Does Schotty get a head gig after this year?

getnasty

Reaction score
I must admit i was super down on this hire when it happen but BS has been better then i anticipated. Helps to have maybe the best QB in the league but he has this O putting up numbers.

What do you think his chances are of getting a head gig after the season are assuming the team continues it's success.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I believe that he needs 3 years with at least 2 sustained success in a program to make the next step. I could be spitballing but I think they look at a realistic record as well as what the ins and outs are of the team. Was he given cake and he only had to put icing on...or was he given roadkill and had to make a dress and build the dummy to fit all the parts successfully? Those are the questions that other teams will have to ask. I have a feeling DQ is fixing to be gone...so they may be looking. I dunno.

TreeRon

Reaction score
No
I'll adjust my opinion. He won't get a job after THIS year but with a couple additional years of showing his best while at Seattle he may/should get a gig.

xray

Reaction score
Whoa...6 games left...lets see ; but Wilson can make any coach look good and that's a fact . Wilson has been the saving grace on offense for quite some time ..not coaches .

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
Teams that could be looking for new HC are Skins, Denver, Carolina, Browns, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Gaints, Tennessee and maybe Houston and Dallas.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Schottenheimer's one of those coaches that is a better coordinator than a HC.

I felt the same way about him when he was hired, but he's actually doing a fine job, in his 2 seasons with Seattle, Wilson has really stepped up his game. Plus, they're scoring more TD's in the red zone, and unlike Bevell, he knows how to use his TE's.

Smellyman

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":utcd83b9 said:

I felt the same way about him when he was hired, but he's actually doing a fine job, in his 2 seasons with Seattle, Wilson has really stepped up his game. Plus, they're scoring more TD's in the red zone, and unlike Bevell, he knows how to use his TE's.

and he has been a middling Corrdinator his whole career.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
Smellyman":gyn8pmms said:
12AngryHawks":gyn8pmms said:

until the last 2 years he's been absolutely horrible in my opinion. I'm actually shocked that he got another shot, he was that bad.

Smellyman

Reaction score
getnasty":1d3tvu8w said:
Smellyman":1d3tvu8w said:
12AngryHawks":1d3tvu8w said:

until the last 2 years he's been absolutely horrible in my opinion. I'm actually shocked that he got another shot, he was that bad.

and walked into a generational QB in his prime

HawkGA

Reaction score
I would say he needs to have a couple more years of success.

Then again, I expect the Browns to be desperate as nobody in their right mind would take their job, but he does have a family tie to the area.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
getnasty":1o6rcip3 said:
Smellyman":1o6rcip3 said:
12AngryHawks":1o6rcip3 said:

He was stuck with some pretty awful QBs though. You can’t make filet mignon with mutton.

I think he’s done more in two years to evolve Wilson’s game than Bevell ever tried to do. That alone makes him a good OC. He is not evolutionary in his passing game but he does generally call a solid game and does well in the red zone.

That being said I think he caps out at OC. Not sure he’s got the charisma to lead a team.

chris98251

Reaction score
The wave of OC's were just hired by a lot of teams and many are failing, what he brings is a focus on the running game and success there and QB mentorship, that can't be overlooked.

The Seahawks will need to make playoff noise, obviously they have been pretty successful with a middling defense up till now which a savvy GM will also notice as well.

He is from a family that is a football legacy as well, it could happen.

I expect a new wave of hires to be defensive oriented coming, the NFL cycles that way.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
A team like the Chargers could go for him since they had some of their best years with Marty.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2i7xstxk said:
The wave of OC's were just hired by a lot of teams and many are failing, what he brings is a focus on the running game and success there and QB mentorship, that can't be overlooked.

The Seahawks will need to make playoff noise, obviously they have been pretty successful with a middling defense up till now which a savvy GM will also notice as well.

He is from a family that is a football legacy as well, it could happen.

I expect a new wave of hires to be defensive oriented coming, the NFL cycles that way.
Tbh Marty(his dad) with the player's he had just did not get it done..
Should have but never did.

seabowl

Reaction score
Take away Wilson and how good is he really?

chris98251

Reaction score
seabowl":1iqxjnza said:
Take away Wilson and how good is he really?

Take away Rivers and how good is that team, take away Elway and how good is that team, take away Marino and how good is that team, take away Rodgers and how good is that team, take away, we can go on, but Schotty with a bad QB made them better, with a good QB he has had success and a Front office that will give him the tools he needs and a Head Coach that will give him the OK to implement his system.

It's more then just the OC.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I do think Schotty has pushed Russ to become a better QB and elevate his game even higher. But really, all Schotty did was get a Ferrari and add turbo to it. With a couple of nitros and some continental tires.

The question is, can Schotty elevate a Honda, Kia, or a Ford to be greater than what it is. I suspect the answer is no.

Yea, any team without a great QB falters, but the great offensive coordinators and coaches elevate their QBs. I have zero doubt that Trubisky would have been trash last year and even worse this year without Matt Nagy. Schotty can work on another team but he'll need an elite talent.

chris98251

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3p4od05t said:
I do think Schotty has pushed Russ to become a better QB and elevate his game even higher. But really, all Schotty did was get a Ferrari and add turbo to it. With a couple of nitros and some continental tires.

The question is, can Schotty elevate a Honda, Kia, or a Ford to be greater than what it is. I suspect the answer is no.

Yea, any team without a great QB falters, but the great offensive coordinators and coaches elevate their QBs. I have zero doubt that Trubisky would have been trash last year and even worse this year without Matt Nagy. Schotty can work on another team but he'll need an elite talent.

He made Sanchez look a lot better in New York, I would say he has proven himself a QB whisperer and that offense was rated pretty good with their balance and running game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Russell's pocket awareness and willingness to step up in the pocket have improved dramatically with Schotty as his OC.Yes, Russ is amazing but he's become even more so with Brian's tutelage along with his own maturation.