Mathews Penalty

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mathews Penalty
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:49 am
  • Ramfan128 wrote:This game was a near perfect game for the officials - the Ansah hit on Goff was the right call, we all know you can't hit QBs low these days.

I get that the Ansah play is probably going to get called every time, but it really is a crap call. At some point refs need to make allowances for a player falling to the ground, which is essentially what happened with Ansah. He didn't dive at the knees. Honestly, if I were anywhere close to talented enough to play football, there is no way I would play defense. The league is just too anti-defense with their rules.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:53 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:It was also FIRST DOWN. They make it sound like it extended the drive or something.

:ditto:
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:42 pm
  • The only thing with Mathews to me was he definitely made no attempt to hold back even if Wilson baited him a little bit, Mathews wanted to demolish Russ who was somewhat unprotected after his throwaway. What I view as the penalty and unnecessary part was after Mathews hammered Russ with a strong shoulder, Mathews then full-strength arms extended pushed down Russ has he was jarred and unbalanced. Mathews might have had a clean hit but he made no attempt to hold up as evidence of his strong follow through that was unnecessary.

Even then not sorry, no one is talking about Ansah practically being blocked into Goff’s knees where he did nothing malicious in trying to tackle Goff before or after contact, a penalty that came on 3rd Down and turned a FG Att into an eventual TD.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:45 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:If you watch the play again, and you see the correct angle, you can very clearly see a forearm shove after the initial hit.

Personally I think that secondary “shove” is what drew the flag.

I haven’t seen it broadcast since the game, and I only saw it the one time in slo-mo replay but I saw it very clearly. It’s not surprising that the particular angle in slo-mo isn’t being aired.

Yes, it was basically a forearm to Russell's ribs, and a bit of a cheap shot by Matthews.
    I think there was so much over-focus on the helmet-to-helmet aspect that this shot was overlooked, and quite possibly the primary reason the hit drew a flag.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:48 am
  • Hey, credit where it's due. Russ did a pretty good flop there. I'd give it 3 stars at least.

:twisted:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:57 am
  • The Matthews call was not as impactual as the call on Ansah.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 am
  • I'm done with the media. They all stink
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 am
  • The penalty on Ansah was the correct call. He was off balance but he hit him low & if anybody did that to RW & there was no flag this place would go into total meltdown.

The call on Matthews was also correct because the crown of his helmet hit RW in the facemask & he gave him an extra forearm shove even though he knew the ball was long gone. All the refs know Matthews for doing this stuff & he'll never get the benefit of the doubt because it just happens too often with him.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Rookie

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:48 am
  • Hockey Guy wrote:The penalty on Ansah was the correct call. He was off balance but he hit him low & if anybody did that to RW & there was no flag this place would go into total meltdown.

The call on Matthews was also correct because the crown of his helmet hit RW in the facemask & he gave him an extra forearm shove even though he knew the ball was long gone. All the refs know Matthews for doing this stuff & he'll never get the benefit of the doubt because it just happens too often with him.

Sometimes you get Reputation penalties, Burfict and Matthews are two, Romanowski used to get them also if something looked close or wacky due to his style of play leading up to whatever happened over the years.

If you are an aggressive cross the line player your in the officials report watch list.

Think of Basketball, some guys can get away with Murder and others flagged for bumps.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:16 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Hockey Guy wrote:The penalty on Ansah was the correct call. He was off balance but he hit him low & if anybody did that to RW & there was no flag this place would go into total meltdown.

Sometimes you get Reputation penalties, Burfict and Matthews are two, Romanowski used to get them also if something looked close or wacky due to his style of play leading up to whatever happened over the years.

If you are an aggressive cross the line player your in the officials report watch list.

Think of Basketball, some guys can get away with Murder and others flagged for bumps.

Totally agree. I'll also add that if you're a player that always plays it up like you're the victim of bad calls when replays clearly show you're not, you won't get many breaks from officials.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Rookie

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:39 am
  • I recorded this game as I was away from my tv and in a watering hole. I watched it again this morning. It was a good call as the post hit was followed thru by an extended shove to the ground by Mathews. He could have faded away and there would have been a no call on the helmet to helmet as it would have been more of an incidental contact rather than an egregious penalty. But NO, he basically slammed RW to the ground after seeing the ball gone. He did not fall on him which I really did expect, but still the method of dropping him to the surface was harsh enough to me to draw the penalty.

There was a play where the front person got to RW and Clay did thump him in the back forcing His head movement to change direction. RW did not see the backstab coming so could not prepare for it. I did not think much of it tho.

Pretty much a good overall game with that final kick sealing the victory.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:43 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:I'm done with the media. They all stink

Maybe you should listen to Mad Dog Russo on SIRUS. He called the Ram's fans and his own producer whiny idiots. He also pointed out the extra shove by Mattews and thought the officials called an even game. He was hard on our i''ll fated play in the closing drive and wondered why we didn't feed Carson. He questioned if Pete learned anything from his Superbowl Loss.
    Boohman14
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:09 pm
  • Boohman14 wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:I'm done with the media. They all stink

Maybe you should listen to Mad Dog Russo on SIRUS. He called the Ram's fans and his own producer whiny idiots. He also pointed out the extra shove by Mattews and thought the officials called an even game. He was hard on our i''ll fated play in the closing drive and wondered why we didn't feed Carson. He questioned if Pete learned anything from his Superbowl Loss.

I'll have to check him out thank you.

It just feels like the media are a bunch of sheep, and they cater to the viewers as if we're a bunch of brainless fools. They're more interested in creating a narrative to sway the public's opinion. I'm done with it all man.

It was a great game and a great win for this team. Its frustrating the national media wants to hype up this one penalty.

The fantom holding on Brockers. The Gurley TD that should've been a delay of game. The earlier dirtier hit by Matthews. Not a peep about any of that.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:29 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:This game was a near perfect game for the officials - the Ansah hit on Goff was the right call, we all know you can't hit QBs low these days.

I get that the Ansah play is probably going to get called every time, but it really is a crap call. At some point refs need to make allowances for a player falling to the ground, which is essentially what happened with Ansah. He didn't dive at the knees. Honestly, if I were anywhere close to talented enough to play football, there is no way I would play defense. The league is just too anti-defense with their rules.

Ansah didn't try to avoid contact there, he grabbed his legs and didn't try to move his head or anything out of the way. He made it an easy call for the officials
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:58 pm
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:This game was a near perfect game for the officials - the Ansah hit on Goff was the right call, we all know you can't hit QBs low these days.

Ansah didn't try to avoid contact there, he grabbed his legs and didn't try to move his head or anything out of the way. He made it an easy call for the officials

Ansah was stumbling. Not sure how you can contort your body in that situation.

Matthews easily could have just pushed Russell. But he dropped his shoulder into him and in real time that’s going to bring your helmet close to the QBs helmet. You’ll get nailed more often than not. Lesson to learn is shove the QBs don’t drill them.

I thought both calls were ticky tack but evened out. I’m just glad the refs didn’t go insane on holding calls.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:55 pm
  • Mathews is a dirty player, it's so obvious to anyone who's actually seen him play more than a year. He deserves everything that's coming to him.
    jmahon316
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:03 pm
  • I with many of the others here. Meh. Let them whine. They need to talk about something. By laying the game on that play they are diminishing the teams real play. I feel this team does better being underestimated. The team will just keep winning and they can just keep whining.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:04 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Dear God, every damn time we win a game people make excuses. Not some of the time, EVERY time :roll:

iI's a topic of discussion here and in the news, a bit of a controversy, why wouldn't people be talking about it?
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:56 pm
  • I already posted, but I'm going to post again. F*ck Mathews, he's a dirty player that has no place in today's NFL and HE knows it but complains every chance he gets when a justified flag gets thrown because of him. F*ck you Mathews.
    jmahon316
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:47 pm
  • I think it’s absolutely hilarious that lamb fans have the balls to think they got screwed by a call. Maybe if they had a QB that could throw 4 TDs on 23 throws instead of 43 to throw 1 they would of won the damn game.
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:20 pm
  • sutz wrote:Hey, credit where it's due. Russ did a pretty good flop there. I'd give it 3 stars at least.

:twisted:

While I agree Russ baited Mathews I don’t Agee Russ flopped, Mathews’ initial contact jarred Russ and he was left unbalanced but probably could have remained upright had Mathews not fully extended his arms and pancaked Russ. That part was the foul and the fact that Mathews showed no attempt in letting up as he was a tick late and just like Blair’s ps penalty Mathews lead with his right shoulder instead of left making the helmet to helmet contact appear more closer than it actually was.

And to reiterate on Ansah, that’s going to be a foul every time but the biggest difference was Mathews was in control and he wanted to demolish Russ where as Ansah was in little control and was stumbling to regain his balance after being blocked into the ground but couldn’t get back upright with Goff simultaneously stepping up to get the throw off due to backside pressure closing in.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:49 pm
  • Well at least there were several more egregious calls over the weekend on PI and roughing the passer so people will forget the Matthews call.

The love tap that Dak received was particularly bad.

Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:40 am
  • It was a bad call in a series of bad calls for BOTH teams. On that brutal 3rd and 2 play call at the end of the game, there was a BLATANT Facemask on Lockett, no call. There were also pick plays going on all night by the Rams, not one was called. Excuses are for losers, which is what the Rams did, they lost.
    Matthews gave him a cheap shot early in the game, it was clear as day, nobody mentioned it.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:36 am
  • The press has to have something to talk about. If the Hawks had lost then the chatter would have been about how great the Rams were to come back, and how Pete made timing mistakes. Oh wait, that’s the chatter here.

The whole conversation about referees is becoming tedious, they are getting more media attention than the actual football. The whole we would have won except for the refereeing is starting to be the conversation about football instead of the great play of some players.

The national media would rather the flash team from LA won instead of the Hawks, fits their marketing better. As a Seahawks fan I’m just enjoying the W.

It’s all crap!

Now onto Cleveland, who will be unlikely to turn the ball over as much early to us as they did to the Digits.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:38 am
  • Yep, been enjoying the win every day. Red Zone after a win on Thursday was even better and more relaxing.
    I think the Browns game is gonna' be a battle. Road game against an angry and desperate team with a lot of talent, and a lot to prove.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:17 am
  • Matthews always deserves to be penalized. He is an evil man with evil intentions.
    Last edited by ballard1951 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    ballard1951
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 am
  • Matthews has always seemed to be offended by a QB who can escape him. I don't know if he plays that way against other teams but in any Packers/Seahawks game in years past you can point to several plays where he delivered an extra blow to Russell, usually unflagged.
    Torc
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:19 am
  • Yet he was the same guy who told Colin K "you're no Russell Wilson, Bro"
    So, I did like that.....
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:59 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Yet he was the same guy who told Colin K "you're no Russell Wilson, Bro"
    So, I did like that.....

No way...I really hope there's video evidence of this, going to try to find it now.
    jmahon316
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:59 am
  • Yep, it was amazing and you could hear it plain as day too.
    Actually it was "You ain't Russell Wilson, Bruh"
    He mocked the stupid bicep kiss thing too, so his stock was high in my book. At least back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DamYyFgUrwA Comment happens around the 55 second mark :2thumbs:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:19 am
  • TreeRon wrote:The Matthews call was not as impactual as the call on Ansah.

If that's not a word, it should be.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 am
  • Yeah that one was incredibly frustrating. Like Wyman says.....this isn't the Matrix, you can't stop in mid air. They likely will call that every time, but it seemed like a really ticky tack call. It wasn't late at all imo. Especially because that was a huge stop on 3rd down before that stupid flag.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Yep, it was amazing and you could hear it plain as day too.
    Actually it was "You ain't Russell Wilson, Bruh"
    He mocked the stupid bicep kiss thing too, so his stock was high in my book. At least back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DamYyFgUrwA Comment happens around the 55 second mark :2thumbs:

Thank you for that! It made my whole night
    jmahon316
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:14 am
  • No prob, messed up the quote but that was a great moment.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:16 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:...........The whole conversation about referees is becoming tedious, they are getting more media attention than the actual football.............

If they didn't totally suck half the time the narrative would go away. See the post just up from yours showing the "roughing" call on boy wonder Dak as evidence. If the NFL cared about the quality of its officiating and were willing to take steps to improve it and sustain said improvement we might not be having this discussion.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:31 am
  • I wasn't egregious by any means, but it was unwarranted and he made zero attempt to wrap up. He was hitting for the sake of a hit, not a tackle. If you lead in like that on any QB, it's at least going to be a 50/50 flag in real time. Now also factor in that he has a reputation for cheap hits, and that's why it was flagged. Maybe not technically a penalty, but sometimes you have to keep guys like that in check to keep things from getting out of control (e.g., Rams games in the Fisher era).
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 am
  • Shoot, if that hit was against Rodgers, Buck would probably start crying on the spot. :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am
  • 253hawk wrote:I wasn't egregious by any means, but it was unwarranted and he made zero attempt to wrap up. He was hitting for the sake of a hit, not a tackle. If you lead in like that on any QB, it's at least going to be a 50/50 flag in real time. Now also factor in that he has a reputation for cheap hits, and that's why it was flagged. Maybe not technically a penalty, but sometimes you have to keep guys like that in check to keep things from getting out of control (e.g., Rams games in the Fisher era).

This is my take as well. Matthews could have wrapped up or shoved Wilson and not drawn a flag but he chose to drop his shoulder into his chest. You are going to get called probably 60% of the time on that. He was maybe 4 inches low enough to be clean but in real time, the ref's not going to see it that way. Ref just sees that helmet close to Wilson's grill and reacts as he should with a flag.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:06 am
  • And Rams fans actually complaining out the Refs. That's rich :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:31 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:And Rams fans actually complaining out the Refs. That's rich :roll:

This X 1000
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:58 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:And Rams fans actually complaining out the Refs. That's rich :roll:

This X 1000

The difference being we actually have a QB that's proven and consistent, and doesn't choke in the biggest stage of them all
    jmahon316
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information