Reality Check! This is a rebuild!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Reality Check! This is a rebuild!
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:47 pm
  • This is what a rebuild looks like. One side of the ball stronger than the other. The large contracts on the defense are gone it was needed the team had ran it's course. Replacing the likes of Sherman,Thomas, Bennet, Avril, Chancellor and a would be large contract in Clark is not easy. On offense aside from Russ , Lockett and Brown who commands big money. Carson will require a nice salary. not sure on Britt his injury was nasty, We will see,

Final note in the playoff loss to the Falcons during the 2016 season hen they drove 99 yards just before halftime against the Seahawks I began to feel the run was over. The following year when the team was fighting for the division lead against Rams and the Rams came into Century Link and blasted the Seahawks 42-7 I THINK WE ALL KNEW A REBUILD WAS REQUIRED. They lost something like 3 of their last 4 and missed the playoffs.
    THIS IS A REBUILD. Good job by Pete and John Schneider Not to try to hang on to something that was not there.
    tersal
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Reality Check! This is a rebuild!
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:00 pm
  • Mmm...troll?
    TOPHawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:06 pm
  • Hell, if we're 7-2 during a rebuild, then I cant wait to see them at full strength!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:55 pm
  • tersal wrote:This is what a rebuild looks like. One side of the ball stronger than the other. The large contracts on the defense are gone it was needed the team had ran it's course. Replacing the likes of Sherman,Thomas, Bennet, Avril, Chancellor and a would be large contract in Clark is not easy. On offense aside from Russ , Lockett and Brown who commands big money. Carson will require a nice salary. not sure on Britt his injury was nasty, We will see,

Final note in the playoff loss to the Falcons during the 2016 season hen they drove 99 yards just before halftime against the Seahawks I began to feel the run was over. The following year when the team was fighting for the division lead against Rams and the Rams came into Century Link and blasted the Seahawks 42-7 I THINK WE ALL KNEW A REBUILD WAS REQUIRED. They lost something like 3 of their last 4 and missed the playoffs.
    THIS IS A REBUILD. Good job by Pete and John Schneider Not to try to hang on to something that was not there.

I think everyone everywhere is aware that this team started rebuilding last year. This isn't a revelation brother. Just be happy that we've managed to put out two good seasons while doing it.
    BigMeach
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:48 am
  • I wouldn't call this a rebuild, to do so is ignorant. I'd say on offense we are one TE away from having the best overall skill position players in the NFL. DK and Lockett are a formattable combo that we can keep around for years to come. Carson is statistically one of the best runningbacks in the NFL, and Gordon -- even if he is the same guy as he was in NE is still miles ahead of Jaron Brown and most third wideouts in the NFL. Our QB is currently playing better than the 31 other starters in the NFL.

This isn't a rebuild, no it is a redistribution. It is a Seahawks team that we are unfamiliar with. One that has its balance of power shifted to the offense, while the once vaunted defense is playing second fiddle. It is more akin to a Mike Holmgren team than a Carroll team. The fortunes this season will ultimately depend on whether or not Carroll is able to recognize that our only hope is to place hope in the offense. Pete ball is incompatible with this teams structure, and I'd argue both of our losses came at least in part because he tried to play that style.

Offense is the name of the game on this particular Seahawks team.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:59 am
  • I would agree that this is a rebuild. Just a very very competitive one.

The talent shedding this team has done since 2017 is enormous and replacing it will take time and very good/shrewd drafting, free agency and roster management.

Keep in mind that Clowney, Reed, Jefferson, Ansah, Kendricks, Taylor, Woods are all free agents after this season. Those are all key contributors on this (albeit bad) defense. So the defense will probably still be in transition next year.

So we're rebuilding, but with an Elite QB offsetting some of you're problems, you're still going to be competitive. The Patriots, Steelers, Saints and Packers have dealt with similar transitions.
    Yxes1122
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:27 am
  • Every team is changing personnel every season . The better organizations try to evolve into a better team than the previous one . The best organizations seem to accomplish that on a regular basis . Rebuild means a ground up overhaul ; which you seldom see . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 am
  • A 7-2 rebuild. Sweet Jesus, now I've heard it all. Trolltastic.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:14 am
  • It will be fun seeing this rebuild team in the SB in February.
    WarHawks
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:52 am
  • Reality check. Like I said before, 7-2 really sucks. Winning sucks.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 am
  • 7-2 is what a rebuild looks like? Mmmm'kay.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:25 am
  • Looking forward to a second half rebuild!!!! Playoffs baby :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 am
  • The word "rebuild" means the entire organization, not just one or two parts of the organization.

So no, just because because the defense is still rebuilding doesn't mean the entire team can be called a "rebuild." This is probably the best offensive unit Pete's ever put on the field. Is that a rebuild?

In the words of the great Inigo Montoya.........................

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:43 am
  • you see....wha' ha' happen was...……..
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:12 am
  • I don't necessarily agree with the term rebuild either, but it certainly hasn't reached it's final 2.x form yet. 7-2 is great, I just hope nobody is extrapolating that to think we are going to end up 13-3 or 12-4. This team is very flawed and championship teams don't lose 2 home games.
    MOCHawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:27 am
  • People can have any expectations they want. Why do people care so much if other fans have high expectations?
    I still think it's a 10 or 11 team. And that's damn good considering what they have to work with this year.
    At this point, I've changed my original expectations of 10 wins to 11 wins. No reason this team can't go 4-3 in the last 7 games. It will be a challenge w/the upcoming schedule, but big deal. Bring it on.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:33 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:People can have any expectations they want. Why do people care so much if other fans have high expectations?

Probably because people can be pretty sad/whiny/intolerable when our expectations get dashed. If we don't think how we feel affects other people, we haven't been paying attention.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:43 am
  • We've definitely been rebuilding parts of the team (o-line, d-line, and secondary), but I wouldn't call this a rebuild.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:43 am
  • All in how you look at it. Everyone deals with it their own way, and that's cool. I'd rather have high expectations than doom and gloom crap. Though I have no false hope that they are making the Super Bowl this year. I still see 11 wins and a trip to the playoffs.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:10 pm
  • That's the genius of Pete Carroll. Winning games during a rebuild.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:12 pm
  • How can it be a rebuild when John and Pete are ALWAYS building? These two are always looking for players to improve the team. We aren't tanking for high draft picks, we aren't trading away players for picks in hopes of winning in a few years. Make no mistake, John and Pete are still building this team, and as long as they are running this team they always will be building it to be better.

We were never better than 2013, and that team was about as unbalanced as this team. Our offense was barely average and our defense was elite, but nobody was calling it a rebuild then, but John and Pete were still constantly working to improve the team.

Now the shoe is on the other foot and the offense is the dominate side and the defense is struggling, but we are still 7-2 and in a strong position for the playoffs. This is just a simple continuation of John and Pete working with what they have to compete game in and game out while always looking at ways to make the team better.
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:13 pm
  • 2012 fans, truly are the best.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:16 pm
  • Proud to be a Hawks fan, not a "12" :stirthepot:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:08 pm
  • Just regarding the defense, it looks like a unit IN NEED of a rebuild. It looks like a house that has been neglected over the years with a leaky roof (secondary) and a cracked, sinking foundation (D-line). They put a tarp on the roof and pushed some grout into the cracks. Years and years have gone by but nothing substantive has changed; not a single standout to replace the broken pieces.

This offense can carry some weight in the regular season. It will be more difficult as we start playing contenders instead of pretenders. Even more so come playoff time. With a true elite QB such as the hawks have, it would take a real act of coaching and front office ineptitude to drop below .500. A deep run is not possible without at least an average D. The hawks need an Epic draft on defense but the way they are going a high draft pick is unlikely.
    Last edited by HawkerD on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 pm
  • Absolutely average defense + Elite offense, with capable passing game, and a big-time power run game = Super Bowl, baby!! Book it!!

This formula is also known as the 2005 Seattle Seahawks, with Hasselbeck, Alexander, Walter Jones, Hutch, DJack, Jurevicius, etc., and an absolutely average-but-improving defense with rookie LB Lofa Tatupu calling the signals.

So Pete I'm sure knows he just needs to keep improving the defense; they don't have to be elite like the 2013-14 group, just average and improving. Russell is better than Hasselbeck in his prime because he is less likely to turn the ball over against murderous defenses.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:38 pm
  • This is what rebuilds look like with successful teams. More of a "reload".

I'm tickled with this team being 7-2 this year. I figured we'd only get ten this year, with a run next year. A decent run this year is house money.

The word rebuild does not have to be negative.
    no4mk1
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:02 pm
  • The word "rebuild" means the entire organization, not just one or two parts of the organization.

So no, just because because the defense is still rebuilding doesn't mean the entire team can be called a "rebuild." This is probably the best offensive unit Pete's ever put on the field. Is that a rebuild?

When I Created this post it was not intended as negative.It was more of a response to the fire Pete threads and criticisms of the defense. I commended Pete and Schneider for realizing it was time to rebuild. This is a rebuild.
    Now as to the comments on the offense not needing a rebuild this rebuild includes the offense. I stated the rebuild began after the 2017 season. Case in point Russ led the team in rushing after the 2017 season with 586 yards on 95 carries. Subtract that and the team had just 1043 yards on 314 carries. 3.3 yard a carry. Pete then let Tom Cable and Darryl Bevell go and brought in run gurus Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Solari this alone should state rebuild for the offense. They then brought in DJ Fliuker to upgrade one guard spot and Ed Dickson to upgrade the ineffective blocking of Jimmy Graham and also drafted Rashad Penny in the first round.

Last year they improved to 4,8 yards a carry. Pete likes old school football win with defense and the running game. Running game rebuild complete time to get the defense going. I think they will get better before the playoffs. Pete is to good a coach and Wagner to strong a leader for this to continue. A Super Bowl win is not out of the question though they may need to catch lightning in a bottle. Flash Gordon?
    tersal
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:10 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The word "rebuild" means the entire organization, not just one or two parts of the organization.

When I Created this post it was not intended as negative.It was more of a response to the fire Pete threads and criticisms of the defense. I commended Pete and Schneider for realizing it was time to rebuild. This is a rebuild.
    Now as to the comments on the offense not needing a rebuild this rebuild includes the offense. I stated the rebuild began after the 2017 season. Case in point Russ led the team in rushing after the 2017 season with 586 yards on 95 carries. Subtract that and the team had just 1043 yards on 314 carries. 3.3 yard a carry. Pete then let Tom Cable and Darryl Bevell go and brought in run gurus Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Solari this alone should state rebuild for the offense. They then brought in DJ Fliuker to upgrade one guard spot and Ed Dickson to upgrade the ineffective blocking of Jimmy Graham and also drafted Rashad Penny in the first round.

Last year they improved to 4,8 yards a carry. Pete likes old school football win with defense and the running game. Running game rebuild complete time to get the defense going. I think they will get better before the playoffs. Pete is to good a coach and Wagner to strong a leader for this to continue. A Super Bowl win is not out of the question though they may need to catch lightning in a bottle. Flash Gordon?
    tersal
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:20 pm
  • In this league, it's nearly impossible to have a top offense and defense at the same time and keep it year in and year out. Most good teams will be continually building portions of their program to keep competitive. The term rebuilding is almost always used to mean a team that is not really all that competitive and is using an influx of young talent to get back to playoff contention. Pete and John have continued to remain in playoff contention, thus it's not a rebuild
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:54 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:In this league, it's nearly impossible to have a top offense and defense at the same time and keep it year in and year out. Most good teams will be continually building portions of their program to keep competitive. The term rebuilding is almost always used to mean a team that is not really all that competitive and is using an influx of young talent to get back to playoff contention. Pete and John have continued to remain in playoff contention, thus it's not a rebuild
    ANNOUNCEMENTS
    Monday Night's opponent is top 10 n both stats.
    The team was on a downward trajectory now it is on an upward trajectory..
    Finally a Merriam Webster definition of the word rebuild:

Definition of rebuild
    transitive verb

1a : to make extensive repairs to : RECONSTRUCT
    rebuild a war-torn city
    b : to restore to a previous state
    rebuild inventories

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rebuild
    tersal
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:27 pm
  • Dissley, Hollister, Penny, Homer, DK, Jennings, Ursua, Haynes, Iupati, Jones, Smith, Willson, Brown, Gordon,

Flowers, Griffin, Griffin, Thorpe, Ansah, Clowney, Collier, Green Jackson, Ford, Woods, Bellore, Amadi, Blair, Kyndricks, Diggs, Thompson, Christmas.

Myers, Dickson,

In the last two or three years these players and I am missing some have come in to upgrade and replace our super bowl players.

Guess that's not a rebuild, it's just roster Churn.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:32 am
  • This thread is basically just the OP arguing with himself about the definition of "rebuild"

Safe to say, the roster is always churning, as per PC since he arrived

Matter of debate what state it's in now.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:57 am
  • Rebuild, hmm someone forgot to tell Wilson that.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:08 am
  • tersal wrote:-snip-
    They then brought in DJ Fliuker to upgrade one guard spot and Ed Dickson to upgrade the ineffective blocking of Jimmy Graham and also drafted Rashad Penny in the first round.

The irony of it all... Fluker has been injured more than he's been healthy this season; Dickson has bee on IR, and Penny has gotten very limited workload.

True, Fluker when healthy has been a beast; this year though, not so much.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:03 am
  • tersal wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The word "rebuild" means the entire organization, not just one or two parts of the organization.

By your definition then every team in the NFL is under a rebuild, because every team has weaknesses and units they're trying to improve and upgrade.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:45 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    tersal wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The word "rebuild" means the entire organization, not just one or two parts of the organization.

By your definition then every team in the NFL is under a rebuild, because every team has weaknesses and units they're trying to improve and upgrade.

Look the intention of my post is to state after missing the playoffs in 2017 the team is working to get back to the level of 2013. I consider that rebuilding, thus let us end all the negativity like fire Pete on this site. That being said I do think the team has amassed some really strong offensive weapons. The offense could very well lead the way the next few years.
    tersal
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:10 pm
  • tersal wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    tersal wrote:

Look the intention of my post is to state after missing the playoffs in 2017 the team is working to get back to the level of 2013. I consider that rebuilding, thus let us end all the negativity like fire Pete on this site. That being said I do think the team has amassed some really strong offensive weapons. The offense could very well lead the way the next few years.

That's not rebuilding. Rebuilding teams dont barely miss or make the playoffs. Using rebuilding is an excuse. It's an excuse why they have not hit on a defensive draft on years. Why they have not hit on a good defensive FA. It's an excuse for the reality that PC has not been getting it done for years. You put just about any other QB but Wilson and we aren't even close to the playoffs. He came to the Hawks with a built in advantage knowing the college players. Well that advantage has been over and very few great draft picks over the last few years. In fact name the last defensive pro bowl level defenders we have drafted? Hard to do huh.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:16 pm
  • Call it a rebuild or a rehab but call it a success! Loving the Monday night win over the 49ers. 8-2 just a half game out. Awesome.
    tersal
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:29 pm
  • This rebuild just keeps getting better and better! :irishdrinkers:
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:18 pm
  • I think when Pete and John came in and gutted the team...THAT was a rebuild...

Most every NFL team is in transition in one form or another...from year to year....

Most teams will try to maintain their core players.….either offensive or defensive or a combination.

Every teams core players will transition over the course of years...either through the draft or free agency.

Core players also are kept or released with the hiring or firing of Coaching Staffs.

Of course, not all teams move players the same as others...but I'm pretty certain...without knowing...that most teams are probably changing the same from year to year...give or take.

Right now (the last couple of years) we might be changing or "transitioning" more than others.....but a rebuild?...my thinking, or opinion is no.
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:29 pm
  • Not a rebuild

It is a reload
    warden
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 pm
  • MOCHawk wrote:I don't necessarily agree with the term rebuild either, but it certainly hasn't reached it's final 2.x form yet. 7-2 is great, I just hope nobody is extrapolating that to think we are going to end up 13-3 or 12-4. This team is very flawed and championship teams don't lose 2 home games.

Unknown how well the team will end up.

I understand what you're saying about winning at home. It's not an absolute, however. The Patriots won the 2002 and 2017 Super Bowl games after losing 2 games at home in each of those corresponding seasons. And that first one they were 11-5 overall. They also lost in SB 2008 despite going undefeated during the regular season.

Get to the playoffs first. Then worry about the rest.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information