET Veteran

• Jazzhawk wrote:I too would like to see him active and on the field. He can't do any less than Jaron Brown.

How do you know? If he runs routes less well and misses blocking assignments, he’s doing worse than Brown.

Brown stays on the roster because of what he does without the ball in his hands. Rookies sometimes don’t realize there’s more to the game than catching a football. Gotta know the x’s and o’s inside out.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• onanygivensunday wrote:I lost track of the inactives for last two weeks... has he been on the 45-man roster?

In week 1 Ursua was inactive.

In week 2 Ursua was active and participated in 2 snaps with the offense.

Logged injury and inactive reports as of this week >>> http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=156151&p=2308710#p2308710
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• As Jville stated, Ursua was active last week. He's buried on the depth chart below DK, Lockett, Brown, Turner, and Moore will be back.

I'm assuming he goes back to inactive this week.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• He's not a big bodied blocker to spring Carson, Penny, and Prosise downfield on outside runs, but when Schotty installs the Air Raid, I think I heard he was planning to debut it in the Rams game, Ursua will be seeing tons of snaps. I would swear Ursua was targeted once by Russell in the Cincy game, but I might be mixing that up with preseason.

Yes, I'm joking about the Air Raid. But ya never know...
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• Does anyone know which of our WRs had the most snaps as slot in the last two games?
    Last edited by toffee on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:Who had the most snaps as our slot in the last two games?

The question is who would you bump to activate him ? Metcalf? Lockett? Brown? Turner?
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    toffee wrote:Who had the most snaps as our slot in the last two games?

The question is who would you bump to activate him ? Metcalf? Lockett? Brown? Turner?

No, no, yes, why not.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• For the millionth time, you don't see the active roster as a backup unless you contribute on ST. He's not a starter, he's not going to be a starter any time within the next 3 or 4 years, and he doesn't offer anything on ST more than anyone else who is already better at ST than he is. It's the same damn thing with Ferguson, who literally offers nothing on ST. They are developmental players. Injury is his best bet to get snaps and Moore is coming back.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• olyfan63 wrote:........when Schotty installs the Air Raid.....

So Pete tendered his resignation then?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• McGruff wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

No, no, yes, why not.

You say that but does Ursua block like Brown? Does he cover on special teams like Turner as a Gunner?

There is more then catches and Yards received these guys have to do.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:

If Brown collects more penalties he could be seated .IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• Mad Dog wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:I too would like to see him active and on the field. He can't do any less than Jaron Brown.

How do you know? If he runs routes less well and misses blocking assignments, he’s doing worse than Brown.

Brown stays on the roster because of what he does without the ball in his hands. Rookies sometimes don’t realize there’s more to the game than catching a football. Gotta know the x’s and o’s inside out.

Right, because Brown's holding penalties blocking have been covering him in glory so far.
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• McGruff wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

No, no, yes, why not.

Why would you suddenly bump up Ursua over Turner at this point? In addition to special teams contributions, Turner just had 3 catches for 54 yards at Pittsburgh and looked very good. I like Ursua as a potential slot guy down the road, but Turner is the real overlooked commodity at this point.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• He's not in the game because he's not game ready. All most of us as fans see are the penalties or average play from Brown. But then what if Ursua goes out and screws up, or causes a penalty like Barton did in the Bengals game? At the end of the day, coaches are trying to win games. And their jobs are on the line. They don't get to experiment and then eat crow like the rest of us.

If they're not seeing what they need to from Ursua in practice, then it's not his time yet. I have no doubt Ursua will be a stud, but the coaching staff has a different responsibility from fans. Ursua is an unknown. Great preseason, but that's all we know so far
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• He needs to be returning punts.

Seeing Tyler L out there returning punts is freaking me out. It is too risky. If Tyler gets hurt out offense takes a huge hit.

Ursua should be out there on point returns.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:He needs to be returning punts.

Seeing Tyler L out there returning punts is freaking me out. It is too risky. If Tyler gets hurt out offense takes a huge hit.

Has he ever done that before? After all, the most important part about returning punts is catching the ball. That can be tricky and you don't want somebody back there who's going to muff it too often.

Besides, I'm not sure he's all that fast.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Ursua is inactive today. :(

I guess they’re saving him for the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• Glad he wasn't active so they had more room for special teamers.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Jazzhawk wrote:I too would like to see him active and on the field. He can't do any less than Jaron Brown.

Read my mind on that one.
    Optimus25
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:He needs to be returning punts.

John Ursua is an elite threat as a punt returner, just check his college numbers.
    Freshman year, at Hawaii...team’s primary punt returner...logged eight returns for 63 yards...exploded for a 30-yard return versus New Mexico (Oct. 29), his longest return of the season.
    Sophomore year, followed up with an electrifying 2 punt returns for 11 yards.
    There ya go, 10 punt returns, 74 yards, No mention of any muffs, so that settles it, sit Tyler on punt returns, play Ursua.
    OK, maybe not inspiring numbers, but if Ursua can fair catch and not muff, it's all good.

TwistedHusky, I do actually agree 1000% with you that seeing broken leg Lockett out there on punt returns feels risky given his importance to the offense. I sorta recall someone doing decent on punt returns in preseason but can't recall who it was or if I am hallucinating/projecting and it was an opponent.

Malik Turner has 0 stats for punt and KO returns in college.
    Rashaad Penny had some pretty inspiring KO returns in college, but only did 2 punt returns, as a senior. However... his punt return numbers were 2 returns for 70 yards, with a TD.

So use Penny, trade for Tate, or maybe bring Nate Burleson out of retirement?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information